PDA

View Full Version : Walking The Dog....... 7-6-08

TOW
07-07-2008, 06:30
This morning as I was walking my dog Sally we run into Tom and his two little Boston Short Hair Terriers. And as usual I was letting Sally run wild as we walked down the alley way and by Tom's property.

About the time we approached his place he comes out of the door with his two dogs and Sally made a mad dash towards them. I immediately yelled at her to stop and she did but the two Terriers were so worked up that they began snapping at each other as Tom dangled them at the end of their straps so as to seperate them.

I says to Tom "I'm sorry, I did not mean to get them all worked up." He replied "They do it all the time anyway."

Sally and I go about our way and head over to Mojoe's Coffee Shop. This is one of Sally's favorite stops. Actually that's a lie and you can figure who's favorite stop it is.

This reminds me. One time Sally and I dropped in there and I was feeling generous that morning. So I says to Elena "Hey fix me up some scrambled eggs and ham for my girlfriend Sally, she'll love that!" Of course Elena just kind of looked at me funny and even made a few snide comments but she complied.

So I take the stuff to Sally and lay it down at her feet outside and she just sniffs it and looks at me with the look of "What's this pal?" So I figured she would eat it later and went back into the coffee shop.

Half an hour later I go out there and she still hadn't touched it? I says "Sally, what's the problem, why have you not eaten that?" She looks up at me and kind of says in her body language "I don't want this stuff, I want to run right now! Let's go!"

If you have ever raised a dog from a pup you get to know what the dog is saying through their body language and after awhile you learn a different form of communications altogether. It's a neat thing too.

My dog lets me know everyday how bored she is when she is on her chain. I wish I had a big yard out in the country somewhere where she could just run wild. But I'm sure that most people with pets feel the same way that live in a town.

After I receive my ration of Sumatra and Costan Rican blend coffee this morning I go out and get Sally and we proceed to walk down the Creeper Trail. There are dogs all up and down the trail. Some guy is jogging with his dog and the dog is staying right in step with him with much slack in the chain. It was a Boston Terrier too.

Then there was this old chap and his very fat Boston Terrier coming down the trail that gave me the old evil eye and jerked his dog away from Sally as she made advances towards it. I got the impression like Sally and I should not have even set foot on the trail from him.

People are like that. I mean you go out to the trail to walk your dog and you just want a nice stroll with the dog and all at once your dealing with all of these people walking their dogs and you have to yell commands at your dog, making them sit and so on. And it irritates you. You come across to the other folk like "How dare you come out and walk your dog at this time of day! What's wrong with you?"

Then the dogs are stopping to smell where all the other dogs have stopped and left their scents and they have to drop their scents there as well. You ever wonder what this world would be like if we humans did all the stuff dogs do?

So Sally and I make it past those two dogs and we come upon the entrails of a rabbit. The stomach, the intestines, and some other gooey looking stuff. A coyote or an opossum had gotten a rabbit sometime the night before and left its guts laying beside the trail along with some hair as well.

Sally goes to sniffing and pulling at the chain. Here comes Tom and his two little dogs. Sally sees them and looks back to eye the morsels that lay before her. Tom and the little dogs come right up to Sally. The most aggressive of the two begins to sniff at Sally and about the time Tom and I are thinking that they are going to become friends Sally just about snaps its little head off for getting to close to the food that lay on the ground! Needless to say they stroll on down the trail.

Dogs are too protective of their food. I'll never forget getting Sally a big ole ham bone when she wasn't but about three months old. She was just a chewing away at it when I came across the yard and decided to pick it up and toss it out of the way. She just about bit my hand off! I slapped her for that just to let her know that I can do anything I want between her and I. I then reached down and took the bone as she cried and howled like I had ripped her soul from her. But she got the message.

You have to be that way with dogs. In your relationship with your dog you have to be top dog, or they will be the top dog and buddy you don't want that. I know a gal that has a dog that she has no control over and it is not pretty. That's just how dogs think. One of you are going to be in control and it best be you.

You ever give it any thought why a dog likes to eat other dogs doodoo? They even like to roll around in it and then come back and share some of that smell with you?

Walking the dog.......

Larry Riddle 7-6-08

MOWGLI
07-07-2008, 06:34
Animals really add to your quality of life, don't they!

Nearly Normal
07-07-2008, 09:50
You ever give it any thought why a dog likes to eat other dogs doodoo? They even like to roll around in it and then come back and share some of that smell with you?
Larry Riddle 7-6-08

A common name for a dog like that is s**t eater.