PDA

View Full Version : Just Got It!!!!

Spokes
02-22-2004, 21:04
I just got my new HH Asym and love it! Now, has anyone tried attaching a simple tube of tyvek around the perimeter of the hammock for cold weather camping? Would it be a good enough insulator I wonder?

tlbj6142
02-23-2004, 10:46
I just got my new HH Asym and love it! Now, has anyone tried attaching a simple tube of tyvek around the perimeter of the hammock for cold weather camping? Would it be a good enough insulator I wonder?You are sort of describing a Garlington Insulator (http://www.hammockcamping.com/Garlington%20Insulator/GIversion2.htm).

Hammock Hanger
02-23-2004, 11:18
just attaching tyvek to the outside does not insulate you from the cold. It may keep wind and drafts out but it will still have the feel of sleeping on a block of ice. You need to have something that is like an open-cell mat, air mattress or down. Why?? Because you need air pockets to hold in warm air. Anything hard or devoid of air does not work. Believe me I have tried many many different options. Spent more then a few "uncomfortable" nights.

Things that I found worked best:

A 1 inch thermasrest... I had no problem with it sliding seems others do...

A downfilled underquilt... Worked like a charm, weighs no more then a thermarest... not any padding for those shelter nights...

A blow up air mattress... worked great, except it got holes in it very easily.

For me, I have gone back to carrying just a windshield reflector pad in the summer at 60+, below that a lite thermarest to 40+ weather, any colder then that I really like the down underwquilt. This is just how I handle it.

Enjoy. Sue/Hammock Hanger:sun

Rambler
02-23-2004, 13:38
Be careful of an air mattress that does not have some foam on the inside (as do the therm-a-rests). If it is just air-filled, you be hanging over a mattress filled with cold air. For a wider than standard foam pad goto Hammock Pad (owareusa.com) (Click on "Foam Pads") The wider pads help solve the "pad slipping-out-from-under" problem. If you do use tyvek or some other material to use as an underneath summer draft break, use the pattern at the HH website described for space blanket use. Cut the material to size, add gromets (kits found in hardware stores) and use lightweight shock-cord. A fairly workable solution. If you are sure you are not going to be in a shelter or on the ground. Consider saving some more weight and leave the sleeping pad at home.

Spokes
02-24-2004, 06:54
it was interesting to read about the Garlington insulator Yellow Jacket. I did go back and read some of the early threads on that site. Apparently in the initial phases someone asked about using tyvek as an outer shell. I couldn't find any follow-up. Hammock Hanger, I may have been unclear, I understand the need for some other type of padding or a quilt. I was only referring to the outer shell material. It really all boils down to finding the best way to trap air, heat it with your own body temperature, and then efficiently venting the excess to avoid condensation. I love this discussion group because everyone shares there experiment results. I'll keep you posted......