PDA

View Full Version : Big Bald Mountain access

Tennessee Viking
07-04-2008, 23:43
Does any know if the Wolf Laurel community allows car access through the community up to Big Bald & Big Stamp, or is it only open to maintainers and Wolf Laurel residents? I want to take some of my friends there, but they don't want to hike those 6 rough miles in.

joec
07-05-2008, 09:57
I drove in a couple of years ago with my wife just by saying that we wanted to look at the community. We looked around, and also rode up to the top and did a short hike up to the top of the bald. I heard they had clamped down on allowing that, but do not know for sure.

Tennessee Viking
07-05-2008, 10:38
I can probably get away telling Wolf Laurel its for historical research since they are a bunch of historians looking into the story of Hermit Greer.

Tenderheart
07-05-2008, 14:00
I was all set to show my wife Big Bald and Big Stamp by car last year when we suddenly came to a gated community. The attendant was very nice but adamant that only residents could enter. Sorry! The 5.5 miles are not that tough. Of course, everything is relative.

litefoot 2000

Tennessee Viking
07-05-2008, 14:26
I was all set to show my wife Big Bald and Big Stamp by car last year when we suddenly came to a gated community. The attendant was very nice but adamant that only residents could enter. Sorry! The 5.5 miles are not that tough. Of course, everything is relative.

litefoot 2000I figure Wolf Laurel is going to be bunch of grumps and say no.

My friends are not the hiking type. But when I was there in April on first section hike in about 6 months, I started out late, packing heavy, allergies were flairing, the air was very humid to the top, water leaking out of my bladder, twisted my ankle and leg cramps on the way up. I had the luck for the day. The hardest part for me was the rock section from the Wolf Laurel access to the top. I was such a laughable sight that night at the shelter.

Now if I was day hiking, it would probably been easier.

gold bond
07-05-2008, 22:22
If you know someone that has a rental there or owns a house there you can use their name. Otherwise you'll have to park at Sams Gap and hike in. We ski there once a year and we take about 70 people and they still wouldn't let us in. Guess money ain't everything to them!