PDA

View Full Version : should I do it

undergroundnathan
07-05-2008, 13:24
I have a job offer down in cedar rapids iowa,but I get social security.If I took the job ,I would loss my social security in that time.Yet I would clear about 2,ooo thousand dollars a month.After I was done I would be able to get my social securty back.I would be able to save enough to come back to the appalachain trai and atempt a through hike again and have plenty of money left over.I was wondering if you all had any advice on if I should do it.Im thinking about it stroungly and I think Im going to look into it.Pleas give me your input on this. Thank you, sincerly underground.

Lone Wolf
07-05-2008, 13:27
as long as you can collect your SS again, sure, go for it

oops56
07-05-2008, 14:01
I have a job offer down in cedar rapids iowa,but I get social security.If I took the job ,I would loss my social security in that time.Yet I would clear about 2,ooo thousand dollars a month.After I was done I would be able to get my social securty back.I would be able to save enough to come back to the appalachain trai and atempt a through hike again and have plenty of money left over.I was wondering if you all had any advice on if I should do it.Im thinking about it stroungly and I think Im going to look into it.Pleas give me your input on this. Thank you, sincerly underground.
Check with ss i just got a latter saying in October i can make all i wont and no taxes i am 65-3/4

Yahtzee
07-05-2008, 14:12
The questions are: Do you like to work? Do you like the job offered? The people you will be working with? Cedar Rapids? If no to any of these, no amount of monetary offset will keep you from thinking about the AT every second your mind is unoccupied.

Money is something, but it's not the only thing. Hope you make the right call.

Tennessee Viking
07-05-2008, 14:13
Got a job offer in CR...I thought it was still recovering from the flood waters.

Lone Wolf
07-05-2008, 14:17
Got a job offer in CR...I thought it was still recovering from the flood waters.

probably has something to do with the flood

Alligator
07-05-2008, 14:22
If the loss of SS isn't a problem, as you stated, what specifically are your other concerns with taking the job?

MOWGLI
07-05-2008, 15:01
For those of you who don't know Nathan, here is an article about him from last fall;

http://americanhiking.chattablogs.com/archives/063610.html

I wish you luck Nathan!

4eyedbuzzard
07-05-2008, 15:37
Like others have said, as long as it doesn't jeopardize your SSI or SSDI(I assume you're on disability as you're only 47).

I'd just be concerned about demonstrating the capacity to perform Substantial Gainful Activity. If you have the capacity to earn $2000 net per month at a job, and aren't limited in a major life capacity (do you live, and hike, and take care of yourself on your own?), it could raise certain questions.

I'd talk to my attorney about it before doing so.

mudcap
07-05-2008, 16:14
Nathan,Whatever you decide...I wish you luck.

Bulldawg
07-05-2008, 16:35
For those of you who don't know Nathan, here is an article about him from last fall;

http://americanhiking.chattablogs.com/archives/063610.html

I wish you luck Nathan!

Nice article. I would say absolutely positively go for it. What a neat sounding guy. I am so glad he found God in the woods. I feel like the trail, any trail, is my church and my solitude. I hope he does well.

Summit
07-05-2008, 17:23
Billy,

If the work is rewarding, it might make you feel really good, + as you said, make it possible for you to fund a long hike. Think long and hard and pray about it and follow your heart! ;)

River Runner
07-05-2008, 20:32
If you are able to work at a job paying $2000 per month, by all means go for it, and please don't go back on Social Security if you're able to work gainfully.

The downside is what happens to your medical coverage? Will you have medical coverage on the job?

modiyooch
07-05-2008, 20:49
the topic is hiking; not ss

modiyooch
07-05-2008, 20:51
it's always nice to be back on the trail.

4eyedbuzzard
07-05-2008, 21:25
the topic is hiking; not ss

I can't speak for others who may have directly questioned the OP's SS eligiblity, as I did not, but the OP presented a situation where there is the potential of losing SSI or SSDI benefits if he chooses to work for a while and then go hiking. The OP brought up the complication of the SS issue, and regardless if he thinks he'll automatically get it back, he should really be askingthis question of his attorney.

While the OP appears to have a disability, it is hardly unusual that working people who pay into the SS system would question how it is that a person having a work capacity and capable of earning a NET $2000/mo, can work, save up money, then go back on disabilty, and then (from the limited info presented here), thru-hike the AT while collecting disabilty. Without knowing details, I'd say on the surface it sure raises a lot of questions, whether you think so not.

As the OP is the one that presented his SS status as part and parcel of his hike, and then asked if he should do it, I'd say it's certainly part of the topic.

Yahtzee
07-05-2008, 21:35
The mod could have been more specfic by saying the topic was the practicalities of SS not the validity of the SS system. The deleted posts, mine included, touched upon the validity of accepting SS benefits. But we got the picture. It does seem that some people still have a hard time injecting not their own values into answers to fairly straightforward questions.

And other, such as myself, have a hard time not responding. Bad habits....

Alligator
07-05-2008, 21:54
That was a very good way to put it Yahtzee. Thanks.

The thread definitely needs to steer away from why we have the program. That certainly wasn't part of his question.

Bob S
07-05-2008, 22:37
You know a strait forward answer to a question may not always be the best answer. A lot of times the person answering a question has life experiences that can help the questioner get a good information-filled answer. But the somewhat heavy handed deleting of a post doesn’t allow for a very good exchange of information. And isn’t that what this BBS is supposed to do?

As far as doing the job will you loose medical coverage while doing the job? How’s your health, any pending medical problems you should take care of before you go off SS? And when back on SS will you loose any benefits that have been accumulated?

I know little about SS, but it’s worth knowing this before you jump.

4eyedbuzzard
07-05-2008, 22:47
undergroundnathan,

Please talk to your attorney before deciding on doing this.

modiyooch
07-05-2008, 22:49
But the somewhat heavy handed deleting of a post doesn’t allow for a very good exchange of information.

The post deleted, mine included, needed to be deleted. It was not a good exchange of information.

Bob S
07-05-2008, 22:50
undergroundnathan,

Please talk to your attorney before deciding on doing this.

I would think most attorneys know little about SS. It would be good to seek one out that specializes in SS.

Any good atorney will tell you to do this.

Alligator
07-05-2008, 23:01
You know a strait forward answer to a question may not always be the best answer. A lot of times the person answering a question has life experiences that can help the questioner get a good information-filled answer. But the somewhat heavy handed deleting of a post doesn’t allow for a very good exchange of information. And isn’t that what this BBS is supposed to do?
...The posts were deleted because they weren't answering his questions. It's my call to make, please see TOS #16.

Alligator
07-05-2008, 23:18
This guy is not going to get ganged up on for being on disability.

modiyooch
07-05-2008, 23:21
me thinks that Underground just really wants to get back on the trail. It doesn't have to be a long trip. A short trip is better than no trip. Can we provide him transportation? Then he doesn't have to jeopardize his current setup, or seek legal counsel. Sound like Underground made alot of friends when he was on the trail before.

Appalachian Tater
07-05-2008, 23:24
Go for it!

modiyooch
07-05-2008, 23:25
Go for it!I'm willing, but I need help.

Yahtzee
07-05-2008, 23:28

As far as doing the job will you loose medical coverage while doing the job? How’s your health, any pending medical problems you should take care of before you go off SS? And when back on SS will you loose any benefits that have been accumulated?

I know little about SS, but it’s worth knowing this before you jump.

I agree totally that tangential info can sometimes be worthwhile, however, what was deleted wasn't information but opinion as to the morality of accepting SS. The threadstarter didn't need to know a poster's personal opinion on the morality of the SS system, I am sure they can work that out for themselves. So, I think it is a bit of a stretch to say that deletion of posts regarding off-topic opinion is "heavy handed".

Just supplying some info.http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif

BitBucket
07-13-2009, 23:21
Hey Nathan

did you ever get to go on your hike this summer? I was out in Yellowstone National Park last week hiking up Mt. Washburn and thought about you and wondered if you got to go on your hike this summer??

I didn't get to go on my earlier AT hike because my buddy Bill had to have back surgery in early June...he's doing much better now and we're going to try and go in September when it cools off a bit over in Georgia...

Hope all is well with you... Remember to keep the faith and take life's trails one step at a time....

...BitBucket

Reid
07-13-2009, 23:28
That was a good little article about you, especially the part about how you got your trail name.

bluffhead
07-14-2009, 05:14
it only took me 25 years to figure out money has no value in life.

fredmugs
07-14-2009, 08:25
The mod could have been more specfic by saying the topic was the practicalities of SS not the validity of the SS system. The deleted posts, mine included, touched upon the validity of accepting SS benefits. But we got the picture. It does seem that some people still have a hard time injecting not their own values into answers to fairly straightforward questions.

And other, such as myself, have a hard time not responding. Bad habits....

If true I find it disturbing that selected posts have been deleted. This post is 100% about a guy that has figured out a way to live off the system when he wants to. Look at me: I'm disabled until a good job comes along but when that's over I want to be disabled again.

Pathetic. This entire thread should be deleted.

Mother Nature
07-14-2009, 08:59
Nathan,

I can sense your excitement at finding means to get back out on the trail! The advice about checking into your return to SS is very important.

My sister has a life situation where she was collecting SS but was forced to find a job to pay additional medical bills not sufficiently covered by SS and Medicare. She was assured she could return to SS/Medicare if she was unable to continue working. She couldn't sustain employment and it has taken a year to recollect the SS and she is still working on getting back her Medicare coverage. I know her situation and your situation is like comparing apples and oranges but just want to be sure you are protected from any large gaps in coverage later.

If it will all work out for you, hope we see you on the trail soon! It has been a long time my friend. We will be in Massachusetts and Vermont in Aug and Sept.

Thinking of you.

rootball
07-14-2009, 09:20
You can get off social security - and you want to know if you should. Sorry dude, but no sympathy here. If you can pay your own way, then why would you not want to? Remember this - dependence on goverment programs empowers the man.

Black Power!!

http://i.infopls.com/images/blackpower.jpg

Nean
07-14-2009, 10:02
Nathan - whats up?! I say-Go for it. :banana
For those making comments to the negative, well they just don't understand your situation.:( I wonder how loud they would speak out standing in your shoes. Don't let that stuff bother you. I'd make that $ if possible but you don't want to put yourself in a bad long term situation for a quick short term job.

One way or another, sooner or later, you will be back -ON THE TRAIL!:D

kythruhiker
07-14-2009, 10:10
Nathan,

Yes, take the job, then find another one, and another one, etc... until you find a decent long-term job. Save up bucks and hike when money and employment allows. I'm not sure why, if you can be gainfully be employed for $2000/mos, even short-term, you'd even consider going back on SSI/SSDI. Suck it up and live off your own hard work, it might be a rewarding experience.

I do wish you the best.

Alligator
07-14-2009, 10:17
Thread is a year old, the situation is resolved one way or the other.