PDA

View Full Version : is my water setup okay?

tmoneygetpaid
07-07-2008, 19:01
so I'm leaving for my Southbound through-hike with my sister on Wednesday (!) and the last thing I wanted to assure myself of was that my water setup would be okay.

My pack (nimbus ozone) doesn't have a good bladder storage system, so I'm planning on bringing a couple nalgenes (a 32 oz. and a 48 oz.) and using a gallon ziploc to gather water for filtration with my hiker filter.

sound okay or do i need to rethink?

Nest
07-07-2008, 19:32
You can use a 2 or 3 liter water bladder with that pack f you want. Just lay it on top of the pack before you buckle the straps, and use the two straps on top to secure it to the top of your pack. Maybe wrap it in your rain jacket or something to help keep it from heating up in the sun.

take-a-knee
07-07-2008, 19:36
so I'm leaving for my Southbound through-hike with my sister on Wednesday (!) and the last thing I wanted to assure myself of was that my water setup would be okay.

My pack (nimbus ozone) doesn't have a good bladder storage system, so I'm planning on bringing a couple nalgenes (a 32 oz. and a 48 oz.) and using a gallon ziploc to gather water for filtration with my hiker filter.

That isn't enough water storage for starters. You must have a cup of some sort to collect water in many places. A gatorade bottle is lighter than a nalgene by several ounces. There is no reason to tote a nalgene unless you plan to put boiling water in it for a bag heater or you plan to mix protein shakes in it, then you'll need boiling water in it to clean it.

If your Nimbus is like my Vapor Trail, you can carry a 70oz platy between the pack and the framesheet upside down with the drinking tube clipped onto your packstrap.

The gal zioloc is a good idea for "extra" water, like for cooking and washing when the spring is a long way from camp, but I wouldn't rely on it for daily use. I like the slider tab gal bags for my maps, when they start to get worn they get used as trash bags.

tmoneygetpaid
07-07-2008, 19:47
I imagine I could carry a bladder between the outside of the pack and the area where the straps go around the back of it, too. Either way, I guess I'm heading to REI to get one tomorrow.

The ziploc I was planning on just using for filtration-- ie I catch water in it from streams and whatnot and then put my filter intake in there.

What is this cup? For catching rain you mean? or what?

ty

RBoone
07-07-2008, 19:58
Sometimes it is necessary to scoop water, thus the need for a cup.

bigcranky
07-07-2008, 19:59
Your second thoughts are normal, but in this case probably warranted. The gallon ziploc won't stand up by itself for filtering, and won't collect enough water at a time. (You can't get a whole gallon of water in the bag and carry it.) I use a 6-liter Platy Big zip to collect and treat water, and it's just barely large enough for two people to use. Plus the Ziploc will start to leak very quickly. Finally, if you need to store or carry extra water, I would trust the Platy more than the Ziploc.

Water bottles are fine, though it sounds like you could use a bladder if you really want to. I use 1-liter Aqua Fina bottles; they are 1/4 the weight of a Nalgene and plenty tough, plus they are cheap and ubiquitous.

I know you are hiking in Maine, and I don't know the water situation there, but in the South right now I would want to be able to carry 3 or more liters when needed. (Which can be pretty often with the drought.)

Appalachian Tater
07-07-2008, 20:14
You're getting good advice all around. Some people like using water bottles but most people like being able to drink from a tube as they move along. I use a water bladder and an Aquafina or Gatorade or similar bottle to mix powdered drinks in or carry out the rest of that carton of orange juice I didn't drink in town.

I have the same pack and put my water bladder on top of everything else just before I close the drawstring top and cinch everything down, the tube just comes out the top, I don't use the special hole. Just make sure that you have the cap on very tight because if it leaks, you have a mess, it might even be worth keeping in a ziplock just in case.

The built-in water bladder pocket is absolutely useless because you have to practically empty the pack to get the bladder out. You can get rid of that elastic cord in there and save some weight. You might also want to cut off a little of the hip belt and melt the ends so it doesn't flop around.

If you bought one of those lids they sell, make sure you have it on right so the pocket is just sitting there and all the force is going through the straps, not the holes in the corners of the pockets. I had mine on wrong for a while and have seen other people with it on wrong, too, and when you cinch it down it strains and eventually tears up the lid.

Good luck and have fun.

rafe
07-07-2008, 20:22

Say what? The Nimbus Ozone has a perfectly good usable sleeve. I use it along with a 3-quart Platy bag.

It's not a perfect setup; as Tater mentions, you'll need to empty a good portion of the pack to remove the bladder entirely. OTOH, when used with a water filter, there's no need to remove the bladder -- I just connect the drinking tube to the filter output and pump away. The other disadvantage is that it's hard to tell how much water you've used or how much is left. I carry a 20 oz soda or Gatorade bottle as backup.

Summit
07-07-2008, 21:35
If you like drinking through a tube (I don't) then a bladder may suit you well. Otherwise go with something like this for gathering camp water, at only 7.3 oz:

http://www.rei.com/product/402099

Easy to tote, and the spout is great. Your two Nalgenes should be fine for carrying your daily hiking water needs. ;)

Oh yeah, the price won't break the bank either! :)

Lone Wolf
07-07-2008, 21:39

that's fine. all i ever carry is a nalgene and a gatoraid bottle. no cup

Summit
07-07-2008, 21:43
I have had rare occasions where a cup-like utensil was needed to collect water. The bottom cover of my JetBoil acts as a cup and meets this need! ;)

saimyoji
07-07-2008, 21:53
In the summer in PA I never hike with less than 4L of water. I don't usually camp near shelters or water sources though. You can always add another gatorade bottle later. I hear there's plenty of water in ME right now. :cool:

take-a-knee
07-07-2008, 21:55
Say what? The Nimbus Ozone has a perfectly good usable sleeve. I use it along with a 3-quart Platy bag.

It's not a perfect setup; as Tater mentions, you'll need to empty a good portion of the pack to remove the bladder entirely. OTOH, when used with a water filter, there's no need to remove the bladder -- I just connect the drinking tube to the filter output and pump away. The other disadvantage is that it's hard to tell how much water you've used or how much is left. I carry a 20 oz soda or Gatorade bottle as backup.

I like those 20oz gatorade bottles also, they fit well in those Granite Gear "spandex" side pockets.

Footslogger
07-07-2008, 22:02
[quote=tmoneygetpaid;660811] ... and using a gallon ziploc to gather water for filtration with my hiker filter.

===============================

I would suggest you bring some extra gallon ziplocks or consider a 2 or 4 Liter Platypus. The Platy's weigh a little more but are a lot more durable. I carried one all the way from Springer to Katahdin in 2003 exactly for the purpose you are using the ziplocks.

'Slogger

Slo-go'en
07-07-2008, 22:41
I usually use two 20 oz plastic pop bottles in my side pockets for water, but will switch to 32 oz bottles when I go and start the NJ to VT section next week. I hope that will be enough!

For lugging water back from the spring (which can often be a long walk, up hill of course) I have a nylon tote bag with a 2 gallon zip lock in it. I can hang the bag and then filter from the bag. I don't like to filter direct from a spring or stream, as it sturs up the sediment. I wouldn't try to carry water in my pack with the zip lock though, thats asking for trouble.

I don't like the water bladders thingies. I've seen too many of them leak - usually due to operator error and I'd likely be one of them. Plus, when full they take up valuable space in the pack. Anyway, if I need a drink, I probably need to take the pack off and rest a few minutes anyway and is a good excuse to do so.

rafe
07-07-2008, 22:56
Anyway, if I need a drink, I probably need to take the pack off and rest a few minutes anyway and is a good excuse to do so.

I used to use the same rationalization. But here's the thing. You're walking and walking, looking for "just the right spot" for that short rest break and drink... and you know how it goes -- that perfect spot just refuses to appear. With a hydration system, you don't need to stop or take off your pack -- so you end up taking a sip here, a sip there, whenever the urge strikes. Bottom line: I think it's a better scheme for staying properly hydrated.

Appalachian Tater
07-07-2008, 22:58
I usually use two 20 oz plastic pop bottles in my side pockets for water, but will switch to 32 oz bottles when I go and start the NJ to VT section next week. I hope that will be enough!

For lugging water back from the spring (which can often be a long walk, up hill of course) I have a nylon tote bag with a 2 gallon zip lock in it. I can hang the bag and then filter from the bag. I don't like to filter direct from a spring or stream, as it sturs up the sediment. I wouldn't try to carry water in my pack with the zip lock though, thats asking for trouble.

I don't like the water bladders thingies. I've seen too many of them leak - usually due to operator error and I'd likely be one of them. Plus, when full they take up valuable space in the pack. Anyway, if I need a drink, I probably need to take the pack off and rest a few minutes anyway and is a good excuse to do so.
1. You can drink several gallons of water a day hiking in the summer. 64 oz is nothing on a hot day.
2. You don't stir up sediment if you use that little black marshmallow float and push it all the way out to the end so your intake is floating.
3. The problem with stopping to drink is that you don't drink enough if you have to stop and take off your pack to drink. See #1. If you're going to go with this plan, learn the early signs of dehydration, it sure can ruin your day and make you feel crappy.
4. There is nothing that you carry more important than water. Don't begrudge it the space or weight it requires.

Sissygirl
07-07-2008, 23:28
Geez... making me wonder about what we are taking for 2 days/1 nite for myself and son. Each of us will carry a 2.5 liter MSR bladder, 3 20-oz. bottles, qt. gatorade bottle with several gatorade mixes.

Slo-go'en
07-07-2008, 23:51
1. You can drink several gallons of water a day hiking in the summer. 64 oz is nothing on a hot day.
2. You don't stir up sediment if you use that little black marshmallow float and push it all the way out to the end so your intake is floating.
3. The problem with stopping to drink is that you don't drink enough if you have to stop and take off your pack to drink. See #1. If you're going to go with this plan, learn the early signs of dehydration, it sure can ruin your day and make you feel crappy.
4. There is nothing that you carry more important than water. Don't begrudge it the space or weight it requires.

All that is very true. I do most of my hiking in the sping or fall and in places that have frequent water sources, so doing NJ to VT in mid summer is going to be a bit different than what I'm used to.

But when I do do summer trips, I drink as much as I can before I head out in the morning and when I hit a water source. I get up at dawn and try to do the "10 by 10" or atleast 10 by 12 thing. In the afternoon, I slow way, way down or stop altogether, then finish in the evening.

I will also be using a lightly loaded external frame pack with lots of room to spare and can carry a ton of water if/when I have to. Finally, I have a rather unique water filter that uses a fairly large cartrage which sits in the water. I found pumping out of a bag the best way to use this type of filter. The type which has a hose between the filter and water source is no problem direct from the source. Even so, its often easier to lug a whole lot of water back to camp and deal with it there.

take-a-knee
07-08-2008, 00:18
I used to use the same rationalization. But here's the thing. You're walking and walking, looking for "just the right spot" for that short rest break and drink... and you know how it goes -- that perfect spot just refuses to appear. With a hydration system, you don't need to stop or take off your pack -- so you end up taking a sip here, a sip there, whenever the urge strikes. Bottom line: I think it's a better scheme for staying properly hydrated.

I agree. Back in my army medic days, my M5 bag was loaded with IV bags when we started a road march, they'd all been infused a few hours later. When the army started issuing camelbacks, the number of heat-casualties I had to treat dropped dramatically, they work as advertised.

tmoneygetpaid
07-08-2008, 12:54
Thanks all around. Off to the store right now to get a big platypus.

Then going to the grocery store to get big aqua fina bottles. Leaving the nalgenes at home.

Berserker
07-08-2008, 13:03
I use two Platypus 1 liter Hosers, and keep them in my outside water bottle pockets (McHale pack) along with my filter. So I can drink on the move and fill them up easily. For camp I also have a soda bottle and two 2 liter Platypus tanks (these have handles on them).

Summit put in a link to a 2.5 gallon foldable container. Another lighter option is a foldable bucket. I have one made by Seattle Sports that weighs exactly 3 oz and holds up to 3 gal. The only downside to the bucket is that it is hard to fill in small springs. Also, it can be a little tippy if not set on level ground.

Summit
07-08-2008, 13:42
Summit put in a link to a 2.5 gallon foldable container. I read the reviews on REI on this Reliance collapsible jug, and they are bogus. I've been carrying one for 20+ years and never had any leaks around the threads of the spout, never had the handle metal rings come open. Sure, after folding plastic in the same place enough times (corners of the jug where you collapse it) it will eventually crack and leak, soooooo you buy a new one for $7 every few years or several hundred uses, whichever comes sooner! :eek: :)

Compared to the relatively easy to spring leaks bladder bags that I've heard many who carry them complain about, this baby is quite rugged and will hold up better and longer than the bladders.