PDA

View Full Version : MinnesotaSmith's 2009 redux AT thruhike

Pages : [1] 2

minnesotasmith
07-03-2008, 22:25
July 3, 2008
This one is going to be different in a few ways, not in some others.

1) Am adding the ~280 miles of the Pinhoti Trail to it as a warmup and bit of variety. Will start near Sylacauga, Alabama.

2) Plan is to have Faithwalker accompany me.

3) Will be leaving even earlier; will hit the Pinhoti in December 2008, with hopes of passing Amicalola very early February 2009.

4) Am going with some lighter gear, such as a Golite Odyssey pack (already ordered) instead of my Gregory Whitney. Will stay with alcohol stove (a Starlyte one this time) due to fuel resupply ease/canister weight. Staying with Henry Shires tarptent (considered and rejected hammocking), though will get new one. Going to a Big Agnes sleeping bag/inserted underpad combo, winter one only 15 degrees alone but with a liner (should add about 10 degrees, I estimate.) Staying with titanium pot, no mug, Lexan spoon, 1 pair Sealskins, high-top Dunham trailrunners, Bridgedale socks, gaiters, etc.

5) Adding more vegetables, generally freeze-dried. Found sources for FD green peas, asparagus, even persimmons. Am ordering fat-free FD Hispanic-cuisine beans online (previous discussion on WB re this type). We are experimenting with making our own beef jerky and dehydrated wild rice. Much less use of MRE entrees. Still bringing Oriental chopped dried cuttlefish. Apparently have located a source of cheap dried haddock (cod-like) fish jerky. Bringing some boysenberry jam packets from Minimus. Will have 8-oz. plastic bottles of olive oil from beginning.

6) Intend to use shelters considerably less, pushing most days to end of daylight/strength (if terrain permits, and not in sea of slush/mud).

7) Will use hostels somewhat less, hitting stops with shower/laundry options, with same-day move-on to maximize mileage.

8) Planning to slackpack little or none. As also very much wish to do straight-thru end-to-end thruhike, expect to have to really be focused on mileage.

9) I do plan to see Gulf Hagas this time, but will backtrack as being a white-blazer remains important to me.

10) Will still use maildrops heavily, but will do a # of partial ones with specialty items not reliably obtainable at a Kroger's/Food Lion.

11) Intend to mostly lay off the buffets this time. I did lose over 50 pounds last time, but would have liked to have lost about 30 more.

12) Still putting some Cadbury chocolate bars in drops. Upping dried apricot consumption (esp. in green tea), dried blueberries, etc. Intend to refind source of whole-wheat blueberry newtons (Mrs. Smith's, I think?).

13) Bringing small bear spray canister on most or all of hike. My past luck with many close calls from aggressive stray dogs not resulting in my actually losing blood unlikely to continue indefinitely IMO. Am hoping that being outside high-Trail-use time more of time may help reduce loose dog encounter frequency (hardly ever saw a dog on the AT when there was any snow).

14) Will have different hats for summer & winter stretches. (Already have.) Winter same as last time - impermeable nylon. Summer one is semipermeable one I've used in Colorado.

15) Tentatively planning to just bring 2 Ursacks to hold all food and not have to fool with bear lines, etc. Will save LOTS of time when tenting IMO.

16) Have added hardened copper-alloy endcap to new (still dogwood) staff. Is a bit longer than staff I used last time.

17) Will only consider going out of way for Trail Days if pace going very well.

18) Still going with Dunham trail runners (about a pair per 400-500 miles).

19) Going to experiment with bugshirt/pants before hike commencement to see if would work for me.

20) Staying with 25% DEET for nonfully-clothed body parts. Looking for nonpressurized-container permethrin for high-tick region gaiter spraying. Not sure where else I can safely spray latter.

Jack Tarlin
07-03-2008, 22:36
Best of luck!!

minnesotasmith
07-03-2008, 22:39
Best of luck!!

Feel free to give advice any where you think my planning is off-base or incomplete. That's the kind most people enjoy giving the most in any event IMO... ;)

ki0eh
07-03-2008, 22:40
Still doing PA the white blaze way?

minnesotasmith
07-03-2008, 22:44
Still doing PA the white blaze way?

Doesn't mean I won't eloquently curse at length the failed preventive measures that produced the E. PA trail designs, though. ;)

Lone Wolf
07-04-2008, 06:30
skip trail days. walk the creeper trail. blue-blaze more.

hopefulhiker
07-04-2008, 06:40
Another short blue blaze I would recommend is the short hike down to Pierce Pond falls in Maine.. I wish I had the time to do it again!

take-a-knee
07-04-2008, 08:36
North country canoe guru Cliff Jacobsen relies on dehydrated vacuum-bagged ground chuck (the leanest you can find) for a protein source. I haven't tried it yet but he swears by it. Check out Harmony House dehydrated veggies if you haven't already. I bought the backpacker's sampler from REI and I've liked everything I've tried so far. Barrilla whole-wheat pasta is a must.

bigmac_in
07-04-2008, 08:57
Odds are 50-1 he won't make it. :D :D

It's a JOKE ! Good luck Minnesotasmith. I'm sure you'll do it again. Don't push the miles so much you don't enjoy the hike.

Big Mac

MOWGLI
07-04-2008, 09:14
I recommend the BMT if you're walking the Pinhoti to the AT. It's a great trail.

A-Train
07-04-2008, 12:05
Good luck and have fun. Smart to make a list of things you want to do differently.

It's not too late-you can head out west. They have this great trail where it almost never rains, the trail is flat-ish and the views in the first 30 miles blow away anything the AT has to offer. Think about it:)

Flush2wice
07-04-2008, 12:18
I would recommend blue blazing early and often. It will greatly improve your odds of success.
Good luck!

rafe
07-04-2008, 12:20
I'd recommend a few blue-blazes through the Whites for anyone on their 2nd or subsequent thru hike.

saimyoji
07-04-2008, 12:49
How many rolls of TP this time?

Sly
07-04-2008, 14:19
I'd recommend a few blue-blazes through the Whites for anyone on their 2nd or subsequent thru hike.

I recommend another trail such as the PCT or CDT.

rafe
07-04-2008, 14:22
I recommend another trail such as the PCT or CDT.

Well, yeah. But that's just too obvious. :D

I feel for the PCT hikers right now, though. The fires must be doing a number on their views, if not their hikes.

minnesotasmith
07-04-2008, 15:14
How many rolls of TP this time?

Enough I don't ever run out and have to start looking for pine cones. :eek: ;)

minnesotasmith
07-04-2008, 15:15
Good luck and have fun. Smart to make a list of things you want to do differently.

It's not too late-you can head out west. They have this great trail where it almost never rains, the trail is flat-ish and the views in the first 30 miles blow away anything the AT has to offer. Think about it:)

You're speaking to a man who spends the majority of his time at over 8000' in the mountains of Colorado.;)

Panzer1
07-04-2008, 15:23
Good luck on your hike. I'm jealous.

Panzer

NICKTHEGREEK
07-04-2008, 15:24
Any wardrobe changes you'd like to announce in advance? ;)
Best wishes for a very enjoyable trek.

dessertrat
07-04-2008, 15:25
A longer staff than last time?

OK, Gandalf. Is that for laying across rivers and walking across?

FaithWalker
07-04-2008, 15:29
we're in a pretty good place for protein in trail food, with the jerky, cuttlefish, fish jerky, and more beans (especially on nights we'll be in shelters with other people). http://mail.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/3.gif

minnesotasmith
07-04-2008, 16:08
Any wardrobe changes you'd like to announce in advance? ;)
Best wishes for a very enjoyable trek.

-Am only going to have the gray rain hat for the wintery parts of my hike. Have a thinner light-tan summer one that covers more vs. sun (from REI) that also kind of comes down around my face more & has flap in back, so doesn't need bandannas.

-Going to buy a bug shirt and maybe 1-2 of some other clothing types from people who sell bug shirts.

-Using higher, thicker gaiters in snow this time. (Have already; are bright neon yellow; considering using brown RIT dye on them, though.)

-Windbreaker from same company (TOTES). Is a bit thicker (not my idea), so definitely need to try to beat the heat north as much as possible. Those 107-degree days in E PA/NJ are NOT my favorite memories of the AT. (Well, I was sick then, too.)

-Using synthetic gloves instead of cotton for dry hiking days.

minnesotasmith
07-04-2008, 16:27
Odds are 50-1 he won't make it. :D :D

It's a JOKE ! Good luck Minnesotasmith. I'm sure you'll do it again.

Big Mac

I didn't expect to hear again. ;)

Also Flush2wice said I'd be considerably more likely to succeed if I blue-blazed a lot. That one I don't get. Do you mean "succeed" WRT some criteria other than simply finishing again, such as doing my hike as fast a pace as I'd like to manage this time?

Lone Wolf
07-04-2008, 20:02
don't slackpack any this trip. it cheapens the journey. my opinion

Wolf - 23000
07-04-2008, 21:11
MS,

I would suggest using dry veggies instead of the freeze dry version. Freeze dry food is light weight but has little to no nutrition value.

Good Luck on your hike.

Wolf

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-04-2008, 21:28
He'll never make it :D (Just teasing you, MS)

Since you have done a hike using the WhiteBlazes, you seriously might want to consider hiking some of the blue-blazed trail this time. Much of the blue-blazed trail was part of the AT in the past. Consider it a walk thru history.

minnesotasmith
07-04-2008, 21:40
MS,

I would suggest using dry veggies instead of the freeze dry version. Freeze dry food is light weight but has little to no nutrition value.

Good Luck on your hike.

Wolf

That it was the higher/longer heat involved in ambient-pressure dehydration that was more effective at destroying heat-sensitive vitamins such as Vitamin C (perhaps the most vulnerable one) in foods processed that way, as opposed to the lower/shorter temps freeze-drying involves. This question is important enough that I will double-check it.

Thank you for the good wishes.

minnesotasmith
07-04-2008, 21:49
A longer staff than last time?

OK, Gandalf. Is that for laying across rivers and walking across?

Close on the second part. On my first thruhike, a long staff repeatedly was a godsend for boulder fields, steep sustained downhills with unstable footing, and transiting long trees that had fallen across streams with nontrivial widths. There also were times that my staff (which shortened by around 10" over the course of my hike due to wearing away) was not as long as I would have preferred. I have been using my current replacement staff for dayhikes for some time, and as its length is not a drawback thus far (including in some moderately hairy places in Colorado Rockies), I figure that it is worth bringing in its current length.

As mentioned earlier, I have fitted it with a hardened metal endcap, which appears capable of resisting erosive shortening for the a thruhike's duration. (Even if the bottom does wear off, the remaining waterproof glue- & galvanized nail-attached sleeve should easily last that far IMO.)

Too, my staff is not for defense against the most determined/large/numerous stray dogs. The shape and length of a baseball bat would do better for that IMO, but that would make for a lousy walking staff. I'm carrying bear spray from the beginning to make the odds better this time.

minnesotasmith
07-04-2008, 21:51
don't slackpack any this trip. it cheapens the journey. my opinion

That's kind of the plan. If my knees are a wreck by Glencliff, I may fall back on SPing, preferring slacking the AT to getting off it altogether.

minnesotasmith
07-04-2008, 21:55

Have little shade, fewer shelters, lightning most afternoons, and much of what water there is has first been "processed" through the kidneys of domestic stock animals? Just making sure we're talking about the same trail. ;)

A-Train
07-04-2008, 22:04
Have little shade, fewer shelters, lightning most afternoons, and much of what water there is has first been "processed" through the kidneys of domestic stock animals? Just making sure we're talking about the same trail. ;)

I think your talking about the CDT...

True the PCT has little shade (in the desert) and no shelters, but that's one of the reasons it's a great experience.

I don't know anything about the lightning storms and water you speak of.

Sly
07-04-2008, 23:20
I think your talking about the CDT...

True the PCT has little shade (in the desert) and no shelters, but that's one of the reasons it's a great experience.

I don't know anything about the lightning storms and water you speak of.

It's obvious he hasn't done much research on either trail. Oh well his loss.

Panzer1
07-05-2008, 00:02
How are you managing to get all this time off work?

Panzer

Sly
07-05-2008, 00:31
How are you managing to get all this time off work?

Panzer

I think most just quit (after saving a bunch of dough), while others may be fortunate enough to get a leave of absence.

napster
07-05-2008, 00:41
whats your plan of trail action?Ya gonna take it easy and blue blaze or going all whiteblazes.Why again so soon?Is the hat for sun protection and bugs ?You got the fever or is ther just some things you desire to do diffrent?What have you shave your weight down to or are you carring about the same?Enjoyed your posts last year.Keep us updated and have a good time.
N......

minnesotasmith
07-05-2008, 09:50
I think most just quit (after saving a bunch of dough), while others may be fortunate enough to get a leave of absence.

Working a lot beforehand, living simply (well beneath my income), involved with someone with the same behavior, racking my brain on ways (other than cutting gear quality or food nutrition) to go cheaper, and my field is one in which I can get a better job easily once I'm done with my hike. (Would have jumped ship to one of several tentative higher-paying offers already, but for my planned hike.)

Tilly
07-05-2008, 10:30
How are you getting to the trailhead in AL? Are you starting at Bull Gap?
Just curious. It seems that after Birmingham there is no public transp.

Odd Thomas
07-05-2008, 10:41
It's obvious he hasn't done much research on either trail. Oh well his loss.

There's an impressive hint in his profile about the research he's done. :)

Odd Thomas
07-05-2008, 10:45
Working a lot beforehand, living simply (well beneath my income), involved with someone with the same behavior, racking my brain on ways (other than cutting gear quality or food nutrition) to go cheaper, and my field is one in which I can get a better job easily once I'm done with my hike. (Would have jumped ship to one of several tentative higher-paying offers already, but for my planned hike.)

You have it all, good luck to you sir!

minnesotasmith
07-05-2008, 10:49
whats your plan of trail action?Ya gonna take it easy and blue blaze or going all whiteblazes.Why again so soon?Is the hat for sun protection and bugs ?You got the fever or is ther just some things you desire to do diffrent?What have you shave your weight down to or are you carring about the same?Enjoyed your posts last year.Keep us updated and have a good time.
N......

-Whiteblazing again, want to do it considerably faster, highly desire doing it end-to-end, with little or no slackpacking (I'll admit it if I do, as I did last time). So, have something more to prove to myself on the AT, I suppose.

-I miss the Trail and many of the people on it. I liked how my body adjusted to the life, thinking it's closer than civilized life WRT how we're designed to live.

-Dropping weight of my load this time (not to UL, esp. since starting in winter).

-Hats are protection vs. weather (precipitation/cold/UV), bugs, brush.

Cookerhiker
07-05-2008, 16:37
Best wishes on your second thruhike. I know you said you intend to white-blaze all the way but if there's one place where IMO blue-blazing is perferable. The old original AT/LT which stood for decades is now a blue-blaze. I like it better because it crosses the middle of Sherburne Pass right next to the Long Trail Inn.

minnesotasmith
07-05-2008, 22:04
Best wishes on your second thruhike. I know you said you intend to white-blaze all the way but if there's one place where IMO blue-blazing is perferable. The old original AT/LT which stood for decades is now a blue-blaze. I like it better because it crosses the middle of Sherburne Pass right next to the Long Trail Inn.

I would have guessed the Creeper Trail or Gulf Hagas as top alternative routes to blue-blaze. I do remember the Trail info board showing the routes for that section.

minnesotasmith
07-06-2008, 11:17
MS,

Good Luck on your hike.

Wolf

I'm seriously concerned about making the better decision on this issue, so I did a little looking up on it. Here's what I'm seeing:

1) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14790572/

"Although freeze-dried fruits are small and light-weight, studies show that the antioxidant phytochemicals found in the fruits' fresh state are retained at levels almost as high after freeze-drying. Studies also show that the phytochemicals in freeze-dried fruits can reach our bloodstream."

"Although freeze-dried fruits provide both nutrients and phytochemicals, they seem to be lower in vitamins that are prone to breakdown, like vitamin C, than fresh and frozen fruits. More research is needed to clarify the actual differences."
----------------------------------------------------
I am having a heck of a time finding a first-rate article on this subject, including after digging around on the USDA's site for most of an hour. I e-mailed the USDA's consumer help site, a food science Ph.D that works in freeze-drying science, and the CEO of a company that sells FD & dehydrated food, and will post what they tell me if/when they write me back.

Pedaling Fool
07-06-2008, 11:38
Good luck MS, I'm really eager in reading the redux version of "The Thread".

minnesotasmith
07-06-2008, 12:14
Of course, keeping The Thread Redux going once I actually start hiking will be primarily dependent upon other people. I don't yet have someone lined up to post pics or phoned-in information, either.

I've got my tentative resupply points/maildrops lined up, along with hostel stops/shower & laundry points.
I wish Abol Bridge or Whitehouse Landing would accept maildrops, or that I could figure a practical way to get a package from Millinocket to AB or Baxter without having to go get it myself.

I'm now focusing on:

1) Working as much as I can, to sock away funds, as is Faithwalker.

2) Getting in better walking shape.

3) Finalizing and obtaining my gear and supplies. (It's nice to have an REI near me, where I can order stuff and not pay postage if I pick it up at the store.) Comments on gear/supplies in particular are very welcome from Thread readers. ;)

Phreak
07-06-2008, 13:21
Of course, keeping The Thread Redux going once I actually start hiking will be primarily dependent upon other people. I don't yet have someone lined up to post pics or phoned-in information, either.

I've got my tentative resupply points/maildrops lined up, along with hostel stops/shower & laundry points.
I wish Abol Bridge or Whitehouse Landing would accept maildrops, or that I could figure a practical way to get a package from Millinocket to AB or Baxter without having to go get it myself.

I'm now focusing on:

3) Finalizing and obtaining my gear and supplies. (It's nice to have an REI near me, where I can order stuff and not pay postage if I pick it up at the store.) Comments on gear/supplies in particular are very welcome from Thread readers. ;)

Buddy @ The Lakeshore House delivered one of my maildrops to Abol Bridge last June for $35-40... I can't remember the exact amount.

minnesotasmith
07-06-2008, 13:27
Buddy @ The Lakeshore House delivered one of my maildrops to Abol Bridge last June for $35-40... I can't remember the exact amount.

That's not a bad idea. Say, is that the same "Buddy" that was long associated with Shaw's?

Phreak
07-06-2008, 14:08
That's not a bad idea. Say, is that the same "Buddy" that was long associated with Shaw's?
Yes, the same one. He runs 7 Pines Shuttle service out of Monson as well as working at The Lakeshore House.

The Solemates
07-07-2008, 09:42
have fun, ms. maybe we'll see ya out on the pinhoti...still have about half that trail left..

John B
07-07-2008, 11:07
Who is your partner Faithwalker -- does she have much experience hiking? Why did you decide to buddy up instead of another solo? Have you reached an agreement beforehand for each to HYOH in terms of distance, zeros, etc? I've read of some who stop their hike if their partner quits -- is that a concern for either?

Good luck with your hike. I enjoyed reading about the last one.

minnesotasmith
07-07-2008, 12:13
Who is your partner Faithwalker -- does he have much experience hiking? Why did you decide to buddy up instead of another solo? Have you reached an agreement beforehand for each to HYOH in terms of distance, zeros, etc? I've read of some who stop their hike if their partner quits -- is that a concern for either?

Good luck with your hike. I enjoyed reading about the last one.

Is a woman in her late 30s. She is VERY organized (one of those people who gets her Christmas presents bought and wrapped 3-5 months early), which is extremely helpful at this stage, of gear-selecting/acquisition, maildrop planning, oddball food searching, etc. Likewise, she is hard-working, good with money, likes the outdoors, and is more than a bit stoical about most physical privations. The closest thing to a concern about her I have is that she will be like me in being somewhat blindsided during her first thruhike by the physical fitness demands of the AT; I was astounded at how hard it was, to do decent miles, day after day. But, I have faith in her, and we ARE doing the Pinhoti first as a warm-up, where if we need to go slowly, we can, without affecting pace for the Amicalola-Katahdin stretch.

Wonder
07-07-2008, 12:23
Best of luck to you!!!!!
As per the food debate.....I'm a giant fan of dehydrating. I always had meat and veggie in every meal.....and the lightest food bag of anyone I knew. My mother became a pro at coming up with great meals. Just soak in a little water throughout the day.
Again, best of luck to the both of you!

Sly
07-07-2008, 12:41
we ARE doing the Pinhoti first as a warm-up, where if we need to go slowly, we can, without affecting pace for the Amicalola-Katahdin stretch.

While it's good to have some conditioning before a long distance hike and it's good to do other trails, I don't understand your logic. If you added the week or two that it's going to take the Pinhoti Trail to your AT hike, there'd be less pressure to get to ME. Regardless, best of luck.

minnesotasmith
07-07-2008, 13:09
While it's good to have some conditioning before a long distance hike and it's good to do other trails, I don't understand your logic. If you added the week or two that it's going to take the Pinhoti Trail to your AT hike, there'd be less pressure to get to ME. Regardless, best of luck.

For starters, weather will rarely make the hiking the Pinhoti not practical. The same is not true of the GSNP. If we just went to Amicalola in Dec., I bet we'd run into deep snow long before Damascus that would stop us. I don't wish to spend a week or more in Fontana, twiddling my thumbs.

In our plan, we would have close to 300 miles of daily trail-hardening immediately behind us when we hit the AT. Surely our pace then would be better than if we started the AT cold from civilized life.

Too, we're not going to start the AT late at all IMO. We should be at Amic. by early February, I hope; that's surely plenty early yet in the year. I just want us to have done an end-to-end, slackless, summitting K. no later than 9/1. I think our current plan will give that to us, with the preparations we are undergoing.

I do remain fully open to ideas on how to improve our plans.

Two Speed
07-07-2008, 13:30
Sounds like a good plan the way it is. Besides, the Pinhoti is a great trail in it's own right, although I ain't sold on some of the road walks in Georgia. Once you get north of Calhoun all that should be behind you, though.

Sly
07-07-2008, 13:35
OK, sounds good. I didn't realize you were starting so early and planned on finishing by Sept. 1 (before the foliage)

mudhead
07-07-2008, 14:25
I do remain fully open to ideas on how to improve our plans.

Hump freight at 8,000'.

Call it training. You both will become quite hardened.

Bare Bear
07-08-2008, 19:43
Hope to meet you this time thru MS.

rickb
07-08-2008, 19:59
The old original AT/LT which stood for decades is now a blue-blaze. I like it better because it crosses the middle of Sherburne Pass right next to the Long Trail Inn.

I think that the current route takes you very close to the Inn at the Long Trail, too. Its down a sort blue blaze now. The old one might be better, though.

rafe
07-08-2008, 20:13
I think that the current route takes you very close to the Inn at the Long Trail, too. Its down a sort blue blaze now. The old one might be better, though.

The northern junction (of the old/new AT) is about 1/2 mile or so from the Inn. There's a pleasant, mellow side trail leading from there to the Inn.

The southern junction is up on the Pico ridge. The "old" AT is called the Sherburne trail and leads directly to the Inn. It's also quite nice. I'm really not sure why they had to reroute the trail here. Weary probably knows the story... I do know that ATC and Killington were fighting over this matter for years and years.

Jim Adams
07-08-2008, 20:47
the views in the first 30 miles blow away anything the AT has to offer.
I never saw anything out there in the first 700 miles that could compare to most of the AT.:-?

North country canoe guru Cliff Jacobsen relies on dehydrated vacuum-bagged ground chuck (the leanest you can find)

I use dehydrated lean ground chuck all the time. It adds so much density and taste to just about anything. Buy the leanest that you can find and cook it. Drain any grease off of it and then put it in a collander and rinse it thoroughly with HOT water to remove any remaining grease then dehydrate. It will be very hard and crumbly and will take about 1 1/2 hours to rehydrate in cold water. Just put it in a sealed bottle (gatorade bottle?) and let it soak during your last 2 hours of hiking. It will rehydrate in about 10 minutes in hot water. These times will vary with how dry you have made it.
Dried very dry in a zip lock, it will keep for about 3 months. Very dry and vacuum bagged will last about a year. Veggies will last about a year in the zip lock and 5 years vacuum bagged.
If you like tomato sauce, use the dry packets that sell for 3/$1 (actually cheaper than doing yourself) and when it calls to add a can of tomato paste, use dehydrated tomato quarters or eighths instead. This sauce is very good with dehydrated mushrooms, ground beef, garlic, onion, etc.
Another good pasta is Barilla Tortelini.

Hope this adds alittle variety to your trip and good luck!

geek

A-Train
07-09-2008, 01:10
I use dehydrated lean ground chuck all the time. It adds so much density and taste to just about anything. Buy the leanest that you can find and cook it. Drain any grease off of it and then put it in a collander and rinse it thoroughly with HOT water to remove any remaining grease then dehydrate. It will be very hard and crumbly and will take about 1 1/2 hours to rehydrate in cold water. Just put it in a sealed bottle (gatorade bottle?) and let it soak during your last 2 hours of hiking. It will rehydrate in about 10 minutes in hot water. These times will vary with how dry you have made it.
Dried very dry in a zip lock, it will keep for about 3 months. Very dry and vacuum bagged will last about a year. Veggies will last about a year in the zip lock and 5 years vacuum bagged.
If you like tomato sauce, use the dry packets that sell for 3/$1 (actually cheaper than doing yourself) and when it calls to add a can of tomato paste, use dehydrated tomato quarters or eighths instead. This sauce is very good with dehydrated mushrooms, ground beef, garlic, onion, etc.
Another good pasta is Barilla Tortelini.

Hope this adds alittle variety to your trip and good luck!

geek

Not sure what happened here, but I never wrote that line about the first 700 miles of the PCT, or why it was included in the thread.....

Someone is impersonating me

Heater
07-09-2008, 01:20
I'm really not sure why they had to reroute the trail here.

To stop encroachment on the trail corridor from a proposed housing development, perhaps?

:-?

rafe
07-09-2008, 04:20
To stop encroachment on the trail corridor from a proposed housing development, perhaps?

:-?

Is that a guess, or do you have specific info?

rcli4
07-09-2008, 15:30
They moved it to stop development on that side of the mountain.

Clyde

Heater
07-09-2008, 16:06
Is that a guess, or do you have specific info?

There was a thread a while back where this question came up. "Why did they move the trail from one side of the mountain to the other." I remember looking on Google Earth at the subdivision and development in that area.

I don't remember the thread though, thus the "perhaps" in my reply.

bfitz
07-09-2008, 23:12
Lock up your mothers.

prsncguy
07-10-2008, 10:58
Good Luck. See you out there!

Mother's Finest
07-10-2008, 14:06
Good to see you are prepared for another go-round Smith.

will be watching this thread.

peace
mf

minnesotasmith
07-10-2008, 16:49
Good to see you are prepared for another go-round Smith.

will be watching this thread.

peace
mf

I've got several new twists planned for this thru attempt. There's the Pinhoti, going (relatively) lighter-weight, hitting the AT even earlier, going with someone the whole way, doing it as a straight shot, tenting more, and a couple more I'll let anyone watching figure out... ;)

Say, I still need a WhiteBlaze-connected person to post info from when I call them by phone with progress/news. Anyone interested?

minnesotasmith
07-11-2008, 21:28
How are you getting to the trailhead in AL?

Relative is dropping us off.

minnesotasmith
07-11-2008, 22:02
Hope to meet you this time thru MS.

What are your plans WRT being on/near the AT next year?

minnesotasmith
07-11-2008, 22:10
Aside from a titanium pot suitable in size for 2 people (say, 1.5 liters), I would really like to find packets of butter (not margarine), packets of blackberry jam (not jelly), and packets of cheese (not Cheese Whiz), all like they have in MREs. I am aware of www.minimus (http://www.minimus).

ed bell
07-12-2008, 00:51
Aside from a titanium pot suitable in size for 2 people (say, 1.5 liters), I would really like to find packets of butter (not margarine), packets of blackberry jam (not jelly), and packets of cheese (not Cheese Whiz), all like they have in MREs. I am aware of www.minimus (http://www.minimus).You would probably be better off trying to micro- package those things yourself considering the fact that you are already aware of the only options available on the internet.

Heater
07-12-2008, 01:10
You would probably be better off trying to micro- package those things yourself considering the fact that you are already aware of the only options available on the internet.

Single serving Butter (http://www.canarybutter.co.nz/flavoured_butter.html)

Single serving Jams (http://www.foodservicedirect.com/index.cfm/S/22/CLID/3542/N/4398/Heinz_Single_Serving_Jam.htm)

Single serving cheese? :-?

Why? :confused:

ed bell
07-12-2008, 01:15
Single serving Butter (http://www.canarybutter.co.nz/flavoured_butter.html)

Single serving Jams (http://www.foodservicedirect.com/index.cfm/S/22/CLID/3542/N/4398/Heinz_Single_Serving_Jam.htm)

Single serving cheese? :-?

Why? :confused:He wants to utilize small packaged portions on his hike. He wants the cost to be less expensive than the options that have been provided.

Heater
07-12-2008, 01:19
He wants to utilize small packaged portions on his hike. He wants the cost to be less expensive than the options that have been provided.

But cheese keeps pretty well, doesn't make a mess and would be way less expensive.

ed bell
07-12-2008, 01:22
But cheese keeps pretty well, doesn't make a mess and would be way less expensive.I know that, you know that, and he must be considering other options.:sun

minnesotasmith
07-12-2008, 11:25
He wants to utilize small packaged portions on his hike. He wants the cost to be less expensive than the options that have been provided.

The large, conventional-store versions of those food items often won't keep from going bad long enough in nonwinter weather IMO. And, as I can't find them for sale, yet they obviously do exist (have found them in MREs, after all), it's a bit frustrating to not be able to find where I can purchase them individually ala how all the ketchup, mustard, etc. packets can be had at a Sam's Club.

I should add that I did make some use of the Laughing Cow brand of semi-stable "cheese" rounds on my 1st thruhike. The lower-fat one is okay, but as it still says to refrigerate, I'm not convinced I can put it in a summer mail drop for eating weeks or months later.

Anyway, for the ~1.5 liter titanium pot, cost isn't an issue. It's not a consumable, so useful difference in quality is something that adds up over time to mean a great deal.

Wolf - 23000
07-12-2008, 14:41
I've got several new twists planned for this thru attempt. There's the Pinhoti, going (relatively) lighter-weight, hitting the AT even earlier, going with someone the whole way, doing it as a straight shot, tenting more, and a couple more I'll let anyone watching figure out... ;)

Say, I still need a WhiteBlaze-connected person to post info from when I call them by phone with progress/news. Anyone interested?

Does that mean you won't be that HUGE Pack that I saw you carrying?

Wolf

notorius tic
07-12-2008, 15:15
#9 a must GREAT HIKE SMALL LOOP BUT well worth it.. PS. dont miss the sign.. ITS funky the way it was last year at least.. Have fun an safe Hiking

minnesotasmith
07-12-2008, 16:15
Does that mean you won't be [carrying] that HUGE Pack that I saw you carrying?

Wolf

Correct. I proved one point, that I could carry a large pack through most terrain (albeit not through southern Maine). Now, I have a speed issue to test...

minnesotasmith
07-13-2008, 12:11
I saw a post (with pic) once that showed a roughly 1-pound steel net with lock for pack security. I'm having trouble finding that link. Anyone know what the name of that item is?

briarpatch
07-13-2008, 14:47
http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php?_room=3&activity_id=6

minnesotasmith
07-13-2008, 18:48
http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php?_room=3&activity_id=6

I think a #85 will do us just fine. Imagine the chagrin among the thieves at Trail Days if every pack-bringer there used one of these. :D

Thank you, thank you, BP.

whitefoot_hp
07-15-2008, 12:36
where would such a locking device prove useful?

A-Train
07-15-2008, 12:39

Train and bus stations in Europe, Asia, Latin America, etc.

minnesotasmith
07-15-2008, 13:57

Anyplace I'd want to put my pack down not behind a locked door nor deep in the woods. Hostels near anything else, stores (especially ones where taking inside is not possible), etc. And, yes, if I went to Trail Days in 2009, it could be useful (although I do have an offer from someone to stay with on their property during that time).

Too many hikers get their packs swiped, crimping or ending their hikes. I was both paranoid and lucky about mine last time. I'd like to just be more secure that way.

Mark57
07-16-2008, 10:50
MS
With all the gear and food is said and done, what will be your average daily packweight?

Also, doesnt food maildrops limit or restrict your daily hiking? I have never thru hiked, yet. My time will come.

One more thing. For anyone. What is the average cost now for a thru hike, less gear?

PS, I am so jealous but as i said. My time will come. Good luck and God speed. White Blaze all the way!

minnesotasmith
07-16-2008, 12:50
MS
With all the gear and food is said and done, what will be your average daily packweight?

Also, doesnt food maildrops limit or restrict your daily hiking? I have never thru hiked, yet. My time will come.

One more thing. For anyone. What is the average cost now for a thru hike, less gear?

PS, I am so jealous but as i said. My time will come. Good luck and God speed. White Blaze all the way!

1) Am shooting for leaving resupply points with about 40 pounds or so in summer, around 5 more in winter. More in long stretches like the 100 Mile Wilderness, Smokies (no WHL or Gatlinburg for me), etc.

2) Actually, done right, maildrops reduce undesired nonhiking time for resupply. Here's my strategy on those:

-Last time, I dropped off several of my maildrops (Neel Gap, Blueberry Patch). This allows for sticking in unmailable items such as stove fuel and a gallon or two of distilled water (for use at hostel, and refilling all water jugs before leaving the hostel to return to the Trail).

-I like to send maildrops to hostels at which I'm going to stay if at all possible. I'm already there, hours are nearly 24/7, and it's a great place to process it into my pack. Next choice is outfitters I'm likely to go to anyway (right on my way, say), as they're usually open 7 days a week, and longer than POs. Post offices are the LAST place I try to send drops, although if they are essentially on the Trail (Hanover) or by the hostel (Glencliff), they're a bit less of a PITA.

-I also stick in a dispo razor, a motel bar of soap, a plastic bag or two of laundry detergent, perhaps enough quarters for a laundromat if needed, money for the hostel, more Aqua Mira, gallon and smaller freezer bags, wet wipes, a contractor bag every drop, etc. As needed, I have my support person stick in more bodyglide, underwear, socks, camp soap, gaiter string, etc. (all bought ahead of time). Then, I typically (esp. for isolated hostels such as Standing Bear, Hikers Welcome, Neel Gap, or the Blueberry Patch) put in enough open and eat (mostly canned) nutritious/comfort food for eating at the hostel. Most hostels now have denatured alcohol for sale either on premises or nearby, for that ONE item (fuel) I can't mail.

All this is in addition to actual trail food.

This means that I don't have to leave the hostel for anything until I'm ready to go back to the Trail. Think of it; I can arrive at a hostel in late afternoon, shower, do laundry, eat, resupply, organize my pack, go to bed early (especially if there's no good conversation or internet access to get me on Whiteblaze), get up early fully rested and ready to hit the Trail first thing the next day. Not a bad plan IMO. :sun

Then, for places (Troutville, say) where resupply at a BIG grocery store is easy, I might only send a drop that foodwise consists of oddball stuff I can't easily or reliably get even in a large grocery store. Examples include freeze-dried vegetables (peas/spinach/broccoli/asparagus), shelf-stable cheese, shelf-stable compressed whole-grain bread, olive oil in small containers, cuttlefish jerky, dried fish (going with haddock jerky in a big way this next time), whole-wheat fig newtons (adding WW blueberry ones this time), unusual dried fruit, small containered healthy PB, boysenberry/blackberry jam packets, occasional (fewer this time) MRE entrees, etc.

When I do resupply at a grocery store/town, in addition to hiker food and a big lunch eaten there, I commonly pick up a half-gallon each of skim milk and (Calcium-free) OJ in collapsible plastic, a Subway sandwich or two on WW with about 1" of tomato and 2" of fresh spinach, a hunk of lowfat Mozarella cheese, some turkey sausage, a couple of apples, etc.

The milk and as much of the OJ as possible gets drunk there, the rest that day. If I'm doing a "buy" resupply convenient to a hostel that has freezer access, I may well freeze either or both of a quart of milk or a quart to half gallon of OJ. Wrap it in 2 Wal-Mart bags, and it'll be cold when camped that night. I've heard of buying ice cream (it'd be nonfat, of course) and storing it inside a sleeping bag, but have not yet tried this.

I also like to try to have as much as possible my resupplies alternate between one "full" maildrop and a full/partial "buy". That way, I don't have to gauge my total consumption exactly; if I'm getting too much, it doesn't accumulate/get wasted, and too little, I don't starve. (I try to always have SOMETHING left over from a previous resupply point when I get to the next one.)

3) I suggest planning on at least 5 grand for a thruhike. That excludes initial gear purchases, initial travel to Amicalola, recreational chemicals, motels, pink-blazing, aqua-blazing, sightseeing, non-hike-related travel, charity, medical expenses, excessive/expensive restaurants (sushi/steak places), and such.

It does allow for normal gear replacements. You will probably lose a pack cover during your hike; then there's heavy gloves for the Whites and Maine (in all seasons for the rocks) wearing out, bug repellents at least for June-August, unavoidable occasional gear mouse chewing damage, gaiters and their strings fall apart, stoves get crushed, you use up your duct tape, socks wear holes, band-aid/moleskin/white 1st-aid tape all need replacing, you'll need replacement toiletries and laundry soap, toilet paper, etc. It does not include footwear; I use trail runners (Dunhams, as go wide enough for me), and figure on 5 new pairs (including initial one) per thruhike.

Good luck with your future thruhike. You'll never regret you did it.

Sly
07-16-2008, 14:14
MS

I'd say an average thru-hike cost $3000-4000. However, thanks to inflation even the price of Lipton's is going up.

max patch
07-16-2008, 14:41

If you eat "normal" hiking foods maildrops are an unnecessary annoyance. It can be a PITA to get your box, and then you'll usually need to go to a grocery store anyway for certain items.

However, if you have dietary restrictions, or if you attempt to eat healthier than "normal" hiking foods -- as MS is doing -- then maildrops can make sense.

minnesotasmith
07-19-2008, 15:28
I used one of these last time: http://www.greatoutdoorsdepot.com/adventure16-bug-bivy.html

It was lightweight, reasonably durable (didn't fall apart all summer), and not that pricy. Problem was, it only protected the upper half of my body, so I had to cover that with something else, which on hot nights wasn't so comfortable.

What I think I'll go with next time: http://www.backcountry.com/store/ODR0056/Outdoor-Research-Bug-Bivy.html

This is still only a pound, about 20 bucks more, and on nights following those 100+ degree days in PA, should be MUCH more comfortable... :)

minnesotasmith
07-20-2008, 10:10
Is a place I can order certain groceries in bulk. I was thinking of stuff along the lines of the following (virtually all of which I've seen in ordinary large grocery stores):

-Lipton (whole-grained) Sides

-dried fruit (figs, dates, apricots, blueberries, mango)

-Havli whole-grained crackers (rye or wheat)

-those Mexican-style dehydrated beans (they have a fat-free version, yay, but the manufacturer/primary distributor does not offer much of a deal for case orders on their website)

-green tea (Celestial Seasonings decaf, NOT any herbal/fruit type)

-Mestemacher compressed shelf-stable whole-grained bread

-Cadbury chocolate bars (no, I'm not perfect)

-MRE entrees, MRE real cheese packets

-foil packs of salmon, shrimp, crab, etc. (no tuna BC of the mercury)

-whole-wheat macaroni (the real stuff, not ones with just a little wheat germ & bran added after processing to white flour macaroni to color it)

-cans of asparagus/mixed greens/spinach/turnip greens/good canned fruit/canned fish for mail drops to eat while at isolated hostels

-Bajamar/Goya canned octopus (latter the better but more expensive brand)

-dehydrated orange juice (NOT Tang/Sunny unDelight worthless garbage)

-peanut butter with NO added sugars/fats of any kind

-beef jerky that's cheaper than the Wal-Mart brand (still making some, too)

-whole shelled raw unsalted almonds, walnuts, sunflower seeds
------------------------------------------------------------

Several kinds of supplements I take regularly would be handy as well:

-Fish oil capsules

-Calcium supplements

-Iron-free nongeneric vitamin & mineral pills (ideally of biologic origin, though terribly hard to find anymore)

-81-mg enteric-coated aspirin
================================================== =

Any ideas on where I can order any of these in bulk would be helpful to both our finances. I suspect that might be of interest to other readers who want to want to eat healthily on a budget as well...

Sly
07-20-2008, 14:09
Two places to buy bulk are waltonfeed.com and mountain house. Also, I found doctor's trust to be a good place for supplements.

Bare Bear
07-20-2008, 16:08
Once again I will 'meet you' only thru the shelter logs as you will be far ahead of me. Best of luck and health in 09.

RBoone
07-20-2008, 20:35
Minnesota, if I may ask, what was your body weight the day you started your hike, what was it when you reached Kathadin, and what do you weigh now?

Best of luck. It was a kick following your hike.

minnesotasmith
07-21-2008, 08:31
Minnesota, if I may ask, what was your body weight the day you started your hike, what was it when you reached Kathadin, and what do you weigh now?

Best of luck. It was a kick following your hike.

Two of those three are long-ago posted in the infamous "MinnesotaSmith Update" thread.

They are:

1) Around 265.

2) Around 205.

3) Not sure, but close to #1. :o I've been promoted to what's called a unit manager, and my work hours are considerably longer (and my job stress is higher), so I can't hike as much as I was when just the night logging geologist.

This time, the goal is to run myself largely out of body fat before I get off the Trail. I have several ideas on how to do that, from skipping the buffets to making more miles by pushing til dark more.

minnesotasmith
07-23-2008, 10:48
Very small, like 25-milliliter-sized plastic bottles of Chambord or English mead for toasting certain milestones along the Trail. I used DeKuper peach schnapps last time, BC I couldn't find those.

minnesotasmith
07-24-2008, 10:19
Very small, like 25-milliliter-sized plastic bottles of Chambord or English mead for toasting certain milestones along the Trail. I used DeKuper peach schnapps last time, BC I couldn't find those.

Faithwalker had found and purchased some already, and hadn't told me BC it was a surprise.

Still looking for a source for German vegetable sausage and whole-wheat blueberry Newtons. Pretty sure I've got a source for fish jerky, at something like $7/pound. Is haddock from Newfoundland. If it's obtainable on a continuing basis, I'll post the contact info on this.

minnesotasmith
07-25-2008, 12:48
I figured out what I think are some improvements on making photographic records of hiking the Trail, even while still using disposable cameras.

1) When possible, use a carrier other than the USPS to get them to a support person, such as FedEx or UPS. (The Postal Service loses stuff too often in my experience for something so critical.)

2) Two good-quality (name-brand freezer-bag, not dollar store) ziploc-type pint baggies work fine for protecting cameras against rain. The pricy Aloksak plastic bags intended for this use stopped sealing for me in just a few days, so I won't use them ever again.

3) Keep a piece of paper and short pencil (so can't smudge if gets wet) with camera that's currently in use. Make a comment (1 word to one sentence) after each pic to ID the pic.

4) Get cameras developed "while-U-wait" to reduce odds of them getting lost by development place, despite higher price. (China-Mart lost two of my cameras in 2006.)

5) Continue to have a second camera, used for duplicate shots, for critical pics (day on Katahdin, say).

6) Not all brands are equal. I found Kodak's to be better than Fuji, say. Plus, ones intended for outdoor use seemed to give sharper pics than general-use ones.

7) I will continue to use a taped-to-an-upper-chest-packstrap camera holder. I fell plenty of times on the AT last time, but never once crushed my camera. :)

mudhead
07-25-2008, 12:56
You have a good hike.

minnesotasmith
07-25-2008, 12:59
I just started to use a digital. Way cool. As usual, I am late to the party.

Those little cards are great!

I am taking a shot of my foot at the start and end of a "run," at a recognizable location to help with the ID process.

I think you might like one. But I may be wrong.

A family member gave me one before my 2006 hike. The instruction manual was 2" thick! I had other things to do with my time, so never learned how to use the thing in time. I ended up letting them keep it. :o

mudhead
07-25-2008, 13:12
You have a good hike.

minnesotasmith
07-25-2008, 14:29
(You should consider self-editing that trustfund crack. True or not, you are messing with the guys chances. Just wish him luck. My opinion.)

I made a serious post, telling the guy the only reliable route IMO for getting what he wants.

The Solemates
07-25-2008, 15:18
I made a serious post, telling the guy the only reliable route IMO for getting what he wants.

yep, as it was put to me, "welcome to the new whiteblaze":eek:

mweinstone
07-27-2008, 08:40
if all goes really extra special well,...i might be able to hike in 09. it would mean nothing short of becomeing the worlds most famous rich artist overnight. something on the lines of,...the curator for new acquasitions of the metropolitan museum of art calling to say she loves my art and wants a date. or,....opraha called and wants a few dozen pictures. i will endevor to do what is required for such a trick. if i start feb 18th , we should meet around franklin or sooner. i would like to show you my new steak and bacon and pancakes rig. i cook cakes each morn in a 15$ msr teflon frypan. no iol. complete batter. mix in ziplock. flips cleanly with foon or fingers. impresses the femeninas.

minnesotasmith
07-27-2008, 08:47
if all goes really extra special well,...i might be able to hike in 09. it would mean nothing short of becomeing the worlds most famous rich artist overnight. something on the lines of,...the curator for new acquasitions of the metropolitan museum of art calling to say she loves my art and wants a date. or,....opraha called and wants a few dozen pictures. i will endevor to do what is required for such a trick. if i start feb 18th , we should meet around franklin or sooner. i would like to show you my new steak and bacon and pancakes rig. i cook cakes each morn in a 15$ msr teflon frypan. no iol. complete batter. mix in ziplock. flips cleanly with foon or fingers. impresses the femeninas.

I'd like to see your new cook setup. It will be keen to hike with you again, as well. Maybe SteveM, Mother's Finest, and Darwin Again can join us at certain points?

How has water supply been this summer? After July '06 in E. PA/NY/NJ, I half expect to see cacti and camel caravans on that section of Trail next time. ;)

As far as Okra Winfrey goes, I have a GREAT joke at her expense I'll have to PM you when I have time. (The rig's drilling again, so it's a busier day than it's been lately.)

Any other new gear ideas you've figured out yourself, or seen someone with? Any neat new trail foods? (I'm going to have to try your biscuit and gravy mix idea a few times.)

More later. Good to hear from you, guy.

And, thanks for the good wishes, mudhead.

Panzer1
07-27-2008, 22:54
I figured out what I think are some improvements on making photographic records of hiking the Trail, even while still using disposable cameras.

I have been using the Olympus Stylus 1200.
Digital, weatherproof, up to 12 mega pixels, 4.4 ounces, 2 gigabyte memory card, 5x zoom

No need to mail pictures home. 2 gigabyte card will hold enough pictures for your entire trip.

Panzer

RITBlake
07-28-2008, 12:44

First step would be to stop using disposable camera at all costs.

After you add in the cost of disposable cameras and developing film, a digital camera is cheaper, takes 100x better photos, just as reliable, and lighter.

mister krabs
07-28-2008, 13:48
Is a place I can order certain groceries in bulk.

Much of this stuff can be ordered from Amazon, after looking for a few minutes, at least the bread you're looking for, the peanut butter and the foil packed fish. It may not be too heavily discounted, but at least the shipping will be free!

daylaandjasper
07-28-2008, 14:07
Dayla and Jasper
NOBO
starting second week of March

Hi I'm Dayla and I hiked in 2001 with the trail name Doodlebug- I may or may not get a new trail name- we'll see. I got a new last name and my husband Jasper is hiking with me. I have also been thinking of things I would like to do differently - I'll post some more on that later. Someone had asked advice about being nervous.

Start slow- don't try to go out and do big miles- don't try to keep up with other people- so cliche'ed but Hike Your Own hike.

I would advise anyone to start in March- early March if you can- that way you have plenty of time. When I hiked in 2001- i started march 15 and this time I plan to start a few days earlier.

get your pack weight down- but so far down you don't have the gear you need- ie warm clothes if you are starting early.

Not that I've ever done it- but getting in shape before the trail def helps. I tend to do that get-in-shape on the trail method. start slow. I've also hiked about half the PCT in sections- one of the sections being an attempted thru in 2005. The PCT is great- but I don't like the mileage pressure. I like to goof off. I plan to hike the AT in 6 months like I did the first time. I took 27 zeros. I'll probably take more this time.

7 monthes!

max patch
07-28-2008, 14:51
April 15ish.

The earlier you start, the earlier you finish. You want to make sure you get to experience hiking in New England in the fall.

Seems a shame to my way of thinking to start, say, Feb 1 and have to put up with cold weather and the potential of deep snow in the GSMNP with the "reward" of finishing up in the middle of summer and missing the fall colors.

minnesotasmith
07-28-2008, 15:25
Dayla and Jasper
NOBO
starting second week of March

Hi I'm Dayla and I hiked in 2001 with the trail name Doodlebug- I may or may not get a new trail name- we'll see. I got a new last name and my husband Jasper is hiking with me. I have also been thinking of things I would like to do differently - I'll post some more on that later. Someone had asked advice about being nervous.

Start slow- don't try to go out and do big miles- don't try to keep up with other people- so cliche'ed but Hike Your Own hike.

I would advise anyone to start in March- early March if you can- that way you have plenty of time. When I hiked in 2001- i started march 15 and this time I plan to start a few days earlier.

get your pack weight down- but so far down you don't have the gear you need- ie warm clothes if you are starting early.

Not that I've ever done it- but getting in shape before the trail def helps. I tend to do that get-in-shape on the trail method. start slow. I've also hiked about half the PCT in sections- one of the sections being an attempted thru in 2005. The PCT is great- but I don't like the mileage pressure. I like to goof off. I plan to hike the AT in 6 months like I did the first time. I took 27 zeros. I'll probably take more this time.

7 monthes!

1) Am leaving plenty early. Am starting the Alabama Pinhoti in mid- late December 2008. Expect to hit Amicalola by early (2nd-7th?) Feb. 2009 latest.

2) Going by my first thruhike (9 months, 6 days), no one has to tell me to go slow enough. Plan is to go faster this time. Doing Pinhoti immediately before as warmup first, better shape before Pinhoti than when hit Amicalola last time, hiking till pooped/dark much of time (so will only use shelters half time or less), spending fewer nights in hostels (hit town, resupply, get out, even if only hike a mile or two and tent) -- all these should speed me up IMO.

3) Am bringing plenty warm clothing/gear (hopefully not too much). Current likely-to-bring winter list includes:

2 Patagonia thin thermal underwear tops
2 Patagonia thin thermal underwear bottoms
1 Puffball jacket or equivalent (used PB last time and loved it; can't find current source to buy replacement one)
1 thin knit cap
1 fleece balaclava for sleeping
1 pair mid-weight Outdoor Research synthetic fleece gloves
3 pair heavyweight Bridgedale socks
2 Granite Gear thin T-shirts
1 Waterproof nylon rain hat (similiar to one used last time)
1 Marmot rain jacket
1 pair Sealskin impermeable (Neoprene-lined) socks
1 pair (at a time) Dunham trail runners (just up from running shoes)
1 pair regular hiking gloves
2 bandannas (blaze orange, so double-duty)
2 pair thin nylon shortsn (if one rips up, very nice to have spare...)
2 pair hiker underwear (like bike shorts, but not so long)

1 20-degree synthetic nonmummy Big Agnes bag (need room for footwear/waterbottles on sub-25 degree nights)
1 sleeping bag liner that adds 10-15 degrees to bag rating
1 Henry Shires tarptent
1 Tyvek groundcloth just bigger than tent footprint (not putting it in a clothes dryer at all this time)

Considering (all at GA relative's house if I need them when I get near end of Pinhoti; i.e, if GA mtns in 2' snow)

1 pair sleep booties
1 more knit cap
1 pair ultrathin nylon dress socks
1 pair ski gloves (got P.O.ed at hands freezing all day, bought and used a pair last time when Vermont got Thanksgiving+ winter weather a month early, when I was SOBOing there towards Kent)
3rd pair thermal bottoms (bought and used A/A)
1 pair wire cross crampons (tiny, like under 4 oz. apiece)
=======================================
Summer list on next post...

The Solemates
07-28-2008, 17:30
1) Am leaving plenty early. Am starting the Alabama Pinhoti in mid- late December 2008. Expect to hit Amicalola by early (2nd-7th?) Feb. 2009 latest.

2) Going by my first thruhike (9 months, 6 days), no one has to tell me to go slow enough. Plan is to go faster this time. Doing Pinhoti immediately before as warmup first, better shape before Pinhoti than when hit Amicalola last time, hiking till pooped/dark much of time (so will only use shelters half time or less), spending fewer nights in hostels (hit town, resupply, get out, even if only hike a mile or two and tent) -- all these should speed me up IMO.

3) Am bringing plenty warm clothing/gear (hopefully not too much). Current likely-to-bring winter list includes:

2 Patagonia thin thermal underwear tops
2 Patagonia thin thermal underwear bottoms
1 Puffball jacket or equivalent (used PB last time and loved it; can't find current source to buy replacement one)
1 thin knit cap
1 fleece balaclava for sleeping
1 pair mid-weight Outdoor Research synthetic fleece gloves
3 pair heavyweight Bridgedale socks
2 Granite Gear thin T-shirts
1 Waterproof nylon rain hat (similiar to one used last time)
1 Marmot rain jacket
1 pair Sealskin impermeable (Neoprene-lined) socks
1 pair (at a time) Dunham trail runners (just up from running shoes)
1 pair regular hiking gloves
2 bandannas (blaze orange, so double-duty)
2 pair thin nylon shortsn (if one rips up, very nice to have spare...)
2 pair hiker underwear (like bike shorts, but not so long)

1 20-degree synthetic nonmummy Big Agnes bag (need room for footwear/waterbottles on sub-25 degree nights)
1 sleeping bag liner that adds 10-15 degrees to bag rating
1 Henry Shires tarptent
1 Tyvek groundcloth just bigger than tent footprint (not putting it in a clothes dryer at all this time)

Considering (all at GA relative's house if I need them when I get near end of Pinhoti; i.e, if GA mtns in 2' snow)

1 pair sleep booties
1 more knit cap
1 pair ultrathin nylon dress socks
1 pair ski gloves (got P.O.ed at hands freezing all day, bought and used a pair last time when Vermont got Thanksgiving+ winter weather a month early, when I was SOBOing there towards Kent)
3rd pair thermal bottoms (bought and used A/A)
1 pair wire cross crampons (tiny, like under 4 oz. apiece)
=======================================
Summer list on next post...

again, i thought you said you were going lightweight this time...:):eek::-?

minnesotasmith
07-28-2008, 17:55
again, i thought you said you were going lightweight this time...:):eek::-?

North of Mt. Rogers (latest), I'll be down to this WRT clothing/sleep gear listed above:

tent
sleeping bag liner (about a 50 degree equivalent)
groundcloth

1 rain jacket
1 hat
1 windbreaker
1 pr. hiking gloves
1 pr. shorts
1-2 T-shirt(s)
3 pr. socks
1 pr. shoes
1-2 pr. short underwear
ONE thermal top
ONE knit cap

1 pr. Sealskins?

saimyoji
07-28-2008, 18:06
no toothbrush? :eek:
no razor? :eek:

:D

you'd be proud of me MS....i shaved my beard today...1st time in 10 yrs.

Mother's Finest
07-28-2008, 18:07
Well, Fish jerky sounds a little crazy for me, but you never know.

I am sure I have eaten worse before.

This is unlikely to come true, but I am going to post this on your thread Mr. Smith. I hope you do not mind.
Apologies to Matty for not telling him this on the phone.
I am making a change. I have decided to sell the business and go back to school to pursue my PsyD.
Should things occur in the proper order, 2009 will be a time to hike.
I am not planning my transition around the hike, my business and future educational opportunities will dictate my future. But I am a heck of alot closer than I was two weeks ago.
I already have full buy in from my wife that I will be attempting a thru. She is the most important one.

thanks Smith.

peace
mf

minnesotasmith
07-28-2008, 18:13

This is unlikely to come true, but I am going to post this on your thread Mr. Smith. I hope you do not mind.
I am making a change. I have decided to sell the business and go back to school to pursue my PsyD.
I am not planning my transition around the hike, my business and future educational opportunities will dictate my future. But I am a heck of alot closer than I was two weeks ago.
I already have full buy in from my wife that I will be attempting a thru. She is the most important one.

thanks Smith.

peace
mf

Hope to see you on the Trail.

P.S. Hope you do a financial analysis on the doctorate (including opportunity costs) b4 taking any difficult-to-reverse steps. Most Ph.D.s are financially disastrous choices now, with the near-end of newly awarded tenured positions. There are plenty of Geology Ph.D.s that teach classes for half or less of what I make with a Master's, for example.

P.P.S.: If you like hamburgers, beef jerky, and fish sticks, fish jerky isn't much of a stretch.

minnesotasmith
07-28-2008, 18:15
no toothbrush? :eek:
no razor? :eek:

:D

you'd be proud of me MS....i shaved my beard today...1st time in 10 yrs.

It just wasn't on the bedding/shelter gear list, anymore than TP, water containers/treatment gear, etc.

I put a dispo razor in each of my maildrops, BTW.

You shaved? An apostate, now? Or just need a better job? :D

Mother's Finest
07-28-2008, 18:31
Hope to see you on the Trail.

P.S. Hope you do a financial analysis on the doctorate (including opportunity costs) b4 taking any difficult-to-reverse steps. Most Ph.D.s are financially disastrous choices now, with the near-end of newly awarded tenured positions. There are plenty of Geology Ph.D.s that teach classes for half or less of what I make with a Master's, for example.

P.P.S.: If you like hamburgers, beef jerky, and fish sticks, fish jerky isn't much of a stretch.

It isn't about the money for me brother. Anything that I have to pay for will be covered out of pocket.

I also do not want to teach. I want to practice.

I could practice and be licensed in some states with a Masters.

But I appreciate your advice. One of the programs I am exploring will run me thru a Masters program then into the PsyD program, so I have options.

That would be pretty nice to see you on the trail next year.

peace
mf

saimyoji
07-28-2008, 18:51
You shaved? An apostate, now? Or just need a better job? :D

Got my current job with my beard. :cool:

Just felt like a change. Other things are changing in my life, thought it would be interesting to do. Gotta say, I didn't recognize myself.

ed bell
07-28-2008, 20:04
Got my current job with my beard. :cool:

Just felt like a change. Other things are changing in my life, thought it would be interesting to do. Gotta say, I didn't recognize myself.I changed jobs after 15 years in the outdoor world, scored an upgrade with a simple tidy up on my beard. My personality must have negated my beard.:rolleyes:;)

rafe
07-28-2008, 22:10

Many moons ago when I lived in Oregon, I took a drive down the coastal route... there were these roadside stands that sold, among other things, dried salmon. No refrigeration needed -- it was just wrapped in cellophane. It was delicious. I wish I knew where to buy the stuff.

If you look around, you can find "lox" (smoked salmon) vacuum-packed in foil. I've seen it at Trader Joes. I've taken that on one or two hikes. Of course, once you open the packet you need to consume it within a day or so.

mweinstone
07-29-2008, 07:01
mothers finest you dont have to go to no stinkin school. you can learn everything you need alone. by listening and watching . with my 9th grade education i have mastered many things. i am a true renasaunce man. a badly spelling one, but one none the less. and ms get off the other trail warm up crap and leave that list of trash behind. start feb at springer with a 15 lb base weight. walk like the masters and free yourself of these petty needs. and mothers finest will you please be real. sell the bizz, go hikeing, and retire with your wife early to run a hostle. their you can exsplore the very pits of the kernalls of hiker mentality. youll have all the fun without the bull. going to school is out. the worlds ending. no time for stupid multi year school endevors. only time for a stabbingly quick short version of life. we must all live totally free soon . to the trail brothers and sisters.

boarstone
07-29-2008, 08:18
Of course, keeping The Thread Redux
going once I actually start hiking will be primarily dependent upon other people. I don't yet have someone lined up to post pics or phoned-in information, either.

I'm now focusing on:

If it would help, I do drops at Cooper Brook/Jo_Mary rd. crossing in the "100 miler". I can be reached via e-mail here by PM or [email protected]. Maybe the AT lodge in Millinocket can drop you a package if you mail them one, give them a call...207-723-4321 or write them at At trail lodge 33 Penobscot Ave. Millinocket Maine 04462, and see if you can work a drop from them at Abol.

minnesotasmith
07-29-2008, 08:59
mothers finest you dont have to go to no stinkin school. you can learn everything you need alone. by listening and watching . with my 9th grade education i have mastered many things. i am a true renasaunce man. a badly spelling one, but one none the less. and ms get off the other trail warm up crap and leave that list of trash behind. start feb at springer with a 15 lb base weight. walk like the masters and free yourself of these petty needs. and mothers finest will you please be real. sell the bizz, go hikeing, and retire with your wife early to run a hostle. their you can exsplore the very pits of the kernalls of hiker mentality. youll have all the fun without the bull. going to school is out. the worlds ending. no time for stupid multi year school endevors. only time for a stabbingly quick short version of life. we must all live totally free soon . to the trail brothers and sisters.

1) I agree, our mutual friend Mother's Finest (whom we wish only the best for) would likely find better investments than a mid-life Ph.D, if he'd look a bit. (I suggest pawn shops, car repossession, getting into the business of selling vehicles that get over 50 mph like the $5000 new Chinese pickup truck I saw on E-Bay recently, gold, security at troubled banks & nonferrous metal dealers, international relocation for Federal Reserve employees, or anything having to do with housing foreclosures, myself.)

2) Why do you think I should go out in winter with a 15 pound base load? I'm not going to carry 70 pounds this time, true, but everything in my top list I used last time, when I started later. It gets fricking COLD in February on the AT.

3) Most of all, why skip the Pinhoti? I figure it will let us hit the ground running at Amicalola, with the sub-8 mile days all behind us in our hike.

minnesotasmith
07-29-2008, 12:38
If it would help, I do drops at Cooper Brook/Jo_Mary rd. crossing in the "100 miler". I can be reached via e-mail here by PM or [email protected]. Maybe the AT lodge in Millinocket can drop you a package if you mail them one, give them a call...207-723-4321 or write them at At trail lodge 33 Penobscot Ave. Millinocket Maine 04462, and see if you can work a drop from them at Abol.

I will be e-mailing you shortly about this. Thank you.

Panzer1
07-29-2008, 14:54

thanks Smith.

peace
mf

Good Luck on your new endeavor Mothers Finest. A lot must have changed since I saw you 2 weeks ago. I can't believe that your wife is letting you go:):):) for 6 months. Maybe you can hike with Mathewski and MS next year and help keep them out of trouble.:D

Panzer

Zzzzdyd
07-30-2008, 04:15
First let me thank you for your help over the past few years. Although I haven't completed my thru hike yet, 4 attempts and counting. Folks like you on this site and others have helped so much.

A few notes for what it's worth: Camera- Stick with your disposable.

Digitals work great until they get WET ! and it doesn't take direct water to screw them up. Heavy fog will do it. I know this for a fact ! Outdoor Kodak is good. I am a photographer with lots of nice cameras. If I am outside for more than 2 or 3 days in a row, I use a disposable for personal stuff. Cost is nominal, less worry, and plenty good for documentation and snaps. Digitals are to delicate IMO.

Pack weight and clothing. Look for unnesessary redundancies.
The rule of thumb I was given on my second attempt in 2001 by a muti-thru hiker was. One outfit on, and one DRY one to wear that night.
This being said I like starting in early March so I always have two head covers. A balaclava and a go-lite ball hat for my chrome dome.
Also I am considering going with a 40 degree bag and making up with the Flight jacket and another layer of clothes available as I have found layers work better for me when it comes to keeping warm. Three layers total for bottom, four for top counting rain jacket.

Have no knowledge of the Powderpuff jacket other than what I have read and heard. I like my Western Mountaineering Flight Jacket, but if I had to do it over I would get the vest. Pricey, but worth every penny.

Wouldn't part with my 1.5 liter titanium pot. My oldest son got me the matching spoon as a present so I use it least he be miffed. But was happy with the fancy lexan.

I also have the A16 Bug Bivy, but wonder about the full length version with out something between your skin and it ? I am thinking skeeters can still get you where the net touches you .

I have made many changes since my first attempt back in 1998.

As you know better than I, I had to figure out what "I" felt good, comfortable, and safe with. So I incorporated my military jungle bobby bad butt stuff, boy scouts, AT hikers I met here and there, canoing experience, any and all outside endeavors and got real honest about what worked for me and what didn't. Reading post by folks like you has also helped bunches !

Smartwool has taken the place of go-lite for colder temps as it offers better warmth even when wet than any synthetic I have tried. I use the go-lite as my in the bag(hopefully dry) days end wear. I spent boo coo bucks on the stuff and must get some use out of it.

Now using a Six Moons Tarp-Tent. I had to resew the tie outs, but its a great shelter. Must be set up correctly though for proper ventilation.

Like you I found the correct footwear for "ME", I do not care what anyone else thinks about it, or what they wear ! Long story--- painful lesson.

Have you considered Esbits or canister stove ? As both are shippable.
But I guess alcohol is easy to find these days.

If I may ask, why the hiking 'staff' and not hiking poles ?
I have a nice hand made staff, but thinking I might borrow my sons titanium Lekies because of my wore out knees. Would, or do, some folks look down on someone if they use hiking sticks ? Just curious.

OR Gore-tex mitts keep my hands warm and dry. Held up to lots of shorties the past several years. Also had good service from my Black Diamond small headband light. Tried a couple of those coin battery lights and didn't like them when I really needed some light, but they sure are light weight.

I use both dated but serviceable packs. A old Go-lite Breeze is still going strong as well as a ULA I got from Winton some years back at Mountain Crossings. Really like the freedom of no hip belt on the Breeze, but one must watch that pack weight close !

Mac and cheese man here, but hope to learn more as I hike. Will need to bump box my meds probably, but avoiding mail drops. Have you tired those Strawberry Jam packs one can get at Micky D's ? I love em !! I think the shelf life is like forever. I just have my family and friends ask for, and get them for me. Work well on a WW pita I like.

Screwed up my supraspinatus in my left shoulder Feb before last and looking so so as of now for one more attempt this coming March.

All the best to you and your lady on your hike. I will look forward to seeing more of your post and picking your feeble brain about these magical blazes, etc. to see. As I don't see me ever doing more than one thru, if that ...lol

If I can accept that I can't hike the whole trail in a week or two I will make it this time if I rehab this shoulder as prescribed.

I will post my gear list when I sort it out, and will look forward to your critique.

Got your emergency whistle around your neck don't ya ? :>)

lazy~~~~~~~daze

mweinstone
07-30-2008, 06:33
mothers finest wont be hikeing with anyone. hes doing an "upper middys flip sorte with a stopover in the dulldrums." he wants to start in pa and walk south then come to pa and walk north. to be alone. wow. im definatly gonna have to think about our future relationship mom. i dont hang with people who seperate oreos and eat the middle first. what a silly hike. your dumb for doing it. you should do what i do in every hikeing related matter. matter of fact, you all should be doing exactly what i do. factor of mat.

mweinstone
07-30-2008, 06:36
and to ms,....hikeing other trails when your married to the at, is wrong and should be shunned. you sir, may well deserve shunning even now for suggesting it. also, were not such studs that we can just tack on hundreds of miles to a thru of the at without risking being exsausted before the end. if you want to get high mileage from each tank of macs and cheese,.....you slow down and drive conservatively and avoid short unnessesary trips down trails matthewski never hikes.

minnesotasmith
07-30-2008, 08:56
First let me thank you for your help over the past few years. Although I haven't completed my thru hike yet, 4 attempts and counting. Folks like you on this site and others have helped so much.

I've been given (by the members here) far more than I've given back so far, I believe, though I try to contribute how and as I can.

A few notes for what it's worth: Camera- Stick with your disposable.

Digitals work great until they get WET ! and it doesn't take direct water to screw them up. Heavy fog will do it. I know this for a fact ! Outdoor Kodak is good. I am a photographer with lots of nice cameras. If I am outside for more than 2 or 3 days in a row, I use a disposable for personal stuff. Cost is nominal, less worry, and plenty good for documentation and snaps. Digitals are to[o] delicate IMO.

Agreed. If I get a dispo wet, I lose 4-6 bucks and a max of 27 pictures. A digital, 3 digits of $$$, plus God knows how many precious pics. Plus, I fall too often while hiking to want to risk a pricy digital camera on a thruhike.

Pack weight and clothing. Look for unnesessary redundancies.
The rule of thumb I was given on my second attempt in 2001 by a muti-thru hiker was. One outfit on, and one DRY one to wear that night.

Agreed.

This being said I like starting in early March so I always have two head covers. A balaclava and a go-lite ball hat for my chrome dome.
Also I am considering going with a 40 degree bag and making up with the Flight jacket and another layer of clothes available as I have found layers work better for me when it comes to keeping warm. Three layers total for bottom, four for top counting rain jacket.

I expect to be on the AT by the first week of February at the latest, so IMO have to be ready for a bit colder weather than a March start would give me. The goal is a straight shot to Katahdin, there by Sept. 1 latest, so I want loads of time available.

Have no knowledge of the Powderpuff jacket other than what I have read and heard. I like my Western Mountaineering Flight Jacket, but if I had to do it over I would get the vest. Pricey, but worth every penny.

My Puffball jacket is pretty beaten up, seriously in need of replacement for anything over a week jaunt. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find any for sale online. I am open to suggestions re an equivalent to substitute.

Wouldn't part with my 1.5 liter titanium pot. My oldest son got me the matching spoon as a present so I use it least he be miffed. But was happy with the fancy lexan.

I have been looking for a 1.5 liter titanium pot to buy with no luck so far. Please tell me which dealer sold that to you, so I can give them some business.

I find a single Lexan spoon all I need for cutlery. I only broke one in 9 months on the Trail 2 years ago, and found replacements widely available in outfitters.

I also have the A16 Bug Bivy, but wonder about the full length version with out something between your skin and it ? I am thinking skeeters can still get you where the net touches you .

I am looking at getting a bug bivy that Dances With Mice helpfully sent me a link for. It has internal supports to hold it away from the skin. Its shape is akin to a small, rectangular-solid coffin. I figure it will be cooler and more dependable for my lower body in mid-summer than covering with windbreaker or other garments was. I'll put a link in.

I have made many changes since my first attempt back in 1998.

I'll be making some changes myself this time (2 Ursacks so no food hanging, GoLite Odyssey instead of my Gregory Whitney, Big Agnes bag system, etc.). It's mostly fine points and taking less this time, excepting only if it's REALLY cold. A third pair of bottom thermal underwear and ski gloves are things I wish I'd had by Hanover (going south in late October to Kent to finish up), and if I should need them in NC in February, I'll have them sent to me.

As you know better than I, I had to figure out what "I" felt good, comfortable, and safe with. So I incorporated my military jungle bobby bad butt stuff, boy scouts, AT hikers I met here and there, canoing experience, any and all outside endeavors and got real honest about what worked for me and what didn't. Reading post by folks like you has also helped bunches !

Smartwool has taken the place of go-lite for colder temps as it offers better warmth even when wet than any synthetic I have tried. I use the go-lite as my in the bag(hopefully dry) days end wear. I spent boo coo bucks on the stuff and must get some use out of it.

I still like Bridgedale socks better than Smartwool. Saving a few bucks on socks just isn't worth it to me to rely on a critical gear item that goes next to my skin that IMO was made by a subsidiary of Brillo.

Now using a Six Moons Tarp-Tent. I had to resew the tie outs, but its a great shelter. Must be set up correctly though for proper ventilation.

Yep, staying with a tarptent this time too. I don't know of anyone's tarptent that looks worth throwing over Henry Shires' stuff for.

Like you I found the correct footwear for "ME", I do not care what anyone else thinks about it, or what they wear ! Long story--- painful lesson.

Have you considered Esbits or canister stove ? As both are shippable.
But I guess alcohol is easy to find these days.

Alcohol for stoves is SO easy to find. And, as long as it doesn't get smashed, never fails to work. Those settle it for me. And, while my meal is cooking, I'm treating water, so the extra cooktime for alcohol vs. canister stoves need not be wasted.

If I may ask, why the hiking 'staff' and not hiking poles ?
I have a nice hand made staff, but thinking I might borrow my sons titanium Lekies because of my wore out knees. Would, or do, some folks look down on someone if they use hiking sticks ? Just curious.

Easy enough. My staff is far less likely to break, so I don't have to baby it WRT putting my weight on it when needed. It's got some mass, so is far more useful if I need to knock back some brush or a stray mutt who thinks I should be his lunch. It's longer than any trekking pole I've seen, with longer reach to match, which I find is extremely useful in my experience for boulder fields, steep inclines, or crossing streams over logs. More than once my stave's length let me safely zip across a slick, slippery tree fallen over a stream, when hikers relying upon trekking poles had to go down into the water. I find that since I can switch back and forth between arms holding it, that I usefully can push harder with it than I think I would be able to with 2 poles (or 2 staves, something I've seen), since each arm gets lots of breaks from my staff during the day's hike. This, together with its greater length, IMO saves my knees during hiking more than a pair of trekking poles or 2 shorter staves would.

As far as "getting looked down upon" for having a staff instead of trekking poles... Something handmade rather than purchased is kind of cool IMO, especially if it works as well or better than the bought item. Consider the pride the hikers on the Homemade Gear forum rightly have, after all.
For someone who's environmentally-concerned beyond just personally practicing LNT while hiking, it's better to use something renewable that grows naturally over a product of ore crushers, digesters, and electric furnaces. (Anyone want a quick summary of how aluminum is refined, go here:) http://www.wmrc.uiuc.edu/info/library_docs/manuals/primmetals/chapter4.htm

Then, there's the ultimate comeback for "but that looks STOOPID". It's "if it looks stupid, but it works, it's not stupid.". Also known as "odd-looking but finished the AT trumps stylish and didn't". I'm a Choice "A" guy myself. ;)

OR Gore-tex mitts keep my hands warm and dry. Held up to lots of shorties the past several years. Also had good service from my Black Diamond small headband light. Tried a couple of those coin battery lights and didn't like them when I really needed some light, but they sure are light weight.

I'm happy with my $13 Wal-Mart headlamps that use AAA batteries (yes, I take 2 headlamps along at a time). I don't like the greater expense and harder time finding watch/coin batteries. It's just critical IMO to make sure the power switch is the type that must be pressed to activate, not flipped back and forth to power on & off, as the latter comes on unintentionally too often, wearing out batteries.

I use both dated but serviceable packs. A old Go-lite Breeze is still going strong as well as a ULA I got from Winton some years back at Mountain Crossings. Really like the freedom of no hip belt on the Breeze, but one must watch that pack weight close !

I like hip belts. Their keeping my pack from shifting IMO reduces wasted effort, but most importantly helps me keep balance in dicey footing.

Mac and cheese man here, but hope to learn more as I hike. Will need to bump box my meds probably, but avoiding mail drops. Have you tired those Strawberry Jam packs one can get at Micky D's ? I love em !! I think the shelf life is like forever. I just have my family and friends ask for, and get them for me. Work well on a WW pita I like.

I'm glad to hear you using whole-wheat pita bread. Nothing says you can't have WW mac & cheese if you want. There are many other practical improvements to trail diet possible. I believe that calcium, complete proteins, biological-origin vitamins of the types found in whole grains and dark greens, unsaturated fats, potassium relative to sodium intake, and fiber are all commonly deficient in hiker's diets. You may wish to consider bringing fish oil capsules, wheat germ to sprinkle in cooked entrees or cold cereal, and calcium supplements.

Mail drops are an easy way to resupply on better food, and are if anything often more convenient than town resupplying if you do them right (send to hostels, especially isolated ones not within walking distance of stores). Stick in nonfood consumables such as TP, wet wipes, a dispo razor, a motel bar of soap, 1-2 washes worth of laundry detergent, camp soap, a few paper towels, a contractor bag for pack lining, headlamp batteries, ziploc bags (I put a whole box in each of my drops), etc., plus a couple noncook meals to eat at the hostel (canned foods okay for this), and you can be packing your pack and getting to bed early, while other hikers at the hostel are thumbing rides back and forth.

Screwed up my supraspinatus in my left shoulder Feb before last and looking so so as of now for one more attempt this coming March.

All the best to you and your lady on your hike. I will look forward to seeing more of your post and picking your feeble brain about these magical blazes, etc. to see. As I don't see me ever doing more than one thru, if that ...lol

If I can accept that I can't hike the whole trail in a week or two I will make it this time if I rehab this shoulder as prescribed.

I will post my gear list when I sort it out, and will look forward to your critique.

I would be happy to give my $0.02 about your gear list. I figure my opinion will have more gravitas after this next hike than it did before. Adding the Pinhoti isn't the only twist I'm adding to this one... :-?;)

Got your emergency whistle around your neck don't ya ? :>)

I don't carry one. Too heavy. :D

lazy~~~~~~~daze[/quote]

minnesotasmith
07-30-2008, 09:27
and to ms,....hikeing other trails when your married to the at, is wrong and should be shunned. you sir, may well deserve shunning even now for suggesting it. also, were not such studs that we can just tack on hundreds of miles to a thru of the at without risking being exsausted before the end. if you want to get high mileage from each tank of macs and cheese,.....you slow down and drive conservatively and avoid short unnessesary trips down trails matthewski never hikes.

1) Bodies aren't cars, which wear out, and don't heal. Done right, hiking (including on other trails) strengthens, not weakens, the bodies.

2)Trails aren't wives. It's not betrayal to hike another trail sometimes, rather than the one you most love. (Think of the "Why beer is better than..." humor on this one.)

Kerosene
07-30-2008, 12:57
Digitals work great until they get WET ! and it doesn't take direct water to screw them up. Heavy fog will do it. I know this for a fact ! Outdoor Kodak is good. I am a photographer with lots of nice cameras. If I am outside for more than 2 or 3 days in a row, I use a disposable for personal stuff. Cost is nominal, less worry, and plenty good for documentation and snaps. Digitals are to delicate IMO.I used disposables until I went digital, primarily for weight and optical zoom, as the pictures were typically quite good in all but low-light situations. If I was to purchase a replacement camera I would go with a waterproof digital weighing less than 5 ounces.

Lone Wolf
07-31-2008, 03:35
1) Bodies aren't cars, which wear out, and don't heal. Done right, hiking (including on other trails) strengthens, not weakens, the bodies.

2)Trails aren't wives. It's not betrayal to hike another trail sometimes, rather than the one you most love. (Think of the "Why beer is better than..." humor on this one.)

are you prepared? http://web.archive.org/web/20001027132631/http://www.y2ksafeminnesota.com/

Odd Thomas
07-31-2008, 07:50
Agreed. If I get a dispo wet, I lose 4-6 bucks and a max of 27 pictures. A digital, 3 digits of $$$, plus God knows how many precious pics. Plus, I fall too often while hiking to want to risk a pricy digital camera on a thruhike.

You likely wouldn't lose any pictures if your DC gets wet. There's a recent thread on here somewhere where someone found an SD card dropped by a hiker, that had been left outdoors for years on the ground, and the pictures read just fine. They're digital, so if a single bit had changed, file errors should have happened. (The only SD card I've ever ruined was in the wash, detergent is highly corrosive)

minnesotasmith
08-02-2008, 19:48
I have to have 12 4E, which cuts my options down enormously. I've gone with Dunham Terrastriders trail runners up til now, as they're the only company (thanks to their being bought out by New Balance ~5 years ago) that makes that size.

Well, it turns out that Dunham is being shut down. However, NB is making their own trail runners now. The closest equivalent seems to be the NB 1201, weighing 22 oz. They cost 150 bucks, and as I'll need 5-6 pair for my hike, that kinds of stings. ($90-115 is what the Terras ran in 2005-6.)

Link: http://www.nbwebexpress.com/newbalanceMO1201GT.htm

I'm just going to order 6 pair (as soon as I get home from the rig) and be done with it.

Lone Wolf
08-02-2008, 20:58
but are you prepared. please elaborate http://web.archive.org/web/20001027132631/http://www.y2ksafeminnesota.com/

rickb
08-02-2008, 21:09
Didn't you post that before?

Probably not even from the same guy.

minnesotasmith
08-06-2008, 08:53
Moosejaw and one other obscure place. These are super-handy waistband pouches with straps that attach to nearly any pack. I used one (well, two, once the first one gave out on me after 1600 miles or so) These have a compartment large enough to hold lunch, blister stuff, guidebook, a map, and a headlamp. They also have a 1-Liter water bottle holder (a "dry" rib doesn't have this), removing any need for a hydration system. Unfortunately, they're light enough that they can wear out in normal usage over the course of a thruhike.

I have one good one left from last hike. I need 3 more. Does anyone know where I can buy these? They cost about 20 bucks apiece new.

mister krabs
08-06-2008, 15:00
but are you prepared. please elaborate http://web.archive.org/web/20001027132631/http://www.y2ksafeminnesota.com/

Ha! The web never forgets :sun
/goes looking for that pre-marriage geocities page.

minnesotasmith
08-08-2008, 09:31
I'll let you guys know how this turns out.

=================================================

To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: Knorr Sides question
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 09:15:10 -0400

Hello. I could not originally give my message to you because your system's text box would not accept more than a sentence from me, and I could not find a working e-mail address on your website. Thank you for writing me back with an e-mail address.

Here's my story: I thruhiked (hiked the whole thing at one go) the Appalachian Trail in 2006. That's 2174.6 miles over 14 states, from Georgia to Maine. Map: http://www.monmouth.com/~johno/A%20Large%20Detailed%20Map%20of%20the%20Appalachia n%20Trail.htm It took me 9 months and 6 days, walking approximately 5 million steps, taking from Feb. 14 to Nov. 20th. (I got taken impromptu into stranger's houses overnight over 7 times, saw over 10 bears in the wild, forded dozens of streams, climbed a total of 492,000', which is comparable to going from sea level to the top of Mt. Everest and back 17 times, fell down dramatically more times than I wish to admit, etc., etc.) For some reason, following my hike became something of a fad in the hiking community. The thread on the hiking forum (www.whiteblaze.net (http://www.whiteblaze.net/)) where people kept track of it ("MinnesotaSmith Update", from my trail name of MinnesotaSmith) received over a quarter of a million hits. I suspect this was in part because I began the hike seriously overweight, far more so than most thruhikers (especially more so than ones who managed to finish -- over 75% of aspiring thruhikers do not, and the bulk of those are fit under-age-30 types) and lost easily 60 pounds over its course.

I relied heavily upon your Whole-Grain Sides for meals during my hike. I unfortunately occasionally had a hard time finding them in sufficient quantity along the way.

Well, in December of this year (2009), I'm hiking the whole AT again. I'm first doing the Pinhoti Trail, which starts in central Alabama, and which will add 280 miles to my trek. Maps: http://picasaweb.google.com/Johnsonc80/AlabamaPinhotiMaps/photo#5045695235639744418 (http://picasaweb.google.com/Johnsonc80/AlabamaPinhotiMaps/photo/l5045695235639744418) and http://picasaweb.google.com/Johnsonc80/GeorgiaPinhotiMaps/photo#5045692001529370498 (http://picasaweb.google.com/Johnsonc80/GeorgiaPinhotiMaps/photo/l5045692001529370498) . I am also planning on being accompanied by my fiance. (I'm 47, she's 39.)

After this one, I'm definitely completing my unfinished book on hiking.

I am writing you because I'd like to order your Whole-Grain Sides in bulk in advance of my upcoming hike to use them again, and have not yet found a wholesaler who can help me. I need at least 250 of them (primarily the Chicken Broccoli and the Alfredo ones). Can you help me out here? Please tell me you like the idea of a lot of people along the way seeing someone moderately well-known in the hiking community relying, night after night, upon your products.

Yours,
L. Smith

> Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 17:46:11 -0400
> From: [email protected]
> Subject: RE: Knorr email
>
> Hi L.,
>
> Thanks so much for writing!
>
> We received your email but there was no message in it. Please resend it with your request.
>
> Thanks for your interest!
> Your friends at Knorr
>
> [THREAD ID:1-6V82KG]

John B
08-08-2008, 10:22
I'll let you guys know how this turns out.

=================================================

To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: Knorr Sides question
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 09:15:10 -0400

Hello. I could not originally give my message to you because your system's text box would not accept more than a sentence from me, and I could not find a working e-mail address on your website. Thank you for writing me back with an e-mail address.

Here's my story: I thruhiked (hiked the whole thing at one go) the Appalachian Trail in 2006. That's 2174.6 miles over 14 states, from Georgia to Maine. Map: http://www.monmouth.com/~johno/A%20Large%20Detailed%20Map%20of%20the%20Appalachia n%20Trail.htm It took me 9 months and 6 days, walking approximately 5 million steps, taking from Feb. 14 to Nov. 20th. (I got taken impromptu into stranger's houses overnight over 7 times, saw over 10 bears in the wild, forded dozens of streams, climbed a total of 492,000', which is comparable to going from sea level to the top of Mt. Everest and back 17 times, fell down dramatically more times than I wish to admit, etc., etc.) For some reason, following my hike became something of a fad in the hiking community. The thread on the hiking forum (www.whiteblaze.net (http://www.whiteblaze.net/)) where people kept track of it ("MinnesotaSmith Update", from my trail name of MinnesotaSmith) received over a quarter of a million hits. I suspect this was in part because I began the hike seriously overweight, far more so than most thruhikers (especially more so than ones who managed to finish -- over 75% of aspiring thruhikers do not, and the bulk of those are fit under-age-30 types) and lost easily 60 pounds over its course.

I relied heavily upon your Whole-Grain Sides for meals during my hike. I unfortunately occasionally had a hard time finding them in sufficient quantity along the way.

Well, in December of this year (2009), I'm hiking the whole AT again. I'm first doing the Pinhoti Trail, which starts in central Alabama, and which will add 280 miles to my trek. Maps: http://picasaweb.google.com/Johnsonc80/AlabamaPinhotiMaps/photo#5045695235639744418 (http://picasaweb.google.com/Johnsonc80/AlabamaPinhotiMaps/photo/l5045695235639744418) and http://picasaweb.google.com/Johnsonc80/GeorgiaPinhotiMaps/photo#5045692001529370498 (http://picasaweb.google.com/Johnsonc80/GeorgiaPinhotiMaps/photo/l5045692001529370498) . I am also planning on being accompanied by my fiance. (I'm 47, she's 39.)

After this one, I'm definitely completing my unfinished book on hiking.

I am writing you because I'd like to order your Whole-Grain Sides in bulk in advance of my upcoming hike to use them again, and have not yet found a wholesaler who can help me. I need at least 250 of them (primarily the Chicken Broccoli and the Alfredo ones). Can you help me out here? Please tell me you like the idea of a lot of people along the way seeing someone moderately well-known in the hiking community relying, night after night, upon your products.

Yours,
L. Smith

> Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 17:46:11 -0400
> From: [email protected]
> Subject: RE: Knorr email
>
> Hi L.,
>
> Thanks so much for writing!
>
> We received your email but there was no message in it. Please resend it with your request.
>
> Thanks for your interest!
> Your friends at Knorr
>
> [THREAD ID:1-6V82KG]

Dear Abby,

I need your advice. I’m getting married again just as soon as I get divorced. My live-in has AIDS, a felony arrest record, and at least 4 illegitmate kids, each by a different baby daddy, but that’s OK because she makes good money selling crack and doing porno videos and the kids are so ugly freakish that they will have a future in the carnival. I’m on the way up, too – I learned some valuable job skills in prison and look forward to submitting my resume to various banks and other financial institutions. Even if they don’t hire me as a vice president, I hope to figure out lots of ways to skim money and other liquid assets so I can afford to buy some much needed plastic surgery and a Trans Camero. I’m also converting to Morman so that I can have lots of wives, dozens of kids, and really make out well by getting state assistance for all of them. My question is, should I rent or buy a tuxedo?

The Solemates
08-08-2008, 12:06
Dear Abby,

I need your advice. I’m getting married again just as soon as I get divorced. My live-in has AIDS, a felony arrest record, and at least 4 illegitmate kids, each by a different baby daddy, but that’s OK because she makes good money selling crack and doing porno videos and the kids are so ugly freakish that they will have a future in the carnival. I’m on the way up, too – I learned some valuable job skills in prison and look forward to submitting my resume to various banks and other financial institutions. Even if they don’t hire me as a vice president, I hope to figure out lots of ways to skim money and other liquid assets so I can afford to buy some much needed plastic surgery and a Trans Camero. I’m also converting to Morman so that I can have lots of wives, dozens of kids, and really make out well by getting state assistance for all of them. My question is, should I rent or buy a tuxedo?

definitely buy....you'll obviously need it again...when your step-kids marry your sister...

the goat
08-08-2008, 12:50
dear Abby,

i Need Your Advice. I’m Getting Married Again Just As Soon As I Get Divorced. My Live-in Has Aids, A Felony Arrest Record, And At Least 4 Illegitmate Kids, Each By A Different Baby Daddy, But That’s Ok Because She Makes Good Money Selling Crack And Doing Porno Videos And The Kids Are So Ugly Freakish That They Will Have A Future In The Carnival. I’m On The Way Up, Too – I Learned Some Valuable Job Skills In Prison And Look Forward To Submitting My Resume To Various Banks And Other Financial Institutions. Even If They Don’t Hire Me As A Vice President, I Hope To Figure Out Lots Of Ways To Skim Money And Other Liquid Assets So I Can Afford To Buy Some Much Needed Plastic Surgery And A Trans Camero. I’m Also Converting To Morman So That I Can Have Lots Of Wives, Dozens Of Kids, And Really Make Out Well By Getting State Assistance For All Of Them. My Question Is, Should I Rent Or Buy A Tuxedo?
now that's funny!:D

mweinstone
08-08-2008, 13:23
i dont get it. but then i seldom have ever. if your saying luke is long winded in his asking. i disagree. his cool ass letter is prolly gonna get those meals free. luke, i live on top of langs fruit and produce store. hes my friend and landlord. he lends me his wholesaler card and i ride my bike 10 bloks to jetro, the cash and carry for the entire city. they have pallets of the crap. its at the legal wholesale price. if you have a connection like this, maby you can go to the central wholesaler in your area. i would be glad to go with you here in philly if that ever became conveinient. and i was thinking i wish i could put together an academicly enhanced letter like that,...i would. my mind works another way. between me and minnesota, the world spins. you might call us, bookends of psycology. ms being the end result of over unity normalizing and me being the stretched out version of man with weirdness added to the point of useless dillution. meaning, my smarts cant easily be applyed cause i cant spell them well enough to get my point across. my tricks are suited for atr and so i have a place. but minnesota smiths abilitys can be used universaly to unlock many doors i cannot. the one door i do posses the key for is the exit. like neo had in the movie the matrix. garbish?

minnesotasmith
08-08-2008, 13:32
i dont get it. but then i seldom have ever. if your saying luke is long winded in his asking. i disagree. his cool ass letter is prolly gonna get those meals free. luke, i live on top of langs fruit and produce store. hes my friend and landlord. he lends me his wholesaler card and i ride my bike 10 bloks to jetro, the cash and carry for the entire city. they have pallets of the crap. its at the legal wholesale price. if you have a connection like this, maby you can go to the central wholesaler in your area. i would be glad to go with you here in philly if that ever became conveinient. and i was thinking i wish i could put together an academicly enhanced letter like that,...i would. my mind works another way. between me and minnesota, the world spins. you might call us, bookends of psycology. ms being the end result of over unity normalizing and me being the stretched out version of man with weirdness added to the point of useless dillution. meaning, my smarts cant easily be applyed cause i cant spell them well enough to get my point across. my tricks are suited for atr and so i have a place. but minnesota smiths abilitys can be used universaly to unlock many doors i cannot. the one door i do posses the key for is the exit. like neo had in the movie the matrix. garbish?

There are different times for different skills, no question. I phrased the letter to Knorr's both to educate them, and to try to get them excited a bit that (unknowingly until now) they're a part of something like AT thruhiking. You should have seen how obsessed one postman got last time over my upcoming thruhike, once he found out what all the packages were for...

On the subject of frequently-eaten staple hiking foods that are pricey, I'd add beef jerky, nuts (whole shelled raw unsalted, of course, mainly almonds or sunflower seeds), the better dried fruits like dates/figs/apricots, foil packs of meat (especially shrimp/oysters/salmon), nonfat dry milk, and of course Cadbury chocolate bars (plain). I've GOT to find a practical source for getting those in wholesale quantities at wholesale prices. Someone mentioned www.amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com); I'll have to look there...

the goat
08-08-2008, 13:37
You should have seen how obsessed one postman got last time over my upcoming thruhike, once he found out what all the packages were for...
do you get free postage now?

minnesotasmith
08-08-2008, 15:13
do you get free postage now?

The guy became really good at making sure we were home before leaving packages, knocked on the door so we could hand him our outgoing mail directly (no having to risk identity theft by some clown stealing it from our mailbox), etc., etc. Oh, and he was known to bring fresh vegetables from his garden. Not a bad exchange for telling him some trail stories I enjoy recounting for an appreciative audience in any event...

Sly
08-08-2008, 15:33
The thread on the hiking forum (www.whiteblaze.net (http://www.whiteblaze.net/)) where people kept track of it ("MinnesotaSmith Update", from my trail name of MinnesotaSmith) received over a quarter of a million hits. I suspect this...

A 1/4 million hits by 50-100 people.

You make it sound as though you did something completely extraordinary. You're one of 10,000 to hike the trail.

Have you tried Sam's Club to get your needed 250 packs of Lipton's? It appears to me that you maybe being disingenuous and looking for a hand out.

minnesotasmith
08-08-2008, 15:53
You make it sound as though you did something completely extraordinary. You're one of 10,000 to hike the trail.

Not many were the year's fad as my hike ended up being (for reasons that still elude me in part).

Have you tried Sam's Club to get your needed 250 packs of Lipton's? It appears to me that you maybe being disingenuous and looking for a hand out.

Have been to a Sam's Club. They didn't carry the whole-grain ones I want, just the low-nutrient white-flour insulin-bomb types. I admit to hoping I can get a bulk discount, but that's only reasonable, given the quantity I want to order.

the goat
08-08-2008, 16:01
Not many were the year's fad as my hike ended up being (for reasons that still elude me in part).

i think at least part of the "fad" was: the gigantic pack, all the superfulous gear, 6 rolls of doo-doo paper, 3 gallons of water, covering all exposed skin at all times, looking for a breeding female, sleeping in outhouses, etc., etc.:D

minnesotasmith
08-08-2008, 16:13
i think at least part of the "fad" was: the gigantic pack, all the superfulous gear, 6 rolls of doo-doo paper, 3 gallons of water, covering all exposed skin at all times, looking for a breeding female, sleeping in outhouses, etc., etc.:D

I specifically was NOT looking for a wife on the Trail, having pointed out before that most female thruhikers would make poor potential wife material from my POV. Too, your info on water was way off; I don't think I once carried more than 3 liters of treated water with me during a day's hike prior to central PA. Covering my skin against the sun? Ask any dermatologist how clever it is for a blonde to have leathery skin covered with precancerous nodes by age 40, as I've seen plenty of other, less long-range planning hikers headed for. Superfluous gear? I had relatively little of that, just more in the way of supplies (food, say) than most other hikers. No MP3 player, laptop, Blackberry, illegal recreational drugs, tobacco, porn, elaborate cooking setup, multiple novels to read, etc. for me. And, the outhouse bit? That didn't happen til I was in southern Maine, when I had over 1600 AT miles behind me that year. The Thread was already the top one for #s of hits at WB by that point.

Oh, and about my first thruhike not being that extraordinary? Sure, arguably, except that it was for me, and that was all I was concerned about. I've got a couple of twists coming on this next one, though, so it will hardly just be a repeat...

max patch
08-08-2008, 16:14
Well MS, I normally stick up for you -- when you and Doyle post something all the haters come out in attack mode regardless of what either one of you say -- but your letter was over the top.

I agree totally with the comments Sly made; you sounded to me like one of the liberals you hate asking for a government handout.

The comments by The Goat in explaining your following were also spot on.

And while your hike was followed by a number of people on WB, I don't think you were quite the darling of the "AT Community" (I hate that term) as a whole. Most people who met you IRL as you hiked did not make favorable comments.

Just my opinion. Remember, I'm generally one of your supporters.

mudhead
08-08-2008, 16:22
Hey MS! Porn as in skin mags, or the really nasty stuff?

minnesotasmith
08-08-2008, 16:27
Hey MS! Porn as in skin mags, or the really nasty stuff?

Neither would have helped me hike, or remember it well, which is what it was all about.

woodsy
08-08-2008, 16:27
What did he say? this is all i see:
minnesotasmith (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=3390) This message is hidden because minnesotasmith is on your ignore list.
never mind, i don't want to know :rolleyes: LOL

mudhead
08-08-2008, 16:30
Either, or neither? I mean for all I know, you are talking about the Sunday supplement from JC Penney.

rcli4
08-08-2008, 16:31
The reason he had so many hits is because folks wanted to read Mathewski's crazy wit. And face it most were waiting for him to fail so they could say I told you so.

Clyde

minnesotasmith
08-08-2008, 16:50
Well MS, I normally stick up for you -- when you and Doyle post something all the haters come out in attack mode regardless of what either one of you say -- but your letter was over the top.

I agree totally with the comments Sly made; you sounded to me like one of the liberals you hate asking for a government handout.

1) I did not ask for anything free from Knorr's. I'm looking for a place I can buy a quantity of their product, that's all. If I can get the price discounted down to the normal rate for a bulk buy, sure, that'd be great, but that's nothing they likely don't already offer anyone who buys in quantity.

2) A number of people that disliked encountering me were jerks who thought nothing of letting their dogs run loose and threaten people, continual tobacco smokestacks or pre-darkness-bedtimers confused about shelters not being motel rooms they'd paid to rent, 5-month beard-wearers convinced it was impractical to shave on the Trail seeing someone who managed it every town shower, radical misandrists unused to a world outside of family/work/media/academia (where the many people who hold them in contempt aren't forced to pretend respect), diabetes-bound junk-food eaters bothered by seeing someone silently eating healthy food in the same manner as some people who never get over 50' from a car when outdoors are offended by seeing hikers or joggers, secretive blue/yellow-blazers seeing someone older and in worse shape than them remaining a purist well into his thruhike, etc. So? Most of the time someone found something negative about my presence, it was because I was a mirror, not because I pulled anything. There were plenty of people I helped in some way during my hike to the point of their showing effusive gratitude that was never publicized.

3) Running through the stats on what a thruhike can involve was intended primarily to show that an LD thruhike is extraordinary (not so much that mine was in particular). I think that is a statement most members here can agree with.

the goat
08-08-2008, 17:31

The comments by The Goat in explaining your following were also spot on.

And while your hike was followed by a number of people on WB, I don't think you were quite the darling of the "AT Community" (I hate that term) as a whole. Most people who met you IRL as you hiked did not make favorable comments.

Just my opinion. Remember, I'm generally one of your supporters.

thanks, i thought so too.

MS - wasn't yring to hurt your feelings, was just trying to explain the reasons why your hike was a "fad" that you stated you didn't know.

Sly
08-08-2008, 18:03
1) I did not ask for anything free from Knorr's. I'm looking for a place I can buy a quantity of their product, that's all.

That's all? Why didn't you just say, I'd like to buy Lipton's in bulk, rather than telling them about your last hike, the 1/4 million hit thread, Whiteblaze etc and your upcoming hike?

I wouldn't blame for asking for discounts or sponsorship but at least be honest about it.

BTW, if you asked your local grocer they'd probably be able to buy in bulk for you. I know I used to do that with produce running club events.

minnesotasmith
08-08-2008, 18:27
That's all? Why didn't you just say, I'd like to buy Lipton's in bulk, rather than telling them about your last hike, the 1/4 million hit thread, Whiteblaze etc and your upcoming hike?

To motivate them to do so, if they don't normally bother to do that. People like feeling part of something they consider interesting. If making money wasn't enough for them, I figured perhaps it'd help push them into being willing to sell me a bulk order.

mister krabs
08-08-2008, 23:04
I think you may very well get a special deal. I hope you do. And good on ya for having the stones to speak up and contact them directly. So what if you were offering to be a walking billboard for their stuff? I think you should offer directly! So what if you were to tell anyone who asked how much you enjoyed their product and you benefitted from that? That doesn't say anything about you or your hike. Every single person we hear on the radio or see on tv is doing that to some extent, it's commercial but so what? You would not be selling yourself or anyone else or the trail. You would be telling people how much you enjoy knorr products and they would bet on benefitting to some tangible extent from that. It's not blowing your own horn or selling out any more than writing a book or a dissertation about your experience on the trail. To heck with what any one else thinks about it, HYOH and run your own game, and if you can do it more cheaply than Joe Shmoe, more power to you.

Blue Jay
08-09-2008, 09:59
1) A number of people that disliked encountering me were jerks who thought nothing of letting their dogs run loose and threaten people, continual tobacco smokestacks or pre-darkness-bedtimers confused about shelters not being motel rooms they'd paid to rent, 5-month beard-wearers convinced it was impractical to shave on the Trail seeing someone who managed it every town shower, radical misandrists unused to a world outside of family/work/media/academia (where the many people who hold them in contempt aren't forced to pretend respect), diabetes-bound junk-food eaters bothered by seeing someone silently eating healthy food in the same manner as some people who never get over 50' from a car when outdoors are offended by seeing hikers or joggers, secretive blue/yellow-blazers seeing someone older and in worse shape than them remaining a purist well into his thruhike, etc.

No, most hikers (vastly more than "a number) who met you hated you, because you are you. Believe me, I know obnoxious, because clearly I can be obnoxious. You, however,:confused: are completely unaware of just how obnoxious you are.

Blue Jay
08-09-2008, 10:03
Actually your threads are quite entertaining, much like watching a train wreck.:banana

minnesotasmith
08-09-2008, 11:19
The reason he had so many hits is because folks wanted to read Mathewski's crazy wit. And face it most were waiting for him to fail so they could say I told you so.

Clyde

I haven't heard much at all about the second point this time...:-?:rolleyes:

doggiebag
08-09-2008, 11:58
How much slack packing did you do on your last thru hike?

minnesotasmith
08-09-2008, 12:29
How much slack packing did you do on your last thru hike?

A little over half of Maine, about half of Vermont (as a SOBO flipflop in the winter after NH and ME), about 3 days in NH (Mt. Mooselauke in the Whites plus mid-NH not in the Whites with my cousin), a day north of Kincora, 2 days north of Erwin, and about 4 days of Mass. (mostly when my family visited me). I might have forgotten a little of it, but that was the vast majority. I did bust a hump to white-blaze it the whole way, to be sure.

Goal next time is to do little or none of it, presuming my knees don't come close to blowing out the way they approached doing in Maine. (Southern Maine, harder than the Whites IMO, plus mid-40s is not the best combination.) My ride to Sylacauga, Alabama (the start of the Pinhoti Trail) this December found out that water is in short supply at first, and wants to bring me water at the end of the first day. (I'd still carry my full pack the whole day.) I'm undecided even on that one, wanting a purer hike this time.

doggiebag
08-09-2008, 12:32
I'm hoping not to slack pack myself. Though it has it's attraction.

A little over half of Maine, about half of Vermont (as a SOBO flipflop after NH and ME), about 3 days in NH (Mt. Mooselauke in the Whites plus mid-NH not in the Whites with my cousin), around 2 days each near Kincora and Erwin, about 4 days of Mass. (mostly when my family visited me). I might have forgotten a little of it, but that was the vast majority. I did bust a hump to white-blaze it the whole way, to be sure.

Goal next time is to do little or none of it, presuming my knees don't come close to blowing out the way they approached doing in Maine. (Southern Maine, harder than the Whites IMO, plus mid-40s is not the best combination.) My ride to Sylacauga, Alabama (the start of the Pinhoti Trail) this December found out that water is in short supply at first, and wants to bring me water at the end of the first day. (I'd still carry my full pack the whole day.) I'm undecided even on that one, wanting a purer hike this time.

RBoone
08-09-2008, 14:33
To motivate them to do so, if they don't normally bother to do that. People like feeling part of something they consider interesting. If making money wasn't enough for them, I figured perhaps it'd help push them into being willing to sell me a bulk order.

FFS, Knorr is a giant corporation. You wanting to buy an extra couple dozen dinners wouldn't mean squat to their bottom line, neither would the fifty of so people on WB who followed logged on a thousand times to the thread and followed it to its painful conclusion. Half of them think you're a dork and won't buy it simply because you like it. You endorsing their products is like someone with emphysema endorsing Marlboro.

You'd be better to say that you're nearly broke and need some cheap food. Maybe they'll have pity and send you a couple of coupons.

OregonHiker
08-09-2008, 14:40
No, most hikers (vastly more than "a number) who met you hated you, because you are you. Believe me, I know obnoxious, because clearly I can be obnoxious. You, however,:confused: are completely unaware of just how obnoxious you are.

I particularily liked how when another WBer offered to sell my Boy Scout group their left over dehydrated food that MS jumped in to buy it out from under us.

Real class act :(

minnesotasmith
08-09-2008, 14:43
I particularily liked how when another WBer offered to sell my Boy Scout group their left over dehydrated food that MS jumped in to buy it out from under us.

Real class act :(

Their parents are all unemployed? My family had no problem buying me my food at market rates when I was in Boy Scouts myself.

I don't see how you think I'm responsible for feeding someone else's kids. That's their parents' responsibility. "Don't birth 'em if you don't have (nongov't/nonforcible) support lined up" is my motto on that.

Do you favor an income cap or maximum age to be allowed to patronize garage sales and thrift stores? Not being wasteful of money is how we're affording this trip in the first place.

OregonHiker
08-09-2008, 14:44
Their parents are all unemployed? My family had no problem buying me my food at market rates when I was in Boy Scouts myself.

But now you beg for discounts? :(

minnesotasmith
08-09-2008, 14:49
FFS, Knorr is a giant corporation. You wanting to buy an extra couple dozen dinners wouldn't mean squat to their bottom line, neither would the fifty of so people on WB who followed logged on a thousand times to the thread and followed it to its painful conclusion. Half of them think you're a dork and won't buy it simply because you like it. You endorsing their products is like someone with emphysema endorsing Marlboro.

You'd be better to say that you're nearly broke and need some cheap food. Maybe they'll have pity and send you a couple of coupons.

1) I was looking into buying a minimum of 250 packages. Even in the New Math, that's a bit more than the ~24 you think I'm looking into buying.

2) I've made a fair study of human nutrition. I think it's fair to say I have managed to gain an understanding of it that exceeds the bulk of the under-30s that dominate AT thruhikers. Feel free to point out posts of mine on the subject that show otherwise. Anyway, popularity doesn't relate to credibility to rational people, else Paris Hilton would advise everyone on politics... ;)

minnesotasmith
08-09-2008, 14:50
But now you beg for discounts? :(

I wanted the standard wholesale rate for making a wholesale-sized purchase. That's only fair.

OregonHiker
08-09-2008, 14:53

I would imagine that your parents would have paid twice the market rate to get you to go away :cool:

RBoone
08-09-2008, 18:03
ohhh... you're going to buy over 200 packages! What are they? $2 each? So to Knorr Corporation's gross profit, you're going to add over $400!!! I'm sure their CEO is already counting on that new Merecedes. Christ on a stick, get a grip.

If you lived closer, I'd sponsor a canned goods collection for you.

minnesotasmith
08-09-2008, 18:29
I would imagine that your parents would have paid twice the market rate to get you to go away :cool:

My parents cared about me (unlike those of the webblazers here). As the saying goes, "you can always tell who was bottlefed". ;)

BTW, what's your thruhiking background, out of curiousity?

minnesotasmith
08-09-2008, 18:37
(http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=Dug+Gap+Battle+Rd+%4034.738251,+-85.018158&daddr=Airport+Rd+%4034.757100,+-84.919620+to:Tibbs+Bridge+Rd+SE+%4034.759330,+-84.897909+to:Tibbs+Bridge+Rd+%4034.734218,+-84.849270+to:34.71904,-84.771194+to:Peeples+Lake+Rd+%4034.722078,+-84.715478&hl=en&geocode=1155381573476259853,34.738251,-85.018158%3B13292403970223568096,34.757100,-84.919620%3B7051850440032051883,34.759330,-84.897909%3B14097774525145012514,34.734218,-84.849270%3B3393165182020972699,34.722078,-84.715478&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=4&sz=13&via=1,2,3,4&sll=34.745421,-84.767761&sspn=0.062627,0.109863&ie=UTF8&ll=34.745562,-84.846382&spn=0.125255,0.219727&z=12)

and i ask about the way you handled your roadwalking because i'm curious... i live and work in dalton, and drive at least a little bit of the roadwalk section EVERY DAY, and have NEVER seen a hiker walking through town... rarely ever do i even meet anybody around here thats even heard of the pinhoti... sometimes people recall seeing the signs on 76 but thats about all...

I haven't had to handle this issue during an LD hike before. I haven't set foot on the Pinhoti yet, for one thing. I'll try to get to woods, but if I have to stealth, I will. Stop after dark, and get going before daylight, prevents a lot of problems (along with not camping near a road, not making a fire, combat-like care with lights and noise, etc.) I'm not going to do shuttles just full-pack hiking a span of trail between resupply/hostel stops. With any luck, we'll get invited to sleep in someone's garage/back porch/backyard, or the like; it's happened to me before when hiking...

Gray Blazer
08-09-2008, 18:45
BTW, what's your thruhiking background, out of curiousity?

I can't believe you pulled the thruhiker card. ;)

minnesotasmith
08-09-2008, 18:53

I don't know the guy, and was curious where he was coming from.

OregonHiker
08-09-2008, 18:55
I don't know the guy, and was curious where he was coming from.

Post #174 says it all.

minnesotasmith
08-09-2008, 19:05
Post #174 says it all.

1) #175 took care of that attempted line of criticism once and for all.

2) No thruing, then? Most successful thrus have some pride in having doing that sort of thing...

OregonHiker
08-09-2008, 19:10
2) No thruing, then? Most successful thrus have some pride in having doing that sort of thing...

Sorry....I wouldn't be proud of carrying six rolls of toilet paper but YMMV :mad:

OregonHiker
08-09-2008, 19:11

That's what I was thinking too. But then I could play the parent and husband cards :sun

OregonHiker
08-09-2008, 19:25

I wouldn't trade one mile hiking with my kid on any trail for the opprotunity to do 10 thru hikes

max patch
08-09-2008, 19:31
[/I]

With any luck, we'll get invited to sleep in someone's garage/back porch/backyard, or the like; it's happened to me before when hiking...

I was lucky enough to be invited to spend the night in former NH Governor Meldrim Thomson's barn. A verrry interesting individual, anyone can google or check Wikipedia if interested. His wife gave me a tour of their maple syrup operation in the morning, followed by the best pancakes I've ever had.

minnesotasmith
08-09-2008, 19:32
I wouldn't trade one mile hiking with my kid on any trail for the opprotunity to do 10 thru hikes

Everyone needs time away from everyone else, no matter how close, so it's not like it's a zero-sum game. You surely wouldn't dream of making it a point to go with your wife on every single shoe/clothes/antique/crafts shopping expedition or bridge club meeting, would you? :eek: A thruhike is a great way to refresh parts of yourself you didn't even know were tired of the usual grind, far beyond what a weekend or 2 weeks a year in the wild can give you. I'll miss my family and closest friends during my upcoming expanded thru, but I'm not joined at the hip to any of them. Besides, they can come see me along the way a time or two if they like; some did last time. :)

mudhead
08-09-2008, 19:39
shoe/clothes/antique/crafts shopping expedition, would you? :eek:

You are being sexist again, even if you do not mean to.

It is Oregon.

You wouldn't like it there.

minnesotasmith
08-09-2008, 19:56
It is Oregon.

You wouldn't like it there.

The culture there is definitely ever-increasingly a People's Republic according to online friends of mine. The closest I've ever been to living in such a place was rural Wisconsin. Nice country, most of the people were fine, but a grasping, nanny-state government that had the seeds of its own destruction sown everywhere, kind of California-lite... To give an example, the regulations on normal household-trash disposal were so extensive, and so particular, mandating recycling on most waste, with specific colors on bags, dimensions on how cardboard had to be tied, etc., that the trash guys routinely would not pick up even half of our trash. We had mandatory pickup, so we were paying for a service we didn't even get. I ended up having to haul it all to the dumpster once a week at the plant at which I ran the lab. What a PITA...

minnesotasmith
08-09-2008, 19:59
I was lucky enough to be invited to spend the night in former NH Governor Meldrim Thomson's barn. A verrry interesting individual, anyone can google or check Wikipedia if interested. His wife gave me a tour of their maple syrup operation in the morning, followed by the best pancakes I've ever had.

I'd like to hear more details about your experience there.

Gray Blazer
08-09-2008, 20:31
My ex and I were invited to sleep at these nice people's house and they turned out to be raging mean drunks and we barely escaped there with our lives. Too bad you can't trust everyone.

Zzzzdyd
08-10-2008, 03:28
http://www.altrec.com/jetboil/15-liter-cooking-pot?cm_mmc=keywords-_-google-_-Jetboil-_-1%2e5+Liter+Cooking+Pot

http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Jackets%20%26%20Vests&viewpost=2&ContentId=61

http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Jackets%20%26%20Vests&viewpost=2&ContentId=55

Possible replacements for your wore out Powderball ?

mweinstone
08-10-2008, 06:07
ms is a respected member of the hiking comunity. hes grown a sence of humor. and hes had sex. therefore he cannot be toyed with. his letter was fine sly. your b o b e d and being silly. ms dont ask for nothin. and if he does take a bite of my food, it means he trusts me. handouts indeed. government invovements ha! ms not cool? yeah right. this cats cool. hes fun to hike with. and hes a plethera of trail info. he can recite snofall charts for the smokeys like baseball stats. he hikes like the wind. and he eats octapuss. do you know how bad canned octapuss smells? ****, hes cool for that alone.

mweinstone
08-10-2008, 06:11
and another thing. minnesota smith is a thruhiking god. that is all,

minnesotasmith
08-10-2008, 08:16
My ex and I were invited to sleep at these nice people's house and they turned out to be raging mean drunks and we barely escaped there with our lives. Too bad you can't trust everyone.

Being near the Trail helps with people being trustable, but it's not a sure thing, sad to say. Miss Emerson's terrible fate comes to mind...

Re her, I think I may have met her. The day I started my '06 thru, there was a personable, attractive relatively young woman hiking at Amicalola that I chatted with for a minute, and my mother talked with more extensively while I checked a couple of last-minute things on my gear. She later saw multiple articles in newspapers about the whole thing, and I think she saw a photograph of the young woman she thought was the same person.

minnesotasmith
08-10-2008, 08:24
http://www.altrec.com/jetboil/15-liter-cooking-pot?cm_mmc=keywords-_-google-_-Jetboil-_-1%2e5+Liter+Cooking+Pot

http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Jackets%20%26%20Vests&viewpost=2&ContentId=61

http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Jackets%20%26%20Vests&viewpost=2&ContentId=55

Possible replacements for your wore out Powderball ?

But, the pot (otherwise perfect) is Aluminum, which I try to stay away from in cookware due to the apparent connection with Alzheimer's; titanium all the way for me.

The long jackets are only up to size XL, and I need a 2XL (not just my pre-hike gut size, but to have the option to wear substantial other clothing under it). I'm going to be hiking almost all winter this time, and it's a safety issue to be geared up for the possibility of fairly harsh cold. Patagonia will have black 2XL Puffball jackets like the one I wore last time for sale in a couple weeks, I found out by calling them; those just aren't advertised on their site yet. ($225.00 apiece, too; the gear costs are adding up...)

Thank you sincerely for trying to help me out, though.

max patch
08-10-2008, 12:59
I'd like to hear more details about your experience there.

Gov and Mrs Thomson were known to be friends of hikers. They would sometimes (this was not a hostel or guaranteed place to stay in any sense of the word) allow hikers to sleep in their barn or camp on their property by a lake. I was lucky that Mr Thomson was outside and saw me. We chatted a few minutes and he invited me to stay in their barn overnight. It was starting to drizzle so I gladly took him up on his offer. We didn't discuss politics; if I had known of some of his unorthodox views I would have done so.

His wife ran the Mt Cube Sugar House across the street. They make their own maple syrup which they sell and there is also a restaurant on the property. The next morning she spent a good half hour showing me how maple syrup is made and then made me breakfast. According to my journal I had 6 pancakes, 4 sausages, coffee, juice and maple syrup that they had made. I paid the standard price of $5.

Gov Thomson has since passed away; I don't know if the Sugar House is still in operation.

minnesotasmith
08-10-2008, 13:06
Gov and Mrs Thomson were known to be friends of hikers. They would sometimes (this was not a hostel or guaranteed place to stay in any sense of the word) allow hikers to sleep in their barn or camp on their property by a lake. I was lucky that Mr Thomson was outside and saw me. We chatted a few minutes and he invited me to stay in their barn overnight. It was starting to drizzle so I gladly took him up on his offer. We didn't discuss politics; if I had known of some of his unorthodox views I would have done so.

His wife ran the Mt Cube Sugar House across the street. They make their own maple syrup which they sell and there is also a restaurant on the property. The next morning she spent a good half hour showing me how maple syrup is made and then made me breakfast. According to my journal I had 6 pancakes, 4 sausages, coffee, juice and maple syrup that they had made. I paid the standard price of $5.

Gov Thomson has since passed away; I don't know if the Sugar House is still in operation.

About where was this?

max patch
08-10-2008, 19:42
NH 25A, which is also named after the Gov for a stretch.

If NOBO, turn left 2 miles to the Sugar House. (A right turn takes you to Glencliff.)

rickb
08-10-2008, 20:25
NH 25A, which is also named after the Gov for a stretch.

If NOBO, turn left 2 miles to the Sugar House. (A right turn takes you to Glencliff.)

She served me up some raspberry pie a la mode. Cant imagine having walked 4 mile RT for that, though. Bet they move the Trail.

Really? What's up with that?

max patch
08-11-2008, 09:03
She served me up some raspberry pie a la mode. Cant imagine having walked 4 mile RT for that, though. Bet they move the Trail.

You could be right, Rick. My old Trail Guide mentions a blue blaze in the area that used to be the old AT. I'm curious myself; I didn't mention in my journal how far -- if any -- I road walked to get here. If I can find my map of the area I'm going to see what it shows.

max patch
08-11-2008, 15:01
Found on the net that the AT used to go directly thru the Thomsons farm before it was re-located. Still don't know the date.

Oh, and the first thru-hiker served by Mrs Thomson? Grandma Gatewood.

http://books.google.com/books?id=rp6RywISXngC&pg=PA87&lpg=PA87&dq=%22cube+sugar+house%22&source=web&ots=j3ibTYebbJ&sig=qAfcmjfpKWlLevxN_IYub1cFbBc&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=9&ct=result#PPA86,M1

minnesotasmith
08-23-2008, 21:07
I'm still very much inclined to try to hike the Pinhoti as a purist. As no way will I be able to rack out 25 miles when I hit Dalton, and sleeping on the streets of a town is out of the question, that leaves lodging. Does anyone who knows the area have a suggestion for a halfway-conveniently-located (sigh) motel in the area that's not absolutely prohibitive in price? I'd rather stay in a roach motel than pay 80+ bucks for a night's stay.

Lone Wolf
08-23-2008, 21:29
I'm still very much inclined to try to hike the Pinhoti as a purist. As no way will I be able to rack out 25 miles when I hit Dalton, and sleeping on the streets of a town is out of the question, that leaves lodging. Does anyone who knows the area have a suggestion for a halfway-conveniently-located (sigh) motel in the area that's not absolutely prohibitive in price? I'd rather stay in a roach motel than pay 80+ bucks for a night's stay.

learn how to stealth

minnesotasmith
08-23-2008, 21:58
learn how to stealth

Where? Again, anyone who knows Dalton at all, please feel free to chime in here.

sbennett
08-23-2008, 22:08
Moosejaw and one other obscure place. These are super-handy waistband pouches with straps that attach to nearly any pack. I used one (well, two, once the first one gave out on me after 1600 miles or so) These have a compartment large enough to hold lunch, blister stuff, guidebook, a map, and a headlamp. They also have a 1-Liter water bottle holder (a "dry" rib doesn't have this), removing any need for a hydration system. Unfortunately, they're light enough that they can wear out in normal usage over the course of a thruhike.

I have one good one left from last hike. I need 3 more. Does anyone know where I can buy these? They cost about 20 bucks apiece new.

If you're still looking for one of these I know I have one...somewhere. I'll be moving in the next month or two so I'll keep an eye for it. Mine is a Dana Design, before the whole sell-out to Marmot deal. Anyways, I'll let you know if I run across it.

minnesotasmith
08-23-2008, 22:33
If you're still looking for one of these I know I have one...somewhere. I'll be moving in the next month or two so I'll keep an eye for it. Mine is a Dana Design, before the whole sell-out to Marmot deal. Anyways, I'll let you know if I run across it.

I very much want to buy several more of these. They don't last indefinitely on the Trail; I found that one was good only for about 1500 miles before the bottom wore through, straps started to go, etc.

The GF is inclined to make some knockoffs, but that's plan B.

the goat
08-24-2008, 12:16
Where? Again, anyone who knows Dalton at all, please feel free to chime in here.

anywhere that your body will fit comfortably & you won't be seen.

cemetaries work pretty well, if you can get past the whole ghost thing.

MOWGLI
08-24-2008, 12:41
The National Forest butts right up against Dalton. So a motel in Dalton is hardly necessary. You could easily stealth near Dug Gap before the trail crosses I-75 and the road walk begins.

If you could somehow refrain from disparaging the volunteers who make the Georgia Pinhoti Trail possible, they very well might be willing to assist you as you come through the area. Mike Dillard owns a B&B in Summerville, GA. http://www.dillardsbandb.com/ He'd be worth contacting. Mike is a friend of mine, and a friend to many in the trail community.

minnesotasmith
08-24-2008, 16:51
The National Forest butts right up against Dalton. So a motel in Dalton is hardly necessary. You could easily stealth near Dug Gap before the trail crosses I-75 and the road walk begins.

...the volunteers who make the Georgia Pinhoti Trail possible, they very well might be willing to assist you as you come through the area. Mike Dillard owns a B&B in Summerville, GA. http://www.dillardsbandb.com/ He'd be worth contacting. Mike is a friend of mine, and a friend to many in the trail community.

It's what to do during the 25-mile road walk that I understand is mainly fully-developed suburbs and mid-size downtown (if it's not, please say). I don't know anyone closer than 70 miles or so from there, I don't want to slackpack or be shuttled, I don't want to pay 3 digits for a motel room, and I certainly don't want an unpleasant encounter with Officer Not-So-Friendly. Other than "find a cemetary", I'm still looking for useful non-motel/B&B/slackpacking/shuttle ideas.

MOWGLI
08-24-2008, 17:04
It's what to do during the 25-mile road walk that I understand is mainly fully-developed suburbs and mid-size downtown (if it's not, please say). I don't know anyone closer than 70 miles or so from there, I don't want to slackpack or be shuttled, I don't want to pay 3 digits for a motel room, and I certainly don't want an unpleasant encounter with Officer Not-So-Friendly. Other than "find a cemetary", I'm still looking for useful non-motel/B&B/slackpacking/shuttle ideas.

You could camp at Dug Gap, get up bright and early, and get across the gap in one long day. It's flat as hell, so you could easily walk 10 hours at 2.5 MPH. How's that for advice?

Personally, I'd catch a ride across that area. There is no trail, and it's a dangerous stretch of road. This is a case where "purism" could get you squashed like a bug.

minnesotasmith
08-24-2008, 17:09
You could camp at Dug Gap, get up bright and early, and get across the gap in one long day. It's flat as hell, so you could easily walk 10 hours at 2.5 MPH. How's that for advice?

"As no way will I be able to rack out 25 miles [in one day] when I hit Dalton..."

MOWGLI
08-24-2008, 17:14
So, you don't want to skip the trail. You've already convinced yourself that you can't walk it in one day. You don't want to slack. And you don't want to stay in a hotel or B&B.

Why don't you just come straight out and ask somebody to take you into their home and stop beating around the bush?

Hooch
08-24-2008, 17:19
Whether you think you can or cannot, either way you are right. :D

minnesotasmith
08-24-2008, 17:35
So, you don't want to skip the trail. You've already convinced yourself that you can't walk it in one day. You don't want to slack. And you don't want to stay in a hotel or B&B.

Why don't you just come straight out and ask somebody to take you into their home and stop beating around the bush?

I'm not looking for that, and haven't even hinted at it. It's not a willingness issue to hike as many hours as it would take to do 25 miles in 1 day only about 200 miles into my hike, nor a daylight issue, but a stamina (at that point) issue. I hike when I can, but my job (currently 13-16 hours a day in the lab trailer) doesn't allow me to train as consistently as I'd like; as it is funding next year's expedition (not much circular about MY hike ;) ), starting my leave of absence it before early December isn't in the cards.

If someone knows firsthand (not from a map, I can do that) of a semiwild park or effectively vacant land a reasonable distance from the Pinhoti route in Dalton that would conceivably work out for stealthing (acceptable risks of police/crime problems), I'd like to hear about it.

MOWGLI
08-24-2008, 19:38
My reading comprehension skills are just fine. And I am quite familiar with the area - having driven it (firsthand) any number of times. I live only 35 minutes from Dalton.

There are plenty of places to stealth along the US 76 corridor. I suggest you find a suitable location when you walk through. That's what hikers do. It adds to the adventure.

minnesotasmith
08-24-2008, 20:07
The manufacturer is Mestemacher. It's whole-grain, comes in at least 5 varieties, shelf-stable (so good for over a year unrefrigerated), whole-grained, compressed, and low-water (but NOT a cracker, is still a bread).

I'm partial to the sunflower, 3-grain, and "fitness" ones myself. (I think the rye is a bit dry).

http://www.foodservicedirect.com/index.cfm/S/388/CLID/2192/N/82614/Mestemacher_Bread.htm

I'm putting one per person in almost all my mail drops, having found it very useful in my previous thruhike. It can be found in some ordinary (if large) grocery stores, in bread, deli, natural foods, or diet food sections. I've even twice found it in dollar stores, but that's rare.

Blue Jay
08-24-2008, 20:39

I live real close to Dalton and I firmly believe you're screwed.:D But then, of course, I'm hardly an objective reference when it comes to you.

max patch
08-24-2008, 21:21
I live real close to Dalton and

Not if you still live in East Poestenkill, NY....

minnesotasmith
08-24-2008, 22:51
Freeze-dried green peas:

http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=319
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Powdered egg whites:
http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=578

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Freeze-dried broccoli:
http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_FN%20B100_A_name_E_Provident+Pa ntry%AE+Freeze%2DDried+Broccoli

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Freeze-dried spinach:
http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_FN%20S150_A_name_E_Provident+Pa ntry%AE+Freeze+Dried+Chopped+Spinach

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Freeze-dried asparagus:
http://www.preparednessplus.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=470

Or
http://beprepared.com/product.asp?pn=FN%20A150&bhcd2=1219632328

Blue Jay
08-25-2008, 10:36
Not if you still live in East Poestenkill, NY....

It's right across the border. I know you southerners think NYC is the whole state, but it's not.

MOWGLI
08-25-2008, 10:38
It's right across the border. I know you southerners think NYC is the whole state, but it's not.

Yup. Blue Jay speaks the truth. When I moved to Tennessee from New York, I annexed the whole state. And they think Georgia is a threat. Ha! :p

papa john
08-25-2008, 10:44

Yep, 974 miles across the border. He is referring to Dalton, Ga.

ki0eh
08-25-2008, 10:54
Two Waynesboros, two Cove Mountain Shelters, and now two Daltons...

MOWGLI
08-25-2008, 11:22
Two Waynesboros, two Cove Mountain Shelters, and now two Daltons...

Doolin Daltons (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE2BVSpkUoY).

minnesotasmith
08-25-2008, 11:23
I know you southerners think NYC is the whole state, but it's not.

It's just where NY State would need to put its diaper. ;)

the goat
08-25-2008, 12:29
I live only 35 minutes from Dalton.

well it's settled then!

MS can just call you when he's ready, and you can pick him up.

if his schedule permits maybe he can even take a zero day and spend some real quality time with you & mrs. mowgli!

minnesotasmith
08-25-2008, 12:47
well it's settled then!

if his schedule permits maybe he can even take a zero day and spend some real quality time with you & mrs. mowgli!

I will have someone with me, and 4 people might be a tight fit in MOWGLI's house... :eek:

Here's a picture of it. Take a look and tell me what you think:

http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2007/02/micro_home.jpg

ki0eh
08-25-2008, 13:22
It's just where NY State would need to put its diaper. ;)

When I was at the NCTA conference a couple of NY State maps that were on display cut that part off. They sort of rounded off the south-going triangle and left it at that.

MOWGLI
08-25-2008, 19:34
well it's settled then!

Unfortunately, I have plans that day. Whenever that is. ;)

The Goat, you are always welcome. I can walk out my door and connect to 50 miles of trails in my backyard. I dare say, I live in a hiker's paradise. :banana

Hikerhead
08-25-2008, 20:14
Whatever your plans may be, quite sure MS & GF would enjoy going too. :)

Unfortunately, I have plans that day. Whenever that is. ;)

The Goat, you are always welcome. I can walk out my door and connect to 50 miles of trails in my backyard. I dare say, I live in a hiker's paradise. :banana

minnesotasmith
08-26-2008, 00:21
Whatever your plans may be, quite sure MS & GF would enjoy going too. :)

We'll be doing this thing called an AT thruhike. ;)

RITBlake
08-26-2008, 00:34
There are plenty of places to stealth along the US 76 corridor. I suggest you find a suitable location when you walk through. That's what hikers do. It adds to the adventure.

Yes. I like this. Just wing it MS!

mweinstone
08-26-2008, 05:46
matthew claude weinstone was here

Wilson
08-26-2008, 06:58
I will have someone with me, and 4 people might be a tight fit in MOWGLI's house... :eek:

Here's a picture of it. Take a look and tell me what you think:

http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2007/02/micro_home.jpg
I think somebody read Walden.

minnesotasmith
08-26-2008, 07:03
matthew claude weinstone was here

Your wit and moral support helped me beyond words last time. It's great to have you chime in here, my friend.

Say, what was the funniest or most memorable moment of your own recent hike? I'd like to hear about it, preferably in detail. :)

minnesotasmith
08-26-2008, 07:06
Yes. I like this. Just wing it MS!

I just found out a family member living in Georgia is getting married in October. We're going to take some vacation and go attend. While there, it would be hard to resist doing a recon of Dalton, and see what we're up against in that section. ;)

minnesotasmith
08-26-2008, 09:01
Am seriously considering a --Gasp!-- down bag. Is not just to get the weight down, but BC I really like the concept of the Big Agnes sleep system, with the pad held in place, and that only comes in down. And, I don't care for mummy bags; I'm a bit big for those to be comfortable, not to mention as I'll be starting in winter, the shoes and some water will often HAVE to go inside the bag.

I'm mainly looking at the Mystic SL.

Good webpage for sleeping bag comparisons, with different ranking options:

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/bagtable.cfm?orderby=Temperature

I don't think it lists the Phantom, though.

I also want to bring a sleeping bag liner this time to give options on going up or down with weather temps, and to reduce bag dirtiness/washing frequency. I've figured out that to get a sleeping bag liner in the size I need, it's easier just to have one made. Materials and labor probably are pretty similiar for price (it's been a while since I paid anyone to sew anything for me). I'm even going to see if I can have a set of loops or something sewn into the liner, so it is capable of serving as a standalone bag in deep summer, yet can be held in place over the air mattress in the same manner as a Big Agnes.

RITBlake
08-26-2008, 10:18
I just found out a family member living in Georgia is getting married in October. We're going to take some vacation and go attend. While there, it would be hard to resist doing a recon of Dalton, and see what we're up against in that section. ;)

Nice. Scout it out. Just looking on the map quickly looks there are several places you could duck in to for an undisturbed nights rest.

RITBlake
08-26-2008, 10:19
Am seriously considering a --Gasp!-- down bag.

After listening to the Western Mountaineering podcast on TrailCast I was convinced to buy one. And I'm glad I did, it's an amazing product.

the goat
08-26-2008, 21:39

dude, i am jealous, as you're living the dream right now. i hope i have an excuse to get down your way soon, you may indeed have the real hiker's paradise;).

smokymtnsteve
08-26-2008, 22:34
over 50 miles, is that all?

but I have to watch out for the grizz bears, even on my outhouse trail;)

MOWGLI
08-26-2008, 22:56
over 50 miles, is that all?

but I have to watch out for the grizz bears, even on my outhouse trail;)
Don't you miss the south Steve? :rolleyes:

minnesotasmith
08-26-2008, 23:11
The guy I know via my work that lives in Nova Scotia and has family in the wholesale seafood business hasn't come through on locating me a bunch of haddock fish jerky for healthy trail food yet. So, I've been looking around a bit on my own. I found this site that lists some seafood wholesalers up that way, and emailed them to see if they could sell me some dried fish. If one of them can sell it, I'll post the specific company info.

The site:

http://www.localhalifax.com/index.asp?L1ID=22&L1BID=67&L2ID=218&DisplayMode=&DisplayWidth=

smokymtnsteve
08-26-2008, 23:53
Don't you miss the south Steve? :rolleyes:

no. do you miss NYC?:eek:

mweinstone
08-27-2008, 06:33
in the near to distant future,......

honey ? get up for school! lets go! i packed you a nice peice of dryed haddoc and an orange and cookies! your favorite daddylunch! wake up sleepyhead.

even further in the future,.....

mr smith! what was it like growing up minnesota smiths son? do you still like fish? will this be a fish free administration?