PDA

View Full Version : Fall Hike

sasquatch2014
07-02-2008, 17:04
I am toying with where I would like to do a Fall hike. Right now I am thiking of SNP sometime in Sept but have begun to think of the SMNP as well. Here are my questions.

1) In General what is the weather down there in Mid Sept?

2) How many days on average would it take to complete the trail in the park?

3) When does the SoBo bubble tend to go through there?

Kerosene
07-02-2008, 18:24
I'll let others who have more SNP experience answer your specific questions. However, I'd encourage you to try to time your hike to take advantage of the Fall colors, which tend to peak in the latter half of October in Virginia. If you're set on a mid-September hike, then consider the Whites in New Hampshire or southern Maine (both of which are a lot more strenuous than SNP!).

sasquatch2014
07-02-2008, 22:14
I get ton's of fall colors where I live this is a good time for me as the kids are back into to school and I can still have some nice weather. I am planning a trip in a few years to do the LT during the fall all the great color with out paying leaf peeper rates.

Lone Wolf
07-02-2008, 22:16
I am toying with where I would like to do a Fall hike. Right now I am thiking of SNP sometime in Sept but have begun to think of the SMNP as well. Here are my questions.

1) In General what is the weather down there in Mid Sept?

2) How many days on average would it take to complete the trail in the park?

3) When does the SoBo bubble tend to go through there?

first week of october in the mt.rogers/grayson highlands area

rafe
07-03-2008, 07:19
As for SNP in mid-September:

1. Cool and pleasant, nights in the low forties.
2. 5-7 days. Even slow hikers can do 18+ miles/day in SNP
3. Sobo wave: Late September/early October (my guess) In any case the sobo "bubble" is pretty thin at that point

Predictions for SMNP -- I'll leave that for someone else, I haven't been round those parts for a loooong time. Suffice to say it's nearly the end of the trip for sobos, and the sobo "bubble" is quite scattered at that point.