PDA

View Full Version : info on Black Hills SD

jeremiah j
07-06-2008, 15:40
Thinking of going there next weekend. Anyone been and have info on camping,hiking etc? How about places to avoid(like lots of tourists). Thanks

brotheral
07-06-2008, 16:31
We spent 3 nights at Custer State Park in late Aug 2005. Center Lake Campground. When we drove into Custer wild burros were blocking the road, surrounding cars. It was amazing. My girlfriend (a horse lover) got out and was scratching them on the head... We loved it. We got past the "Begging Burros" and Bison were everywhere. It was just incredible. Then I saw Mt Rushmore from the road... Can't tell you any thing abt the hiking, but I'd love to & will go back to Custer. We were camping our way to Glacier, Yellowstone, and Bryce... :sun

brotheral
07-06-2008, 16:39
I uploaded a Bison photo from Custer :sun. I don't usually do this, so we'll see what we get...

saimyoji
07-06-2008, 16:51
Years ago I spent a few nights in the BHSD area. Can't specifics, but we had a stellar time. Don't mess with those bison, they are wild animals and will ruin your day if you F with them.

brotheral
07-06-2008, 17:40
Years ago I spent a few nights in the BHSD area. Can't specifics, but we had a stellar time. Don't mess with those bison, they are wild animals and will ruin your day if you F with them.
We were warned not to mess with them. They appear to be very submissive / laid back. Fact is they can jump up to 6' high and run 35mph. I saw them look like they were sleepin on there feet and break into a full trot. I certainly would keep my distance :D !!

Tennessee Viking
07-06-2008, 19:16
Thinking of going there next weekend. Anyone been and have info on camping,hiking etc? How about places to avoid(like lots of tourists). ThanksIts been a while but Custer State Park is a definite visit. I just went straight through but it has a number of spires of granite rock which people love to climb.

Then you got Rushmore and Crazy Horse, Mt Rushmore, Windcave, an d the Badlands in a short drive

If you want the corny tourist stuff, Hot Springs & Sturgis are the places.

Ron Haven
07-06-2008, 21:25
Thinking of going there next weekend. Anyone been and have info on camping,hiking etc? How about places to avoid(like lots of tourists). Thanksjeremiah,If you go take some time to go to Keystone and see Mount Rushmore.

sbennett
07-06-2008, 21:44
If trying to avoid tourists make sure you aren't around Sturgis from Aug. 4-10, which is when they hold their annual motorcycle rally. Having driven across South Dakota with my father during this week I can promise that bikers will populate generally all of the tourist attractions (including Keystone and Mt. Rushmore) and may make getting any sort of campsite in the area somewhat difficult.

If you're driving west across SD be sure to check out Badlands National Park and Wall Drug (get a giant doughnut). Custer State Park is an awesome place to check out Bison and Mt. Rushmore can't be missed no matter how busy it can be (I recommend going at dusk to see the faces lit up by the lights at the base of the moutain).

BlackCloud
07-06-2008, 22:26
Stay away from Sturgis & Keystone anytime of year. Nothing good going on there.

Jewel Cave Nat'l Monument has the best cave tours bar none. Go to the NPS site & try to reserve a spot on the wild cave tour if interested, as it is the best in the Park Service.

Rushmore @ 9pm is a must. Best hike by far is up Harney Peak via Little Devils Tower.

Just google all this stuff for details....

mark.k.watson
07-07-2008, 14:34
Good luck trying to get away from people in late August.
The rally is still going strong, maybe not officially but there will still be a lot of people.
Check out the Centennial Trail for the state's only long distance hiking trail. Harney will lead you to the summit of the highest peak west of the Rockies and East of the Pyrnees. It can be crowed.Find the more rugged or away from the road hikes and there will be less foot traffic.
Stealth camping OK with no fire in the forest. Fires are are allowed in campgrounds and approved grates. www.sdgfp.com
August is nuts here.
Tourist traps: Keystone, Deadwood, Hill City - lots O' people some interesting stuff.
Get aways: dirt roads in Custer State Park, dirt roads in the BH national Forest.
Unless you love Harleys stay away from Sturgis. You'll get enough of them anyway.
Hope this helps

Lellers
07-07-2008, 14:55
I just came back from this area... was driving across the country to Yellowstone. Custer State Park was fantastic. We didn't do much hiking until we got to Yellowstone, but we did hike the trail around the base of Mt. Rushmore. Mt. Rushmore is much better in the early evening and dusk, though the ranger program and lighting ceremony was a little hokey. Fun, but hokey. We drove through Badlands, and I wish we had more time to stay there. I talked to some folks who camped in the park and used it as a basecamp for day hikes. I thought the Badlands were fantastic. Kept hearing the theme music from "Dances With Wolves" sounding in my head. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

IdahoDavid
07-08-2008, 13:57
I lived in the Black Hills for a decade or so in the 1980s. For scenery you can't do better than Spearfish Canyon. There are a few trailheads there. The town of Spearfish is friendly and clean and has some nice attractions. The problem you will encounter throughout the Black Hills is that -- despite its excellent scenery -- there just is very little in the way of wild country. If you have ever seen it from the air you will note that you just can't travel very far without intersecting a road. Summers are indeed crowded. I recommend travel there in September or early October. Especially in Spearfish Canyon the fall colors are wonderful and accomodations are easier top come by. Deadwood, S.D., has legalized gambling with the benefits and curses it brings.

Heater
07-09-2008, 01:14
Thinking of going there next weekend. Anyone been and have info on camping,hiking etc? How about places to avoid(like lots of tourists). Thanks

If you book yourself a room in the local saloon.... skip the hoedown. :cool: