PDA

View Full Version : Kent, CT to Lee, MA

mnof1000v
07-03-2008, 22:49
I'm planning a 5-6 day trip toward the end of July that ought to take me from Kent to Lee (perhaps longer), and I'm curious about current trail conditions.

Specifically, how are the water sources?

Are the bugs becoming a serious problem yet? (I hate to use DEET unless absolutely necessary...)

And where is the "pack" of 2008 thrus? I assume I'll meet a couple late starters during my trip.

A-Train
07-03-2008, 23:11
I'm planning a 5-6 day trip toward the end of July that ought to take me from Kent to Lee (perhaps longer), and I'm curious about current trail conditions.

Specifically, how are the water sources?

Are the bugs becoming a serious problem yet? (I hate to use DEET unless absolutely necessary...)

And where is the "pack" of 2008 thrus? I assume I'll meet a couple late starters during my trip.

1. I assume water won't be an issue. The northeast has been getting lots of rain all spring and summer. Usually this section has water.

2. The bugs are always problematic in this section during summer. I've done it in June and August and August was the worst. Bring Deet!!

3. Thru's are coming thru there all summer. By late July, the back of the pack should be passing thru there. There should be plenty of hikers.

Have fun

Jack Tarlin
07-03-2008, 23:13
*You'll meet a ton of folks and they aren't "late starters". Massachusetts is a perfectly good place for Northbound thru-hikers to be in late July.

*Water shouldn't be a problem.

*Bugs will be. DEET will indeed be necessary, unless you want to get eaten.

DavidNH
07-03-2008, 23:42
Jack Tarlin is so right. The bugs in this section, specifically after you descend from Mount Evert and before you reach route 7 can be horrible. There is a stretch that was the buggiest of the entire trail.

Bring head net, and the strongest bug repellant you can find.

David

le loupe
07-03-2008, 23:55
I'm planning a similar section from Hoyt road to Bear Mtn and out to fisher pond.

I thought i could do this is 5 days.

Anyone want to comment on the schedule for either of these sections.

ATSeamstress
07-04-2008, 00:22
I went through there last month and the bugs were horrendous. My bites are still healing. I was using bug dope too, lots of it! Water was not a problem at all. Met lots of folks, some thrus and lots of day and weekend hikers. Like Jack said, by now you'll see a lot of people.

Tin Man
07-04-2008, 00:40
I went through there last month and the bugs were horrendous. My bites are still healing. I was using bug dope too, lots of it! Water was not a problem at all. Met lots of folks, some thrus and lots of day and weekend hikers. Like Jack said, by now you'll see a lot of people.

Actually, water is the problem. The almost daily rain has helped spawn a nasty increase in the skeeter population this year, at least around these parts.

ATSeamstress
07-04-2008, 10:32
Actually, water is the problem. The almost daily rain has helped spawn a nasty increase in the skeeter population this year, at least around these parts.

I stand corrected! The availability of water isn't a problem.

adamkrz
07-04-2008, 10:59
I'm out every weekend somewhere on this section and everyone's correct on what to expect, Worst bugs are exactly where David said, Otherwise A great hike.

It would take me a little longer than 5 day's for this section but I like to stop early.

Don't forget to go for a swim just after Great Barrington at Bennedict pond, There's a nice beach only a couple hundred yards off the A.T. on the blue blaze..

rafe
07-04-2008, 11:07
Take it slow through Sages Ravine -- a real beauty spot. Don't forget to check out Upper Goose Pond. And if it's a hot day, have sunblock ready for Race Mtn.

mnof1000v
07-09-2008, 15:29
Thanks for all the information.:banana

sasquatch2014
07-09-2008, 19:32
Deet Deet Deet.

Blissful
07-09-2008, 22:30
And bring a tent. Hardly anyone stays in the shelters. Too buggy.

Cookerhiker
07-10-2008, 15:27
My Massachusetts AT hiking was covered in 2 trips: Lee to N. Adams in mid-October and Lee to Sages Ravine in mid-April. On the April hike as I sat by one of the ponds having lunch on a warm sunny day, I thought of the bugs I was missing by choosing to hike then. Hearing the responses to this thread reinforces that feeling.