PDA

View Full Version : Whisperlite Fuel

Bootleg
07-06-2008, 18:31
This is a newbie question but I just wanna make sure before I blow myself up. THe Whisperlite can burn white gas, is this the same as Coleman Fuel? If not any suggestions??

Feral Bill
07-06-2008, 18:33
Same stuff. There are other brands as well.

Bootleg
07-06-2008, 18:39
Thanks Feral

Bob S
07-06-2008, 19:20
MSR fuel $5.00 a quart
Coleman fuel $8.00 a gal

Same stuff.

Panzer1
07-06-2008, 23:57
MSR fuel $5.00 a quart
Coleman fuel $8.00 a gal

Same stuff.

I actually prefer the more expensive $5.00 quart to the economical gallon. I just don't want a gallon of that stuff in my basement. When I stored the gallon in my shed out back it began to rust thru the bottom before I was able to use it up. At the rate I use it, a quart is best.

Panzer

Wise Old Owl
07-07-2008, 00:31
I actually prefer the more expensive $5.00 quart to the economical gallon. I just don't want a gallon of that stuff in my basement. When I stored the gallon in my shed out back it began to rust thru the bottom before I was able to use it up. At the rate I use it, a quart is best.

Panzer

I have 8 gallons in the basement - since 1999 - no big deal.

mudhead
07-07-2008, 08:07
I have 8 gallons in the basement - since 1999 - no big deal.

Go check your cans.

saimyoji
07-07-2008, 08:11
Go check your cans.

Does that mean what I think it means? :D

Lyle
07-07-2008, 10:02
Go check your cans.

Make sure you put the cigar out first! :D

jonblaze
07-07-2008, 11:48
I use Regular Unleaded Gasoline in my Whisper lite as well as White gas and the MSR Fuel. Gasoline does burn dirty compared to the White Gas or MSR fuel, but works just as well. I only use gasoline when I can't find the White gas or MSR Fuel. Also, after burning gasoline in your Whisper lite, you will get a black film around the burn area. If you wait until the stove is cool, you can usually blow most of this film off. I always keep a piece of rag with my stove to wrap the pump in and also clean the primer cup, and any of that black soot that doesn't blow off. I've met people on the Trail that told me they've also used higher proof liquors when other fuels weren't available. - Johnny Blaze:sun

Hikes in Rain
07-07-2008, 12:33
You can avoid that black soot by using alcohol in the priming pan instead of stove fuel. Naturally, I discover this after the stove is inelibly blackened.

Bob S
07-07-2008, 13:46
I have been using alcohol to prime my Svea for years and no soot.

Bootleg
07-07-2008, 14:18
Just found Coleman Fuel in 32oz bottles, snatched up one. I found it at the PX on base, along with some other hiking gear I was shocked to see here in Texas.

Homer&Marje
07-07-2008, 16:34
we have a 13 year old whisperlite, always burned white gas with it and it has so much soot on it that it's black as night... people with new ones ask sometimes why is yours black and mines silver, i say something smart like it was a limited edition color, you cant get it anymore:p but really i just dont like to clean it, don't know why i just figure it's a useless venture. What, some people collect earwax and scabs in jars, i have soot on my backpacking stove.

happy trails

Geo.
07-19-2008, 19:02
MSR fuel $5.00 a quart
Coleman fuel $8.00 a gal

Same stuff.

Wow! That's cheap! I've just checked out the 1 litre bottle of Coleman fuel that I bought for my Whisperlite, and see that I'd paid $13.50 (NZ) for it - that works out to about just over $40 (US) a gallon (US)
With the cost of petroleum products it's probably even more by now. :eek:
The good news I suppose, is that the stove isn't very thirsty.
As a matter of interest, I've once used standard gasoline in my Whisperlite when I was unable to access white gas. Seemed to work ok but was a lot dirtier.

mudcap
07-19-2008, 20:24

Panzer

I transfer my White Gas into glass or metal containers. Never had a problem. You are right on the steel cans though.