PDA

View Full Version : Water from Wesser(NOC) to sassafras gap shelter

shades of blue
02-22-2004, 09:30
My AT guide book lists water in several places on the hike from wesser going nobo to the summit of Swim bald. The AT data book doesn't have any water listed at all until you reach sassafras gap shelter. Is there anyone who has hiked this area within the last year or so who knows which is accurate...the guide or the data book. If there is water on this section....where is it at....was it reliable or would you load up heavy on water at the NOC to get to the summit?
Thanks!
Michael

papa john
02-22-2004, 09:44
When I hiked this stretch 2 years ago, there were several places to get water. One of them was a very robust stream, but it was located off the trail, downhill of course, but had plenty of water. This place is aboutt 2.5 miles up the trail from NOC. Then 4.8 miles there is another spring. I don't recall having problems with water on this stretch other than it was July and hot as hadies.

smokymtnsteve
02-22-2004, 09:49
guide book..

shades of blue
02-23-2004, 15:28
Thanks for the information guys.

Kozmic Zian
02-29-2004, 14:57
Yea.....Cheoah Water. You're right to be concerned in this section. To my memory, there was no water until Sassafras. I carried two bottles. It was enough to get me there, but the big up taxes it. I drink on the ups. You best ration yourself.....if there's water, finding it is the issue. Looking requires energy, energy requires water. I just hump it up Cheoah. Once you get to the top it's not so bad. Then it's a nice walk to Sassafras Gap. KZ@

papa john
03-01-2004, 08:44
As I said in my earlier post there are 2 reliable water sources on this stretch. Both of them are off the trail and would ne easy to blow right past. The first one is in a gap where you will find a huge log to the right. The blue blaze to the water is on the left and is about 100 yds downhill.

The 2nd water source is 4.8 miles from NOC. I remember this was at the end of a long and grueling climb. The trail reaches a high point and turns hard to the right and decends. There is also another shorter trail the goes off to the right and up to a view point. If you decend on the AT you will make a switchback to the right. Keep descending to the next switchback to the left. Stop at the SB and look to your right. There will be a short trail that will take you to the water source. This is a spring coming out of the hill and there is a manmade waterhole for you to get the water from.

Even though we hiked this stretch in July and it was very hot, we tanked up at the 1st water source and had enough to get to the shelter.