PDA

View Full Version : What date do most NOBO thru hikers start?

Dworak
02-22-2004, 19:41
I am starting my NOBO thru hike on the 29th of March and was wondering how that relates to most of the other NOBO's. Is that a fairly late start, right in the middle, or where in relation to most everyone else who starts off from Springer? Thanks.

papa john
02-22-2004, 19:51
It seems that the start dates get earlier each year. I can remember starting out on 4/3/00 and when we got to Hawk Mtn shelter it was full to capacity with at least 20 people camping around the shelter and quite a few camped up at the trail junction. I would say that you are somewhere close to the middle. I wouldn't worry about it though as you can sometimes hike for hours and not see a soul. If you are wanting to stay at shelters and be able to sleep in them each night, you need to get up early and hike fast and stop early. The younger hikers almost seem to run from shelter to shelter.

Peaks
02-23-2004, 10:05
I am starting my NOBO thru hike on the 29th of March and was wondering how that relates to most of the other NOBO's. Is that a fairly late start, right in the middle, or where in relation to most everyone else who starts off from Springer? Thanks.

According to a survey of 136 thru-hikers done in 1989 by Roland Mueser, and published in his book "Long Distance Hiking," 20% started prior to March 29, and 80% started after this date.

Now, we suspect that in general, hikers are starting earlier than in 1989, but no one to my knowledge has done an analysis of how many start when. Perhaps Mountain Crossings will share/compile this information so we will all know.

Blue Jay
02-23-2004, 10:24
According to a survey of 136 thru-hikers done in 1989 by Roland Mueser, and published in his book "Long Distance Hiking," 20% started prior to March 29, and 80% started after this date.

Yea.......Roland. Yet again Peaks has proven how incredibly dated and worthless Roland's tiny sampled, 15 year old book has become. In 2001 when I went through in May the journals in the shelters clearly showed a clear majority of thrus started in March. I doubt in 1989 anyone started in February, now there are quite a few. Start when you can and don't worry about it, just try to avoid any self imposed deadlines. I find the AT to be the best when you lose track of days, weeks and months. Save the calendar for the rat race.

Kozmic Zian
02-23-2004, 10:32
Yea.....Starting Dates. I'm assuming, but relatively shure that their will be a bunch o' folks up there when the 29th comes around. Be ready to tent out. The shelters get quite full in N GA and the Nantahalas. By the time you get to the Smokies, some will have dropped out, but still hard to stay in shelters. Just get a good tent and don't worry about it. The shelters are only good when the weather's bad or yas gets lonely. That's one o' the reasons I hike is to get away from it all. Good Luck and Good Hiking.....KZ@

smokymtnsteve
02-23-2004, 10:46
YEA...rat race...your RIGHT again BLUE JAY
>>>Save the calendar for the rat race.