PDA

View Full Version : Thru-in the SNP

GolfHiker
07-04-2008, 12:13
I just completed an 8 day northbound thru of the park. 6/23-7/1. Great weather ( no daytime rain), good companions ( almost all NOBOs), minimal tick activity, space in the huts, good water sources, comfortable temps, good views, lots of wildlife ( 7 bear sightings, too many deer to count), all round good time. As noted elsewhere in these threads, the waysides are convenient, but the much anticipated & discussed Blackberry Milkshakes were a huge dissapointment. No one who had one was too pleased at the ice cream ( smooth), blackberrys ( syrup) & cost ($4.00+).:mad: What a shame they can't really make these special. Oh well, the hike was fantastic. The thrus all thought the terrain was easy, but I found respect for all the ups & downs, and felt I'd worked hard at the end. I'm just sorry I had to return to the world. :(

rafe
07-04-2008, 12:17
I only had one of those blackberry shakes -- it was at Elkwallow wayside, I think. What the heck, I sure enjoyed it!!! Yummm.

NICKTHEGREEK
07-04-2008, 12:57
I just completed an 8 day northbound thru of the park. 6/23-7/1. Great weather ( no daytime rain), good companions ( almost all NOBOs), minimal tick activity, space in the huts, good water sources, comfortable temps, good views, lots of wildlife ( 7 bear sightings, too many deer to count), all round good time. As noted elsewhere in these threads, the waysides are convenient, but the much anticipated & discussed Blackberry Milkshakes were a huge dissapointment. No one who had one was too pleased at the ice cream ( smooth), blackberrys ( syrup) & cost ($4.00+).:mad: What a shame they can't really make these special. Oh well, the hike was fantastic. The thrus all thought the terrain was easy, but I found respect for all the ups & downs, and felt I'd worked hard at the end. I'm just sorry I had to return to the world. :(
Keep in mind that fuel costs are thru the roof and supplies coming into SNP aren't air dropped. $4.00 for a shake in the middle of the "wilderness" is less than I pay at Baskin-Robbins

funkcicle
07-04-2008, 15:30
Gonna thru SNP sobo from Front Royal in less than 2 weeks.. can't wait!! Any not-to-miss highlights or words of wisdom to share?

Wake
07-04-2008, 17:31
Gonna thru SNP sobo from Front Royal in less than 2 weeks.. can't wait!! Any not-to-miss highlights or words of wisdom to share?

I might be hiking very close to you! I'm all set for a SOBO of SNP myself, just waiting for my work schedule to clear up enough.

funkcicle
07-04-2008, 18:19
I'm going out on the 14th.. I have a ladyfriend hiking the 1st day with me and she wants to see Dark Hollow Falls, so I may end up skipping ahead and starting from (near) there, which'll save me some hitching on the tail end of this leg (I have 12 days to get to Floyd VA). Wicked excited, can't wait can't wait.

GolfHiker
07-04-2008, 21:36
funkcickle: No real words of wisdom. As for trail company, most of us were going north, with almost no traffic going south. Too early for sobo thrus, and we just did not have many SNP thrus ( only saw 1), or section hikers. I guess this means you may see others at the hut, but only in passing. Good luck, have fun, enjoy!

Cookerhiker
07-05-2008, 16:49

Camp on top of HighTop Mountain (there's a spring up there) instead of the shelter. Catch a great sunset from the rocks just off the trail.

Fat Man Walking
07-06-2008, 23:26
Leaving Jackson on Thursday, July 24th for a two week (well ok 16 days on the trail) section from Bearwallow Gap to Harper's Ferry. Will be in the park starting at Loft MT on or about the 1st of August. And, like you, Funk, I am extremely excited. My wife swears I've been on the trail for a month now.

Alligator
07-07-2008, 08:44
Camp on top of HighTop Mountain (there's a spring up there) instead of the shelter. Catch a great sunset from the rocks just off the trail.We were using that as a backup plan if the Hut area was full, as I had read your previous post on the subject. We saw the area the next morning and were kicking ourselves. It would have been a great sunset:sun.

Blissful
07-09-2008, 22:34
Glad you had fun. :)

JacobColker
07-10-2008, 20:25
Hi everyone,

I am planning to do this soon, and I am looking for people. Please pass this around.

My name is Jacob Colker, and I am trying to find people to go with me on an 11-12 day hike. The original plan was to hike through the entire Shenandoah National Park (107.4 miles), south to north, starting near Waynesboro, VA and heading north to Front Royal, VA, but I am pretty flexible.

Here is the story: I took two weeks off from work, upgraded my gear, and got all pumped up, and then unfortunately my hiking buddy had an issue come up and he wont be able to make it. So, I am trying to make this work despite the big let-down.

I am free starting Saturday August 23 through Sunday September 7 (16 days total). 16-days is my window and I am looking to do the entire SNP in about 12-13 within that time frame.

If you are going to consider spending two weeks with me, you should know a little bit about me:

I am 25 years old, grew up in Chicago, played in rock bands for several years before getting into politics. I spent the last 3 years driving around the country working on political campaigns before settling down in DC to go back to grad school (I am at John Hopkins University for a Masters in Communication). I am currently the campaigns manager for the International Campaign for Tibet (an NGO that supports the human rights efforts of His Holiness the Dalai Lama). I am laid back, in good shape, and I have great gear.

If you are interested in exploring the possibility of this adventure with me, email me!

Thanks everyone.

Jacob Colker
[email protected]

CherrypieScout
07-11-2008, 14:45
:sunLooks like I'll have company in SNP over the next couple of weeks. We will be southbound, going on down past Waynesboro.

Cookerhiker
07-11-2008, 16:27
I'll be weedwacking my section over HighTop Mountain in the Southern District Thursday & Friday next week.

funkcicle
07-21-2008, 12:01
made it out at Rockfish yesterday, SNP is beautiful. Met at least a dozen late thrus, camped up on Hightop, had a beautiful moonlit walk through the burnt woods down to blackrock hut.. Saw 7 bear, two babies romped right past me me like puppies on the Mooreman River trail(which I took to avoid the drought between blackrock and calf mtn).. a few big bucks, 2 snakes, one possible cougar near Bearfence hut. So many wild berries I haven't needed breakfast!

Dropped 3 pounds in the hiker box at the Quality Inn in Waynesboro and mailed another 7 home(thanks to NOBO Alf and Larry from TN for helping me repack!). 10 pounds lighter and I still got my geeTar! Just finished brunch at Weasies and am heading back into the woods..trail looks a bit steeper south of here!

Cookerhiker
07-21-2008, 12:56
made it out at Rockfish yesterday, SNP is beautiful. Met at least a dozen late thrus, camped up on Hightop, had a beautiful moonlit walk through the burnt woods down to blackrock hut.. Saw 7 bear, two babies romped right past me me like puppies on the Mooreman River trail(which I took to avoid the drought between blackrock and calf mtn).. a few big bucks, 2 snakes, one possible cougar near Bearfence hut. So many wild berries I haven't needed breakfast!

Dropped 3 pounds in the hiker box at the Quality Inn in Waynesboro and mailed another 7 home(thanks to NOBO Alf and Larry from TN for helping me repack!). 10 pounds lighter and I still got my geeTar! Just finished brunch at Weasies and am heading back into the woods..trail looks a bit steeper south of here!

We must have just missed each other. I spent Wed & Thurs at HighTop Hut basecamping while weedwacking from the Hut north to Skyline Drive.

Fat Man Walking
07-21-2008, 21:16
I'll be hitting the Trail on Friday and hope to be in the Park on August 1. I'll get a shuttle from Waynesboro after coming in that morning from Paul Wolfe Shelter up to Loft MT. after running a few errands in W'boro. Did the Rockfish to Loft Mt. last summer. Maybe I'll see you there.

Also, Maybe I'll run into Funkcicle headed south. I'm starting at Bearwallow Gap headed North.

Anyway, have you heard anything on water Between Bearwallow and Waynesboro? I've heard both no problem and it will be a problem.

Thanks

Cookerhiker
07-22-2008, 11:19
....Anyway, have you heard anything on water Between Bearwallow and Waynesboro? I've heard both no problem and it will be a problem.

Thanks

No, sorry but I have no idea. I believe that there's been sufficient rain thus far this season to keep the springs flowing but I really don't know. Hopefully someone who lives closer will chime in.

Blissful
07-22-2008, 11:34
VA around SNP is pretty dry right now with the intense heat and no t-storms. I was surprised how low one of the bigger rivers in SNP (Big Run) was yesterday, indictative of low water on the ridgeline. Hopefully will get something today and tomorrow. Then cooler later in the week.

Just Plain Jim
07-22-2008, 16:22
I hiked the SNP in 2006. We stopped at the Wayside at Big Meadows and had the berry shake [great syrup] with a big cheeseburger [I just can't eat frozen fries]:eek: Another hiker joined us and ordered the same thing. After we finished and were leaving, he decided to sit back down and order the same thing again and ate it all.Ha!

funkcicle
07-24-2008, 16:21
south end of SNP was pretty dry while I went through, but we got a bit of rain the last 2 nights so I dunno if that's still the case. cookerhiker- mustve missed you by a few hours, was on the Mtn Tuesday night, had brunch at the hut weds morning.