PDA

View Full Version : Snakes

Ron Haven
07-06-2008, 21:21
Are you seeing more snakes this year than usually.I was digging ramps near Deep Gap in late April when I come upon a Copper Head.I ran upon another snake just south of Rock Gap near the shelter.We were hiking a month or so ago near Wayah Bald and run upon a rattler.

I have saw numerous ones dead in the rural highways that were flattened by cars.A huge Black snake scared the day lights out of me near my shop.Then today I saw a long King snake in my front yard.

Seems like in the past seeing 1 or 2 a year was normal.

musicwoman
07-06-2008, 21:23
Has there been drought conditions? That will usually bring them closer to people as they look for water.

Tipi Walter
07-06-2008, 21:30
On my last two backpacking trips I've seen a total of six snakes, two rattlesnakes, a copperhead, a king snake, a banded water snake and a black mamba--ha ha just kidding--it was just a fast moving garter snake. I attribute it to warmer winters, also responsible for the pine beetle and possibly the hemlock dieoff.

Tennessee Viking
07-06-2008, 22:19
I was just on Holston Mtn, and about every 100 yards I saw a garder snake slither off trail.

Then Pond Mtn was just alive a couple weeks ago. I walked right past a 5 foot, very fat, rat snake. I guess being another warm summer, the mice are coming out, thus the snakes as well.

dmax
07-06-2008, 22:36
I saw a black snake last week, at Sams Gap. Two weeks ago, I came across 3 copperheads while looking for fishing bait on the Nolichucky river. Every time I go looking for Helgramites, I always come across at least one snake.

BigCat
07-07-2008, 05:33
You guys should try hiking down here in Australia. I almost stepped on a tiger snake as it was trying to flee the trail ahead of me. Had to check to be sure I didn't soil myself after that little episode...

MOWGLI
07-07-2008, 06:30
My daughter went for a hike last night by herself. When she wasn't back for dinner, I went looking for her. I found her in a standoff with a 6' Black Rat Snake. :D It was laying across the trail, and she wasn't sure if it was alive or dead, and didn't know if it was venomous. I grabbed the snake gently by the tail to show her it was very much alive, and had her walk around it.

Personally, I'm seeing fewer copperheads this year. Last year during the drought, I saw lots of them here where I live. This year I haven't seen any - yet.

Old Grouse
07-07-2008, 10:05
In my area we're seeing a lot more chipmunks this year (gray squirrels, too). So I should think there may now be a commensurate increase in their predators, snakes included.

sliderule
07-07-2008, 11:47
Has there been drought conditions? That will usually bring them closer to people as they look for water.

I always carry some extra water to share with thirsty snakes!!!

Wonder
07-07-2008, 12:29
I have seen so many this year that I couldn't give you a number. I don't know if this is normal in Damascus, or just this year. I see a black snake almost everytime I ride my bike to Food City......even a really, really fat one a couple times I'm told could be a mocc. I don't know. It's my first year living int he south.........now I'm trying to get used to lizards. Lizards! I never would have guessed.......

Tennessee Viking
07-07-2008, 14:31
I have seen so many this year that I couldn't give you a number. I don't know if this is normal in Damascus, or just this year. I see a black snake almost everytime I ride my bike to Food City......even a really, really fat one a couple times I'm told could be a mocc. I don't know. It's my first year living int he south.........now I'm trying to get used to lizards. Lizards! I never would have guessed.......
I was driving back home from the trail when I passed something moving across the street. It was very large black rat snake slithering into the grounds for Tri Cities Christian School in JC.

DAKS
07-07-2008, 16:42
in early may i saw the biggest/fattest rattler near harpers creek shelter near VA56. it never coiled/rattled at all. it was just moving very slowly along the trail and parallel to it. i think maybe it had just eaten a big meal as it seemed to be having a very difficult time going up hill. it actually rolled over and corrected itself a few times as we watched. pretty cool!