PDA

View Full Version : Furnace Creek & Pocahontas campsites (PA)

brianos
07-04-2008, 18:17
I'm planning a weekend loop hike around the Pinnacle & thinking of using either the Furnace Creek or Pocahontas campsites shown on the PA section 4 map. I read on some other threads about camping restrictions in this area due to watershed lands. Any recent experiences to share?

shelterbuilder
07-04-2008, 21:31
I'm planning a weekend loop hike around the Pinnacle & thinking of using either the Furnace Creek or Pocahontas campsites shown on the PA section 4 map. I read on some other threads about camping restrictions in this area due to watershed lands. Any recent experiences to share?

First, as regards parking at the Hamburg Reservoir parking lot: pay a visit to the Hamburg Borough secretary during regular business hours and get permission to park your vehicle there (if parking here is part of your plan). It takes 5 minutes, and it WILL save you from getting a parking ticket. Of course, if you're coming in from Port Clinton, disregard this warning!

It has been years since I used the Furnace Creek campground (which, if I recall correctly, was set up more for campers than for hikers), so no advice there, but the Windsor Furnace shelter is just up the trail from the parking lot. Water (either from the spring or from Furnace Creek itself, which is the water supply for Hamburg), toilet, shelter for 8-10, several campsites. The shelter and surrounding area is now owned by the National Park Service; if you camp INSIDE of the bright yellow boundary blazes, you'll be legal. Camping at the Pocahantas spring/campsite also should not be a problem, and the water there is good.

Camping is NOT allowed at Pulpit Rocks, the Pinnacle, or anywhere along the AT on watershed property. Hamburg is justifyably paranoid about this: if someone starts a wildfire in watershed lands, it will adversely impact the borough's only water source area. Pollution is also one of the borough's concerns.

Have a great trip!

brianos
08-18-2008, 19:02
thanks for the info!