PDA

View Full Version : 32000 miles and still hiking!

Mrs Baggins
07-06-2008, 13:21
My dad sent me this article from the newspaper, the Press Democrat, Santa Rosa CA. He thinks I should try to catch up to this guy in miles:eek:

http://www1.pressdemocrat.com/article/20080630/WIRE/806300365

drastic_quench
07-06-2008, 15:24
I read the first line as "In the southern Sierra Nevada, an old man with an untamed bear hikes a familiar trail". I was pretty shocked for a second.

Odd Thomas
07-06-2008, 15:34
Warren Doyle's about 1 AT thru behind. :)

Pedaling Fool
07-06-2008, 18:15
I like hiking, but that's too much walking for me.

jesse
07-06-2008, 20:29
... He thinks I should try to catch up to this guy in miles:eek:

Another 31,000 and change, and I will.

Sly
07-06-2008, 22:22
Warren Doyle's about 1 AT thru behind. :)

WD's mostly only knows the words to one song, while Billy Goat has hiked the AT, PCT, and CDT multiple times along with the Florida Trail. :D

A-Train
07-06-2008, 23:30
WD's mostly only knows the words to one song, while Billy Goat has hiked the AT, PCT, and CDT multiple times along with the Florida Trail. :D

And he doesn't use a computer.

warren doyle
07-07-2008, 16:43

My song list also includes:

John Muir Trail (twice)
Wonderland Trail
Pennine Way
Long Trail (five times)

Sly
07-07-2008, 16:44
LOL.. just teasing. Wish I had half your miles. Getting close

Lone Wolf
07-07-2008, 16:46

so. he has the time and money. it's just walking

Sly
07-07-2008, 16:48

Yeah, yeah, like I said, just yanking WD's chain. Bad move on my part.

A-Train
07-07-2008, 16:52
My song list also includes:

John Muir Trail (twice)
Wonderland Trail
Pennine Way
Long Trail (five times)

Why haven't you learned the lyrics to the PCT or CDT?

MOWGLI
07-07-2008, 16:53

Sacrilege! :p

If I had $1,000,000, I'd buy a new butt. Mine has a crack in it.

Personally, if I had the time and money, I'd probably rarely hke the same trail twice. There are too many trails out there that I want to hike. My top 5 includes;

Wonderland Trail
CDT through Wind River Range and The Bob
Long Trail north of Killington
Southern half of Northville Placid Trail (walked northern half already)
Tahoe Rim
Cohoes Trail
International AT in Quebec
PCT
The 400 miles of the Colorado Trail I haven't hiked

OK, so that's more than 5. :D

rafe
07-07-2008, 18:04
I can see both points of view -- hiking the same trail over, or hiking a new trail when possible. I've done parts of the AT several times over, mostly in the Whites.

This year, based on the 2nd option above, I've decided to hike a bit of PCT. But unfortunately, California is on fire. Kind of a bummer.

So I've been kicking myself lately, because you know, when all is said and done, I'd probably be as happy hiking the 100-mile wilderness for a second time. The last time was a long time ago, and it was simply... phenomenal.

warren doyle
07-07-2008, 20:49
Why haven't you learned the lyrics to the PCT or CDT?

Long distance hiking is only one part of my life.
Being a parent, husband, son and sole breadwinner are more important parts.
Also important to me is being a 9-11 month gainfully employed educator.
I have had no desire to do the PCT/CDT simply because I would consider it a selfish act considering the other roles that I play.
Perhaps if my adult children or wife want to do either the PCT/CDT in the future, I would be willing to accompany them if they so desired.
I like my green and moist pilgrimage route and I need only one holy mountain to walk towards.

A-Train
07-07-2008, 22:09
Long distance hiking is only one part of my life.
Being a parent, husband, son and sole breadwinner are more important parts.
Also important to me is being a 9-11 month gainfully employed educator.
I have had no desire to do the PCT/CDT simply because I would consider it a selfish act considering the other roles that I play.
Perhaps if my adult children or wife want to do either the PCT/CDT in the future, I would be willing to accompany them if they so desired.
I like my green and moist pilgrimage route and I need only one holy mountain to walk towards.

I don't understand. Can you elaborate on your role at home. What is the difference between doing your circle for 4 months or hiking the PCT for 4 months?

Not trying to be a jerk, just geniunely curious.

warren doyle
07-07-2008, 22:36
I don't understand. Can you elaborate on your role at home. What is the difference between doing your circle for 4 months or hiking the PCT for 4 months?

Not trying to be a jerk, just geniunely curious.

A good curious question.

The only time I have done a solo thru-hike (AT) or end-to-end hike(LT) was when I was single and still a graduate student.

All my other AT thru-hikes (i.e., 7 expeditions) represented the most productive endeavors I could do as a social-change educator. The purpose of doing these hikes were more for others than myself.

My six section hikes (about 2-5 weeks a year for the last 35 years) have been planned around the other priorities in my life. I have neither lost a job nor have given up a job to hike the trail.

There will come a time when someone will walk the entire trail more times than me; however, they won't be simultaneously fulfilling the roles of husband, father, son and breadwinner during the majority of their treks.

I have no desire to hike another long distance trail just for myself. Therefore, no PCT or CDT in my future and no regrets.

saimyoji
07-07-2008, 22:48
There will come a time when someone will walk the entire trail more times than me; however, they won't be simultaneously fulfilling the roles of husband, father, son and breadwinner during the majority of their treks.

Perhaps they will. Perhaps they will be fulfilling even greater responsibilities. Who's to know?

ed bell
07-07-2008, 23:03
Cool article, even better story. Nice to read about a lifelong backpacker with a truly unique story!

Geo.
01-07-2009, 00:05
My dad sent me this article from the newspaper, the Press Democrat, Santa Rosa CA. He thinks I should try to catch up to this guy in miles:eek:

Thanks for posting that, just spotted it! Good to see that 'Billy Goat' is still pickin' 'em up and puttin' 'em down! I'm wondering what he looks like now. I met up with him some years ago on the PCT, though only knew him as George and not 'Billy Goat'. I was nearing the end of a thru hike and approaching Stehekin when a hiker on the trail heading the opposite way stopped and asked "How the hell did you get ahead of me when you were still in Stehekin when I left?!" I didn't know what he was on about and told him I had never been in Stehekin. He said well he was sure he had just spoken to me there and gave me a look like he didn't believe me and carried on, muttering something about me having a double.
I carried on my way and some hours later was approaching the trailhead turn off to Stehekin where there were a couple of other hikers standing around. One looked up and called out "How's it goin' George?"
This was pretty weird - not only did I apparently have a double, but he had the same name as me!
I eventually met up with George in Stehekin. He was talking to a ranger at the time. Ranger looked up and commented "Hey! You guys could be brothers!"
I remember thinking at the time that I thought I was better looking - but being 'doubles' he was likely thinking the same! ;)
We both made our ways from Stehekin separately as we both liked hiking alone, but we ended up in Manning Park for a couple of days and went half shares together on a room in the lodge there for a bit of trail end luxury. He was still employed by the railroads at that time, but only worked part of the year and spent the rest wandering.
He was a great guy and I enjoyed his company. I'd often wondered what had become of him, so it was a buzz to read that article.
Thanks again!

Sly
01-07-2009, 00:13
Thanks for posting that, just spotted it! Good to see that 'Billy Goat' is still pickin' 'em up and puttin' 'em down! I'm wondering what he looks like now. I met up with him some years ago on the PCT, though only knew him as George and not 'Billy Goat'.

He looks just like this (although his beard may be longer)...

http://tellitonthemountain.com/media.html

2nd clip down.

JAK
01-07-2009, 00:14
Perhaps if I had a million I might get a bigger house, and sleep outside more.

weary
01-07-2009, 01:01
There's no such thing as walking the same trail twice. Trails change hour by hour, day by day, week by week, month by month, year by year. Hikers who think otherwise have not been paying attention.

Geo.
01-07-2009, 01:48
He looks just like this (although his beard may be longer)...

http://tellitonthemountain.com/media.html

2nd clip down.

Thanks Sly. That beard's a lot greyer than when we last met, but then so's mine when it puts in an appearance!
Looks like he met up with a real nice lady and one who understands. :)
Given your combination of weather patterns and scenery, I'm pickin' that the US is just about the best country for a hiker to be retired in.
Sigh...

Dogwood
01-07-2009, 01:49
All this chest thumping has me out of wind. Actually, Billy Goat isn't the gregarious bragging type. He just keeps on doing what he enjoys-hiking-just like many of us. I have always noticed an unpretentious gleam of wisdom in his eyes that hint at what life has taught him on the trail and in general. If asked respectfully, meaning without a know-it-all attitude, I have always found him to be willingly to share what he has. And, even though he hikes some trails repeatedly he doesn't seem adverse to constantly explore new trails.

buckwheat
01-07-2009, 04:49
Don't forget to watch the video interview, shown here. (http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me_billygoat24-2008jun25,0,4121947.story)