PDA

View Full Version : Mono Hot Springs

MOWGLI
07-02-2008, 14:18
I am thinking about going into Mono Hot Springs off the JMT. Bear in mind that I'm traveling SOBO on the PCT.

Has anyone here been to Mono Hot Springs off the trail? I'm looking for info on how you got there (and bacK, how was the walk, and any available info on what you thought of the place.

Similarly, any info on the store at Florence Lake?

Thanks.

Fannypack
07-02-2008, 15:25
here is a post (http://www.trailforums.com/index2.cfm?action=detail&PostNum=36700&Thread=7&roomID=31&entryID=99932)

Hot Spring near MTR
Whether you stop at MTR or not, I recommend the hot spring that is just south of their property. Sinking into the 4 foot deep bath-warm water haver several days on the trail was heavenly. You have to cross the river so it might not be worth it if the water is high and dangerous. I just waded across with no problem in late summer.
In 2001 we camped near the stream (not far from PCT) just across from the hot springs near Muir ranch but it was June 20 or so we never crossed the stream to go to the hot springs since the water was pretty high

Fannypack
07-02-2008, 15:31
in this post (http://www.trailforums.com/index2.cfm?action=detail&PostNum=36700&Thread=7&roomID=31&entryID=99932)
there is the following info and the post contains an email for the poster so you may be able to ask him some specifics on how to get to Mono Hot Springs from the PCT:

Mono Hot Springs
another option is to resupply at Mono Hot Springs, which is a little further than VVR but it sounds like it's worth it. I'm a sucker for hot springs so that's what we are doing this summer on our JMT hike. they have a PO so you don't have to pay for them to hold a resupply box. they also have a restaurant, cabins, tent cabins (i think) and of course the hot springs. seems like a cool place and i've only heard good about it. since it's a bit out of the way it may be worth taking a zero there.

MOWGLI
07-02-2008, 15:34
Thanks Fannypack.

Fannypack
07-02-2008, 15:47
I just looked at this map (http://www.tomharrisonmaps.com/Mono%20Web%20Map.pdf) and it appears that Mono Hot Springs in down the road from VVR . So it appears that there is a hiking route from PCT to Mono Hot Springs. It appears that it is south of where u descend the PCT to the VVR boat shuttle pickup point.

Now that I see where Mono Hot Springs is, i would say that u would either resupply at VVR or at Mono Hot Springs (i.e., Mono Springs campground). MOWGLI, with your contacts I am sure u can get more details on the Mono Springs Campground and facilities there.

Obviously , the if the hot springs are free or the camping is cheap, it maybe worth the trip.

Finally, if u are going is this summer there maybe more car traffic between Mono Hot Springs & VVR which would make leaving the PCT at Edison Lake (trail to VVR) an option.

Sly
07-02-2008, 16:05
The store is limited but has breakfast, lunch and dinner. www.monohotsprings.com (http://www.monohotsprings.com) You may want to Google Florence Lake.

MOWGLI
07-02-2008, 16:08
Thanks guys. I've been to VVR and don't want to go back this year. If I could avoid a $30 ferry ride for me and my daughter, and walk the most expeditious route to Mono Hot Springs, that is my preference. Unfortunately, the Harrison Maps cutoff Mono Hot Springs, so I can't see the trail route to town.

Sly, you been to Mono?

Sly
07-02-2008, 16:19
No I haven't been to MHS but it's mentioned favorably in Yogi's book by others that have. One route you could take that would bypass some of the JMT but most likely be a remarkable hike just the same without the ferry expense would be to hike over Goodale Pass south of Red's near Squaw lake to VVR and follow the road to MHS and then take the Bear Ridge Trail back to the JMT. You could also go to Fish Creek HS from Red's and then over Goodale Pass.

Thanks guys. I've been to VVR and don't want to go back this year. If I could avoid a $30 ferry ride for me and my daughter, and walk the most expeditious route to Mono Hot Springs, that is my preference. Unfortunately, the Harrison Maps cutoff Mono Hot Springs, so I can't see the trail route to town.

Sly, you been to Mono?

Fannypack
07-02-2008, 16:28
http://www.monohotsprings.com/post.html

There are three routes off the John Muir Trail to Mono Hot Springs.

The nearest is the Edison Lake Ferry that is only about a mile off the John Muir/Pacific Crest Trails.
Another popular route is to ride the Florence Lake Ferry. It is fairly easy to catch a ride to Mono from Florence Lake.
Another fairly easy detour is down the Bear Creek drainage to Mono Hot Springs

Good luck on your backpacking trip and we hope to see you this summer. Call (559) 325-1710 if you have any questions.

Many links to Sierra locations and nearby business or resorts:
http://www.sierrapacktrip.com/links.html

mts4602
11-19-2008, 11:39
Spam

Dogwood
11-19-2008, 18:11
I am thinking about going into Mono Hot Springs off the JMT. Bear in mind that I'm traveling SOBO on the PCT.

Has anyone here been to Mono Hot Springs off the trail? I'm looking for info on how you got there (and bacK, how was the walk, and any available info on what you thought of the place.

Thanks.

I have the map U need. If U would like to borrow it I'd be glad to loan it to U. It's the John Muir Wilderness-Inyo Nat. Forests-Sequoia-Kings Canyon Wilderness map put out by the Dept. of Agriculture.

It looks like U have 3 options:

1) get to VVR by walking around Lake Edison for about 4 1/2 miles along a sometimes muddy poorly maintained trail or take the ferry across. The lake was down about 8 ft. in early June when I was there this yr. and down a similar amt. in 07 when I was on the JMT. so perhaps U can just walk along the exposed sandy shoreline. From there either hitch or walk down the road to Mono Hot Sprgs(nice hot sprgs, I recommend them). VVR is at the end of a twisting narrow paved/gravel road. I believe its Rd 80 but I think most people know it as Mono Hot Sprgs Rd. There isn't a lot of traffic on this road near VVR but everone(mostly fishermen types with pick ups) are going back down the road right past Mono Hot Sprgs.

2) hike over Bear Mnt. on the JMT/PCT(the two trails share the same tread in this area) to the somewhat steep Bear Ridge Trl. Make a right(going SoBo on the JMT/PCT) onto BR Trl. Follow this trail about 4 miles to Rd 80 and follow the road south a couple of miles(about 2-3 miles, if U go the other direction on this road U arrive at VVR) down to Mono H S PO. This is probably your most direct route without a lot of unnessasary hiking.

3) hike over Bear Mnt. on JMT/PCT, make a right(going SoBo on the JMT/PCT) onto the Bear Creek Trail(beautiful Trail) and follow it about 4 1/2 miles to a TH at the end of a gravel/paved access road near a dam on Bear Creek. Walk the access road from the TH(hard but not impossible to get a ride at this TH, I did but I waited for nearly an hour to get it)about 2 1/2 miles to MONO Hot Sprgs. This route brings U even closer to Mono Hot Sprgs(less than a mile)

U could go somewhere near Florence Lake to resupply, but this is further. I know this sounds complex but if U saw the map U would envision it much better, but consider it is the Sierras not the AT. Resupply options R simply not what they R on the AT. If U want to hike 220 miles without crossing a road on the JMT this is what U deal with. U could also do a resupply at nearby Muir Trail Ranch, but it seems like too pricey an option for some. One more thing. No matter what way U choose to resupply it is going to be uphill getting back to the JMT/PCT.

wandering_bob
11-22-2008, 12:47
PCT = Perpetually Climbing Trail

Sly
11-22-2008, 12:52
Mowgli, another option may be resupplying at Muir Trail Ranch. It's $45 for a five gallon bucket, but it's only a short distance from the trail and has a hot springs not connected with the ranch in the area. If you hit the MTR right, you and your daughter may be invited by guest at the ranch to stick around.

MOWGLI
12-30-2008, 18:46
Update: I resupplied at Mono Hot Springs PO/General Store. Their selection of food is pretty limited, although they have a good selection of beer. I used their satellite phone to call home @ $2/min. The hitch back to the Florence Lake Ferry was harder than I had hoped. A lovely family took pity on us and drove us to the ferry launch - where we missed the last ferry for the night. The folks at the Post Office had given us wrong info about the last ferry. I ended up helping to teach the son of the guy who drove us to the ferry how to fish.

That night we stealthed near the ferry. I caught a plump brown trout for dinner - which was nice. In the AM rode the ferry across the lake. A nice 4-5 mile trail reconnected us to the PCT at Muir Ranch. We enjoyed the hot springs, loafed, fished, and headed up the trail late in the evening.

The Mono Hot Spring PO/General Store is a viable alternative to the Muir Trail Ranch resupply. We chopped some miles off the JMT hitching from Vermillion Valley Resort to Mono Hot Springs, but it was well worth it.

Sly
01-05-2009, 14:58
Update:

The Mono Hot Spring PO/General Store is a viable alternative to the Muir Trail Ranch resupply. We chopped some miles off the JMT hitching from Vermillion Valley Resort to Mono Hot Springs, but it was well worth it.

Yes, and avoided a big climb! ;)

Northbound, I hiked down all those switchbacks, and south, up the Bear Ridge Trail from VVR to avoid them.

Next time (nobo), I'll probably hike down Bear Ridge to VVR, and out over Goodale Pass to to pick up the trail again before Red's

MOWGLI
01-05-2009, 15:06
I just uploaded a photo of the ferry landing at Florence lake. There is a trail around the lake, but we choose the easy way.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=30537&c=684

Marta
01-05-2009, 15:38
Gorgeous photo!

Dogwood
01-05-2009, 16:02
MOWGLI, I'm glad it worked out for U. Like Sly said, U missed out on on a climb up and down. Going over Bear Mnt. provides no view and water is only available as U R going up or when U R coming down. How was the 4-5 milke trail back to the JMT? I don't have a map in front of me. It goes from Florence Lake to Muir Trail Ranch, right?

Dogwood
01-05-2009, 16:03
How much was the ferry?

MOWGLI
01-05-2009, 16:06
How much was the ferry?

$11 each.

http://www.florence-lake.com/FL-Ferry.html

MOWGLI
01-05-2009, 16:10
How was the 4-5 milke trail back to the JMT? I don't have a map in front of me. It goes from Florence Lake to Muir Trail Ranch, right?

It was beautiful! We saw a burro wandering around. The trail wanders back and forth across an old jeep track used to resupply the ranch. There were lots of beautiful meadows and forest.

And yes, it goes from the lake to the ranch. I jumped in the lake and took a swim before we started hiking. Unlike Edison Lake, Florence was mostly full. Edison Lake was pitifully low, requiring about a 2 mile hike from the usual launch spot. The pontoon boat at VVR was also out, so they were making runs in a motorboat that held only 5 hikers. Since there were about 30 hikers waiting to get across, you can imagine the wait.

Helmuth.Fishmonger
02-27-2009, 13:49

Thanks.

HOTTEST place I ever hiked to on the trail. If you can't get a ride from Vermillion or Florence Lake, depending on your direction, you are looking at slabbing it on hot pavement, not much water, dust, etc.

I don't resupply there any longer. Get the food mailed to MTR or Vermillion and don't go any further off the trail.

If you're into hot springs, there's a much nicer one before you get to Reds, if you go through Fish Valley instead of the regular JMT past Purple Lake. It's called Iva Bell Hot Springs and looks like this

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21036298@N07/2054736869/

view across the valley below

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dfinnecy/1331526650/

I actually prefer this route over the normal Muir Trail, even though it lost some of its attraction after the Rainbow fire charred much of the forest before you get to Reds Meadows.