PDA

View Full Version : Smoke damage

Tilly
07-02-2008, 18:44
Well my apartment burned down. Almost everything is gone. 3 weeks after I had surgery on my L arm, and a week after my poor car was pelted with golf ball sized hail, leaving it broken and pitted.

Well I just wanted to do some complaining. Here is my real question.

I did get to drag my backpack out of the rubble, and it is okay structually except it STINKS obviously. So my question is,

How have you guys washed down stinky backpacks? (Or specifically, smoke damaged ones?) FWIW I have and Osprey an my bf has a Granite Gear.

Most of my gear was ruined except for the packs and hiking poles. Everything else has to be repurchased.

Oh, and another thing, I wore a Mt. Hardwear packwrap skirt since '04, and they don't seem to make the kind I had anymore. I did find an OR skirt but am skeptical. Has anyone tried the OR skirt, made of nylon? Or can recommed a hiking skirt that they like?

I used to have a sewing machine but it's gone, too.

Okay, I'll stop. But any idea would be great!

mudhead
07-02-2008, 19:41
Ozone machine at a dry cleaners. Cleaned a suit of mine that got nasty from a fire down the block. In a previous life.

Boghog1
07-02-2008, 20:35
for the skirt google turned up some places that have the mountain hardware skirt Sierra Trading post was one

Boghog1
07-02-2008, 20:38
ohh and sorry about the fire, from personal experience I ca say it stinks but at least you and your bf are okay

Jack Tarlin
07-02-2008, 20:41
Ozone machine is a good idea. And afterwards, try a lot of Febreeze. If it works on dead groundhogs, it'll probably work on smoke.

And lately, a lot of women have been wearing Mt. Hardwear Men's kilts, which several folks have told me recently are extremely comfortable for women hikers.

Jimmers
07-02-2008, 20:56
My condolences on the fire, I've experienced losing everything in one too (a long time ago, but I still miss my stuff).

As for the fire smell, it depends. All the chemicals that burn in a house or apartment fire can make it really difficult to get rid of the smell completely. If you're very, very lucky, you can do it with about 5 hand washings in a mix of water and simple laundry detergent. (heavy on the detergent)

If that doesn't work, your only other real option is the ozone machine. Febreeze is great stuff, but it won't kill smoke stench. At least, it didn't for me.

oops56
07-02-2008, 21:36
Wash in baking soda.or but pack in garbage add two boxes of baking soda sake it up 2 or 3 times a day if not ready put in new do over again.

Wags
07-03-2008, 00:59
eww sorry to hear your news :(

anyway i did a little reading on smoke damage to fabrics and if the other suggestions fail you may try this:

For persistent odors, place calcium carbonate crystals (chalk or chalk powder), activated charcoal, or soda in an open container and store with clothes or sprinkle soda directly on fabric and let stand; then shake or vacuum.

or this one, which apparently works on a car, but you could put em in your pack:

My parents also stored a box of apples in their car that was purchased from a smoker one week, as the garage was colder. Not only did the smoke smell disappear, but the car smelled wonderfully of apples!

Bob S
07-03-2008, 01:20
Ozone machine is the best way, and probably somewhat expensive to have done. It works by burning out all the smells fast. Ozone is dangerous to people so it takes a special room to use one of these machines. I would try alternative ideas first. Also it may be that the pack needs to be replaced. Did you have renters ins?

Almost all deodorizers mask the original smell rather then eliminate it (like Ozone does) so you end up with an item that now smells flowery instead of like smoke.

As far as the best and probably safest way to clean it yourself

If you think the pack can handle being submerged put it in a garbage can lined with a heavy trash bag and use dish soap (not too strong) to clean it. Smoke has oil in it and the dish soap will help to cut the oil. Use a clean bathroom plunger ($1.00 at a dollar store) to swish the soap and water around and up and down. Do this several times and then a few rinse cycles. Let the pack dry in the sun a few days.

Bearpaw88
07-03-2008, 08:10
I am sorry to hear about the fire.:(
We had a large house fire several years ago. I had to throw almost everything away just because of smoke damage. I am sorry to say I never had any luck getting it out of anything.:mad:
As for the skirt I saw several woman wearing the OR skirts this year. I did not hear any complaints except everyone else had one.:)
Best of luck.

mister krabs
07-03-2008, 09:20
Odo-Ban will help. You can get it at Sam's club or order it online. http://www.odoban.com/OdoBanRetail/OdoBan_Odor_Eliminator.html
My friend used it after a fire and says it worked for him. It got cat pee smell out of a sleeping bag for me.

bigcranky
07-03-2008, 19:42
Well my apartment burned down. Almost everything is gone. 3 weeks after I had surgery on my L arm, and a week after my poor car was pelted with golf ball sized hail, leaving it broken and pitted.

Well I just wanted to do some complaining.

I'm so sorry. Please complain away -- we're here to listen and provide some sympathy. Good luck with everything.

And I apologize but I have no idea how to get smoke out of your pack. But the above ideas sound good.