PDA

View Full Version : Tents again

Elger
07-02-2008, 13:53
OK. We're back! Be nice.

What is the trail weight of the Hubba HP? The site says 2.9lbs minimum, but what do they call "minimum"? I like what I hear about the Hubba but at 4 lbs it's a monster in my book.

Anyone using the MontBell Cresent 1 who can review it for me? It is some kind of "hybrid". Part single part double wall. How is that working?

And what about the Terra Nova Laser Photon? Trail weight and dimensions.

And last, I have heard great things on the Backpacking Lite site about the Big Sky Evolution 1. However they ravaged the owner for horrible delivery times and his putting everyone off for months and months. Has that gotten any better. The tent sounds awesome but I have no desire to get into a delivery war with anyone.

optimator
07-02-2008, 22:40
My Mont-Bell Crescent 1 is going to be delivered tomorrow. I'll let you know more when I get to play with it:banana

optimator
07-03-2008, 15:17
Well.... Campsaver sent me a Kelty Crestone instead of the Montbell :mad: Guess we'll have to wait till next week to check it out....:(

optimator
07-03-2008, 15:21
And it's a Crescent 2 I ordered, not a 1

stranger
07-03-2008, 22:43
Minimum generally means:
- Poles
- Fly
- Tent

So obviously with a groundsheet, 6-8 pegs, some guy lines and a stuff sack you will be looking at more weight, in some cases as much as a pound.

Elger
07-11-2008, 11:21
optimator:

Bummer. Don't forget to let me know about the cresent if and when you get it.

optimator
07-21-2008, 10:46
Eljer, got the tent:banana PM sent with info about it.

Summit
07-21-2008, 11:38
Eljer, got the tent:banana PM sent with info about it.More secrets going on here than a daytime soap opera! :eek: :p

optimator
07-21-2008, 12:05
More secrets going on here than a daytime soap opera! :eek: :p
Ha ha! Nah, since nobody else had really posted up anything about the Montbell tents I figured there was no point in posting up pics etc.... That was funny tho!

FamilyGuy
07-21-2008, 12:48
I will be using a Hubba HP in the next two weeks and have one in my hands. Weights:

Stakes and guyline - 4 oz
Pole repaid sleeve - 1 oz
Stuff sacks - 2 oz
Inner / Outer tent - 28 oz
Poles - 13 oz

It comes to 3 pounds even on my scale and 2 lbs, 9 oz minimum, which would be the tent, fly, and poles.

BTW, the Crescent 2 is tested at www.backpackgeartest.org (http://www.backpackgeartest.org).

Elger
07-22-2008, 21:06
Familyguy, I have heard from many that the HP has a real problem at the foot end with the fly rubbing against the stakes holding up the tent there. One report has the fly tearing up in a big wind. One solution (temporary fix, not solution really) was to pad the stakes with something. Just a heads up.

Elger
07-22-2008, 21:19
As to my initial question I believe the Big Sky is the next great tent. Modern materials, great design and double wall; all the elements in one tent. Unfortunately the company gets excoriated for, well, never actually shipping the tent. Heard of one guy who waited a year! So until they get that straightened out I won't be doing business with them.

MB Cresent looks great too but over on the site that was mentioned as having a review, (there were actually three), unfortunately no one has taken it around the block yet so jury is out on them. The reviews were for the Cresent 2, not the 1, but I should think that except for dimensions and weight, one could extrapolate the 2 for the 1 as to functionality.

I am about convinced to go with the Seedhouse SL1.

What I really need is no job and an unlimited shelter budget so I could get tarps, and single wall and double wall tents for all conditions. If anyone has that gig figured, without involving significant illegal activity, let me know.

FamilyGuy
07-22-2008, 21:52
Familyguy, I have heard from many that the HP has a real problem at the foot end with the fly rubbing against the stakes holding up the tent there. One report has the fly tearing up in a big wind. One solution (temporary fix, not solution really) was to pad the stakes with something. Just a heads up.

That's not possible because the pegs are pegged away from the tent with adjustable tensioners, unlike the regular Hubba. I just set it up based on what you said and honestly don't see how that is happening. By the way, both the foot and head end are identical.

Elger
07-23-2008, 17:26
Sorry, that really wasn't very clear, was it?

The problem was with the short poles that are lifting the foot end of the tent. It seems that the original Hubba had a hoop at the foot to hold up the tent and now it is straight poles and it is those poles that are catching the fly.

Bear in mind that I am just passing along what I have heard from several folks here and on other website forums. I don't have a Hubba HP, so I am not speaking from experience, although I was interested in getting one until I started to hear about that. I hope I am wrong.

RememberYourZen
07-24-2008, 11:37
For an AT thru-hike, should I look at free-standing tents or non free-standing?

Pedaling Fool
07-24-2008, 11:51
For an AT thru-hike, should I look at free-standing tents or non free-standing?
I use a free-standing tent, but either will work on the AT, it's all about personal preference.

RememberYourZen
07-24-2008, 11:53
I use a free-standing tent, but either will work on the AT, it's all about personal preference.

Excellent. Thanks