PDA

View Full Version : Lost up "north"

Jimbo0104
02-24-2004, 21:09
I grew up in the Smokies in East Tennessee and for some unknown reason I chose to go to school in Annapolis MD. (it seemed like a good idea at the time). Now that I'm in my second year (and still getting used to the absense of sweet tea) I'm finding a lot more time to pursue my interests, namely I want to get back in the mountains with my pack and sleeping bag. The problem is I'm really unfamiliar with the trails here "up north" so I'm timid to just go out as I am typicaly confined to weekend hiking during the academic semesters. I'm looking for any ideas of trails to hike both day and overnights or anyone in the area who'd like to get together and show me around.

Go easy,
Jimbo

Kozmic Zian
02-24-2004, 21:56
Yea......Jimbo. Head up to Harpers Ferry, find the ATC Headquarters. They'll give you lots o' information about where and how to hike The AT. Also, you could call or hook up on line with the PATC (Potomac Appalachian Trail Conference). If you need web-sites or p #'s email me. Also, The Great Falls Hiking Trails up the George Washington Parkway on the VA. side. Good Hiking. KZ@
[email protected]

Skyline
02-24-2004, 22:29
You're not THAT far from Hiker Heaven, i.e., Shenandoah National Park (500 miles of trails including 100 miles of the A.T.) and George Washington National Forest. Do a Google search for either one and your spirits will be awakened.

Moon Monster
02-24-2004, 23:50
I've often wondered where the sweet tea line (analagous to Mason-Dixon line) is. It appears to be a gradual fade out around No. VA and Maryland. I'm in the DC area, so I suffer. If you have any Chick-Fil-As nearby, though, they have some smackin good sweet tea.

Fo trails, if you can drive for a couple hours, you have some options (though, it will not be quite like Eastern Tenn/Western NC.) The northern entrance to SNP will be about a 2 hour drive for you early on a weekend. You can get to Western MD quicker and there are lots of trails in the state, even in the chesapeake region. Also, a little longer drive can put you in Eastern Penn. or even New Jersey, which also have great trails.

For info on western Maryland and Virginia, check out http://www.patc.net. For some hiking clubs that often even have shuttles if you don't have a car, check out the DC area hiking clubs link at http://members.aol.com/nvhc/ Penna's main hiking club is the Keystone Trails Assoc. at http://www.kta-hike.org/
Here's some more Maryland trails info for the whole state: http://www.slackpacker.com/map_md.html

enjoy!

snowshoe
02-26-2004, 13:38
ALso try this site www.localhikes.com You may find some great hikes in that aea. I had to laugh when you said up North to me Maryland is down south. When I here up North I think of the Dacks.

azchipka
02-26-2004, 13:50
Ok so i know this should be in another forum but no one will understand where the question came from if i start a topic on it. What is Sweet Tea? I have always live in the North. My assumption at this moment is Sweet Tea is what i drink which is tea with honey, sugar, or something else that makes it sweet. But if that was the case i can't imagine there is any place that doesnt have honey, so I know i must be wrong.

So that leaves me with the question of what is sweet tea? :confused:

Jaybird
02-26-2004, 13:53
I grew up in the Smokies in East Tennessee and for some unknown reason I chose to go to school in Annapolis MD. (it seemed like a good idea at the time). Now that I'm in my second year (and still getting used to the absense of sweet tea) I'm finding a lot more time to pursue my interests, namely I want to get back in the mountains with my pack and sleeping bag. The problem is I'm really unfamiliar with the trails here "up north" so I'm timid to just go out as I am typicaly confined to weekend hiking during the academic semesters. I'm looking for any ideas of trails to hike both day and overnights or anyone in the area who'd like to get together and show me around.,
Jimbo

Yo Jimbo:

check your local phone book for Local Hiking Clubs!
Most times local clubs will welcome "visitors & newcomers" on any hike.

This way you'll get exposure to trails in your area & get to meet new hiker friends!

I visited California recently, & did a day-hike with a local hike club there thru John Muir Woods. It was great!

seeya UP the trail!

p.s.: "SWEETEA" is still ONE WORD down here in the south! :D

squirrel bait
02-26-2004, 14:27
So that leaves me with the question of what is sweet tea? :confused:[/QUOTE]

Tea that has been run through a Bunn Omatic, or as I call it, hotted up, sugar added so it melt good, diluted and iced. Mmmmmmm Swwweeeeeettttttt.

bobgessner57
02-26-2004, 14:43
Yankee tea is generally served hot with sweetener added.
Dixie tea is ALWAYS served cold and is sweetener with tea added. Refills are free, too.

My mother in law's tea is requires that the tea be boiled in order for the sugar to dissolve. It is then cooled and stored in the fridge to be served on ice, never consumed hot.

One Leg
02-26-2004, 14:58
Jimbo:
Being just on the other side of Morristown, I ain't that far from ya.
Have you been over to Cumbarland Gap park? There's some trails over there that're pretty awesome, as are the ones at Panther Creek park in Morristown.......If you're looking for trails up north, the only one I'm famaliar with is in Pennsylvania, the Laurel Highlands Trail.(Now that an awesome trail...)
My A.T. hike starts in 25 more days........Drop me an email and let's try to get in a couple of local trails before I go for the big one.
"One-Leg"

bobgessner57
02-26-2004, 15:17
Jimbo: got sidetracked on sweet tea. The national forests up your way have some good trail systems. Check them out on the web or look in the book/map section at the outfitters. There are lots of places along the Shenandoah Valley and on over in northern West VA. Dolly Sods in West VA is on my short list but haven't been there yet and not sure of the road time from Annapolis.
Don't know about overnight in the area but a place I want to check out in MD northwest of Harpers Ferry is the Cranesville subarctic swamp- I believe it is state property, sounds weird enough to be interesting.

snowshoe
02-27-2004, 08:18
So that leaves me with the question of what is sweet tea? :confused:

Tea that has been run through a Bunn Omatic, or as I call it, hotted up, sugar added so it melt good, diluted and iced. Mmmmmmm Swwweeeeeettttttt.[/QUOTE]

I never heard of sweettea, must be a southern thing, like grites. I figured it was a drink then I also thought it was another word for great scenery or something like that. You learn something new everyday.

Chappy
02-27-2004, 13:41
Tea that has been run through a Bunn Omatic, or as I call it, hotted up, sugar added so it melt good, diluted and iced. Mmmmmmm Swwweeeeeettttttt.

I never heard of sweettea, must be a southern thing, like grites. I figured it was a drink then I also thought it was another word for great scenery or something like that. You learn something new everyday.[/QUOTE]

That would be....grits....not grites. :)