PDA

View Full Version : Knee Cap: Bone Spur/Roller?

ChinMusic
07-03-2008, 11:42
I had a minor fall a couple weeks ago at RRG where I just went straight down on my left knee and unfort hit a rock. Hurt like hell for a few minutes and then I just walked it off. Thought that was the end of it.

It hasn't bothered me since and has no affect on walking whatsoever.

But, now there is a small (little smaller than a bee-bee) attached roller between the knee cap and the skin. It hurts like hell if I have to go to my knees and put weight on it. It also hurts if I touch it.

Any ideas/comments?

Appalachian Tater
07-03-2008, 11:45
Yes, you need to go see an orthopod if you think you have a bone fragment loose in there.

Tilly
07-03-2008, 11:56
Go to the ortho. Pain is your body's way of telling you that something is wrong. Especially if it "hurts like hell."

Footslogger
07-03-2008, 12:03
We see this type of injury quite often here at the clinic as the result of blunt force traume to the front of the knee. Agree that you should check in with an orthopedist and one who deals with sports medicine if possible. You may have chipped a small fragment off of the patella (knee cap) or something known as an osteochonral defect (OCD). Either way you need it evaluated and possible removed/repaired.

'Slogger

ChinMusic
07-03-2008, 12:05
Go to the ortho. Pain is your body's way of telling you that something is wrong. Especially if it "hurts like hell."
The little "bee-bee" only moves maybe a 1/4 inch as it is attached and not totally free-moving. It's not moving anywhere far and is on the outside, so it it isn't affecting function at all.

I'm wondering if it is a little chip that will resorb on its own. As it is now it cannot cause any further damage. It's just painful when I accidentally put pressure on that one tiny spot.

If it was affecting function, I would go in. I was just wondering if anyone else had ever had such a thing.

Appalachian Tater
07-03-2008, 12:06
Those suckers can move around and cause a lot of damage.

ChinMusic
07-03-2008, 12:11
You may have chipped a small fragment off of the patella (knee cap) or something known as an osteochonral defect (OCD). Either way you need it evaluated and possible removed/repaired.

'Slogger
Great. Thanks for the info. Not what I wanted to hear, but thanks.

It would be a piece of cake to remove surgically. Hell, I could do it.......;):D

ChinMusic
07-03-2008, 12:12
Those suckers can move around and cause a lot of damage.
That has been a concern. I'm def keeping a close eye on it.

Footslogger
07-03-2008, 12:15
It would be a piece of cake to remove surgically. Hell, I could do it.......;):D

==================================

...I hear ya and would probably feel the same way. But you run the risk of infection and/or further complication that might affect your ability to fully flex/extend the knee without pain. In other words, you may have done some damage to the underside of the patella that is not yet symptomatic.

'Slogger

kappy0405
07-03-2008, 12:22
its hard to say without seeing it..

ive had a bad bone spur on my right knee for a few years now, and it hurt like hell for the first few weeks or so after it happened... the pain gradually went away as it did heal a little.. It doesnt hurt at all now unless i kneel on my knee the wrong way.. which happens every week since i work in construction but its nothing i cant live with as the pain only lasts a few seconds when it happens nowadays.

If you have good insurance and can afford to get it removed, i would do it though. In my situation, I was forced to live with it... and its not that bad, but who knows, yours could be worse than mine too.

ChinMusic
07-03-2008, 12:37
It doesnt hurt at all now unless i kneel on my knee the wrong way.. which happens every week since i work in construction but its nothing i cant live with as the pain only lasts a few seconds when it happens nowadays.

If you have good insurance and can afford to get it removed, i would do it though. In my situation, I was forced to live with it... and its not that bad, but who knows, yours could be worse than mine too.
This sounds exactly like mine but mine is only about 10 days old. I was playing with the dog last night and went to my knees and hit it "just right". OMG that little thing has a disproportionate number of nerve endings......:eek: And like you said, it doesn't last very long, but those few seconds are wild.

I got a buddy that is an pod. I guess I need to give him a call.

envirodiver
07-03-2008, 12:51
I agree with Tater see a Dr.

I burst a Bursa sack in my knee and it sounds similar. Lot's of swelling and pain. Not much they can do for that, but it could very well be something else.

horicon
07-03-2008, 13:46
I hate knee problems. Shattered my knee cap and the legament was toen off the knee. Major problems.

The Solemates
07-03-2008, 15:41
The little "bee-bee" only moves maybe a 1/4 inch as it is attached and not totally free-moving. It's not moving anywhere far and is on the outside, so it it isn't affecting function at all.

it will be affecting functiion and other things if it gets in the joint space, believe me.

ChinMusic
07-03-2008, 16:23
it will be affecting functiion and other things if it gets in the joint space, believe me.
The thought of that is frightening. The good thing is the fragment only moves around in an area less than the size of a dime..........at least so far.

Appalachian Tater
07-03-2008, 17:57
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2004/10/14/technology/14implant.583.jpg

Are you sure it's not one of these? Did you have any strange dreams? Check the back of your neck, too.

John Klein
07-03-2008, 19:33
I agree with Tater see a Dr.

I burst a Bursa sack in my knee and it sounds similar. Lot's of swelling and pain. Not much they can do for that, but it could very well be something else.
What he said. I was gonna say I believe there is a bursa (fluid filled cushioning sac) between the patella bone and skin. I did a lot of self-guided study of knee anatomy after a torn ACL and 2 surgeries.

Bob S
07-03-2008, 21:44
Have a Doc look at it. Knee problem can really make backpacking hard. Get it fixed if you can.

I broke both knees (along with lots of other bones) in a motorcycle accident in 1989. I am reminded of that accident every day; it makes any kind of extended backpacking unpleasant.

ChinMusic
07-03-2008, 21:57
Did a full-normal, workout today at lunch, squats, lunges, sled, extensions, elliptical, etc. all without issue. Since that trip to RRG 2 weekends ago I have probably walked 30 miles on our local bike trail with no discomfort either. It really is just one small spot.

I chatted with my buddy this afternoon. He wasn't too concerned and advised me to give it some more time but monitor it to make sure it's not moving. He said if it's still sore to getting bumped in a month or so that it would be a simple procedure to cut it out.

Bob S
07-03-2008, 22:03
All you need is a sharp pocket knife, a candle flame to sterilize the knife blade and a dog toy to bite on.

And a band aid.

TIDE-HSV
07-03-2008, 23:33
Like Klein, I've had ACL reconstruction, plus two meniscus trims on the same knee, and having loose stuff floating around in the synovial fluid's no fun. However, I did have a bone chip on one elbow, from hitting it on a rock while kayaking. It didn't bother me unless I put weight on the elbow, and it could be on something as soft as a bed or pillow - didn't matter. I kept putting it off and compensating by not weighting it, and it did eventually resorb - after about ten years...

ChinMusic
07-04-2008, 14:09
All you need is a sharp pocket knife, a candle flame to sterilize the knife blade and a dog toy to bite on.

And a band aid.
No dog toy needed. I have the advantage of being licensed to use Lidocaine......;)

take-a-knee
07-04-2008, 14:38
No dog toy needed. I have the advantage of being licensed to use Lidocaine......;)

Since the periostium is likely involved, lidocaine should do the trick, I'd mix it 50/50 with Marcaine if you can get it. Suturing up your own leg is kinda cool.

ChinMusic
07-04-2008, 14:56
Since the periostium is likely involved, lidocaine should do the trick, I'd mix it 50/50 with Marcaine if you can get it. Suturing up your own leg is kinda cool.
Hmmmm, some Marcaine, a #15 blade, rongeur, some 6-0 silk and a bandaid....... Sounds like a plan......if I were on a desert island.....:D

Homer&Marje
07-04-2008, 15:01
have had a bone fragment in my elbow 4 years now... only time i notice it is when i put pressure on my elbow on a hard surface... no more than likely it won't absorb itself... i thought it would too.. but i just severed a nerve in my index finger 2 hours into my 3 day hike today and ended up with 6 stitches... so my elbow isn't bothering me.. you should try cutting your finger, wont notice the knee

NICKTHEGREEK
07-04-2008, 15:08
I had a minor fall a couple weeks ago at RRG where I just went straight down on my left knee and unfort hit a rock. Hurt like hell for a few minutes and then I just walked it off. Thought that was the end of it.

But, now there is a small (little smaller than a bee-bee) attached roller between the knee cap and the skin. It hurts like hell if I have to go to my knees and put weight on it. It also hurts if I touch it.

Any ideas/comments?
Go to a doctor anyone who seeks a diagnosis over the internet is..........

ChinMusic
07-04-2008, 15:12
Go to a doctor anyone who seeks a diagnosis over the internet is..........
fishing?

mkmangold
07-04-2008, 15:13

And a band aid.

Or, if you have Everclear, you can use that to sterilize the knife, the site, AND anesthetize yourself.

ChinMusic
07-04-2008, 15:27
Or, if you have Everclear, you can use that to sterilize the knife, the site, AND anesthetize yourself.
Dual use....... NOW we are talkin'

The Solemates
07-07-2008, 09:49
Like Klein, I've had ACL reconstruction, plus two meniscus trims on the same knee, and having loose stuff floating around in the synovial fluid's no fun. However, I did have a bone chip on one elbow, from hitting it on a rock while kayaking. It didn't bother me unless I put weight on the elbow, and it could be on something as soft as a bed or pillow - didn't matter. I kept putting it off and compensating by not weighting it, and it did eventually resorb - after about ten years...

i have the same thing. doc said its bursitis. only thing he can do is give me steroid shots. other than that, take pain medication. oh well. have to live with it, but after about 3 years now, its starting to affect my basketball shot :eek:

TIDE-HSV
07-07-2008, 14:29
In my case, it was not bursitis, the bone chip showed up on X-ray. Every time they offered to remove it, I declined, since it didn't interfere with ROM. However, I did manage to play basketball successfully for years - without a rotator cuff in my shooting shoulder... :)

ChinMusic
07-18-2008, 12:52
posted 07-03-2008

Any ideas/comments?
Two weeks have gone by and it has improved a LOT. The little "roller" on the knee is MUCH (maybe 90%) less tender and feels smaller. In fact it is hard to even find with my fingers. If I drop to my knees on carpet it is still a bit tender but nothing like it was.

Just thought I would update.