PDA

View Full Version : suggestion

modiyooch
07-02-2008, 22:13
I think there are two kinds of forumites. One who just want to fact gather and one who spends the majority of the time chatting. I for one like to read a given thread without all the silly comments that are interjected. I don't have the time to weed threw what I think is nonsense vs what I think is informative. I suggest, and this has worked on another forum that I visit, it to set up a forum catagory for "Off Topic" topics. Then those that want to participate can discuss whatever(as long as it doesn't break the rule), and those who don't want to wade through the chatting can just skip any thread started in this category. Keep in mind, that the unnecessary chatting would need to be confined to that category and not clog up the other topics.

also, a suggestion to old timers. Sure topics have been hashed many times before, but if a new user wants to hash it out again so be it. If it bothers you so much, just stay out of the topic. We don't need to shut a new poster down just because they ask a question.

since I went through withdraw the last couple of day, is it possible to make the forum "read only" for those days that we are sent to the corner? There is a wealth of information out there.

I do want to say that I do appreciate this site, and acknowledge that you have far more patience than I.

If by chance, this has already been addressed, please excuse the redundancy. I didn't have time to read all those posings.

Pokey2006
07-02-2008, 22:29
also, a suggestion to old timers. Sure topics have been hashed many times before, but if a new user wants to hash it out again so be it. If it bothers you so much, just stay out of the topic. We don't need to shut a new poster down just because they ask a question.

Thanks for making that point. I've often thought that, too. Though it helps to point out to newcomers that they can often find the answers to their questions by using the "search" feature, sometimes people are a little testy about it. I roll my eyes, too, sometimes when I see a "dumb" question, but, then again, I firmly believe there is no such thing as a "dumb" question, so therefore I just ignore those repetitive threads. It's not repetitive for someone who's never been to the site before.

Frosty
07-02-2008, 23:31
I do want to say that I do appreciate this site, and acknowledge that you have far more patience than I.
Well, Troll, Rick, and the mods have a lot more patience that I have. I would have moderated a bunch of posters here, including myself, any number of times.