PDA

View Full Version : where to get on in August

pixel
07-04-2008, 11:40
Our daughter is leaving for college in August and as it turns out our jobs are ending at the same time. Funny how things work out sometimes. Been with the company for 10 years and the company has been around for over 20. Anyway, my question is, if my husband and I decide to get on the trail northbound at that point (without trail legs under us as we would just be starting) where should we get on so that we are able to complete the hike in time before Katahdin can't be accessed? :sun

Seems like a good opportunity to get on the trail and get our bearings since a new beginning lays in front of us.

rafe
07-04-2008, 11:51
It's an odd question. You're talking about getting on the trail at about the same time that many northbound thru hikers are finishing or within a couple of weeks from the end.

The official cutoff date for summiting Katahdin is October 15.

But realize also that New Hampshire and southern Maine have the hardest and highest climbs on the AT. A hiker just "getting their legs" would do well to get 8-12 miles per day on that stretch.

A-Train
07-04-2008, 11:58
Well, That gives you about 70 days until Katahdin "closes", so at 10mpd roughly, 700 miles before Katahdin would be around Kent Connecticut. But,I you probably wanna start a little farther north, maybe in Mass or VT somewhere.

I would suggest doing your own thing, keeping a flexible schedule, and not worrying about the thru-hikers who for many, will be in crank miles mode by that point (fighting time and weather).

If it were me, I'd go up to Katahdin and head south.

As mentioned, the 2 northern states are the most difficult and for people starting out, expect low mileage.

HikerRanky
07-04-2008, 12:02
If it were me, I'd go up to Katahdin and head south.

As mentioned, the 2 northern states are the most difficult and for people starting out, expect low mileage.

Very good advice there A-Train.... I was going to suggest the very same thing.

Randy

pixel
07-04-2008, 12:08
I like your advice of going Southbound. I don't know what my husband would think of that ... although one of the options open to us after the hike would be a move to Ft. Myers, :), so we would be heading the right direction now wouldn't we.

rafe
07-04-2008, 12:08
A-Train makes a good point; southbound from Katahdin might make more sense, provided that you have your gear in order.

Katahdin itself is serious climb, but most hikers do it with a day pack. After that, heading south, the walking is relatively easy for the next 120 miles or so. However, it's a very isolated piece of trail, so you need to be confident of your gear and hiking/camping routine.

pixel
07-04-2008, 12:25
I've been exploring the AT from the perspective of a Northbounder since about 2003 since that has always been the "dream" so to speak, but haven't really looked into what the hike is like for a Southbounder. Would the end of August be a good time to get on the AT in Maine? I think I've heard something about a "fly season"? Can someone give me somewhat of a quick outline of what to expect as a Southbounder and how it should be best attempted? My husband and I aren't really in the best of shape this year - mostly been focused on getting our girl ready for college so far this winter/spring/summer. Hiking has definitely been put on the back burner.

rafe
07-04-2008, 12:38
August and September are ideal for hiking New England. "Fly season" is over, and temperatures are coming down off their summer peaks.

Any way you slice it, a "typical" AT thru hike is 4 to 5 months. So if you start in August, you're going to be finishing around December-January in Georgia, and walking through the fall and early winter. You can certainly expect snow and cold rain along the way.

Late June, early July is actually "peak season" for southbound AT starts -- mostly limited by insects, muddy trail, and high rivers and streams from snowmelt.

A-Train
07-04-2008, 12:47
It sounds like you're not ready, physically, or with planning, to thru-hike this year. Why not use August and the fall to get your feet wet and take a long "practice hike". I'd start in the lower New England area, or NY and head south for as long as you guys have fun, walking with autumn.

Then prepare for a NOBO for next March or April, or go back and fill in the section you didn't hike.

Katahdin and Maine will be a tall order for people not in shape and if you have dreams of walking to Springer, this is probably too late to start anyway.

best

WalkingStick75
07-04-2008, 18:26
IMO.... I would do a SOBO say Pen Mar Park, good section to get your legs. I would set my sights for GA this year then next year do a NOBO from Pen Mar Park. Both north and south of Pen Mar offer a good section to get your walking legs.

Enjoy your hike, whatever you decide.

modiyooch
07-04-2008, 20:31
I would go ahead and start this August as planned. I would start in Maine and head South. Save the trail that is closer to home for some future or shorter trips. I love hiking Maine in August.
My friend has a house for sale in Naples, FL. Would love for her to sell it so she can move to NC