PDA

View Full Version : Happy 4th of July to all

Furlough
07-04-2008, 09:09
Happy 4th to you and yours. Have a safe and enjoyable holiday.
And a belated Happy 4th to all you WB 4th of July timeouters who may read this later. :)

Furlough

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-04-2008, 09:14
Happy fourth to everyone and this is a good time to say thanks to all the veterans who have continued to do the work necessary to maintain what we are celebrating today.

mudhead
07-04-2008, 09:20
Coffee over. You awl be safe today. Don't blow anyone up.

musicwoman
07-04-2008, 09:28
Happy 4th of July everyone. And God Bless America!

Odd Thomas
07-04-2008, 09:30
Happy 4th! Down with the king! Down with taxes! :p

4eyedbuzzard
07-04-2008, 09:33
A happy Independence Day to all.

JAK
07-04-2008, 09:50
Due to two nights of thick fog here in Saint John, and too much wind last
night, the Loyalist City will be celebrating with fireworks on the fourth of July.

God couldn't give us both free will and justice 100% of the time, so he gave us irony.

:banana

p.s.
Perhaps some of you could explain to me how its done.
Got some hot dogs and marshmallows and Mesquite wood for a pit roast.
Got the minivan setup with blankets to watch the fireworks.

Now do I have to drink that American stuff, or will Canadian Beer do?
I'm thinking there's only one answer, but I'm not sure which brand.

double d
07-04-2008, 10:17
Happy 4th of July America! Today, if you can, take the time and read some American history about the Revolutionary War, or about the US Constitution, it will be a good time to learn something new today about America's birth.

4eyedbuzzard
07-04-2008, 10:25
...Now do I have to drink that American stuff, or will Canadian Beer do?

InBev has offered $65/share to buy up Anheuser-Busch. Sooner or later Bud is going to get bought up in the beer industry consolidation just like all the others.

Molson, Labatts, Moosehead, or any will do just fine. Most of 'em use German hops anyway.

SteveJ
07-04-2008, 10:26
Due to two nights of thick fog here in Saint John, and too much wind last
night, the Loyalist City will be celebrating with fireworks on the fourth of July.

God couldn't give us both free will and justice 100% of the time, so he gave us irony.

:banana

p.s.
Perhaps some of you could explain to me how its done.
Got some hot dogs and marshmallows and Mesquite wood for a pit roast.
Got the minivan setup with blankets to watch the fireworks.

Now do I have to drink that American stuff, or will Canadian Beer do?
I'm thinking there's only one answer, but I'm not sure which brand.

chuckle...in that situation, I think that only Sam Adams will do! Enjoy!

MOWGLI
07-04-2008, 10:32
I have a National Military Park (http://www.nps.gov/chch) in my backyard. :) I plant to hop on the trail outside my door and walk to the top of Lookout Mountain, and take in the same view that General Longstreet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Longstreet) did in 1863. In fact, I'm doing it right now. B-bye.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:James_Longstreet.jpg

JAK
07-04-2008, 10:39
Excellent suggestion. Thanks.

p.s. I just got an idea for the least popular brand of beer on either side of the border...

Here is some interesting history of Benedict Arnold in New Brunswick Canada after the war.
http://www.americanheritage.com/articles/magazine/ah/1967/6/1967_6_16.shtml

Benedict Arnold Beer.
Starts of rich, and reasonably full bodied, but quickly turns skunky, with a terrible aftertaste.

SteveJ
07-04-2008, 10:49
Excellent suggestion. Thanks.

p.s. I just got an idea for the least popular brand of beer on either side of the border...

Here is some interesting history of Benedict Arnold in New Brunswick Canada after the war.
http://www.americanheritage.com/articles/magazine/ah/1967/6/1967_6_16.shtml

Benedict Arnold Beer.
Starts of rich, and reasonably full bodied, but quickly turns skunky, with a terrible aftertaste.

chuckle....interesting fact - Arnold actually has a plaque in the chapel at West Point. The chapel has a plaque for each of the generals in the revolutionary war - for all the other generals, their name, date of birth, rank, and date of death are listed; Arnold's only has his date of birth and rank.....

JAK
07-04-2008, 10:50
Here is the bit on Benedict Arnold in Saint John, New Brunswick.
This was my reading for the day. My choice for tonight will be Samuel Adams Boston Ale.

Prior to the Revolution Arnold had prospered as a maritime merchant, working out of New Haven, Connecticut, and sailing his own ships up and down the American coast, buying, selling—and smuggling—livestock and provisions. In 1785 he purchased a brig, moved Peggy and the children to a smaller house in the Portman Square area, and left England for the largely Loyalist-built seaport of St. John, on the Bay of Fundy, in the Canadian province of New Brunswick. En route he put in at Halifax, greatly surprising the inhabitants there. “Will you believe General Arnold is here …?” one wrote to a friend in St. John. “He is bound for your city, which he will of course prefer to Halifax, and settle with you. Give you joy of the acquisition.”

In St. John, Arnold purchased property and started a merchandising enterprise in partnership with an American Loyalist. It was during his first winter in St. John that he became the father of an illegitimate son, John Sage, later mentioned in his will. The name of John’s mother remains a secret of history—and possibly of Peggy, to whom, according to Willard M. Wallace, one of Arnold’s best biographers, he confessed all and was forgiven, when in 1787 he returned to England long enough to place their younger sons with a private family and to move Peggy and their infant daughter to New Brunswick.

Back in St. John in July of that year, he bought a house big enough to accommodate his sister Hannah and the three sons of his former marriage, who came up from New England. Simultaneously he expanded his business, setting up trading stations on Campobello Island and at Fredericton, the wildernessrimmed capital of the province.

Once on North American soil, Peggy began making preparations to visit her family in Philadelphia. Twice she had to defer the trip, first because of the birth of another child, then because Arnold was away on a long trading journey. Most of 1789 had passed before she boarded a packet for the States, carrying baby George in her arms and accompanied by a maid.

At home she was relieved to find her mother in good spirits in spite of a crippling illness. Her father too appeared to be content and happy in a new and elevated position. After the war, Philadelphians had found it easy to forgive capable, clear-thinking Judge Edward Shippen for his Loyalist sympathies and to to make use of his talents. He was now on the state’s highest bench. A decade hence he would become chief justice of Pennsylvania, the title by which posterity remembers him. Before Arnold entered her life, Peggy had centered her affections on the Judge, and unquestionably it was a pleasure for her to be with him again. She could also chat for hours with her eldest and favorite sister, Elizabeth. Her brother Edward and her sisters had married, so there were nephews and nieces to be met and fondled. Still, her visit was hardly the triumphant return to the home town that Peggy had conjured up in her lively mind.

Snobbish Philadelphians disapproved of her frequent references to “his Majesty.” Old friends, even some relatives, snubbed her on the streets. Knots of people gathered in front of her father’s house to stare coldly as the “traitor’s wife” came and went. “How difficult it is,” she wrote sister Betsy in the summer of 1790, a few weeks after her return to St. John, “to know what will contribute to our happiness in this life. I had hoped that by paying my beloved friends a last visit, I should insure to myself some portion of it, but I find it far otherwise.”

Peggy wrote that it was cold in New Brunswick that summer. Gloomy fogs were rolling in from the sea and an epidemic of influenza was raging. She could have mentioned other troubles. Her husband was widely disliked. When, shortly before Peggy’s trip south, the traitor’s waterfront warehouse burned to the ground, gossiping tongues said he had set the fire to collect the insurance, although one of his older sons was asleep in the building at the time and barely escaped with his life, and Arnold himself was thousands of miles away on a trading jaunt. Subsequently he and his partner, Munson Hayt, parted company under unpleasant circumstances. Hayt said the General and his wife had cheated him of £700. In a legal plea he admitted proclaiming “with a loud voice” that Arnold had burned his own warehouse. He contended it was not in his power to blacken Arnold’s character because it was already “as black as it can be.” The General countered with a suit for slander. He won, but the judge, a Loyalist from New Jersey, awarded him only two shillings and sixpence instead of the £5,000 damages he had asked.

During the Arnolds’ last year in St. John, 1791, the long-standing dislike of the General assumed violent form. In the spring a mob overran the front lawn of his home. The angrily shouting citizens were burning an effigy labeled “traitor” when the troops arrived to disperse them. A few weeks later the Arnolds signalled their imminent departure for England with an advertisement in the Royal Gazette offering their New Brunswick properties for sale. The household items listed in the newspaper included “a set of elegant cabriole chairs covered with blue damask, sopha to correspond,” a “desert set of Wedgewood Gilt Ware,” “a Terrestrial Globe,” and “a Lady’s elegant Saddle and Bridle.” They sailed on New Year’s day. On the following February 26 Arnold wrote his agent in St. John, Jonathan Bliss, that their reception in London had “been very pleasant … and I cannot help viewing your great city as a shipwreck from which I have escaped.”

brotheral
07-04-2008, 11:53
Happy 4th to ALL. My sweetheart made some delicious potato salad last night. We'll be cooking hamburgers and hot dogs on the grill later on. Guess I'll make some of my "Doctored Up" Bush's baked beans, mmmmmmm goooooood !!!!!! Of course, watermelon for desert. :sun

Ron Haven
07-04-2008, 12:36
Very Happy 4th :sun

peanuts
07-04-2008, 14:13
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_14_12.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNfox000)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-04-2008, 14:57
I have a National Military Park (http://www.nps.gov/chch) in my backyard. :) I plant to hop on the trail outside my door and walk to the top of Lookout Mountain, and take in the same view that General Longstreet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Longstreet) did in 1863. In fact, I'm doing it right now. B-bye.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:James_Longstreet.jpg::: Green with envy Dino loves this hike. Give my regards to 'the point' :::

TOW
07-04-2008, 15:06
So I make me this cherry bomb to go fishing with today.........
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d9/Trip-wire_pipe_bomb.jpg/800px-Trip-wire_pipe_bomb.jpg (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d9/Trip-wire_pipe_bomb.jpg)

TOW
07-04-2008, 15:17
and this is what came bubbling up............
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/146/362312161_83da7c0ec7.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=362312161&size=o)

TOW
07-04-2008, 15:23
Happy 4th of July all and especially a Happy 4th to our men and women of the Armed Forces!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-04-2008, 15:30

mudcap
07-04-2008, 15:54
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/Fishstory.jpg

Fishing with an M80 ?

Happy 4th everyone,enjoy the day.

Odd Thomas
07-04-2008, 16:02
@JAK

You're celebrating Independence Day, after burning down our White House 194 years ago? Canadians, they hate us for our freedom! ;)

senache
07-04-2008, 16:06
I thought I'd pass this along on the 4th......

Have you ever wondered what happened
to the 56 men who signed the Declaration of Independence?
Five signers were captured by the British as traitors, and tortured before they died.
Twelve had their homes ransacked and burned.
Two lost their sons serving in the Revolutionary Army; another had two sons captured.
Nine of the 56 fought and died from wounds or hardships of the Revolutionary War.
They signed and they pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor.
What kind of men were they?

Twenty-four were lawyers and jurists.
Eleven were merchants,
nine were farmers and large plantation owners;
men of means, well educated.
But they signed the Declaration of Independence
knowing full well that the penalty would be death if they were captured.

Carter Braxton of Virginia, a wealthy planter and trader,
saw his ships swept from the seas by the British Navy.
He sold his home and properties to pay his debts, and died in rags.

Thomas McKeam was so hounded by the British
that he was forced to move his family almost constantly.
He served in the Congress without pay, and his family was kept in hiding.
His possessions were taken from him, and poverty was his reward.

Vandals or soldiers looted the properties of Dillery, Hall, Clymer,Walton,
Gwinnett, Heyward, Ruttledge, and Middleton.

At the battle of Yorktown, Thomas Nelson Jr, noted that the BritishGeneral Cornwallis
had taken over the Nelson home for his headquarters.
He quietly urged General George Washington to open fire.
The home was destroyed, and Nelson died bankrupt.
Francis Lewis had his home and properties destroyed.
The enemy jailed his wife, and she died within a few months.

John Hart was driven from his wife's bedside as she was dying.
Their 13 children fled for their lives.
His fields and his gristmill were laid to waste.
For more than a year he lived in forests and caves,
returning home to find his wife dead and his children vanished.
A few weeks later he died from exhaustion and a broken heart.
Norris and Livingston suffered similar fates.

Such were the stories and sacrifices of the American Revolution.
These were not wild-eyed, rabble-rousing ruffians.
They were soft-spoken men of means and education.
They had security, but they valued liberty more.
Standing tall, straight, and unwavering, they pledged:
"For the support of this declaration, with firm reliance
on the protection of the divine providence,
we mutually pledge to each other,
our lives, our fortunes, and our sacred honor."

They gave you and me a free and independent America.
The history books never told you a lot about what happened in the Revolutionary War.
We didn't fight just the British.
We were British subjects at that time and we fought our own government!
Some of us take these liberties so much for granted, but we shouldn't.
So, take a few minutes while enjoying your 4th of July holiday
and silently thank these patriots. It's not much to ask for the price they paid.
Remember: freedom is never free!
It's time we get the word out that patriotism is NOT a sin,
and the Fourth of July has more to it than beer, picnics, and baseball games.

JAK
07-04-2008, 16:13
@JAK

You're celebrating Independence Day, after burning down our White House 194 years ago? Canadians, they hate us for our freedom! ;)

No man. We 'hate' you with our freedom. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Stephen,_New_Brunswick
"Residents of St. Stephen and Calais often regard their community as one place, cooperating in their fire departments and other community projects. As evidence of the longtime friendship between the towns, during the War of 1812, the British military provided St. Stephen with a large supply of gunpowder for protection against the enemy Americans in Calais, but the town elders gave the gunpowder to Calais for its Fourth of July celebrations."

Odd Thomas
07-04-2008, 16:29
We didn't fight just the British.
We were British subjects at that time and we fought our own government!
Some of us take these liberties so much for granted, but we shouldn't.
So, take a few minutes while enjoying your 4th of July holiday
and silently thank these patriots. It's not much to ask for the price they paid.
Remember: freedom is never free!
It's time we get the word out that patriotism is NOT a sin,
and the Fourth of July has more to it than beer, picnics, and baseball games.

Nice article! Good stuff. Our Constitution, Liberty and Freedom should be things we're willing to give it all for, with no compromises, not even if it might help make interdepartmental paperwork easier. ;)

JAK
07-04-2008, 17:27
I still think freedom is mostly about stuff like beer, picnics, and baseball games. :)

JAK
07-04-2008, 17:42
Couldn't find any Sam Adams. Went with this stuff. It's very good.

When the Mountain Icon turns icy blue
the easy drink taste of Coors Light
is as ice cold as we meant it to be.

Cheers

saimyoji
07-04-2008, 18:01
Happy Birthday, America. Long lived, and happily weathered. :cool:

Rip it up all. :)

TOW
07-04-2008, 18:13
Senache, thanx for that post!

Storyteller56
07-04-2008, 18:26
Happy 4th to all, enjoy the liberty that allows us all to hike the AT!!

mudcap
07-04-2008, 19:00
Senache, thanx for that post!

Ditto on that,great post!