PDA

View Full Version : Closing Threads

The Weasel
07-02-2008, 19:53
The thread dealing with the "poll" about WB was just closed, with Skidsteer indicating that "All the positions have been posted. Closed."

I am not disagreeing. I do, though, have some thoughts for Rock and Troll and other moderators, such as Alligator and Skid as they consider how best to handle such things in the future.

Rock, in his "Hiking HQ" site, refers to forums as "Around the Campfire." That's a good analogy, whether the topic is a new kind of hammock or anything else: We're all sitting together, and, as the saying goes, 'Chewing the fat.' Sometimes everything that can be said about a topic has been said, but as long as people are still enjoying the flicker of the flames and good camaderie, there is no harm in continuing a discussion. That's so, even if there isn't much chance of convincing someone that a hammock is better than a shelter. It's just pleasant to continue to talk.

The problems begin when things at the campfire get too loud - "Shut up! I'm trying to sleep!" or too angry. That's similar to what has happened here recently. Discussions need to end when those engaged in them disturb others, or risk getting out of hand. It's good to end them then. No argument. If those involved in them can't stop, someone needs to step between them and stop them. That's what moderators do, and that's a good thing. I appreciate what Rock and Troll and Skid do in those cases. Thanks.

But I hope, as things go forward, that our Admins and Moderators don't pull the trigger too fast. Discussions that are amiable and don't look like they're getting out of hand might be allowed to continue, even after everything that can be said, has been said.

I know a lot of feelings are bruised and need to heal here. As Bfitz and I both agree (Wow!), it's good for everyone to just take a long deep breath. I hope more friendly discussions continue to happen.

Thanks, all.

TW

Darwin again
07-02-2008, 20:20
I am happy to see the quick triggers on the posts that go astray or afield or get too personal or nasty.

Though it's funny and mildly disturbing to see exchanges disappear, I understand they're being disappeared for a good reason. Changing the tone and culture of a group of people who are used to doing things a certain way is never easy and I applaud the efforts of the administrators -- it's no easy job herding this bunch of crochety cats.

If somebody takes umbrage with someone's post, it's an easy matter to be an adult and send a personal message to the person doing the posting. I think most of the pettiness we've seen could be eliminated by dealing with personal issues one-on-one. This would also diffuse the incendiary rhetoric of certain posters who play to the gallery, pretending to speak for some imaginary "we." If you don't like it, put it in a PM.

The acrimony that has colored this site in the past and constantly threatens to break out even now, even after the shutdown, seriously degrades the quality of this site and the forums. (And I say that with the full understanding that I've been involved in a punch-up or two.) I'm glad these types of things are getting stamped out before they can flame up into pathetic losses of dignity for everyone involved and the White Blaze community at large. (Not that many of us lay claim to much dignity, but you get my drift here...)

Leadership and professionalism are important during a culture change; I'm sure Rock is exerting guidance in that area. Beyond that, it's up to all of us to behave as if we've just up to a campsite or shelter after a day of hiking, showing respect and kindness to each other as we almost certainly would "out there."

Just doing that could make this site great, even greater than it already is. There. I'm done being reasonable...;)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-02-2008, 20:24
I am happy to see the quick triggers on the posts that go astray or afield or get too personal or nasty.

Though it's funny and mildly disturbing to see exchanges disappear, I understand they're being disappeared for a good reason. Changing the tone and culture of a group of people who are used to doing things a certain way is never easy and I applaud the efforts of the administrators -- it's no easy job herding this bunch of crochety cats.

If somebody takes umbrage with someone's post, it's an easy matter to be an adult and send a personal message to the person doing the posting. I think most of the pettiness we've seen could be eliminated by dealing with personal issues one-on-one. This would also diffuse the incendiary rhetoric of certain posters who play to the gallery, pretending to speak for some imaginary "we." If you don't like it, put it in a PM.

The acrimony that has colored this site in the past and constantly threatens to break out even now, even after the shutdown, seriously degrades the quality of this site and the forums. (And I say that with the full understanding that I've been involved in a punch-up or two.) I'm glad these types of things are getting stamped out before they can flame up into pathetic losses of dignity for everyone involved and the White Blaze community at large. (Not that many of us lay claim to much dignity, but you get my drift here...)

Leadership and professionalism are important during a culture change; I'm sure Rock is exerting guidance in that area. Beyond that, it's up to all of us to behave as if we've just up to a campsite or shelter after a day of hiking, showing respect and kindness to each other as we almost certainly would "out there."

Just doing that could make this site great, even greater than it already is. There. I'm done being reasonable...;)http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/shocked019.gif::: Dino faints because she has agreed with Darwin Again ::: http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/shocked019.gif

saimyoji
07-02-2008, 20:24
Ha. Grown men unable to control themselves. Damn, I'm victim too. :D

JAK
07-02-2008, 20:26
I think some times call for a quick trigger and other times call for a kind word. I also think it should be solely up to the moderator to decide what time it is. If it were me, it would no doubt depend alot on the mood I was in and how much patience I had left, and I don't see anything wrong with that. We lose patience. So should they.

Lone Wolf
07-02-2008, 20:27
The thread dealing with the "poll" about WB was just closed, with Skidsteer indicating that "All the positions have been posted. Closed."

I am not disagreeing. I do, though, have some thoughts for Rock and Troll and other moderators, such as Alligator and Skid as they consider how best to handle such things in the future.

Rock, in his "Hiking HQ" site, refers to forums as "Around the Campfire." That's a good analogy, whether the topic is a new kind of hammock or anything else: We're all sitting together, and, as the saying goes, 'Chewing the fat.' Sometimes everything that can be said about a topic has been said, but as long as people are still enjoying the flicker of the flames and good camaderie, there is no harm in continuing a discussion. That's so, even if there isn't much chance of convincing someone that a hammock is better than a shelter. It's just pleasant to continue to talk.

The problems begin when things at the campfire get too loud - "Shut up! I'm trying to sleep!" or too angry. That's similar to what has happened here recently. Discussions need to end when those engaged in them disturb others, or risk getting out of hand. It's good to end them then. No argument. If those involved in them can't stop, someone needs to step between them and stop them. That's what moderators do, and that's a good thing. I appreciate what Rock and Troll and Skid do in those cases. Thanks.

But I hope, as things go forward, that our Admins and Moderators don't pull the trigger too fast. Discussions that are amiable and don't look like they're getting out of hand might be allowed to continue, even after everything that can be said, has been said.

I know a lot of feelings are bruised and need to heal here. As Bfitz and I both agree (Wow!), it's good for everyone to just take a long deep breath. I hope more friendly discussions continue to happen.

Thanks, all.

TW

let it go. it's not your site.

Appalachian Tater
07-02-2008, 20:38
Well, this thread certainly went downhill fast!

JAK
07-02-2008, 20:44
I know what L.Wolf meant, and I think The Weasel does to.
Weasel made a good point, and so did L.Wolf.

Might not have been the best time to open a post about closing posts.

Tin Man
07-02-2008, 20:44
let it go. it's not your site.

Leave him alone, he is dealing with issues. I think his condition is called "debatus oddinfenitis" or something like that. Responding just makes it worse. :rolleyes:

JAK
07-02-2008, 20:46
Meant to say,

Might not have been the best time to open a thread about closing threads.

Maybe this isn't the best time for me to be posting about postings. :D

Darwin again
07-02-2008, 20:54
Meant to say,

(See thread about Deleted Threads...;))

TJ aka Teej
07-02-2008, 20:57
http://www.whiteblaze.net/rules.htm
See rule 3.

Appalachian Tater
07-02-2008, 20:57
"debatus oddinfenitis" I just wasted five minutes of my life wondering what a fenite was and how it would be odd and what it had to do with debating. Then I realized it was "debatus ad infinitum". Just in case that slipped by anyone else, too.

JAK
07-02-2008, 20:59
Thanks Tater. He might have meant a combination of "debatus ad infinitum" and some form of infectious disease.

Tin Man
07-02-2008, 21:10
I just wasted five minutes of my life wondering what a fenite was and how it would be odd and what it had to do with debating. Then I realized it was "debatus ad infinitum". Just in case that slipped by anyone else, too.

Thanks Tater. He might have meant a combination of "debatus ad infinitum" and some form of infectious disease.

Spelling is not an issue for me. Odd forms of never-ending debate are. :D

kayak karl
07-02-2008, 21:12
did somebody close a thread about hiking, did i miss something:confused:

MOWGLI
07-02-2008, 21:14
did somebody close a thread about hiking, did i miss something:confused:

This is the Armchair Administrator thread. :D

4eyedbuzzard
07-02-2008, 21:15
Meant to say,

Perhaps.

But if a thread is opened about closing a thread, and posts are then made about posting, then if that thread is closed because it was not the best time to open a thread on closing a thread or post about postings, then invariably another thread will be opened to allow posts about closing.

Seems inevitable to me. :D

JAK
07-02-2008, 21:17
Perhaps we need a poll?

Gray Blazer
07-02-2008, 21:17
Better post fast.:D

mudcap
07-02-2008, 21:18
I have been on here for a short period of time,5 or 6 days maybe. Half that time the site was down. I am no genius,but this place will never get any better,only worse. The poor Mods will never keep up with the massive negative portion. What a waste.

rafe
07-02-2008, 21:19
A waste is a terrible thing to mind.

Lone Wolf
07-02-2008, 21:20
I have been on here for a short period of time,5 or 6 days maybe. Half that time the site was down. I am no genius,but this place will never get any better,only worse. The poor Mods will never keep up with the massive negative portion. What a waste.

i agree

Bulldawg
07-02-2008, 21:23
Gosh, I hate to see it still happening. i thought surely things would get better. Maybe they will, who knows. I've met some great folks here and had some great hikes with some of them. I am just glad most of the ones I like to hike with have my email address unless this thing does not turn around.

Appalachian Tater
07-02-2008, 21:23
Perhaps we need a poll?In the spirit of useless meta-discussion, I propose a poll to determine the need for a poll.

Lone Wolf
07-02-2008, 21:25
Gosh, I hate to see it still happening. i thought surely things would get better. Maybe they will, who knows. I've met some great folks here and had some great hikes with some of them. I am just glad most of the ones I like to hike with have my email address unless this thing does not turn around.

i'm trying to better myself but most of the usual suspects aren't

The Old Fhart
07-02-2008, 21:27
_terrapin_ "A waste is a terrible thing to mind."Howard Hughes didn't think so.:eek:

Tin Man
07-02-2008, 21:28
No polls needed. Maybe a pole would come in handy. Like the one a sheepherder carries and used to pull people off the stage. ;)

I'll start on me. Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

mudcap
07-02-2008, 21:31
I really thought I was on to something when I found this place. Some great info,but the negative crap out-weighs the good by so much it is discouraging. Don't get me wrong,I am not a saint by any standard. It is just hard to fathom how things are so nasty here. I want to learn and share,but this place just scares the hell out of me.

JAK
07-02-2008, 21:31
See you all laaaaaaater!

Bulldawg
07-02-2008, 21:32

I've noticed and I both appreciate it and am impressed!!:D:D:D

Jack Tarlin
07-02-2008, 21:32
Mudcap:

Leave the forums for a bit and have a look at the full-length Articles. Lots of good stuff to be found there.

The Old Fhart
07-02-2008, 21:33
Tin Man-"...Maybe a pole would come in handy...." As they say at restaurants, let's leave ethnicity out of this-"czech, please." ;)

4eyedbuzzard
07-02-2008, 21:35
I really thought I was on to something when I found this place. Some great info,but the negative crap out-weighs the good by so much it is discouraging. Don't get me wrong,I am not a saint by any standard. It is just hard to fathom how things are so nasty here. I want to learn and share,but this place just scares the hell out of me.

Don't judge WB by its current state. It's usually much better and more civil than what you've seen lately. Honest. Give it a chance and if a thread gets out of control just ignore it and focus on the good stuff.

kayak karl
07-02-2008, 21:36
This is the Armchair Administrator thread. :D
,but its fun to watch. kind of like the kids chasing the greased pig at the county fair. as much as they try and try, they never quite GET IT!

mudcap
07-02-2008, 21:36
Thanks Jack,maybe thats what I need to do. Instead of all the negative I should start on the positive and hope things get sorted out. I sure hope that happens,this place has so much great info.

rafe
07-02-2008, 21:38
Howard Hughes didn't think so.:eek:

Howard Hughes was half insane. But within a few days or weeks (without moving an inch) I may be working for a company that was spun off from the Hughes empire. Odd how these things go. (If it comes to pass, it'll be the third name-change in as many years.)

Frosty
07-02-2008, 21:39
Gosh, I hate to see it still happening. i thought surely things would get better. Maybe they will, who knows. I've met some great folks here and had some great hikes with some of them. I am just glad most of the ones I like to hike with have my email address unless this thing does not turn around.Give it time. I think Troll and Rock are just giving folks a little time to adjust and blow off steam. I'm sure that they will soon start enforcing the rules they posted pretty soon. Starting, as TJ aka Teej said, with Rule # 3.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/rules.htm[/url]

Appalachian Tater
07-02-2008, 21:40
It's going to be interesting to watch people testing the "Zero Tolerance" policy.

Roland
07-02-2008, 21:41

Yeah, just wait. When LW gets back and finds out Mother Theresa hacked into his account, there will be hell to pay.

Frosty
07-02-2008, 21:42
It's going to be interesting to watch people testing the "Zero Tolerance" policy.They'll be doing it odd no-see-um.

Appalachian Tater
07-02-2008, 21:44
They'll be doing it odd no-see-um.Um, I bet you thought you would get me with that one but I got it covered this time. :)

Pokey2006
07-02-2008, 22:07

Thanks, all.

TW

I just spent two hours reading through the whole thing, and I was actually impressed with how civil that thread was. I agree that threads shouldn't be closed just because the discussion is going on too long. However, I also expected a good deal of caution to be exercised by the mods once Whiteblaze went back online.

The problem isn't discussions going on too long, or discussions getting heated, even. It's not about people discussion politics vs. hiking. It's simply about RESPECT. Posters not respecting other posters. Posters attacking other posters personally, rather than attacking their ideas. Posters telling other posters that they have no right to post their ideas just because they don't agree with them.

Sanction people when they lash out in hate and anger and, yes, also drunkeness, and you'll solve much of the problem here.

Meantime, as long as everyone is respectful of everyone else, it doesn't hurt anything to let the conversation continue.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-02-2008, 22:08
In the interest of keeping this site about hiking, I suggest 'moderated posting status' be called the 'no-see-um zone' henceforth.

Sly
07-02-2008, 22:52
It's going to be interesting to watch people testing the "Zero Tolerance" policy.

Yeah, and it's not surprising The Weasel was one of the 1st to break the rules.

Appalachian Tater
07-02-2008, 22:55
Yeah, and it's not surprising The Weasel was one of the 1st to break the rules.Good golly.

Things certainly are much more civil now that the political forum is gone. :rolleyes:

Sly
07-02-2008, 23:00
Good golly.

Things certainly are much more civil now that the political forum is gone. :rolleyes:

Huh, how that second line show up?

Just stating the facts. TW has always been one to point out the TOS. The problem sometime being he can't always follow his own advice.

Edit: now the second line shows up. Twilight zone stuff....

Appalachian Tater
07-02-2008, 23:05
Huh, how that second line show up? Maybe I was adding it while you were writing. I was choking I was laughing so hard and it took me a while to think of something to say.

Just stating the facts. TW has always been one to point out the TOS. The problem sometime being he can't always follow his own advice.Well, it certainly is nice of you to take the burden of minding his behavior from him.

Sly
07-02-2008, 23:07
Well, it certainly is nice of you to take the burden of minding his behavior from him.

Well, that's because I'm a nice guy, like the new Lone Wolf. :D

Appalachian Tater
07-02-2008, 23:14
Well, that's because I'm a nice guy, like the new Lone Wolf. :DYeah, Tin Man and Pokey are gushing about how misjudged and misunderstood he is and how his behavior is an example for all to follow on another thread even as you write.

Tin Man
07-02-2008, 23:16
Yeah, Tin Man and Pokey are gushing about how misjudged and misunderstood he is and how his behavior is an example for all to follow on another thread even as you write.

Not saying that at all. Just saying LW is funny. You ain't. :)

Alligator
07-02-2008, 23:24
I reread The Weasel's OP, and he seems to be talking about future closures, so no harm there IMO. However, I can certainly see how one might interpret that a little differently.

Could the rest of you stop baiting each other now?

slow
07-02-2008, 23:33
Me is L.W. for the reason of mean posts to others that are new,And also what he has not done.

The Weasel
07-03-2008, 00:00

Sly, my Post 1 on this thread says what I mean: I neither disagree with the closure of the "Poll" thread nor am I trying to continue that topic, which I agree had gotten to the point of repetition. My point here is that there have been suggestions that threads could be ended when they got to that point, but the thread was a good example of a relatively genial and amicable discussion that was continuing without hostility of any kind. That's a good thing, I think, and I hope that such discussions are allowed to continue as long as they remain like that even, if to some, "all the positions have been stated."

If you think that was 'breaking the rules,' I'm sorry. You can can make suggestions on how WhiteBlaze can function more harmoniously, and I hope you do, and I will too, without criticising you or others' good faith.

TW

The Weasel
07-03-2008, 00:01
I reread The Weasel's OP, and he seems to be talking about future closures, so no harm there IMO. However, I can certainly see how one might interpret that a little differently.

Could the rest of you stop baiting each other now?

Alligator:

Yes, that is what I meant, and for being unclear, I'm sorry. Thanks for clarifying for me.

TW

SteveJ
07-03-2008, 00:23

:D

I propose a poll about putting up a poll in which we rank those who should be bettering themselves! wait - first we have to have a poll about who would be included in the poll.....

Flush2wice
07-03-2008, 00:37
:D

I propose a poll about putting up a poll in which we rank those who should be bettering themselves! wait - first we have to have a poll about who would be included in the poll.....
I'd like to better myself but I can't think of any way to do that. I'm about as better as I can be. Don't you think?

ed bell
07-03-2008, 00:53
I'd like to better myself but I can't think of any way to do that. I'm about as better as I can be. Don't you think?
I think your new avatar is the betterest of all. That finger through the nose and eye-socket always kicked in my gag reflex.:D

Bob S
07-03-2008, 01:47
Agree or not it’s the debate on it is moot as the decision is made.

ed bell
07-03-2008, 01:54
Agree or not it’s the debate on it is moot as the decision is made.Enlighten us.:-?:D

Bob S
07-03-2008, 02:17
Enlighten us.:-?:D

Enlighten you on the fact that the powers that are in charge here are going to stop a lot of the debates? Isn’t that obvious by what they have posted? You can argue it all day, but they made the decision, so it’s moot.

ed bell
07-03-2008, 02:22
Enlighten you on the fact that the powers that are in charge here are going to stop a lot of the debates? Isn’t that obvious by what they have posted? You can argue it all day, but they made the decision, so it’s moot. I was just trying to understand your previous post. By your response, it seems like I just misunderstood your point.:sun

Marta
07-03-2008, 04:47
IMO, the problems that are dragging down Whiteblaze are:

1) Personal attacks

2) Endless, repetitive, domineering, long posts

#1 is a moderator issue.

#2 (assuming it needs to be dealt with at all) needs a more creative solution. One possibility someone mentioned yesterday was to limit people to some arbitrary number of daily posts, so they need to start controlling themselves a bit.

My husband brought up a system he heard about on NPR. There's software available to companies to limit their email. Each person is issued a certain amount of email "currency" every day/week/month. They spend varying amounts depending on how important they think their communication is. Lots of money=important. Use up your money=no more emailing until payday.

It's an amusing idea.

I'm thinking a daily word count allowance would be good. It would reward short, pity posters. And punish people who cannot seem to let go of an argument.

And now I'll shut up. ;-)

Blue Jay
07-03-2008, 07:11

1) Personal attacks

No, there is NOTHING wrong with Whiteblaze. Humans argue, humans bicker. Sorry, but it's true, get over it. You want only information and serious ethical polite discussion, only allow robots to post. I'm sick of the whaaaa, whaaaa, whaaa, people are mean. But that's human also, so please keep it up. Again NOTHING is even remotely dragging Whiteblaze "down". It was great from the start and remains so today.

Marta
07-03-2008, 07:45
No, there is NOTHING wrong with Whiteblaze. Humans argue, humans bicker. Sorry, but it's true, get over it. You want only information and serious ethical polite discussion, only allow robots to post. I'm sick of the whaaaa, whaaaa, whaaa, people are mean. But that's human also, so please keep it up. Again NOTHING is even remotely dragging Whiteblaze "down". It was great from the start and remains so today.

Beg to differ. At some point the bickering and arguing turn an enjoyable chat about hiking into a waste of time.

Fortunately, the long weekend looms. One more stint in the office and I'm off on a hike.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-03-2008, 08:00

1) Personal attacks

#1 is a moderator issue.

#2 (assuming it needs to be dealt with at all) needs a more creative solution. One possibility someone mentioned yesterday was to limit people to some arbitrary number of daily posts, so they need to start controlling themselves a bit.

My husband brought up a system he heard about on NPR. There's software available to companies to limit their email. Each person is issued a certain amount of email "currency" every day/week/month. They spend varying amounts depending on how important they think their communication is. Lots of money=important. Use up your money=no more emailing until payday.

It's an amusing idea.

I'm thinking a daily word count allowance would be good. It would reward short, pity posters. And punish people who cannot seem to let go of an argument.

And now I'll shut up. ;-)
Beg to differ. At some point the bickering and arguing turn an enjoyable chat about hiking into a waste of time.

Fortunately, the long weekend looms. One more stint in the office and I'm off on a hike.Marta, the voice of reason as always.

saimyoji
07-03-2008, 08:02
How about a limit to the number of words per post?

Lone Wolf
07-03-2008, 08:03
i ain't got no problem with that

modiyooch
07-03-2008, 08:04
How about a limit to the number of words per post?how 'bout excluding anyone with 3000+ posts? JK

Tin Man
07-03-2008, 08:05

Fortunately, the long weekend looms. One more stint in the office and I'm off on a hike.

Bickering over the same old stuff does seem to take a drag on things and may upset a few folks. Maybe instead of a lot of censoring, it might be easier to clip and drag the part of the thread that turns into a rant over to the sensitive area so the people who enjoy that kind of thing can have at it. Maybe it could be renamed to the "insensitive area" and the general forums the "sensitive area". ;)

Lots of ways to skin a cat.

Have a great hike Marta!

MOWGLI
07-03-2008, 08:13
how 'bout excluding anyone with 3000+ posts? JK

Better yet, how about anyone who averages more than 4 posts a day? :p

Heater
07-03-2008, 08:14
i ain't got no problem with that

LOL! You're a funny guy.

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing013.gif

weary
07-03-2008, 08:19
Weasel made a perfectly reasonable comment. Just because you disagree with what was said, or the timing of what was said, doesn't break any rules in my opinion.

Weary

fiddlehead
07-03-2008, 08:30
Lots of ways to skin a cat.

The best idea I've seen is to take your bickering private.
When folks start the name calling and it gets out of hand, why not just PM each other. I've done it many times and it works. The bickering and name calling stops and you talk it over a few times and usually remain friends.

Tin Man
07-03-2008, 08:39
When folks start the name calling and it gets out of hand, why not just PM each other. I've done it many times and it works. The bickering and name calling stops and you talk it over a few times and usually remain friends.

I have had people pm'ing me to complain about the mods or others picking on them. I send it back and tell them to reform themselves or grow a set. Some who like to dish aren't very receptive when the plate is turned on them. Buncha whiners. :)

Alligator
07-03-2008, 10:15
When folks start the name calling and it gets out of hand, why not just PM each other. I've done it many times and it works. The bickering and name calling stops and you talk it over a few times and usually remain friends.There's actually a new feature that ATTroll installed recently called visitor messages. It's a semi-private message, or at least that's how I look at it. If folks would care to, they can carry they're conversation over to VM. With the VM system, any member can post to the VM. Control resides with the profile that the message is left on. Just an alternative suggestion.

Skyline
07-03-2008, 10:22
There's actually a new feature that ATTroll installed recently called visitor messages. It's a semi-private message, or at least that's how I look at it. If folks would care to, they can carry they're conversation over to VM. With the VM system, any member can post to the VM. Control resides with the profile that the message is left on. Just an alternative suggestion.

Sounds like something that has possibilities, but most of us might need more education to understand how it works. A mini-user manual, sort of.

Frosty
07-03-2008, 10:24
No, there is NOTHING wrong with Whiteblaze. Humans argue, humans bicker. Sorry, but it's true, get over it. Humans do lots of things that are very wrong. Just because something happens does not make it right.

At least not to everyone. An anarchist would find nothing wrong with WB recently.

Objections to rudeness and personal attacks is reasonable. Telling people they must accept such things and to "get over it" is part of the problem, not the solution, at least IMO.

There is always room for discussion, but it works best when each side presents their side. It is when someone says, "You are wrong to have the position you take" that things start sliding downhill.

If discussion is an exchange of ideas and opinions, then arguing is trying to force someone to abandon their ideas and think the way you do. Bickering is pointless.

If we could have more discussion and less arguing/bickering, we'd be better off, in WB and elsewhere.

Alligator
07-03-2008, 10:26
Sounds like something that has possibilities, but most of us might need more education to understand how it works. A mini-user manual, sort of.I'm not sure I've got it totally worked out either, but it's easy to do.

Click on the user's profile. This takes you right to the VM box. Enter a message. I just left you one Skyline.

The VM box is one of the new tabs located on a users profile.

Alligator
07-03-2008, 11:01
The thread about the politics forum closure was closed yesterday folks. You could all continue it via visitor message, perhaps with The Weasel as host.

(Or even use Bfitz, I don't think he has to even be here:D.)

The Weasel
07-03-2008, 11:37
The thread about the politics forum closure was closed yesterday folks. You could all continue it via visitor message, perhaps with The Weasel as host.

(Or even use Bfitz, I don't think he has to even be here:D.)

I think that if a topic - "whether the politics forums should be ended" was the topic, I think - is closed by a moderator, we should honor that, whether we agree with closure or not, even by the new "visitor message" concept.

TW

Sly
07-03-2008, 11:40
Weasel made a perfectly reasonable comment. Just because you disagree with what was said, or the timing of what was said, doesn't break any rules in my opinion.

Topics that have been closed, deleted, or moved by an Administrator or Moderator have been done for a reason. Users will not open new threads on the same subject or continue to make posts about subjects that have had these actions taken. Failing to comply with this policy can result in being placed into moderated status.

Reading rule #3 perhaps you're right. I guess it's how one interprets his intentions. I'm not the mod in this forum to make the decision.

The Weasel
07-03-2008, 11:54
Sly --

Sometimes, as Freud said, a cigar is just a cigar. As I said in the very first post,

"I am not disagreeing. I do, though, have some thoughts for Rock and Troll and other moderators, such as Alligator and Skid as they consider how best to handle such things in the future.

Since then, at least twice, I've indicated that Weary's belief was correct, and that this topic concerns thoughts about how closures might be considered in the future. It's not about breaking rules, but about how the rules will be applied by the Administrators and, as I noted just before your last post, I'm not interested in continuing the "closed" thread.

This is how 'flame seepage' begins. This topic isn't about whether The Weasel breaks rules or whether Sly starts fights. It's about how heavy or light a hand moderators should have on threads, and there is much to be said for each. My original post suggested a lighter hand; others can share their thoughts. I respect your ideas, and have no desire to take part in a personality challenge. I am sure you do too. Thanks.

TW

JAK
07-03-2008, 12:06
How about this idea...

Non-paying folks like myself limited to 10 posts per day, 100 characters per post.
Other folks, depending on how much they sponsor, 20,30,40,etc, more characters per post.

Moderators could make an unlimited posts per day. People that write articles, good ones, could be rewarded with 10 extra posts per day for a month, or whatever.

Violators of rules could be docked 1,2,3 or more from their maximum posts per day.
Severe violators might be banned, but could get back in if they write a good article.

Appalachian Tater
07-03-2008, 12:08
How about this idea...

Non-paying folks like myself limited to 10 posts per day, 100 characters per post.
Other folks, depending on how much they sponsor, 20,30,40,etc, more characters per post.

Moderators could make an unlimited posts per day. People that write articles, good ones, could be rewarded with 10 extra posts per day for a month, or whatever.

Violators of rules could be docked 1,2,3 or more from their maximum posts per day.
Severe violators might be banned, but could get back in if they write a good article.JAK, does that sound like any fun to participate in from any viewpoint? We're not collecting bubble gum wrappers for prizes!

dixicritter
07-03-2008, 12:08
Come on guys... let it go. It's not worth it. :)

Not that I have any "power" or anything anymore, just asking nicely.

The Weasel
07-03-2008, 12:11
JAK ---

I'm not the moderator here, but I sort of think you're continuing the old discussion. Aren't there any more ideas on how and when threads should be closed? If not, we'll probably see this topic closed down, too. I'm actually interested in what others, particularly moderators, think. Alligator? Skidsteer? Hello? You probably have some VERY good perspectives here, and it would help us "users" to understand things like that. I mean it.

TW