PDA

View Full Version : Glassmine Gap to Fontana Dam

Corvis
02-22-2004, 23:35
Every year my brother and I tackle another section of the Trail over the course of a week. We've been through Georgia and now we're in NC. This year, we're starting where we left off at Glassmine Gap and going for Fontana Dam. I was wondering if anyone out there can give us any firsthand accounts of that area... what to expect. I have the map so I can see what it's like, but I want to hear a firsthand account if possible. Are the ups and downs harder than what we've climbed (we did Albert Mountain last year so I imagine they're not going to be harder...)? Lots of water sources? Any known wild animals in the area? (We ran into the wild boar at a shelter in GA.) Any amazing views that we just can't miss?

Thanks!

A-Train
02-23-2004, 02:10
Many hikers believe that the NC mountains get a bit easier than the GA ones but thats because they are getting into trail shape. You'll have some tough ones, but nothing outrageous. Albert Mtn is straight up a rock scramble for about .3 miles and the view is excellent. Plan on spending some time there, especially nice late in the day. Wayah Bald is also got a great view. I found the section from NOC to Fontana to be more difficult than the rest of NC, because of the steep ups and downs. Just take your time and enjoy Cheoah Bald and the great scenary around there. There is usually plenty of water. Bears are possible around there, mice in the shelters. Enjoy, its a good one!

chris
02-23-2004, 08:51
Except for the NOC->Fontana leg, this is a fairly easy stretch. Very scenic and good, fun hiking. NOC->Fontana has a few tough, long climbs, and some really hard, short climbs. Good water. Shelters were fine in 2002, though nothing to get excited about. Outside of the NOC->Fontana part, the trail does go up and down, much like Georgia. I didn't think it was any easier or harder than Georgia. Good choice for a hike.

gravityman
02-23-2004, 11:34
Be prepared for the free shower at the dam and if you need a night to recover, the Fontana Hilton (the shelter near the dam) is sweet with flush toilets just a few steps away. The best part is if you go in winter, as the bathrooms are heated!

Rain Man
02-23-2004, 12:19
(We ran into the wild boar at a shelter in GA.)

I can't help myself.....

Did the boar snore?!!!

LOLOLOL

Big Dawg
02-23-2004, 18:22
Concur w/ above. I recently finished NOC => Fontana, & it definately was a little tougher than south of NOC, especially north of hwy#143/Stecoah gap, heading to Brown Fork Gap Shelter. The ascent is not long, but steeeep. But overall , the section you're hiking is challenging, & scenic. Stop & spend an hour at NOC---cool place! Plenty of water available in the section you'll be hiking. Bears are in the area--I never saw one. No other wild animals that I'm aware of--other than what you normally see. ENJOY!!

Corvis
02-24-2004, 14:56
Thanks everyone! That's really helpful. I have a newbie question though... what is "NOC"?

Corvis

PS to Rainman: That boar was a bore who couldn't stop with the snore. ;)

cgunti
02-24-2004, 15:06
NOC is the Nantahala Outdoor Center

Corvis
02-24-2004, 15:55
NOC is the Nantahala Outdoor CenterThanks!

Can I just throw out there that this board is great! I wish I had found it before now. Thanks to the admins for creating such a valuable resource.

Corvis