PDA

View Full Version : Water

Sissygirl
07-07-2008, 22:55
This is probably a silly thing to ask..but how do you decide how much water to take for a weekend outing, say 2 days and a nite? The question came up when my son and I decided to do a 20-mile hike.

rafe
07-07-2008, 23:00
This is probably a silly thing to ask..but how do you decide how much water to take for a weekend outing, say 2 days and a nite? The question came up when my son and I decided to do a 20-mile hike.

Well, I don't usually plan water for a day, much less a weekend. I size up the terrain in front of me in terms of the probability of finding water -- and that generally determines how much I'll carry. You get the hang of it after a while... though almost everyone mis-calculates occasionally. Better to carry too much than not enough, IMO.

4eyedbuzzard
07-07-2008, 23:26
You can look here (http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm)at the online Companion and see where there is water available along your route. You'll need to verify that the water sources aren't dry. The best way is usually to ask other hikers coming from that direction and to read trail and shelter registers, ask rangers, etc. I usually try not to carry more than 2 liters while actually hiking unless it's very hot or it's a long way between sources, or the next source is dried up etc. Down south you may need to carry more than that in the summer if it's really hot and springs have dried up. How much water you need to drink depends a lot upon the temp and humidity. Try to "camel up" (drink your fill) at every water source to avoid carrying more than necessary. Also, if water sources at campsite or shelter is a long way off or dry, bring plenty extra from the last source for cooking dinner AND breakfast, cleaning, etc. Usually there is a water source near shelters and campsites. I use a roll top stuff sack that holds about a gallon for extra water gathering once I make camp. I also have an extra gallon zip lock for emergency use if needed. Always error on the side of too much water. It takes a bit of experience to figure it all out. A good rule of thumb is that if you're hitting the next water sources with a liter in reserve you're pretty safe in most conditions.

Tennessee Viking
07-08-2008, 00:12
Packing your own water in is not as easy as it looks. You really want to look at where you are hiking and how much recent rain it has been getting.

Bulldawg
07-17-2008, 21:17
All advice given here is sound advice. I tend to over do it on water when I hike. But I believe in the better safe than sorry. I almost always come back with one or two meals too many as well. Adds to my weight, but I'm never hungry or thirsty!!

Tinker
07-17-2008, 21:36
So true, better safe than sorry. I look at the trail maps and locate the water sources. Sometimes I carry one quart, sometimes two, depending on distance between sources. I also carry a filter. Carrying water from home only goes so far. It's far more convenient to filter than to boil it or take chances with contamination (pesticides and herbicides moreso than giardia and crypto). In hot weather I can drink a quart per hour during strenuous hiking.

hopefulhiker
07-17-2008, 21:55
I always try to carry one to two litres of water under normal conditions on the AT.. During times of drought I have carried as much as four litres at a time. I always carry two water bottles, water treatment, and some kind of wide bottlle or cup to collect water.

bluffhead
07-09-2009, 08:02
you only had 4 liters? thats alot. hmm i drink about a liter every 2 hours or so just on a normal day. will i be going thirsty on a thru hike or just carrying alot of weight?

mister krabs
07-09-2009, 08:29
you only had 4 liters? thats alot. hmm i drink about a liter every 2 hours or so just on a normal day. will i be going thirsty on a thru hike or just carrying alot of weight?

Depends on how long of a walk it is to the next water source.

LaurieAnn
07-09-2009, 10:15
It depends on so much... water sources, terrain, weather (heat), and such. Generally we go through about 2 litres each per day including water for rehydrating foods... in the hotter weather it can be more.

sarbar
07-09-2009, 11:28
2L in summer is what I drink before breaking camp. I'd hedge I drink another couple liters during the day in high summer. Add in water at night for cooking.

I tend to plot out water sources so I know what and where to find more. In dry areas I make notes on where springs are hidden, etc. Or where I will need to tank up and carry. Hit one spot last year on the PCT were there was no water source from breakfast to dinner. Carried 4L that day! And used all of it. (And it was early winter that trip!)

sarbar
07-09-2009, 11:29
I meant to add that unless I am walking a trail with tons of lakes or creeks I carry 2L of water with me at all times.
Having run out once I try not to make that mistake again!

Ox97GaMe
07-09-2009, 11:49
best idea is to plan to resupply water throughout the day as you are hiking. Water is HEAVY to carry. 8 pounds per gallon. carry a filter or tablets to treat any water you get in the woods.

On the AT, unless in PA, you should be ok with 2 litres each. When you are down to less than 1 litre, start looking for water sources. Dont wait until you are completely out. There is usually some sort of water source about every 2-3 miles along the AT, but that isnt a definite rule. When at a water source, drink a reasonable amout there. (called cameling up) Then leave with full bottles. Too often, I see folks fill their bottles, then drink about 1/4 of a litre 5 min down the trail.

Keep pack weight down so as to give yourself a reasonable chance of maintaining at or above 1 mph pace and you should be fine.

Plodderman
07-09-2009, 13:38
I usually drink about 3 - 4 liters a day when hiking so carrying it with me is not an option. I carry two one liter bottles with me and that seems to work well.

I try to drink the last drop before the next water source so as to not carry to much extra weight.

But I do not hike anywhere without first checking the water sources before starting.

Good luck on your hike.

Allen1901
07-09-2009, 15:03
Drinking, cooking, and hygene considered, I average one gallon per day.
More in hot weather, less in cooler weather. I carry two liters at a time.

Cheers!

LaurieAnn
07-09-2009, 19:06
If I remember correctly water weighs about 10 pounds per gallon so if you can plan resupply stops along the way it is much easier on your back. I have to carry water for both my son and I so it is a definite consideration with our hikes.

LaurieAnn
07-09-2009, 19:09
sorry Ox97GaMe.. I missed the fact that you had already posted the water weight earlier... and I think your 8 pounds might be a little more accurate (I might have screwed up my math in the conversion).

Hikes in Rain
07-10-2009, 06:32
If I remember correctly water weighs about 10 pounds per gallon so if you can plan resupply stops along the way it is much easier on your back. I have to carry water for both my son and I so it is a definite consideration with our hikes.

8.34 lb/gal and 7.48 gal/CF. Sorry, sometimes the geek in me comes out. Can't do a thing about it.

LaurieAnn
07-10-2009, 09:18
Yes... I screwed up my math... but close enough. Bottom line is that it is heavy and I'd rather drag out the filter from time to time than carry a lot of water if at all possible.

My 2 L per day per person amount doesn't include what we use at camp... just what we use when we are on the move and eating on the go. Tobias (my little guy) and I tend to drink more than Bryan (my husband). I generally use platys or source liquitainers just because of the weight of the container itself and then we each have a 500 ml personal drinking bottle (different colors). I don't allow people to drink from the other containers only their personal bottle. Hygiene or lack of it is the biggest cause of illnesses on the trail.

Hikes in Rain
07-10-2009, 12:17
"About ten pounds" is probably close enough, since you also need to consider the container weight. Either way, it's heavy and bulky, so you don't want to carry too much too far if you can help it. Among other things, I'm a water resource engineer, so those two figures are permanently engraved into my memory.

LaurieAnn
07-10-2009, 13:10
Ah... that explains it... lol. I used to do web work for Prominent Fluid Controls. I did a water disinfection resource site for them shortly after the Walkerton disaster up here.