PDA

View Full Version : GSMNP Loop Oct 2-7 HELP!!!!

valleyfire
07-03-2008, 22:04
We were planning to hike from Clingman's Dome to Gregory's Bald and then down into Cades Cove where a vehicle would be. Is this a wise choice? Does anybody have any feedback on the route? How crowded is it going to be? Thank yall in advance for any information.

sliderule
07-03-2008, 22:19
That's a good hike. I would not expect much of a crowd on the trail, as all the shelters and campsite 13 require reservations. Which trail area you planning to take from Gregory Bald? Shuttling a vehicle to the Gregory Bald trailhead will be a little complicated due to the one-way road. Exiting on the Gregory Ridge Trail will avoid that complication.

chili36
07-05-2008, 08:32
The road is two way to the TH. Parsons Branch is one way from the TH to 129.

You shouldn't have much of a problem with crowds once you get west of Silars Bald. You will probably see a bunch of dayhikers between Silars and NFG.

sliderule
07-05-2008, 10:58
The road is two way to the TH. Parsons Branch is one way from the TH to 129.

That would depend entirely on which trail is being used. Which is why I asked that very question.

Exiting on the Gregory Ridge Trail would alow a return to Cades Cove. The Gregory Bald Trail is a totally different matter, unless things have changed recently.

chili36
07-05-2008, 12:40
You are correct. I guess I was being presumptive in thinking they would come down Gregory Ridge if they wanted to loop into the cove.

valleyfire
07-24-2008, 15:24
Thank yall for the information.

valleyfire
07-24-2008, 15:25
Thanks for the Gregory Ridge Trail tip.

valleyfire
07-24-2008, 15:26
Is there any views around camping site 13 that I dont need to miss? Any certain side trails that are must sees.

See Bee
07-24-2008, 15:48
http://www.cs.utk.edu/~dunigan/camp/m.php?wpt=BC013

Gregory Bald .36 miles east
Parson Bald .72 miles sw

There's a bigfoot report from 1998 between camp 13 and camp 95

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=3338

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-24-2008, 16:05
The Cades Cove Loop Road is an 11 mile one way road and it is about 7 miles along this road to Parsons Branch Road. Parsons Branch Road (the location of the Gregory Bald Trailhead) is a two-way road between the trailhead and Cades Cove Road - then one-way beyond the trailhead to US Highway 129.

If you want to avoid this trailhead because of the logistics, look at coming down from either Spence Field via Bote Mountain /Anthony Creek Trail or Russell Field via Russell Field / Anthony Creek Trail to the Cades Cove picnic area (outside of the loop road) Overnight parking is in lot near the camp store - not in the picnic area. They will tow your vehicle.

valleyfire
09-10-2008, 10:41
Is there any overnight parking on parsons branch road?

Egads
09-10-2008, 12:33
I don't think this is a 5 day hike. You may consider adding on to the hike to fill out 5 days.

Tn Bandit
09-10-2008, 13:12
Be sure to check the shelters before you plan. Russell Field (due to bears) and Mollies Ridge (water) are currently closed. You could stay Spence Field (sunset hike back to Rocky Top) and then onto #13. You can easily hike back up to Gregory Bald for sunset or sunrise hike. I agree this probably won't take 5 days but a great trip.
Photographed a hiker overlooking Cades Cove from the bald and a sunset hike to Rocky Top from Spence Shelter