PDA

View Full Version : Benton Mackaye Trail camp out and work day - August 16 & 17

MOWGLI
07-03-2008, 12:56
On Saturday August 16 I'll be leading a hike along the Bald River in the Tellico District of the Cherokee National Forest. Afterward, I plan to head on up to Beaverdam Bald and walk down to the Benton MacKaye Trail and camp. A 4 WD vehicle is required to navigate the 6-mile rutted out Forest Service road. I'll have some room to take a couple of folks up there in my Jeep.

The next day - Sunday August 17 - we'll be doing some trail work along the Brookshire Creek Trail in the Upper Bald River Wilderness Study Area.

Anyone interested in joining me for an overnight and some trail work? This is a beautiful area. Work will involve lopping, hand sawing, cutting brush, and some light tread work. Power tools are not permitted in this area.

Send me a PM if you're interested.

Thanks.

envirodiver
07-03-2008, 13:10
Jeff, I have nothing scheduled for that weekend. Sounds like a plan. It should be nice and cool by then. I'm not familiar with those trails so it should be something new for me.

I have a 4WD Ford Ranger truck.

MOWGLI
07-03-2008, 13:21
Jeff, I have nothing scheduled for that weekend. Sounds like a plan. It should be nice and cool by then. I'm not familiar with those trails so it should be something new for me.

I have a 4WD Ford Ranger truck.

Excellent! The area where we'll be camping and working is very remote. It's near the North Carolina line about 25 miles east of Tellico Plains. We'll camp along a creek with a population of wild brook trout. I'm thinking in the AM we'll walk down the trail maybe 3.5 miles, and work our way back up. We'll quit when we have had enough. This isn't all work though. I expect we'll have some fun too. :sun

This work trip is appropriate for folks with all levels of experience working on trails. Beginners are not only welcome, but encouraged.

envirodiver
07-03-2008, 13:23
Excellent! The area where we'll be camping and working is very remote. It's near the North Carolina line about 25 miles east of Tellico Plains. We'll camp along a creek with a population of wild brook trout. I'm thinking in the AM we'll walk down the trail maybe 3.5 miles, and work our way back up. We'll quit when we have had enough. This isn't all work though. I expect we'll have some fun too. :sun

This work trip is appropriate for folks with all levels of experience working on trails. Beginners are not only welcome, but encouraged.

Is this close to where the BMT enters Citigo?

MOWGLI
07-03-2008, 13:26
Is this close to where the BMT enters Citigo?

It's southeasy of there. If you know where the BMT crosses Tellico River Road near the trout hatchery, it's several more miles up the river, and then southeast. We'll be camping near Sledrunner Gap at the headwaters of Brookshire Creek.

SGT Rock
07-03-2008, 13:41
I wish I could. I have to work that weekend.

generoll
07-03-2008, 14:20
I'll have to check my call schedule, but I think I can make it. I'm guessing my Element will make it since it managed the road up to Scales in Grayson highlands. I'll PM you when I know for sure. I will also have some room for riders.

MOWGLI
07-07-2008, 10:47
OK, we've got three volunteers, plus me. Anyone else interested in joining in?

Tipi Walter
07-07-2008, 23:01
I saw your picture in the BMTA newsletter of April-May 2008 and wonder, has not the work on this section of trail already been completed?

I'd be interested in going up the Bald River trail on a backpacking trip if anyone is interested, and then leaving the wilderness and tieing in with the Brookshire trail up to Sled Runner Gap and the State Line Trail. We could loop it down the Kirkland and back out, etc.

envirodiver
07-11-2008, 13:31
I'll be dropping my daughter off at school in Maryville on the 13th. So, since I'll be in the neighborhood, I was considering driving to within a couple of days hike North of where we are to meet for the trail Maint. and hiking in to meet you guys. Anyone else want to do that with me? Tipi, I don't have my maps handy, but is that similar to the idea that you are throwing out there?

MOWGLI
07-11-2008, 13:46
I saw your picture in the BMTA newsletter of April-May 2008 and wonder, has not the work on this section of trail already been completed?

I'd be interested in going up the Bald River trail on a backpacking trip if anyone is interested, and then leaving the wilderness and tieing in with the Brookshire trail up to Sled Runner Gap and the State Line Trail. We could loop it down the Kirkland and back out, etc.

We only lopped the top 2 miles of the trail. The lower section hasn't been touched. We may have some brushing out to do, and some tread work. As I recall, there are some areas where the tread needs work.

I hiked the Bald River Trail yesterday. Nice trail. Had an amazing wildlife encounter that I posted elsewhere.

My plan is to come up Friday night August 15 and camp. I am leading a day hike on the Bald River Trail on Saturday AM. Then I plan to head up to Beaverdam Bald and walk down to the Brookshire Creek Trail. There are some nice campsites under hemlocks a ways down from Sledrunner Gap. We'll camp there Saturday night, toss back a few cold ones, and spend Sunday doing some trail work.

Tipi Walter
07-14-2008, 11:49
I'll be dropping my daughter off at school in Maryville on the 13th. So, since I'll be in the neighborhood, I was considering driving to within a couple of days hike North of where we are to meet for the trail Maint. and hiking in to meet you guys. Anyone else want to do that with me? Tipi, I don't have my maps handy, but is that similar to the idea that you are throwing out there?

Well, I'd come in at Bald River wilderness and hike thru it and tie into the Kirkland trail and go up it to Sandy Gap and the BMT where I could meet you and we could walk from Sandy to Sled Runner Gap and down the Brookshire, etc.

OR I could park my car at the Fish Hatchery and climb the BMT over Sugar Mt and go north to Sandy Gap to meet you and then come back to the Fish Hatchery, etc. This way I'd be able to shuttle you back to your car.

Tipi Walter
07-14-2008, 11:55
We only lopped the top 2 miles of the trail. The lower section hasn't been touched. We may have some brushing out to do, and some tread work. As I recall, there are some areas where the tread needs work.

I hiked the Bald River Trail yesterday. Nice trail. Had an amazing wildlife encounter that I posted elsewhere.

My plan is to come up Friday night August 15 and camp. I am leading a day hike on the Bald River Trail on Saturday AM. Then I plan to head up to Beaverdam Bald and walk down to the Brookshire Creek Trail. There are some nice campsites under hemlocks a ways down from Sledrunner Gap. We'll camp there Saturday night, toss back a few cold ones, and spend Sunday doing some trail work.

It's funny, I had an amazing wildlife encounter in Bald River, too. I was walking upstream and saw a big deer standing in the middle of the creek. Just as suddenly it moved upstream and then a big coyote came down to the water's edge eyeballing the deer. I barked out a noise and the coyote vanished.

Another time I saw two copperheads facing each other on the trail and probably trying to mate, etc. Another time my girlfriend almost squatted atop a coiled, resting copperhead. Great fun.

I know the high campsites you're talking about on the Brookshire. They are tucked in off the trail in shade by the soothing clean water of the Brookshire. One looked to be an old Boy Scout camp. My plan is to possibly meet up with you guys coming in from Bald River and the lower Brookshire trailhead. We shall see.

kanga
07-14-2008, 11:58
mowgli,
general and i talked about this and are both interested in helping out. however, neither of us gets our weekend schedules until after the 1st of the month, so i can't firmly commit yet, but keep us in mind. i'll get back to you when i know more.

MOWGLI
07-14-2008, 12:12
mowgli,
general and i talked about this and are both interested in helping out. however, neither of us gets our weekend schedules until after the 1st of the month, so i can't firmly commit yet, but keep us in mind. i'll get back to you when i know more.

Sounds like a plan. I hope you two can make it. I'll be gone hiking out west from July 22 - August 11, so if you don't see me posting here or responding to inquiries, that's why.

As of right now, the plan is to camp at a FS campground a few miles north of Bald River falls on Friday night August 15. I'll be leading a hike on the Bald River Trail on Saturday August 16. After the hike (and some swimming!) on Saturday, we'll head up to Beaverdam Bald, park the 4WD vehicles, and walk down to Brookshire Creek and setup camp. Sunday, we'll work until 2 PM or so, then knock off.

If you can make some, or all of the activities... great! I'll post a rendezvous location for Friday night when I get back from California on August 12.

kanga
07-14-2008, 12:33
Sounds like a plan. I hope you two can make it. I'll be gone hiking out west from July 22 - August 11, so if you don't see me posting here or responding to inquiries, that's why.

As of right now, the plan is to camp at a FS campground a few miles north of Bald River falls on Friday night August 15. I'll be leading a hike on the Bald River Trail on Saturday August 16. After the hike (and some swimming!) on Saturday, we'll head up to Beaverdam Bald, park the 4WD vehicles, and walk down to Brookshire Creek and setup camp. Sunday, we'll work until 2 PM or so, then knock off.

If you can make some, or all of the activities... great! I'll post a rendezvous location for Friday night when I get back from California on August 12.

sounds great! we'll do our best to be there!
thanks,
kanga

Cuffs
07-14-2008, 12:38
I am join in, but cannot yet confirm. GeneRoll, let me know your schedule. If all works out, I'll just drive to 'Nooga and hitch a ride with you!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-14-2008, 12:55
Wish we could make it but have a granddaughter getting married on the 9th, a grandson getting married on the 21st, a great-granddaughter turning 1 on the the 9th and one turning 6 on the 17th - and these events are in four different states. It is going to be too hectic to add a trail maintenance trip.

envirodiver
07-14-2008, 15:10
Well, I'd come in at Bald River wilderness and hike thru it and tie into the Kirkland trail and go up it to Sandy Gap and the BMT where I could meet you and we could walk from Sandy to Sled Runner Gap and down the Brookshire, etc.

OR I could park my car at the Fish Hatchery and climb the BMT over Sugar Mt and go north to Sandy Gap to meet you and then come back to the Fish Hatchery, etc. This way I'd be able to shuttle you back to your car.

Sounds great Walter. Maybe there is something that makes sense to be able to drop our cars at opposite ends, pick pone or the other up then end the weekned at a car and shuttle back. I know what I meant when I wrote that. When I reread it, it seems like a circular reference.

We'll work something out though.

generoll
07-14-2008, 23:45
I am join in, but cannot yet confirm. GeneRoll, let me know your schedule. If all works out, I'll just drive to 'Nooga and hitch a ride with you!

Works for me. I'm in.

Tipi Walter
08-11-2008, 08:53
Is this on? I plan on humping over Sugar Mt and crossing the Brookshire from the north on the BMT. Will probably camp by the crossing down the Brookshire Creek trail a ways. The next day I hope to hump up the BMT/Brookshire valley towards Sled Runner Gap and the old State Line trail where I'll meet up with you guys, god willing and the creeks don't rise.

Two Speed
08-11-2008, 08:55
Mowgli said he'd get back today, and post details tomorrow.

Sooo, the classy thing to do would be to wait until about 12:05 AM and then bomb his inbox with PM's! :p

generoll
08-11-2008, 11:58
I have the weekend free, so I'll be there. Is there a meeting place or do we each find our own way there. I'm assuming this is a car camp with dayhikes to the worksite. Cuffs, if you're reading this then by all means leave your car at my place and ride with me. I have seat belts for four (including me) and cargo space so if anyone else wants to ride along then drop me a line.

envirodiver
08-12-2008, 12:13
I have a conflict. I'm moving my daughter into UT Saturday the 16th so I'll have to pass until the next one. Have fun guys.

Two Speed
08-12-2008, 12:26
'Bout time to start bombing that inbox, ain't it?

MOWGLI
08-12-2008, 16:12
OK. Sorry about the delay. I was back at midnight and took my kid to college this AM.

On Friday afternoon I'll be setting up camp at the Spivey Cove campground This is a USFS first come - first served campground ($6). Look for my red Jeep Cherokee. We'll leave for the hike along the Bald River Trail at about 8:30 Saturday morning. After the hike, we'll drive up to Beaverdam Bald and hike in to Sledrunner gap and setup camp. A 4WD vehicle is needed to get up this road. Sunday AM we'll perform some trail maintenance, and try and walk out by mid-afternoon.

Look for a PM in your in--box if you've expressed interest in the trip.

generoll
08-15-2008, 23:18
Still on? Lemme know whether to look for you or just head on by myself.

MOWGLI
08-18-2008, 06:38
A good time was had this weekend. It was great to meet Two Speed and Tipi Walter and to see Gene Roll again. We even met another Whiteblazer named Tony out on the trail. We also had some folks attend who are not Whiteblaze members.

I hope to do this sort of thing 2-3 times a year. A campout, a hike, then some trail maintenance. Usually it'll be off of the AT in a wilderness area in Tennessee. We could meander over into Joyce Kilmer - Slickrock however. Stay tuned and check your local listings.

Two Speed
08-18-2008, 08:13
. . . I hope to do this sort of thing 2-3 times a year. . . Sweet. One thing, though. You wanna shoot me directions a week or so early so I can check 'em for obvious boo-boos?

Usually I'd give someone a serious rash about directions like the last ones, but I had too much fun to rise to my normal level of sarcasm.