PDA

View Full Version : Running Away For A bit... where to go?

Ryan_paco
07-07-2008, 12:24
yeah... so I just turned 19... I have no job and no plans for the next month.
Stuff at home had become complicated and I want to just leave and go hike... but i'm not quite that spontaneous....

so I need some advice on where to go and you guys have given me awesome advice on hikes in the past.
heres my caveats

I haven't got a ton of money... maybe 400$
So I can't drive anywhere too far from home in Cleveland.
I was thinking Pennsylvania or MD or northern Virginia would be close enough that I wouldn't kill myself on gas money.
I have all the gear I need (probably more than I need) except for maps and food.
I'm in decent shape and can probably hike an average of like 12 miles or so a day. I don't want to kill myself hiking super long distances - I don't have any rush to get this over with.
Ideally I'd like to spend a night or two at a cheap hostel
I want to leave early next week.

Any advice or help would be awesome.

Heater
07-07-2008, 12:34
If I had the month of August, I would go to the Long trail or hike VT/NH.
Take the bus.

A-Train
07-07-2008, 12:39
Drive to Delawar Water Gap on I-80. Leave your car there. Start hiking north with the pack for a month which should put you somewhere in Mass or VT. Take a bus from various places in New England to NYC. From here take a bus out to the Delaware Water Gap.

You won't spend much money. There is a church hostel at DWG. Nice place to start the trip and meet a few friends.

shelterbuilder
07-07-2008, 12:57
I have to agree with Austexs on taking the bus. Trailhead vandalism can happen anywhere, and if your car gets hit, you might have to write home for enough money to get the car fixed in order to get home. (And of course, the longer it sits parked in one place, the more of a target it becomes.) Besides, you can sleep on the bus - something you can't do behind the wheel of your car (at least, we hope you won't!:eek:)

As to location, if you like heat, humidity, scarce water, and plenty of rocks, then come to Pa. in August. (Come to think of it, Vermont doesn't sound so bad after all!:D) Once you decide where you want to hike, log on to the ATC website and check out the list of shuttles in that area. A bus ticket to a nearby city and a shuttle service isn't a bad way to get to and from the trail. Contact your shuttler and make arrangements (either one way, or round trip) and you'll have it made.

Good luck.

shelterbuilder.

Ryan_paco
07-07-2008, 13:09
Thanks for the quick replies.
I guess I really have more like 3 weeks...

and yeah a bus sounds great.
considering I dont really have a car anyway.
I was figuring I'd take a greyhound down to Harrisburg or something like that.

I've heard lots of bad stuff about the AT in PA... that was one of my main reasons for posting here I guess.

I suppose I don't necessarily need to hike on the AT... but since im alone, I figured Id have way more company on the AT.... but maybe I should investigate the long trail and some other stuff.

my biggest question is basically whether PA would be any fun to hike during late July/August... or would it make more sense to find some other trails elsewhere?

MOWGLI
07-07-2008, 13:19
Try the North Country Trail (http://www.northcountrytrail.org/). You can start in Allegheny State Park. That's closer to home than the AT, and will save you $$ on both ends of the trip.

rafe
07-07-2008, 13:37
In line with MOWGLI's suggestion, you might consider just submerging yourself in the large trail system within New York's Adirondack State Park, known to hikers as the DAKs. The mountains are as rugged as anything you'll find on the AT. The views from the high peaks are spectacular. In between the peaks are beautiful lakes and rushing streams. It's really an amazing area -- the largest state park in the lower 48, I read somewhere. Quite wild. (Bear canisters are required now.) Some of my more memorable hikes were in the DAKs.

berninbush
07-07-2008, 14:00
Do you know what you're doing after your three weeks of hiking? School? a job? Or is that what the hike is to sort out?

Sly
07-07-2008, 18:42
Whatever you heard, PA is great, easy hiking, cheap or free places to stay, etc. You could get from Delaware Water Gap to Harpers Ferry against the flow.

shelterbuilder
07-07-2008, 20:29
FWIW, I grew up hiking on Pa. rocks - for the natives, they're just accepted as a matter of course, since they aren't going away any time soon.:D If you have trouble hiking over them, just slow down a bit. There's lots of flora and fauna to be seen - if you don't know what you're looking at, then bring a SMALL guidebook.

Definitely bring MAPS and a compass (and know how to use them properly before you get here) - if the water on the ridgetop has dried up, you can often use these tools to safely head downhill to find water. And bring a couple of water bladders so that you can carry extra water, if you have to.

We have plenty of shelters, plenty of campsites, and several hostels/hotels/motels/etc. (if you decide that you need a night off of the trail).

Whatever you decide, this sounds like it could be one of those adventures that you'll always remember. Don't hesitate to PM me if you want some more specific info - I'm with BMECC; we maintain from the Rausch Gap shelter north to almost the Lehigh River.

Have a good one!

shelterbuilder.

Appalachian Tater
07-07-2008, 20:53
Why don't you do the Ohio to Erie trail from Cleveland down through Columbus to Cincinnati?

Wherever you end up hiking, it sounds like a great plan. Enjoy your freedom while you have it.

funkcicle
07-07-2008, 21:30
In line with MOWGLI's suggestion, you might consider just submerging yourself in the large trail system within New York's Adirondack State Park, known to hikers as the DAKs. The mountains are as rugged as anything you'll find on the AT. The views from the high peaks are spectacular. In between the peaks are beautiful lakes and rushing streams. It's really an amazing area -- the largest state park in the lower 48, I read somewhere. Quite wild. (Bear canisters are required now.) Some of my more memorable hikes were in the DAKs.

+1 on the Adirondacks. 6,000,000 acres of beautiful backcountry that belongs to all of us. I've been up there every few weeks over the last few months conditioning myself for a 4-8 weeks on the AT(starting next week!!). Blackflies are a bit of a nuisance from about now through August which is why I'm going down south.. I'm a weirdo who loves the summer heat, though.. the weather in the DAKs is much 'nicer' this time of year by conventional standards.

Best of luck in your journey Ryan, hope you can make the most of it!

Pepper Beard
07-07-2008, 23:27
Greyhound is quite expensive these days, for example Cleveland to Harrisburg is $86.50 one way. They used to have a discount for advance purchases but I can't seem to find that feature anymore. If you got to pay that fare each way, that's nearly half your $400 budget gone already.

Why not Duncannon on the AT and head south? You could detour at Harper's Ferry and even hike to Washington DC via the C&O canal. You'll even have swimming opportunities along the way... And it's fairly easy but that climb out of Duncannon on non-hiker legs will make you feel the burn.

Anyhow, i will say this... if you have problems at home... they aren't going to go away by hiking... What hiking may do though is give you a chance to think things out and give you a break...

Anyhow, I wish you the best.

4eyedbuzzard
07-07-2008, 23:35
Like pepperbeard said, what you leave behind will likely be waiting for you when you return, hopefully it won't grow while you're gone, and you'll approach it anew when you return. Even if there's some issues make sure you let people know what you're doing - don't just disappear.

Have fun on your hike, sounds like you need a break.;)

Wags
07-07-2008, 23:38
if you're going to head into harrisburg then i suggest getting a ride up to pine grove furnace state park - probably 30 or 40 minute drive, tops. before you leave harrisburg check out the capital building. it's very pretty and free. you can fill up your water at the fountains there, enjoy some fishing in the big lake, and it's the middle of the AT. you could head either direction and get a sweet little section hike in, then just bus back to harrisburg...

phenimore
07-09-2008, 15:09
Try the North Country Trail (http://www.northcountrytrail.org/). You can start in Allegheny State Park. That's closer to home than the AT, and will save you $$ on both ends of the trip.

Seconded, check this one out for something close by and beautiful.
I'm a big fan of the Allegany region. Letchworth, Finger Lakes, Adirondacks are all cool... I don't know much outside of NY though.