PDA

View Full Version : sigg bottles and the environment

Wags
07-07-2008, 23:51
anyone using these w/ any success? i'm really trying to convince myself to transition toward using these instead of plastic, for personal reasons. i'm concerned w/ their durability though, having read a number of reviews that they dent easily

Jimmers
07-08-2008, 17:22
I've been using one for three or four years now. It does dent and scratch easily if dropped, but so far it seems to be holding up quite well in spite of my efforts to destroy it. None of them have affected its function, but the bottle sure doesn't look pretty anymore. Now it just has plenty of character.:)

skar578
07-08-2008, 21:05
my friend had one last year, and we were playing soccer, and someone hit the ball into the bottle, knocking it off the picnic table and strait into the rock pebble ground.

it was dented, yea, but it survived

Odd Thomas
07-08-2008, 21:35
I have one labeled "I am NOT plastic!", haven't dented it yet, but I haven't dropped it yet. :)

I've been leaving it at home lately, because people bust my chops over it's label, and I'm tired of hearing how just using a plastic bottle that's already here and therefore carbon neutral vs. Europeans manufacturing an aluminum bottle specifically for me and shipping it halfway around the world would be better.

I'm going to cover that label with a foam cozy. Maybe that'll prevent denting too. :rolleyes:

Marta
07-08-2008, 21:37
We've had a couple of Sigg bottles in use since the 90s. My husband likes them. I carry plastic because it's lighter.

Tinker
07-08-2008, 22:49
There's a stainless Sigg knock-off (I bet the manufacturer wouldn't like the "knock-off" designation) that I've been thinking would be ideal for backcountry travel. Besides being unaffected by salts and acids, I think that you could probably put one right into a fire to boil water (taking the plastic cap off first, of course). Would be just the thing for minimalist hiking as long as you could get a fire started.

Odd Thomas
07-09-2008, 00:30
Brontons come in Widemouth.

https://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/product.asp?s_id=0&dept_id=10032&pf_id=10037334&mscssid=

wacbzz
07-09-2008, 08:06
My wife uses 2 Sigg bottles for everyday drinking while I use a Nalgene Everyday bottle. The Nalgene seems to weigh less (I've never actually weighed them - just doing the hand to hand "test") and for me, is easier to drink out of. Different strokes for different folks though.

BTW, the new Everyday bottles are BPA free in case that has anything to do with why you are switching...

MOWGLI
07-09-2008, 08:08
BTW, the new Everyday bottles are BPA free in case that has anything to do with why you are switching...

Bought one a few weeks ago. I plan to buy a 32 oz Sigg to go with my new BPA free bottle.