PDA

View Full Version : Rain Man

Tennessee Viking
07-07-2008, 14:25
After some unsuccessful searching going in both directions, I finally hooked up with Rain Man & daughter Patricia at US 421 on Holston Mtn. We chatted with another couple hikers. They continued onward toward Damascus after a night at Ab. Gap Shelter.

Odd Thomas
07-07-2008, 14:29
Woulda guessed 400 Oak St. ;)

Rain Man
07-07-2008, 20:51
After some unsuccessful searching going in both directions, I finally hooked up with Rain Man & daughter Patricia at US 421 on Holston Mtn.

We enjoyed meeting you, Tennessee Viking, and appreciated all the trouble you went to, to find us. We did stay at Abingdon Gap Shelter last night and hiked the 10 miles into Damascus this morning. Had showers and lunch at The Only Wanderer's place.

Patricia is ready to go back out on the trail.

Rain:sunMan

Lost My Mind
07-07-2008, 21:47
You couldn't have a better host than TOW! Say hi for me, and enjoy the rest of your hike!

Tennessee Viking
07-08-2008, 00:39
I hope you didnt get rained on again. I drove back home and hit one huge rain storm in Elizabethton, and another south of Kingsport going toward Holston.

Lilred
07-08-2008, 00:41
Well, he is the Rain Man, after all. He always gets rained on..... Glad you're having a great time. Give TOW a hug for me

Rain Man
07-08-2008, 10:31
I hope you didnt get rained on again. I drove back home and hit one huge rain storm in Elizabethton, and another south of Kingsport going toward Holston.

We had a really nice display of God's fireworks on Sunday evening after we left you at Hwy 421 and reached Abingdon Gap Shelter. We were finishing dinner with Zeke and The Happy Camper (husband and wife) when it began raining.

By the time I crawled under my tarp onto the soft grass lawn of that Shelter, an honest-to-goodness thunderstorm was in Shady Valley. The flashes of lightning and booms of thunder were sufficiently distant to be enjoyed. It was raining and windy on the mountain top where we were, but just enough to remind us we were out in the woods.

My daughter tried out my modified (zippers) Hennessey Hammock and loved it. Said it was better than the plywood floor of the shelters.

In fact, of the four of us at the shelter that night, not one of us slept in the shelter, in spite of the thunderstorm. Zeke and THC also sleep in HHs.

dmax
07-08-2008, 20:05
I heard Lake Shore Marina had fireworks on the 4th. I hope you all got to see them and had a great hike.

Rain Man
07-08-2008, 21:09
I heard Lake Shore Marina had fireworks on the 4th. I hope you all got to see them and had a great hike.

No, saw no man-made fireworks and don't know where Lake Shore Marina is, unfortunately. Did hear some, though.

Yes, had a great hike. My daughter wants to go back and hike some more of the AT. That's the important thing.

I just returned from REI, where I bought a patch kit for my Therm-a-rest. I got to sleep (or try to) on the hard plywood floor at Watauga Lake Shelter on Friday night on a flat inflatable mattress. YUCK.

Cookerhiker
07-08-2008, 21:27
......I just returned from REI, where I bought a patch kit for my Therm-a-rest. I got to sleep (or try to) on the hard plywood floor at Watauga Lake Shelter on Friday night on a flat inflatable mattress. YUCK.

One night earlier, I "enjoyed" the same experience sleeping on my Thermarest while camped in the Dolly Sods Wilderness (http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/mnf/rec/wilderness_areas/dolly_sods_brochure.pdf)in my tent on a night of pouring rain. Awoke at midnight, re-inflated it and slept another 3 hours at which time it was deflated again. After re-inflating it yet again, it lasted until 6 when I got up.

At home I blew it up and it only lost some air; the leak is very subtle. I visited the Thermarest website and decided to ship it to them. They'll either repair or replace it. This will be the second time I've sent it to the company - I find them quite responsive.

envirodiver
07-08-2008, 21:52
No, saw no man-made fireworks and don't know where Lake Shore Marina is, unfortunately. Did hear some, though.

Yes, had a great hike. My daughter wants to go back and hike some more of the AT. That's the important thing.

I just returned from REI, where I bought a patch kit for my Therm-a-rest. I got to sleep (or try to) on the hard plywood floor at Watauga Lake Shelter on Friday night on a flat inflatable mattress. YUCK.

I think you are supposed to have air in it. I'm just sayin.

Sounds like you had a great trip. Sorry I missed it.