PDA

View Full Version : Cowrock mountain and coyotes, a lot of them.

Incahiker
07-06-2008, 22:14
Just did my 1st section hike from Reece memorial parking lot to Tesnatee gap, about 14 miles out and back. Well, I ended up camping out on Cowrock mountain. I went to bed at about 10:00 pm and then at 12:00 a.m. I heard howling, really close. My dog shot up with her ears spread wide open. Luckily she never barked, but she was concerned. I was a little startled, but it was just one coyote and I pet my dog back to sleep. About another hour later, we were woken up by a chorus of coyotes, just outside my tent. My dog just stayed laying down, though she was wide awake I feel she knew it would not be wise to start moving around inside the tent. They were running around, literally so close at times that if I unzipped my rainfly I could reach out and touch one without getting out of the tent. Their were, I estimate 10, from the singing going on. They paid me no attention and just went on with there business, hunting during the night. I camped right in the middle of their hunting ground I suppose, it was a bit unnerving. I got about maybe 4 hours of sleep total the whole night. It was pretty hard going back to sleep, but eventually I just passed out because I was so tired. I also found a Bear/coyote den about 100 feet behind my camping spot at cowrock mountain, that was great to think about while going to sleep.

Another thing, dogs will get an UNBELIEVABLE amount of ticks on this sections. I had to pick off about 5 ticks from me during the night as they crawled on my body. When I got home I did a tick check on my dog and picked off 20, and its pretty hard considering she is 1/2 chow, and has the hair of a chow.

Survivor Dave
07-06-2008, 22:43
Wow! I was there hiking from Neel Gap to Cowrock and back on a day hike last week and saw my first bear ever!

It was about a mile North of the blue blaze where the trickle of water on the right comes from(probabaly dry now:eek:).

It doesn't surprise me about the tick situation. The Trail is overgrown in a lot of places. The grasses on the sides must be full. I guess I was lucky, I didn't find any ticks. I hope you had a nice view. Shoot, humping back up Cowrock is as bad as Wildcat!

SD

Pedaling Fool
07-06-2008, 22:49
... My dog shot up with her ears spread wide open. Luckily she never barked, but she was concerned. I was a little startled, but it was just one coyote and I pet my dog back to sleep...
Makes you wonder if you have a female dog in heat, how does that affect the behavior of coyotes?

Incahiker
07-06-2008, 23:01
Makes you wonder if you have a female dog in heat, how does that affect the behavior of coyotes?

I thought about that for a second also, but we had her fixed when she was a puppy so she gets no period.

Another, really strange thing happened that night. I mean really strange, almost x-files type of strange. Its hard to describe, but there was this really odd, laser sounding noise, that appeared right over my head outta no where on cowrock, right on top of the large granite outcropping where you can see wildcat mtn. Sorta like "ZzzzWooop" but REALLY LOUD, and right above my head or really close every time it happened. Sounded like someone being transported in Star trek, literally. I heard it about 15 times during the night, almost expecting to see an alien standing where the sound was. This was no normal sound, and there was no way the wind was making it, it just sounded way too weird, gave me the creeps the 1st time I heard it, and each other time. It was very "Electronic" sounding, not natural, and like I said, it sounded like it came from a speaker right above my head. Again, this also contributed to the very little amount of sleep I got that night.

Speaking of bears, as I was hiking that day a trail runner passed me and we spoke for a second and then he was on his way. Going down levelland mountain I saw him again (10 minutes after we 1st met) and he was clearly shaken. He warned me that he ran into the biggest bear he had ever seen on the trail, easily 400-500 lbs. He said they were only about 15 ft apart because he came around the corner and literally almost ran into the bear. They stared at each other for about 5 seconds and then the bear just mozied on along, just minding his own business. That was sorta intimidating to hear, being it was the 1st time on the A.T. All in all though, I had a wonderful time.

Incahiker
07-06-2008, 23:03
Wow! I was there hiking from Neel Gap to Cowrock and back on a day hike last week and saw my first bear ever!

It was about a mile North of the blue blaze where the trickle of water on the right comes from(probabaly dry now:eek:).

It doesn't surprise me about the tick situation. The Trail is overgrown in a lot of places. The grasses on the sides must be full. I guess I was lucky, I didn't find any ticks. I hope you had a nice view. Shoot, humping back up Cowrock is as bad as Wildcat!

SD

The only water on the trail was the very 1st blue blaze you come across going east towards cowpen, the other 2 springs were completely dry. One had a lot of bear prints all over it.

Survivor Dave
07-06-2008, 23:08
The only water on the trail was the very 1st blue blaze you come across going east towards cowpen, the other 2 springs were completely dry. One had a lot of bear prints all over it.

Did you mean Cowrock?;)

Bulldawg
07-06-2008, 23:10
Sounds like lots of Bear out in Georgia right now. I saw two a few weeks ago at Miller Gap on the Woody to Neel section.

Incahiker
07-06-2008, 23:13
Yup, thanks for catching that, cowrock not pen :rolleyes:. I have also heard that there are a ton of bears out there also, from everyone I spoke with on the trail. The population is exploding in Georgia. Just last week a bear was hit and killed on Barrett parkway right beside the I-75 overpass. Now thats weird. Thats just one of two bears that were hit by cars in cobb county that week.

take-a-knee
07-06-2008, 23:38
I camped at that overlook on Cowrock a couple of weeks ago. I heard some coyotes howling rather close, no aliens though.:eek:

bloodmountainman
07-07-2008, 06:20
I thought about that for a second also, but we had her fixed when she was a puppy so she gets no period.

Another, really strange thing happened that night. I mean really strange, almost x-files type of strange. Its hard to describe, but there was this really odd, laser sounding noise, that appeared right over my head outta no where on cowrock, right on top of the large granite outcropping where you can see wildcat mtn. Sorta like "ZzzzWooop" but REALLY LOUD, and right above my head or really close every time it happened. Sounded like someone being transported in Star trek, literally. I heard it about 15 times during the night, almost expecting to see an alien standing where the sound was. This was no normal sound, and there was no way the wind was making it, it just sounded way too weird, gave me the creeps the 1st time I heard it, and each other time. It was very "Electronic" sounding, not natural, and like I said, it sounded like it came from a speaker right above my head. Again, this also contributed to the very little amount of sleep I got that night.

Speaking of bears, as I was hiking that day a trail runner passed me and we spoke for a second and then he was on his way. Going down levelland mountain I saw him again (10 minutes after we 1st met) and he was clearly shaken. He warned me that he ran into the biggest bear he had ever seen on the trail, easily 400-500 lbs. He said they were only about 15 ft apart because he came around the corner and literally almost ran into the bear. They stared at each other for about 5 seconds and then the bear just mozied on along, just minding his own business. That was sorta intimidating to hear, being it was the 1st time on the A.T. All in all though, I had a wonderful time.
I'm curious about this sound!! Did you see any flashes of what we call "dry lightening" that night? The valley between Cowrock and Wildcat is very deep with the perfect V shape. I'm wondering if this sound was a static charge bouncing off those rocks and echoing down the valley? Just a theory.

Incahiker
07-07-2008, 08:05
I saw some lightning, but it was south about maybe 15-20 miles out, maybe more. I was hoping that the storm wasn't coming towards me since I was on top of cowrock, which it didn't.

Its really hard to describe the sound. But it just came out of nowhere, and literally sounded like it emitted from right over my head or really close. There was no echo. At 1st I thought that it was a really weird bug flying and perhaps moving air in a weird way. But the 2nd time I heard it, it was just really weird. I looked both times where the sound came from but there was no source. I am sure there is a perfect explanation to this, but I sure as hell couldn't figure it out. My dog didn't seem to be frightened or bothered by the noise though, so it couldn't have been that bad. The noise started very soft got louder then faded again, like "zzzZZWOOOOoooop". It wasn't like a train or jet getting closer then further, it stayed in one place and got louder and softer.

bloodmountainman
07-07-2008, 08:11
That's weird stuff!! Gotta go up there and listen out for this!
:eek:

Odd Thomas
07-07-2008, 08:20
I saw some lightning, but it was south about maybe 15-20 miles out, maybe more. I was hoping that the storm wasn't coming towards me since I was on top of cowrock, which it didn't.

Its really hard to describe the sound. But it just came out of nowhere, and literally sounded like it emitted from right over my head or really close. There was no echo. At 1st I thought that it was a really weird bug flying and perhaps moving air in a weird way. But the 2nd time I heard it, it was just really weird. I looked both times where the sound came from but there was no source. I am sure there is a perfect explanation to this, but I sure as hell couldn't figure it out. My dog didn't seem to be frightened or bothered by the noise though, so it couldn't have been that bad. The noise started very soft got louder then faded again, like "zzzZZWOOOOoooop". It wasn't like a train or jet getting closer then further, it stayed in one place and got louder and softer.

All I can think of is a katydid, but I doubt you'd not already know what that sounds like.

http://www.sounddogs.com/previews/25/mp3/331424_SOUNDDOGS_In.mp3

It's going to drive me nuts wondering what it was!

Incahiker
07-07-2008, 09:10
That's weird stuff!! Gotta go up there and listen out for this!
:eek:

Ok, I will tell you where I was. There is a fire ring right on the rock face that faces wildcat mtn. I was sitting by the fire and the noise 1st emitted south of my by the 1st group of small trees. Like I said, its a weird sound and I'm sure its easily explained, but I had a hard time figuring out what was making that noise. It didn't happen until about a little after 9:00. It was dark. My imagination went into overdrive a little and I started to think perhaps it had something to do with indians in the past. I read somewhere that in Utah the Navajos put a curse on a piece of land and it opened a portal to another dimension where weird creatures were falling from it into our world, but I shut that off quickly as I didn't wanna be skeered all night;). It was something I read during lunch, found the article on wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skinwalker_Ranch

Incahiker
07-07-2008, 09:18
All I can think of is a katydid, but I doubt you'd not already know what that sounds like.

http://www.sounddogs.com/previews/25/mp3/331424_SOUNDDOGS_In.mp3

It's going to drive me nuts wondering what it was!

Wow, that was a pretty strange sound, but it wasn't that. This sound I heard only lasted for about maybe 5 seconds total. I have heard a firework similair to it before. Its one that flies through the air, and makes a strange noise when in flight, not a high pitched squeeling noise, but similair to what i explained above. But like I said, this sound came from one place and was not moving and was really close to me. Anyone else heard a sound like that near cowrock?

bloodmountainman
07-07-2008, 09:22
Ok, I will tell you where I was. There is a fire ring right on the rock face that faces wildcat mtn. I was sitting by the fire and the noise 1st emitted south of my by the 1st group of small trees. Like I said, its a weird sound and I'm sure its easily explained, but I had a hard time figuring out what was making that noise. It didn't happen until about a little after 9:00. It was dark. My imagination went into overdrive a little and I started to think perhaps it had something to do with indians in the past. I read somewhere that in Utah the Navajos put a curse on a piece of land and it opened a portal to another dimension where weird creatures were falling from it into our world, but I shut that off quickly as I didn't wanna be skeered all night;). It was something I read during lunch, found the article on wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skinwalker_Ranch
I know that spot well! I wasn't going to mention the portal thing..... but it did cross my mind! Maybe this sound had the coyotes fired up!

Nearly Normal
07-07-2008, 09:42
Just did my 1st section hike from Reece memorial parking lot to Tesnatee gap, about 14 miles out and back. Well, I ended up camping out on Cowrock mountain. I went to bed at about 10:00 pm and then at 12:00 a.m. I heard howling, really close. My dog shot up with her ears spread wide open. Luckily she never barked, but she was concerned. I was a little startled, but it was just one coyote and I pet my dog back to sleep. About another hour later, we were woken up by a chorus of coyotes, just outside my tent. My dog just stayed laying down, though she was wide awake I feel she knew it would not be wise to start moving around inside the tent. They were running around, literally so close at times that if I unzipped my rainfly I could reach out and touch one without getting out of the tent. Their were, I estimate 10, from the singing going on. They paid me no attention and just went on with there business, hunting during the night. I camped right in the middle of their hunting ground I suppose, it was a bit unnerving. I got about maybe 4 hours of sleep total the whole night. It was pretty hard going back to sleep, but eventually I just passed out because I was so tired. I also found a Bear/coyote den about 100 feet behind my camping spot at cowrock mountain, that was great to think about while going to sleep.

Another thing, dogs will get an UNBELIEVABLE amount of ticks on this sections. I had to pick off about 5 ticks from me during the night as they crawled on my body. When I got home I did a tick check on my dog and picked off 20, and its pretty hard considering she is 1/2 chow, and has the hair of a chow.

Thet are really beginning to become a large problem in a lot of the Southern States. Small game like rabbit, turkey, and quail populations suffer and are not only losing habitat but the pressure is on with these predators. The coyotes are adapting to urban areas as well. Watch out for "fluffy" when let out to whiz.
A bounty should be offered in some places, but the idiot PC crowd that doesn't get it anyway whould have conniption fits.

CBSSTony
07-07-2008, 09:44
If you are talking about where I think you are, you can see Mt Yonah. A well known indian site, maybe it was coming from there. I also wonder what those remote unmanned planes the Army is using sounds like, and do they practice using them around here.

Incahiker
07-07-2008, 10:10
Yes, from where I was you can see Mt. Yonah clear as day. Just from memory I believe it was south east of cowrock. I don't think it was a plane, it was just a quick, weird sound.

bloodmountainman
07-07-2008, 10:15
A neighbor's son was up there last November camping with his dog. There was a fire ban at the time, so his only light was a candle lantern and a headlamp. He said he was surrounded by coyotes and got so un-nerved he called his dad to pick him up on the highway in the middle of the night! Must be a pretty large pack roaming around up there.

take-a-knee
07-07-2008, 10:47
I know that spot well! I wasn't going to mention the portal thing..... but it did cross my mind! Maybe this sound had the coyotes fired up!

Superstition is the worm that exudes from a dead (or missing or misplaced) faith.

earlyriser26
07-07-2008, 10:47
I had a similar experience last spring near Hawk Mt. shelter in GA. We were camped on the AT above the shelter and around 1AM a large group of coyotes started to howl right outside our tents. They were very close, but I decided not to venture out. I didn't get much sleep that night, but assume they aren't a problem unless you are small game.

bloodmountainman
07-07-2008, 10:50
Superstition is the worm that exudes from a dead (or missing or misplaced) faith.
OK......don't really know what that means.

MoodyBluer
07-07-2008, 10:55
Wow, that was a pretty strange sound, but it wasn't that. This sound I heard only lasted for about maybe 5 seconds total. I have heard a firework similair to it before. Its one that flies through the air, and makes a strange noise when in flight, not a high pitched squeeling noise, but similair to what i explained above. But like I said, this sound came from one place and was not moving and was really close to me. Anyone else heard a sound like that near cowrock?

Don't Cicadas make a loud buzzing sound at times? They are hard to see (except their exoskeletons hanging on the bark of trees) and I swear they make that short electric buzzing sound you describe.

Incahiker
07-07-2008, 11:09
A neighbor's son was up there last November camping with his dog. There was a fire ban at the time, so his only light was a candle lantern and a headlamp. He said he was surrounded by coyotes and got so un-nerved he called his dad to pick him up on the highway in the middle of the night! Must be a pretty large pack roaming around up there.

Well, looks like me and him both had dogs, and maybe the coyotes must have been attracted by the dog?? Though they did not bother us or smell the tent or anything. They just ran around the tent to get to their destination. Though when they all started howling around the tent, that was freaky.... My dog would have been dinner for sure if she got out of the tent. I think she knew that too.

Odd Thomas
07-07-2008, 11:32
Don't Cicadas make a loud buzzing sound at times? They are hard to see (except their exoskeletons hanging on the bark of trees) and I swear they make that short electric buzzing sound you describe.

http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=15345

Found a sample of them too. Both of these insects will sound different depending on the temperature too.

Survivor Dave
07-07-2008, 11:36
I just spoke with Cola Monkey about the wildlife situation in the area. She said that bears are a bit more active this year. The thing that struck a chord though was that she said that she had not seen coyote on Trail this year, but they are not really agressive around people. She then went on to say that near her home in Blairsville, they come around her house with no problems.

SD

berninbush
07-07-2008, 11:47
I would definitely be unnerved by being surrounded by coyotes all night. I doubt my dog would behave that well, either!

Coyotes do definitely adapt to semi-urban environments. I live within the city limits, but next to a multi-acre reservoir/ flood plain with no development, and I know there are coyotes that live out there.

As to the weird "alien" sound... could it have been something like a mockingbird imitating a man-made sound it had heard? Mockingbirds have been known to mimick squeaking doors, car engines, and other odd noises. They're really amazing creatures with a surprisingly wide repertoire.

bloodmountainman
07-07-2008, 11:51
Bears have been active around the house the past couple of weeks. Usually one or two to deal with this time of year.... Neighbors have been seeing at least 5 different ones. We are a little south of De Soto falls, and a little north of Boggs Creek campgrounds. No coyotes ..... they must all be on Cowrock!

Hoop
07-07-2008, 13:08
I thought of cicadas, too. They crank out a loud high-pitched buzz worthy of a mosh pit; nearby would be nerve-racking.

Animals in captivity probably don't have much else to look forward to, but ever seen a coyote at feeding time? Stand back.

I start from AFSP to the state line this Saturday, so I guess my eyes'll be really wide-open.

Nearly Normal
07-07-2008, 16:30
I just spoke with Cola Monkey about the wildlife situation in the area. She said that bears are a bit more active this year. The thing that struck a chord though was that she said that she had not seen coyote on Trail this year, but they are not really agressive around people. She then went on to say that near her home in Blairsville, they come around her house with no problems.

SD

No problem to who/what? In the edge of town?
To people? To house cats? Babies in strollers?

Ever sense the coyote's have moved in around here you can't find a rabbit, a quail or even a Whippoorwill. Dern pest if you ask me. Along the lines of fire aints.

Grandma
07-07-2008, 16:40
Babies in strollers? I think you are stretching it a little, unless you leave your child in a stroller in the woods unattended.

Gray Blazer
07-07-2008, 17:28
I stayed on Cowrock 2 weeks ago tonite with my female dog right by the cowrock. There was really only one place to set up the tent. I didn't hear your noise or see the coyotes, but I believe you. Pretty neat place otherwise. I was able to filter water out of the big puddles on the rocks. The sign said the water at Tenastee Gap was way down there and I didn't feel like going that far. The other 2 springs you mentioned were barely trickling then.

Dances with Mice
07-07-2008, 18:17
If we could just get the wild pigs to root the weeds on the side of the trail and if not then have the coyotes eat the wild pigs...life would be so much easier.

The buzzing sound you described sounds like the dying gasp of a cicada being eaten. Every now and then a bird grabs one and you'll hear a loud zzzzzZZZAAKK?! electric-type sound. But that's in daylight. Never heard anything like that at night.

Hikerhead
07-07-2008, 18:54
The buzzing sound you described sounds like the dying gasp of a cicada being eaten. Every now and then a bird grabs one and you'll hear a loud zzzzzZZZAAKK?! electric-type sound. But that's in daylight. Never heard anything like that at night.

I bet that's it...didn't think of them cicadas till you posted this. And you're right, only in the daytime do you hear them. The cadydids come out at night, if I spelt that correctly.

Wise Old Owl
07-07-2008, 19:29
some one all ready gave that answer....

Wise Old Owl
07-07-2008, 19:41
I had a similar experience last spring near Hawk Mt. shelter in GA. We were camped on the AT above the shelter and around 1AM a large group of coyotes started to howl right outside our tents. They were very close, but I decided not to venture out. I didn't get much sleep that night, but assume they aren't a problem unless you are small game.

I will take coyotes any day over a night of many skunks, skunk babes, all over the shelter & tent on several experiences. I have even watched the babies curl up under a freinds beard in a shelter!

Incahiker
07-07-2008, 21:42
I will take coyotes any day over a night of many skunks, skunk babes, all over the shelter & tent on several experiences. I have even watched the babies curl up under a freinds beard in a shelter!

ya, I think I would prefer the coyotes too. Like I said, I thought it was pretty neat, but creepy at the same time. A skunk would have sucked if it blew its load all over my tent and us.:( Guess it would have sucked too if a coyote ate my dog. I guess it was one of those huge flies making that noise. Thats what those cicadas are right, those humongoid flies, and you find there orange molten shell all over trees. I remember I used to find those shells all the time when I was a boy.

Hikerhead
07-07-2008, 21:45
some one all ready gave that answer....

Oops, you're right. I didn't see Moodybluer's post above. My bad.

Jim Adams
07-08-2008, 10:53
Babies in strollers? I think you are stretching it a little, unless you leave your child in a stroller in the woods unattended.

BAIT?:D

geek

whitefoot_hp
07-08-2008, 13:43
No problem to who/what? In the edge of town?
To people? To house cats? Babies in strollers?

Ever sense the coyote's have moved in around here you can't find a rabbit, a quail or even a Whippoorwill. Dern pest if you ask me. Along the lines of fire aints.
great animals. quit whining.

you know that the person was referring to hikers on the trail. most people dont take babies out there.

urbansix
07-08-2008, 22:44

I was (we were) camping the night of 7/6 (last Sunday night) around Baggs Creek Gap just west of Cow Rock and east of Levelland. I think I saw that bear. I'd never seen a bear before, so the first one I saw seemed "normal" to what I had imagined for an east-coat bear. Roughly the size of a grown man but much bulkier. A few minutes later I saw one that seemed twice as big. Big enough that I had to wonder if the first one was a cub. Of course these were split-second impressions. (full trip report) (http://throwinguphill.blogspot.com/2008/07/appalachian-trail-74-7708.html). Reading the shelter logs, it seems there has been lots of bear activity in recent days/weeks.

Man - reading this thread it sounds like the AT was crowded as hell this weekend. Yet I passed barely 5 people on the trail in 3 days.

Incahiker
07-08-2008, 22:56
I was (we were) camping the night of 7/6 (last Sunday night) around Baggs Creek Gap just west of Cow Rock and east of Levelland. I think I saw that bear. I'd never seen a bear before, so the first one I saw seemed "normal" to what I had imagined for an east-coat bear. Roughly the size of a grown man but much bulkier. A few minutes later I saw one that seemed twice as big. Big enough that I had to wonder if the first one was a cub. Of course these were split-second impressions. (full trip report) (http://throwinguphill.blogspot.com/2008/07/appalachian-trail-74-7708.html). Reading the shelter logs, it seems there has been lots of bear activity in recent days/weeks.

Man - reading this thread it sounds like the AT was crowded as hell this weekend. Yet I passed barely 5 people on the trail in 3 days.

It is pretty wild. I too was thinking that from the posts it seemed to be crowded. The only people I ran into though was that trail runner, some college kids camping out on Wolf Laurel top, and then that was it. I saw about 4 hikers the next day as I was camping out.

The coolest thing about the whole experience though, was watching about 20 cities fireworks display from Cowrock Mtn. I mean I saw a TON of fireworks, it looked like Georgia was going to war. You can also see the Atlanta skyline to the south east. Another thing I saw was a large thunderstorm to the south, scared the crap outta me since I was on top of cowrock, lightning central of that part of the A.T. Luckily it just kept on heading east and I just got a light drizzle that night. Thats actually what put me to sleep, was listening to the drizzle on the tent. Distracted my mind from all the coyotes outside, lol.

Nearly Normal
07-10-2008, 13:51
http://ohioline.osu.edu/b929/pdf/b929.pdf

Bulldawg
07-10-2008, 18:11
Speaking of fireworks from the AT: where is the best perch to watch as many fireworks from a summit on July 4th? I would have to assume either Blood or Tray? But Incahiker says he saw like 20 sets of fireworks from Cowrock? Who has watch from some of these Georgia July 4th fireworks from the summits? Which summit is the best? Thanks!

Metaphor Man
07-10-2008, 18:14
I live in Cook Co.and was fortunate enough to be able to watch a pack of em for almost 10 years--this right in the city (Chicago). Where I worked abutted a small wet land. I once came upon about 6 (young and old) fooling around my car parked way out in the middle of the lot (by itself) at 1am. As I approached they all stopped frollicking and, as a group, stared at me. I got a bit spooked, jingled my car keys and they were off.
They eat small things. I think they are afraid of a man, unless he's injured and can't defend himself. Besides, they're not wolves. However, I guess I'd fight with anything I felt was competing for my life stuff. I also guess I'd try not to kill in such a way as to foul my own nest.

Bulldawg
07-10-2008, 18:28
I live in Cook Co.and was fortunate enough to be able to watch a pack of em for almost 10 years--this right in the city (Chicago). Where I worked abutted a small wet land. I once came upon about 6 (young and old) fooling around my car parked way out in the middle of the lot (by itself) at 1am. As I approached they all stopped frollicking and, as a group, stared at me. I got a bit spooked, jingled my car keys and they were off.
They eat small things. I think they are afraid of a man, unless he's injured and can't defend himself. Besides, they're not wolves. However, I guess I'd fight with anything I felt was competing for my life stuff. I also guess I'd try not to kill in such a way as to foul my own nest.

I guess you are talking about coyotes?

Metaphor Man
07-10-2008, 19:47
I was talking about coyotes and if they're eating someone's rabbits, maybe that's why they might want a bounty on them. But, I was trying to be maybe too subtle about trying to understand the role they play in the whole big picture. Sorry for not communitcating more clearly. :o

Gray Blazer
07-10-2008, 19:59
I guess you are talking about coyotes?

I think the coyotes are a metaphor for his love life. The coyotes eating the rabbits is a metaphor for life in general and fouling his nest is a metaphor for _____________.

Bulldawg
07-10-2008, 20:08
I was talking about coyotes and if they're eating someone's rabbits, maybe that's why they might want a bounty on them. But, I was trying to be maybe too subtle about trying to understand the role they play in the whole big picture. Sorry for not communitcating more clearly. :o

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Gray Blazer
07-10-2008, 20:11
Sorry for not communitcating more clearly. :o

Use more metaphors.

Bulldawg
07-10-2008, 21:03
Speaking of fireworks from the AT: where is the best perch to watch as many fireworks from a summit on July 4th? I would have to assume either Blood or Tray? But Incahiker says he saw like 20 sets of fireworks from Cowrock? Who has watch from some of these Georgia July 4th fireworks from the summits? Which summit is the best? Thanks!

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

MOWGLI
07-10-2008, 21:08
Had a coyote chase a fawn today down the Bald River (Cherokee NF in Tennessee) to within about 75' of me. An absolutely AMAZING experience! The sound the fawn was making sounded exactly like a young boy calling for his Mama.

Bulldawg
07-10-2008, 21:17
I saw a coyote just outside downtown Athens, GA the other day. Broad daylight, right on the side of a four lane highway. I slowed way down as I knew the color and build of what I thought was a dog was strange. He never even acknowledged my presence.

Also saw a large female bear and a cub right on the side of GA HWY 75 at Unicoi Gap about 3 weeks ago. She was on the Blue Mountain side of the road and looked to be right on the trail about 50 yards off the road. Neither of them even acknowledged our presence that day either.

Bear activity is up all over North Georgia for sure. I talk to a lot of local people daily and many many people have seen more bear this year than the previous 4 or 5 combined. I now hear the bear we had around our house last year about this time is back. At least I assume it is him again. I think he is back to eat my muscadines again. My neighbor said she watched him pull all of my wild muscadines down out of the trees last summer and sit down on his butt and eat them in my mother's front yard (I live 300 yards from my mother, so the muscadines are by default mine). I'd like to have seen that for sure. Anyway, I fully believe he remembers those muscadines and is back to get fat on them again.

Pedaling Fool
07-10-2008, 21:18
Had a coyote chase a fawn today down the Bald River (Cherokee NF in Tennessee) to within about 75' of me. An absolutely AMAZING experience! The sound the fawn was making sounded exactly like a young boy calling for his Mama.
I hate nature, it's so cruel.

Metaphor Man
07-10-2008, 22:16

Correct me if I'm wrong (I know someone will) but don't rabbits make the same noise. I've not heard adults make it but little ones do. I heard one make this sound as it was being carried away by a fox.

Dances with Mice
07-11-2008, 06:15
Which summit is the best? Thanks!Stone Mountain.

generoll
07-11-2008, 08:34
what's bear season in Georgia? guess there really isn't a season on coyotes but i wonder what the pelts are like.

Dances with Mice
07-11-2008, 08:52
what's bear season in Georgia? guess there really isn't a season on coyotes but i wonder what the pelts are like.
Bear hunting in N. GA:
Archery: September 13 - October 10
Primitive Weapons: October 11-17
Firearms: October 18 - December 7

Coyote pelts kinda look like a thick deerskin only more grayish. Sort of.

Jim Adams
07-11-2008, 12:01

:-?One to one in the wild, I would say that you have more chance of being bitten by a coyote than a wolf. Wolves and coyotes are both elusive but coyotes tolerate being around man more. Coyotes will go thru your garbage can in your driveway. I would imagine that anyone who has spent time in coyote country has seen one yet I also imagine that anyone who has spent time in wolf country hasn't seen a wolf...but I'll also bet that wolves have seen them! I could not begin to imagine the amount of time that I've spent in wolf country. I hear them howl alot and I can get them to answer my howls and yet I've only seen 12 total but you can "feel" when they are around and you don't see them. The forest around you will suddenly "shut up", no noise, not a peep. Same with lynx.
No record of man EVER being killed by wolves in North America.

geek

envirodiver
07-11-2008, 12:10
I saw a coyote just outside downtown Athens, GA the other day. Broad daylight, right on the side of a four lane highway. I slowed way down as I knew the color and build of what I thought was a dog was strange. He never even acknowledged my presence.

Also saw a large female bear and a cub right on the side of GA HWY 75 at Unicoi Gap about 3 weeks ago. She was on the Blue Mountain side of the road and looked to be right on the trail about 50 yards off the road. Neither of them even acknowledged our presence that day either.

Bear activity is up all over North Georgia for sure. I talk to a lot of local people daily and many many people have seen more bear this year than the previous 4 or 5 combined. I now hear the bear we had around our house last year about this time is back. At least I assume it is him again. I think he is back to eat my muscadines again. My neighbor said she watched him pull all of my wild muscadines down out of the trees last summer and sit down on his butt and eat them in my mother's front yard (I live 300 yards from my mother, so the muscadines are by default mine). I'd like to have seen that for sure. Anyway, I fully believe he remembers those muscadines and is back to get fat on them again.

I wonder if the lack of water availability at the higher elevations is bringing the bears (and other wildlife) down lower where there is water, and also more people. Which would result in more sightings.

Jim Adams
07-11-2008, 12:11
I wonder if the lack of water availability at the higher elevations is bringing the bears (and other wildlife) down lower where there is water, and also more people. Which would result in more sightings.

Good theory!:-?

geek

Nearly Normal
07-12-2008, 05:47
They are a pest with an out of control population growth.

MOWGLI
07-12-2008, 06:28

Humans or coyotes? :sun

Bulldawg
07-12-2008, 08:54

Good theory. But actually what I am hearing locally is that population is way up. A combination of both would result in even more sightings actually I think. A larger population would cause some bears to venture further to find food.

Wise Old Owl
07-12-2008, 22:02

Humans or coyotes? :sun

Human's - Thank you Mowgli - We hunted them to extinction here in the East, a few Eastern Coyotes are making a come back here and are moving south, it has taken more than a hundred years, it is good to see a change without us having to get involved.

Nearly Normal
07-14-2008, 08:29
Needs to be a bounty on them.

Jim Adams
07-14-2008, 08:32
Human's - Thank you Mowgli - We hunted them to extinction here in the East, a few Eastern Coyotes are making a come back here and are moving south, it has taken more than a hundred years, it is good to see a change without us having to get involved.

coyotes have been STOCKED in western Pa.

geek

kanga
07-14-2008, 08:42
coyotes have been STOCKED in western Pa.

geek

coyotes were actually stocked in the east originally, from what i understand. the dnr types brought them over (late 40's maybe?) to help with the out-of-control deer population. gee, that worked well.
and you know they're out of control when you see them dead on the side of local roads from being hit by cars.
i did watershed research for the last 7 years and had to spend alot of time out on private farms in the area. on one farm last year, i drove down to one of the back pastures and found a pack of around 15 coyotes (mamas and kits) that never seem to be bothered that i was there. i drove within 50 yds and got out of the truck to see what they would do. they sat there cocking their ears. they weren't scared and my presense did not bother them one bit. it was actually pretty cool.
the problem with hunting coyotes are many, mainly the survivors just start having larger litters. it will take more than putting a bounty on them to get them back under control.

Wise Old Owl
07-14-2008, 11:09
Sorry folks what is your source? Jim & Kanga I accept most things when people tell me something, But here is my source.

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?a=458&q=163663

Did the Game Commission release coyotes in Pennsylvania? The eastern coyote's origin has been a topic of debate for some time. Some folks actually believe the agency has stocked coyotes in recent years to reduce deer numbers. Nothing could be further from the truth. Coyotes have been documented in Pennsylvania since the late 1930s and '40s. How they got here, or whether they were here all along, is the missing link to the coyote story. Some biologists believe coyotes have always been a part of Pennsylvania's wildlife community. Others believe western coyotes migrated north into Canada, bred with gray wolves and the resulting hybrid moved south into New England and New York and, eventually, Pennsylvania. Another possibility is that coyotes held in captivity escaped or were set free.

Wise Old Owl
07-14-2008, 11:10

In 2005, hunters and trappers harvested more than 20,000 coyotes statewide, PA

kanga
07-14-2008, 11:15
Sorry folks what is your source? Jim & Kanga I accept most things when people tell me something, But here is my source.

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?a=458&q=163663

Did the Game Commission release coyotes in Pennsylvania? The eastern coyote's origin has been a topic of debate for some time. Some folks actually believe the agency has stocked coyotes in recent years to reduce deer numbers. Nothing could be further from the truth. Coyotes have been documented in Pennsylvania since the late 1930s and '40s. How they got here, or whether they were here all along, is the missing link to the coyote story. Some biologists believe coyotes have always been a part of Pennsylvania's wildlife community. Others believe western coyotes migrated north into Canada, bred with gray wolves and the resulting hybrid moved south into New England and New York and, eventually, Pennsylvania. Another possibility is that coyotes held in captivity escaped or were set free.

just talking to game wardens around these parts, nothing concrete. i'll look around and see if i can find anything. i don't really know about PA's issues at all, i was just kinda referring to GA/AL/NC/SC area. i'll get back to you.:sun

kanga
07-14-2008, 11:16
ok, found one on gon:

http://www.gon.com/article.php?id=677&cid=94

MOWGLI
07-14-2008, 11:20

Deer too. Wanna talk about a scourge. Look at the property damage (autos, shrubbery) they cause. It's in the billions.

Lone Wolf
07-14-2008, 11:22
bounties http://www.api4animals.org/b4a2_bounty.php

kanga
07-14-2008, 11:27
found another:
http://www.jstor.org/stable/pdfplus/3782574.pdf

Wise Old Owl
07-14-2008, 21:04
ok, found one on gon:

http://www.gon.com/article.php?id=677&cid=94

found another:
http://www.jstor.org/stable/pdfplus/3782574.pdf

I enjoy the discussion and you have learned something. You have clearly learned to take it to the next level, I hope you feel more confident.

Mark

Jim Adams
07-14-2008, 21:24
[quote=Wise Old Owl;664604]Sorry folks what is your source? Jim & Kanga I accept most things when people tell me something, But here is my source.

This came from a Pa. Game Commission Officer and 2 Pa. Game Commission employees and a DCNR Officer that I converse with occassionally near Ohiopyple, Pa. The reason stated was to attempt too better control the deer population in the state and the push for this was done via the influence of automobile insurance companies.:-?

geek