PDA

View Full Version : Solong whiteblaze..

KirkMcquest
07-02-2008, 14:46
After reading the front page article on the home page, I've decided that WB has gone too far. The site was already ridiculously restrictive of posters' topics and overly intolerant of poster's differences of opinion. Yes, differences of opinion can turn some people off, but it can also attract many who enjoy normal 'back and forth' discussion. These people will not be overly vocal about it, they will simply join in. I'd say the huge base of people that are here contributing daily is ample evidence of which approach is more appreciated.

There are other sites that require posters to remain 'in line', their popularity speaks for itself. There is no doubt that posters here who are forced to hold hands and sing 'coombaya', will grow tired quickly, and choose to spend their time elsewhere. It's a shame that attroll and rock are so completely oblivious about what makes WB so much fun. Kinda like when Coke became 'New Coke' so they could taste more like Pepsi ( which was less popular!). Oh, well. Good-bye WB it was fun.

Kirk Mcquest

Lone Wolf
07-02-2008, 14:51

wilconow
07-02-2008, 14:52
Who Cares No One

Tin Man
07-02-2008, 14:53
LW, you forgot "farewell".

Cherokee Bill
07-02-2008, 15:10
:banana Me! I am just gald that "WB" is back. As far as thing being tightly controlled, well I have worked for a Defense Contrcator for 40-years, so take it from me, "you don't know how good you have it here" ;)

Cuffs
07-02-2008, 15:12
byeeeee.

tlbj6142
07-02-2008, 15:39
differences of opinion can turn some people off, but it can also attract many who enjoy normal 'back and forth' discussion.It wasn't a difference of opinion that got the site shutdown. It wasn't 'back and forth'. It was the insane level of personal attacks that had nothing to do with whatever subject was at hand.

sherrill
07-02-2008, 15:40
posters here who are forced to hold hands and sing 'coombaya', will grow tired quickly, and choose to spend their time elsewhere.
Kirk Mcquest

Maybe they leave if they sing that song. Never had to hold hands and sing "Kumbaya" here before, though.

If you want to leave, just leave. Why do people feel the need to make a public declaration?

IceAge
07-02-2008, 15:43
Don't let the virtual door hit you in your virtual you-know-what.

If you think the shutdown was about "normal back and forth discussion" you are too numb to participate here anyway.

Survivor Dave
07-02-2008, 15:45
After reading the front page article on the home page, I've decided that WB has gone too far. The site was already ridiculously restrictive of posters' topics and overly intolerant of poster's differences of opinion. Yes, differences of opinion can turn some people off, but it can also attract many who enjoy normal 'back and forth' discussion. These people will not be overly vocal about it, they will simply join in. I'd say the huge base of people that are here contributing daily is ample evidence of which approach is more appreciated.

There are other sites that require posters to remain 'in line', their popularity speaks for itself. There is no doubt that posters here who are forced to hold hands and sing 'coombaya', will grow tired quickly, and choose to spend their time elsewhere. It's a shame that attroll and rock are so completely oblivious about what makes WB so much fun. Kinda like when Coke became 'New Coke' so they could taste more like Pepsi ( which was less popular!). Oh, well. Good-bye WB it was fun.

Kirk Mcquest

Sorry you had a less than favorable experience here Kirk. I hope there is a website that might be more of what you are looking for.

SD

Tin Man
07-02-2008, 15:46
Maybe they leave if they sing that song. Never had to hold hands and sing "Kumbaya" here before, though.

If you want to leave, just leave. Why do people feel the need to make a public declaration?

He's just looking for attention. And like always, he is getting it. :rolleyes:

He'll be back.

Darwin again
07-02-2008, 15:48
he has one...longshanks :D

Thank goodness your cognitive dissonance is multimodal.:eek:

NICKTHEGREEK
07-02-2008, 15:49

Why do people feel the need to respond to a public declaration? I think you may have the answer to your own question

Darwin again
07-02-2008, 15:50
I see the general retardery is here in force, with all the usual suspects behaving all the same ways. :rolleyes:

slamajama
07-02-2008, 16:22
hiking site....im sure there are allot of political discussion forums

EMAN
07-02-2008, 16:29
Does some of this discussion not maybe apply to what ATTROLL and ROCK were talking about or am I missing something in the translations?

Lone Wolf
07-02-2008, 16:30
Does some of this discussion not maybe apply to what ATTROLL and ROCK were talking about or am I missing something in the translations?

yup, that's why i deleted my posts

ofthearth
07-02-2008, 16:47

good one

Frosty
07-02-2008, 16:49
I guess you have to figure that some people would not belong to a site where personal attacks are not allowed, and would leave.

This is the first real sign that the new policy is working.

berninbush
07-02-2008, 16:52
What ATTroll and Rock are trying to do is change the whole culture and flavor of the website. That's never easy to do in any kind of community. Culture change tends to be slow and gradual, and there are always folks who don't appreciate the new culture. When it's a website rather than a physical community, it's easier for people to leave-- which is entirely their choice and sometimes the best solution for all involved. Hopefully we can gracefully say "so long" and sincerely wish them luck... in keeping with the desired new culture of respect and friendliness. ;):)

Jason of the Woods
07-02-2008, 16:54
So, I'm new here but why censor a website? You would only get one side and opinion on things. Thats not very helpful.

mrc237
07-02-2008, 16:55
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZsnortZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Appalachian Tater
07-02-2008, 16:57
So, I'm new here but why censor a website? You would only get one side and opinion on things. Thats not very helpful.http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38668

Survivor Dave
07-02-2008, 17:00
IB, it's not sensoring. The owners of this site are moving forward to improve the quality for HIKERS. It had gone a bit awry a couple of days ago. It doesn't make sense to have it continue. So the rules that are now in place are not for sensoring, but guidelines like most good websites have. I hope you find it informative, there's lot's of good stuff here.
SD

So, I'm new here but why censor a website? You would only get one side and opinion on things. Thats not very helpful.

Marta
07-02-2008, 17:04

One of Whiteblaze's charms has been its lack of censorship, compared to other hiking websites. Unfortunately, a few bad apples seem to take over one conversation after another. Hence the search for a middle path.

angewrite
07-02-2008, 17:09
So what if there's a lot of confrontation, it’s only cyber space!! LIGHTEN UP MODS.

The "so what" is that the purpose of this site is to provide information and to be an open forum for people to ask questions. The site can't fulfill it's purpose if there is so much crap on the boards that you can't sift through it to find what you need or you're too afraid of being ridiculed to ask a legitimate question?

River Runner
07-02-2008, 17:09
Goodbye McKirk. I'm sure a few members who would prefer slamming others to sharing hiking experiences will be leaving in the next few days.

The new rules don't sound as much about censorship as they do about common decency. I'm sure those interested in learning and sharing in a reasonable manner will stick around.

bfitz
07-02-2008, 17:36
Hmmm..... I wouldn't leave WB altogether, since it's a way to keep in touch with many friends. But I'm definitely a little disappointed.

bfitz
07-02-2008, 17:40
The "so what" is that the purpose of this site is to provide information and to be an open forum for people to ask questions. The site can't fulfill it's purpose if there is so much crap on the boards that you can't sift through it to find what you need or you're too afraid of being ridiculed to ask a legitimate question?Not a problem. The search feature allows you to find all the information you need easy as pie. Innocent folks wandering in and asking a silly question aren't the folks being ripped. Ususally it's long time members with ongoing feuds coming in and ripping each other. And most of that ripping is well deserved and serves to teach others who read it about the risks of interacting with those people in person when they meet on the trail. So it's a good thing.

4eyedbuzzard
07-02-2008, 17:40

I highly doubt they're going to censor it for content, but rather on vulgar language, personal attacks, flaming, trolling, etc.

TOW
07-02-2008, 17:43

Kirk Mcquest
As the sayin' goes, "Don't let the door hit ya on the way out!"

Gray Blazer
07-02-2008, 17:46
Goodbye, don't forget to take Longshanks with you.

Survivor Dave
07-02-2008, 17:46
OK, OK, no need to amp it up anymore;):D.

Jason of the Woods
07-02-2008, 17:52
Hmmm..... I wouldn't leave WB altogether, since it's a way to keep in touch with many friends. But I'm definitely a little disappointed.

Couldn't have said it better myself.:-?

The Weasel
07-02-2008, 17:56
Goodbye, don't forget to take Longshanks with you.

...and your little dog too!

TW

Jason of the Woods
07-02-2008, 17:57
These "reason for being deleted" posts are almost as interesting as the posts themselves. It's all a marketing ploy.;)

bfitz
07-02-2008, 18:04
These "reason for being deleted" posts are almost as interesting as the posts themselves. It's all a marketing ploy.;)Wow, an entire discussion could be held via deleted posts by reading the reasons and guessing what the poster said. This could end up being very funny if the number of deleted posts increases significantly. Every cloud has a silver lining, I guess.

Gray Blazer
07-02-2008, 18:06
Wow, an entire discussion could be held via deleted posts by reading the reasons and guessing what the poster said. This could end up being very funny if the number of deleted posts increases significantly. Every cloud has a silver lining, I guess.

That could be interesting. I already got deleted and I couldn't remember what I wrote.:p

Lilred
07-02-2008, 18:16
As the sayin' goes, "Don't let the door hit ya on the way out!"

I always heard it as 'don't let the doorknob hit ya where the good Lord split ya.....:D

NerdyJohn
07-02-2008, 22:50
I want to be a moderator too! How much does it pay? Is an Rx plan included?

Pokey2006
07-02-2008, 23:02

Why??? Unless you act totally different in the political threads, which I don't read, you don't have any reason to feel as guilty as obviously feel, judging by the tone of your posts today. YOU are not the problem, as far as I'm concerned. Again, unless you're a different person on other forums, which I doubt. Your wisecracks are NOT what's bringing down Whiteblaze. Don't think it for another second.

Tin Man
07-02-2008, 23:09
Why??? Unless you act totally different in the political threads, which I don't read, you don't have any reason to feel as guilty as obviously feel, judging by the tone of your posts today. YOU are not the problem, as far as I'm concerned. Again, unless you're a different person on other forums, which I doubt. Your wisecracks are NOT what's bringing down Whiteblaze. Don't think it for another second.

He don't feel guilty about anything. :)

You certainly get LW. Many don't. And I think he is just trying to set a good example.

doggiebag
07-02-2008, 23:19
For what it's worth - I agree. I actually enjoy LW's posts. They're actually pretty funny. But I do find my sense of humor to be a little off sometimes. YMMV.

Nearly Normal
07-03-2008, 02:39

Kirk Mcquest

Troll.........no more.
Thanks

fiddlehead
07-03-2008, 03:03

I agree Bfitz.

Too bad that 4 or 5 people had to ruin things for everybody.

Odd Thomas
07-03-2008, 05:29
That could be interesting. I already got deleted and I couldn't remember what I wrote.:p

Me neither, which bugs me, because if it was important enough to need deleting I feel like I should at least remember it. Now I'm all self conscious that maybe I'm some kind of blackout forum jerk.

Lone Wolf
07-03-2008, 07:02
seems trailplace is having it's problems too. there's a gun thread and a whiteblaze thread that's heated. mechanical man left the website cuz they deleted a thread of his about whiteblaze. it needs wingfoot back :D

MOWGLI
07-03-2008, 07:03
seems trailplace is having it's problems too. there's a gun thread and a whiteblaze thread that's heated. mechanical man left the website cuz they deleted a thread of his about whiteblaze. it needs wingfoot back :D

Peace be with them. :p

Tin Man
07-03-2008, 08:14
Peace be with them. :p

sounds like religious fanaticism going on over there.

DavidNH
07-03-2008, 08:49
Hi Folks,

I for one am glad that the moderators did what they did. It is time this place got reigned in a bit. I love a little give and take as much as anyone (hey those Jack Tarlin and Warren debates are some of the best entertainment around!) but when it comes to disrespect, rudeness, or putting people down, that should have no place here.

If some folks can't handle even the tiniest amount of censorship then perhaps it is best they go. In the long run it is best for the rest of us.

Also, there probably be some point where a thread is considered covered and get closed. I mean.. when it goes on for like 10-15 pages.. it can take me all night just to follow the converstation. This may be easier said than done though because where does one draw the line?

Frankly, there is more than a little rudness to be found along the Appalachian Trail as well. But that is not a reason to have it here.

DavidNH (snickers)

warren doyle
07-03-2008, 09:20
I say Bravo! to the new policy of WB administrators.
I hope I can look forward to a 'kinder/gentler' WhiteBlaze.
I only wish this policy could have been in effect since 2003.
Happy trails!

The Old Fhart
07-03-2008, 09:26
For some reason this song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HECJLH4onZk&feature=related) from 'The Sound Of Music' comes to mind as I read this thread.

2-6-2006 "Sorry, there's only one Mcquest. And now that I know you all love me so much, I'm staying forever"

Cherokee Bill
07-03-2008, 09:49
For some reason this song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HECJLH4onZk&feature=related)from 'The Sound Of Music' comes to mind as I read this thread.

:D:D:D Old Phart, you're toooooooo much! Well chosen ;)

Alligator
07-03-2008, 10:05
Me neither, which bugs me, because if it was important enough to need deleting I feel like I should at least remember it. Now I'm all self conscious that maybe I'm some kind of blackout forum jerk.Some posts get deleted because they reference back the post that caused a problem or left standing they simply wouldn't make sense with the posts remaining.

Now if you wake up in moderated status and you don't know how you got there...;)

Odd Thomas
07-03-2008, 10:21
Some posts get deleted because they reference back the post that caused a problem or left standing they simply wouldn't make sense with the posts remaining.

Now if you wake up in moderated status and you don't know how you got there...;)

Ahh, so that's what a "Cascade of Dissent" is. In any case, what a cool name for a band! :p

kappy0405
07-03-2008, 12:35
Unless you act totally different in the political threads

ok, maybe im dumb because ive never seen any political forums here (and ive actually looked) yet they keep getting mentioned. can someone give a direct link to the political forums?? I was posting in a thread that got moved or deleted a few weeks ago and would like to see how the discussion panned out..

Odd Thomas
07-03-2008, 12:36
ok, maybe im dumb because ive never seen any political forums here (and ive actually looked) yet they keep getting mentioned. can someone give a direct link to the political forums?? I was posting in a thread that got moved or deleted a few weeks ago and would like to see how the discussion panned out..

You had to pay to see them, now they're impeached.

Survivor Dave
07-03-2008, 12:42
The political forums have been suspended as of WB coming back up.

envirodiver
07-03-2008, 13:15

The political forums are by subscription, so you can't access without subscribing. They are shut down for a few weeks, so you won't find them for a while.

kappy0405
07-03-2008, 13:29
i see... that pretty much explains it... and I agree, anything non-hiking doesnt really need to be discussed here anyway. thanks guys.

Lone Wolf
07-03-2008, 13:31

he's a Trailplace regular now :) kirkmcquest that is

woodsy
07-03-2008, 13:36
he's a Trailplace regular now :) kirkmcquest that is
Probably won't last long over there.:D

MOWGLI
07-03-2008, 13:39
I am actually hoping they are gone forever.

Are you referring to Longshank & McQuest, or the political forums? ;)

Bulldawg
07-03-2008, 13:47
Are you referring to Longshank & McQuest, or the political forums? ;)

I apologize for not be more clear, I meant the political forums. I don't know the previously mentioned member(s).

The Weasel
07-03-2008, 20:25
Goodbye.

The Weasel

Homer&Marje
07-03-2008, 20:34
Who Cares No One

One who cares enough to post a reply. Like yourself. Hope I don't start controversy i just disagree with those who say they don't care and then post a reply, of any sort.

valleyfire
07-03-2008, 21:03
See ya!!!!!!!!!!!

peter_pan
07-04-2008, 09:04
The break served effective notice and puts the site back on track as a viable valuable public forum...

All do not have to agree... In fact discent and alternate approaches, techniques, and or equipment are useful, assuming they are not illegal.

WB has always welcomed folk to a great forum.... The tenor of the chat should support an open welcome and not be off-putting.

Tis better to loose a few than to loose many... or worse to loose it all.

Thanks to Attroll, Rock and all the moderators for shouldering a tough chore....You are doing great IMHO.

Pan

bigmac_in
07-04-2008, 09:07
I'll miss reading that Mcquest's posts. I've found him to be very informative. If we're lucky, maybe he'll come back someday.

Looks like Kirk McQuest couldn't stay away. HexMcjinx join date 7/04/2008....

woodsy
07-04-2008, 09:08
I'll miss reading that Mcquest's posts. I've found him to be very informative. If we're lucky, maybe he'll come back someday.

Back already Kirk? LOL

Frolicking Dinosaurs
The break served effective notice and puts the site back on track as a viable valuable public forum...

All do not have to agree... In fact discent and alternate approaches, techniques, and or equipment are useful, assuming they are not illegal.

WB has always welcomed folk to a great forum.... The tenor of the chat should support an open welcome and not be off-putting.

Tis better to loose a few than to loose many... or worse to loose it all.

Thanks to Attroll, Rock and all the moderators for shouldering a tough chore....You are doing great IMHO.

PanWell said and Amen.

Wilson

You already are.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-04-2008, 09:16
These "reason for being deleted" posts are almost as interesting as the posts themselves. It's all a marketing ploy.;)There are a lot of new moderators -- they will likely not do things the way they have been done in the past. Give them time to try things and to find what works for them.

musicwoman
07-04-2008, 09:22
I've had a much easier time the last few days obtaining info off this site, and I feel it's because the moderators aren't allowing a few bad apples to hijack threads that start as informative exchanges of ideas.

This site is about exchanging and sharing information on something we all love. Let's keep it that way. As I said a few days ago, the new policy will be a rude awakening for those who need it most and it appears that is what is now happening.

I completely support the new policies. Way to go WhiteBlaze!!

Just my 2 cents.

Lone Wolf
07-04-2008, 09:23
Looks like Kirk McQuest couldn't stay away. HexMcjinx join date 7/04/2008....

:D yup.....

Odd Thomas
07-04-2008, 09:46
lol

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 7 characters.

The Weasel
07-04-2008, 22:40
So long, WB. Good luck.

-30-

Rusty

Rifleman
07-05-2008, 01:23
Mcquest can leave or come back, whatever he wants. As far as applauding the the 'new' censorship program on WB it's like applauding the "Patriot" Act for keeping us 'safe.' I'm not getting more or better information on the AT and backpacking in general nor am I any 'safer' just because a babushka deletes anybody's posts. More censorship/repression goes hand-in-hand with an authoritarian society. Everyone loses in the end.
R.

4eyedbuzzard
07-05-2008, 01:45
So long, WB. Good luck.

-30-

Rusty

You quittin' too?

Rifleman
07-05-2008, 03:08
Hermann Hesse didn't quit. He continued to write. He spoke out against the repression. He aided those who also spoke out. Wasn't it Edmund Burke who said " When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." Speaking Truth to Power starts with one man (or woman) and gathers strength from there.
R.

fiddlehead
07-05-2008, 05:34
Mcquest can leave or come back, whatever he wants. As far as applauding the the 'new' censorship program on WB it's like applauding the "Patriot" Act for keeping us 'safe.' I'm not getting more or better information on the AT and backpacking in general nor am I any 'safer' just because a babushka deletes anybody's posts. More censorship/repression goes hand-in-hand with an authoritarian society. Everyone loses in the end.
R.

I agree

But we are vastly outnumbered by the do-gooders.

(I would say sheep but trying not to get deleted.)

Lone Wolf
07-05-2008, 07:16
R.

start your own website. pretty simple

Lone Wolf
07-05-2008, 07:17
You quittin' too?

thanks to renee and i

Lone Wolf
07-05-2008, 07:23
I agree

But we are vastly outnumbered by the do-gooders.

(I would say sheep but trying not to get deleted.)

you could start your own website too with rifleman

Survivor Dave
07-05-2008, 07:24
This one's done.