PDA

View Full Version : Zip together Sleeping bags- lightweight

dizzanv
02-23-2004, 16:19
Does anyone know of any lightweight mummy sleeping bags that can zip together ,for sleeping close to the loved one? Or, what are some alternatives?
What do other people do when they hike with their significant other and wanna sleep close?

Dances with Mice
02-23-2004, 16:27
Does anyone know of any lightweight mummy sleeping bags that can zip together ,for sleeping close to the loved one? Or, what are some alternatives?
What do other people do when they hike with their significant other and wanna sleep close?

I can only recommend what has worked best for me....

Wait until you're in town, in a motel, in a real bed, and after you've both showered.

gravityman
02-23-2004, 17:30
The Western Mountaineering Ultralight Bags zip together. There is a small hole that is left near the feet which needs to be stuffed with socks to prevent drafts when it gets down to 20 degrees or so. When we really get cold we put both on top of us and just pull it down tight around us.

Gravity Man

PS You need to get right and left zip bags as a pair...

DebW
02-23-2004, 17:54
Be sure you test this option before you hit the trail with it. The 2 times my husband and I zipped together I froze all night (of course he slept like a log). Two bags zipper together turned out to have enough volume for 3 people to fit inside, and lacking a 3rd person, it was way too much space to heat. Combined with the big air hole between the bodies that let cold air in all night. It might be a good weight-saving solution if you had a threesome. :eek:

hungryhowie
02-23-2004, 19:44

If you are inclined to sew your own, my latest quilt design incorporates a zip-together option for coupling. It's similar to the old design, but includes a reworked footbox, full-length draft tubes, and will contour around the shoulders to keep you warmer. Plans should be available in a month or so. If time is a concern, I can give you guidance based on the previous design's plans.

For more info, go to www.newsushi.net/quilt.html

-Howie

Moose2001
02-24-2004, 08:05
I saw a couple in the Smokies that was using a SweetiePie Bag Doubler. It's basiclly a piece of material with a zipper side on each of the outside edges. The zipper side on the bag doubler zips into the zipper on the sleeping bag. So what it does is make the sleeping bag larger. The bottom of the sleeping bag is now the bag doubler.

Can't tell you how well it works. The couple I saw using it loved it and said it really worked well. I would point out the couple I saw using it weren't very large people. I'd really have to wonder how well it would work for a couple of larger size.

JEB
02-24-2004, 12:18
. . . will zip together. You can even zip together a a L-zipper Regular with a R-zipper short.
Many people find that they are warmer when sleeping in a "doubled" bag. The reduction in surface-to-volume ratio is one explanatory theory, and the other theory is obvious.

Sniker
03-02-2004, 06:04
A rather pricey option that my girlfriend and I have opted for is Nunatak's Back Country Blankets (www.nuntakusa.com). We're tall, so our BCBs are sized long and clad in Epic by Nextec. Even so, they weigh in at just 29 oz. each. The great thing about the BCBs other than their extreme versatility and variable temp range is their ability to mate into one two person sleep system. One blanket goes on the bottom and the other works like a comforter. Velcro up both sides holds the blankets together.

Although we have not yet received our Back Counrty Blankets, we look forwward to their arrival any week now. Tom from Nunatak tells me that this is the system he and his wife employ and I will report back on the systems performance jus as soon as we have the chance.