PDA

View Full Version : Blanket for warm weather?

gmu
02-24-2004, 00:26
So, I'm considering dropping my 20 degree down bag when I get to VA in May and opting for a lightweight, quick-drying blanket. I recently saw such a blanket(can't remember the name) in REI that packs down to around 4x6 inches and is fairly light.

What do you all think about this grand idea? Are there other ways to cut the weight of the down bag for the warmer weather without spending a fortune on a summer bag?

Moose2001
02-24-2004, 08:00
GMU...the blanket is certainly an option. I've seen a number of hikers who switched over to fleece bags/blankets. Before you decide to do that, I'd suggest you think about how you sleep. Are you a warm sleeper or a cold sleeper? May/June in VA can still have some chilly nights. If you're a warm sleeper, you might be ok with a blanket/fleece bag and clothes on. If not, you could have some very uncomfortable nights.

Since I'm a cold sleeper I opted for a summer weight sleeping bag. I found a Kelty Lightyear 45 degree down bag. It weighs in a just a tad over 2 pounds, works well as a blanket if it's warm but I can still zip it close to stay toasty on those chilly nights.

Good Luck...stay warm.

Peaks
02-24-2004, 08:50
I think a fleece blanket is a good idea on warm nights. However, check the record lows for Virginia in May before starting to use it. I suspect that you will do just fine in June and July, but May might be pushing things a little bit.

Jaybird
02-24-2004, 09:09
So, I'm considering dropping my 20 degree down bag when I get to VA in May and opting for a lightweight, quick-drying blanket. ...........................................

it DOES get cold in those Virginia mountains in May...(i lived there in the '70s & did some "overnighters" in the Blue Ridge around Waynesboro area)

a lightweight fleece "throw" (blanket) would suffice...but i would suggest & even lighter solution:.....why not just use an emergency blanket?????
its approx 1 to 2 oz total...packs to the size of a deck of cards.

good luck on your hike. :p

see ya'll UP the trail!

Youngblood
02-24-2004, 09:22
I didn't try the fleece sleeping bag on my thru in 2000, but I hiked with some who did and found they didn't stay warm enough. It is still cool enough to try out your warm weather bag and see at what temperatures you are comfortable with it. How about getting it and trying it out, then you will have a much better idea. It is sometimes better to find out about this where you are in a position to abort, go back inside and get nice & warm.

I have a $10 WalMart fleece bag that I keep around the house for a winter comforter when I lounge around on the sofa. I get a little cool with it when the thermasat kicks back to 60 degrees. For what is is worth, the fleece bag I have weighs about double what my 40 degree Western Mountaineering HiLite summer sleeping bag weighs... but the WM bag is $200+.

Youngblood

Frosty
02-24-2004, 09:32
but i would suggest & even lighter solution:.....why not just use an emergency blanket?????
its approx 1 to 2 oz total...packs to the size of a deck of cards.

Have you ever actually used one of these things?

Taking one of these and expecting to use it regularly is ludicrous.

It may work for the first night without ripping to shreds. The remaining nights until you hit the next town you will be sleeping with your clothes laid over you, along with long shreds of incredibly thin (but lightweight!) foil.

I had a couple of these. After I used one once, I bought a much heavier foil blanket with a tarp-like backing. It is what I carry when winter hiking.

Those tiny ones are better than nothing in an emergency, but not much better. I guess they work better is space capsules than in the woods. One sneeze and they rip.

Rain Man
02-24-2004, 09:44
So, I'm considering dropping my 20 degree down bag when I get to VA in May and opting for a lightweight, quick-drying blanket. ... What do you all think about this grand idea? Are there other ways to cut the weight of the down bag for the warmer weather without spending a fortune on a summer bag?

I have in the back of my mind that I'd be happier throwing such a blanket on the ground to sit and lay on at lunch time and during breaks, whereas I'd be hesitant to treat a good sleeping bag that way.

Having said that, during our mini-section hike in GA in August, two of our 4-person party complained of being chilly using that kind of blanket. Two of us had bags (I had an REI 45-degree bag) and two had those blankets.

BTW, due to rain showers and a cold finger of air reaching down into north GA, the high during our August hike was actually lower than the high during my dry November mini-section hike to finish up GA, if you can believe that!

Rain Man

jojo0425
02-24-2004, 10:43
I have to agree, consider how you sleep and consider taking long johns just in case.

Last summer, June, I came up with the same idea and carried a fleece bag only. Unfortunately it got cold up in those GA Appalachians and one night I was sure I was going to freeze to death.

I learned 2 lessons: 1. Always carry a fleece hat, gloves and long johns, even in the summer and 2. Always have a sleeping bag. (for me anyway, I sleep cold)

REI makes a 45 degree bag that is only $99 that weighs about 1#

hungryhowie
02-24-2004, 11:00
So, I'm considering dropping my 20 degree down bag when I get to VA in May and opting for a lightweight, quick-drying blanket. I recently saw such a blanket(can't remember the name) in REI that packs down to around 4x6 inches and is fairly light.

What do you all think about this grand idea? Are there other ways to cut the weight of the down bag for the warmer weather without spending a fortune on a summer bag?

I knew several people who tried the fleece bag thing. Most regretted it almost immediately and had their normal bags sent right back (or bought new summer bags in towns instead).

Another option to the lightweight summer bags (like the Western Mountaineering Highlight 40*F 18oz, etc) is a homemade bag/quilt. Quilts are especially wonderful in the summertime, when you can bundle up during cooler nights, and really stretch out during those warmer ones.

They have no heavy zippers, or confined spaces, and can pack down really really small. You could sew a summer-weight quilt that weighed ~16-18oz for ~$100-$120. If you're interested, instructions and links to resources can be found online at www.newsushi.net/quilt.html

-Howie

SGT Rock
02-24-2004, 11:06
I have seen a lot of people sucked in by the fleece bag. I have never been warm in one ever. I would reccomend either making your own down quilt or buying a thinsulat poncho liner.

Sniker
03-02-2004, 06:19
Okay, so I'm a bit of a Nunatak fan. I admit it. Here's the latest news hot off the presses. Nunatak has redesigned the Ghost Blanket for 2004. Apparently, it has a more efficient shape and a redesigned footbox (like on the Arc Alpinist). This blanket is rated at 32 degree and has straps like the Arc Alpinist, but less fill. In size long with Epic fabric, it weighs 19 oz. That's right there with my 40 degree Western Mountaineering Highlite, but with more flexability for stomach and side sleepers (and maybe more range?).

My other new bag for colder climes is Nunatak's 20 degree/29 oz. Back Country Blanket (also extremely versatile). I plan on using the two blankets together for winter use. Even carried together, the Ghost Blanket and the Back Country Blanket (both size long in Epic) weigh just 3 pounds.

Life is better in a blanket!

Kozmic Zian
03-02-2004, 10:09
;) Yea......Quilt. 6oz....compresses to softball size. Buy at Department Stores. Made by Woolrich....relatively cheap....Good Stuff for Summer....Down Filled, covered in Silk....Probably keep you warm in the lower 40's-upper 30's. I have't tried it yet, but intend to. Bought it for a throw around the house. Warm Sleeping....KZ@

p.s. If you click, it will blow up a bit.

Youngblood
03-02-2004, 10:24
;) Yea......Quilt. 6oz....compresses to softball size. Buy at Department Stores. Made by Woolrich....relatively cheap....Good Stuff for Summer....Down Filled, covered in Silk....Probably keep you warm in the lower 40's-upper 30's. I have't tried it yet, but intend to. Bought it for a throw around the house. Warm Sleeping....KZ@

p.s. If you click, it will blow up a bit.

KZ, that sounds too good to be true? Would you mind rechecking the weight and making some measurements on length, width and loft?

Thanks,
Youngblood

Kozmic Zian
03-02-2004, 10:47
Yea......Lets See. Just walked it off, 4'x6', couldn't weigh 10oz. Neat trick! it.