PDA

View Full Version : Damascus Fires Another Police Chief

TOW
07-08-2008, 08:54
http://www.tricities.com/tri/news/local/article/damascus_holds_closed_meeting/11392/

Sly
07-08-2008, 09:25
Trail Days was mentioned...

Appalachian Tater
07-08-2008, 09:37
This information is directly relevant to the safety and security of every hiker who passes through Damascus. Prudent hikers take this kind of thing into consideration when planning a hike and also when dealing with locals and local authorities. Agreed. It has to do with the safety of a trail town. This is certainly more important than something like a restaurant closing. The last Police Chief got arrested for selling meth not much more than a year ago. The FBI, ATF, DEA, and state police were all involved.
http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/121987

Pedaling Fool
07-08-2008, 09:42
Yes, it's interesting, something to talk about, but as a hiker I don't do anything different as I pass through.

What do you do differently as you pass through after reading this news?

Wise Old Owl
07-08-2008, 09:52
Easy pass thru - Don't Stop there. Sorry LW.

The article points out that the police in Damascus which is the "mortar" to the very foundation of the town are suffering from a PR problem and political problem as they try to do their important job. In a town nearby me that has many problems, the Chief is under fire as well, I am glad I don't have to travel or pass though. Police are held to a very high standard, and are not known for their ability to be sociable. Sounds like the town council is making a huge issue over an officer who made a social mistake and should have asked permission.

Appalachian Tater
07-08-2008, 09:52
Yes, it's interesting, something to talk about, but as a hiker I don't do anything different as I pass through.

What do you do differently as you pass through after reading this news?Well, if you read the article, and you didn't feel comfortable with the police walking into someone's home without a warrant and other related behavior serious enough to have the City Council apologize, you might decide that it was not somewhere you wanted to spend the night and risk having your rights violated.

Since there has been a car theft ring operating there, you might not feel comfortable leaving your car there while hiking knowing that the police department is ineffective.

Many hikers have made Damascus their home because it is a trail town, and someone might decide that it is not a place they want to live and buy a house and raise children if there is no effective and consistent law enforcement.

Especially if you were female or had children with you, in light of inconsistent law enforcement in Damascus, you might would want to take extra precautions from the 3 registered, convicted child molesters living in Damascus and the 62 assorted child molesters, rapists, and other sex offenders living in adjacent zip codes.

http://sex-offender.vsp.virginia.gov/sor/servlet/SOR?form=4&ftr=*&iio=N&cnn=&zip=24236&otype=*&cz=24236,24210,24212,24211,24340,24319,24378,24292&page=1

Lone Wolf
07-08-2008, 09:53
Easy pass thru - Don't Stop there. Sorry LW.

huh?....

Alligator
07-08-2008, 10:16
Take it easy folks. TOW posted it. The trail runs right through there so it is relevant. If you guys want to talk about it go ahead. If you want to fight about it, that's going to ruin my already beautiful sunny morning.

I know I've said this before and it's in the TOS, but if you have a problem with the thread use the report post icon or PM me or another admin.

Lone Wolf
07-08-2008, 10:35
Well, if you read the article, and you didn't feel comfortable with the police walking into someone's home without a warrant and other related behavior serious enough to have the City Council apologize, you might decide that it was not somewhere you wanted to spend the night and risk having your rights violated.

Since there has been a car theft ring operating there, you might not feel comfortable leaving your car there while hiking knowing that the police department is ineffective.

Many hikers have made Damascus their home because it is a trail town, and someone might decide that it is not a place they want to live and buy a house and raise children if there is no effective and consistent law enforcement.

believe half of what you see and none of what you read

there is no car theft ring operating here. cars are safe

lots of young families are moving in lately. there's very little crime here.

hikers have nothing to worry about here in town if they stay

4eyedbuzzard
07-08-2008, 11:08
The news report is very poorly written.

Are there underlying issues beside the one single incident of the alleged illegal entry by an officer and the political p*ss*** contest that seems to have followed?

Seems more like small town politics than much anything else.

Pedaling Fool
07-08-2008, 11:17
The news report is very poorly written...
I agree. I read the original story and the one Appalachian Tater provided. Can't tell a damn thing from either and they seem to be different stories.

Lone Wolf
07-08-2008, 11:18

Are there underlying issues beside the one single incident of the alleged illegal entry by an officer and the political p*ss*** contest that seems to have followed?

it IS small town politics. the current chief was nothing but a damn good police officer. the mayor simply did not like him along with 3 other council members. we get a new chief evert 2 years or so. the AT thru here is not affected by who is or is not acting chief of police

Wise Old Owl
07-08-2008, 11:22
LW with that in mind it is going to be very difficult to get a "New" Cheif, who wants to work for a place that you would only survive 6-24 months? The Mayor needs an 'Tude adjustment.

Lone Wolf
07-08-2008, 11:24
LW with that in mind it is going to be very difficult to get a "New" Cheif, who wants to work for a place that you would only survive 6-24 months? The Mayor needs an 'Tude adjustment.

the interim chief will be leaving too. he has a job offer with another department out of state. most who are fired or quit go on to work for bigger towns or the county sheriff's office.

Pedaling Fool
07-08-2008, 11:29
...and they seem to be different stories.
That's because they are two different stories you damn bonehead:datz

Alligator
07-08-2008, 11:33
That's because they are two different stories you damn bonehead:datzAny chance you guys could work this out without name calling? Maybe go to PM?

I'm supposed to lighten up.

Pedaling Fool
07-08-2008, 11:44
Any chance you guys could work this out without name calling? Maybe go to PM?

Yeah I know, but that John Gault gets under my skin. What a moron!

bloodmountainman
07-08-2008, 11:47
Any chance you guys could work this out without name calling? Maybe go to PM?

No foul here Gator. Mr. Gault is calling his self names!

Lyle
07-08-2008, 11:52
No foul here Gator. Mr. Gault is calling his self names!

I think Alligator knew that, note the laughing face at the very beginning of the post. I had the same reaction initially, till I noticed the laugh.

Survivor Dave
07-08-2008, 11:52
Can we please come back over the double line. As Skids says...No do overs.;)

envirodiver
07-08-2008, 12:13
A bit off topic but curious: Is the economy of Damascus tourist based? From hikers, VA Creeper, etc.?

If so it would seem that the law enforcement would be kinder to the people coming in to spend money. Of course not to allow criminal behavior, but not be unfriendly. Was this part of the problem with the ousted officers?

Alligator
07-08-2008, 12:17
A bit off topic but curious: Is the economy of Damascus tourist based? From hikers, VA Creeper, etc.?

If so it would seem that the law enforcement would be kinder to the people coming in to spend money. Of course not to allow criminal behavior, but not be unfriendly. Was this part of the problem with the ousted officers?I skimmed a paper on that Envirodiver. If I find it, I'll see if I can get the citation. It had some figures of the different types of tourism.

Sly
07-08-2008, 12:24

Seems that way as there's several outfitters for backpacking, bike rentals, restuarants, B&B's etc. Not much manufacturing that I know of.

Alligator
07-08-2008, 12:28
Bowker, J. M., Bergstrom, John C. and Joshua Gill. 2007. Estimating the economic value and impacts of recreational trails: a case study of the Virginia Creeper Rail Trail. Tourism Economics 13(2):241-260.

envirodiver
07-08-2008, 12:30
Seems that way as there's several outfitters for backpacking, bike rentals, restuarants, B&B's etc. Not much manufacturing that I know of.

Thanks Sly, just curious. It seems that most small "tourist" towns have pretty friendly police officers.

Sly
07-08-2008, 12:33
Thanks Sly, just curious. It seems that most small "tourist" towns have pretty friendly police officers.

In the dozen or so times I've been there I've never had a problem with the police. Most were friendly, especially the chief caught selling meth. :eek:

It's a nice town...

envirodiver
07-08-2008, 12:37
In the dozen or so times I've been there I've never had a problem with the police. Most were friendly, especially the chief caught selling meth. :eek:

It's a nice town...

From all I hear it sounds like a nice town. Just wondering out loud.

Lone Wolf
07-08-2008, 12:41

If so it would seem that the law enforcement would be kinder to the people coming in to spend money. Of course not to allow criminal behavior, but not be unfriendly. Was this part of the problem with the ousted officers?

yes, tourist based. 99% from creeper trail and b&b userd. AT hikers spend very little and the season is short.

the police are not unfriendly at all to tourists. the problem is the mayor and a few councilmen that dislike the current chief. small town politics

Wonder
07-08-2008, 12:41
In response to many comments
~I've never seen an officer here be ANYTHING but kind to the tourists.
~Chief Rouse was one of the most stand up officers I've ever meet in my life. I for one am VERY upset that he was fired, and will be looking farther into it.
~Car theft ring????? Never heard of it......
~I AM a woman who moved to this town and have ALWAYS felt safe with the protection provided by the local PD

Appalachian Tater
07-08-2008, 12:46
~Chief Rouse was one of the most stand up officers I've ever meet in my life. I for one am VERY upset that he was fired, and will be looking farther into it.
The previous police chief who was busted for dealing drugs was apparently a real stand-up, friendly guy as well. There's good and bad in every one and every place.

~Car theft ring????? Never heard of it......http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24790

It's no secret. You don't have good news reporting in your area but crime statistics are available.

Lone Wolf
07-08-2008, 12:51
damascus is a great town. there are no major problems here. some people just don't like the town and will find fault and read into everthing that is written about it. those folks can stay away. it's their choice

Odd Thomas
07-08-2008, 12:56
http://www.idcide.com/citydata/va/damascus.htm

2006 was a hot year. :)

Wonder
07-08-2008, 13:03
Whatever.......if you don't live here....you can look at all of the stats you want, and still have no clue. Personally, I STILL feel safer living here then anywhere I've lived in the past...... You don't like the town, don't move here, don't bash it and PLEASE, don't show up

Odd Thomas
07-08-2008, 13:07
Whatever.......if you don't live here....you can look at all of the stats you want, and still have no clue. Personally, I STILL feel safer living here then anywhere I've lived in the past...... You don't like the town, don't move here, don't bash it and PLEASE, don't show up

I was being sarcastic, a whole "8" cars didn't sound like a big ring. ;)

Sly
07-08-2008, 13:09
8% more females!

Appalachian Tater
07-08-2008, 13:13
Whatever.......if you don't live here....you can look at all of the stats you want, and still have no clue. Personally, I STILL feel safer living here then anywhere I've lived in the past...... You don't like the town, don't move here, don't bash it and PLEASE, don't show upPeoples' perception of of their safety and their actual safety can be very different. No one's "bashing" Damascus, and your "friendly" dis-invitation is noted. :rolleyes:

I have stated on WhiteBlaze before how much I enjoyed my visit to Damascus.

But that doesn't mean I would leave my pack at church hostel thinking it would be safe or that I would trust the policeman who sold meth or who harassed someone for filing a complaint because they invaded their apartment or that I would let children under my responsibility out of my sight.

jhick
07-08-2008, 13:31
Where do you live?

just curious...

envirodiver
07-08-2008, 13:44
yes, tourist based. 99% from creeper trail and b&b userd. AT hikers spend very little and the season is short.

the police are not unfriendly at all to tourists. the problem is the mayor and a few councilmen that dislike the current chief. small town politics

Seen small town politics before, so I understand that.

Don't anyone get me wrong, I wasn't trying to talk Damascus down. Actually sounds like a nice place. Just wondering.

D'Artagnan
07-08-2008, 14:19
I need to hurry up and get my ducks in a row so I can sell and move to Damascus. I've never felt more at peace than when I'm there. Maybe it's a "grass is always greener" thing, but I can definitely see myself enjoying the pace (and the company) there.

Wonder
07-08-2008, 14:19
Where do you live?

just curious...

He'll never tell.....;)

jersey joe
07-08-2008, 14:22
It would be interesting if everyone on WB moved down to Damascus but still "hung out" on Whiteblaze. Could make a town rule that you can't buy a house unless you have 1,000 posts on WB first. Could call the cops "moderators".

Wonder
07-08-2008, 14:45
Everyone on WB wouldn't fit in Damascus:eek: It sure would change things though.......

jersey joe
07-08-2008, 15:05
Everyone on WB wouldn't fit in Damascus:eek: It sure would change things though.......
That is why you have the 1,000 post minimum...(123 people on WB with >1k posts)...no worries Wonder, you make the cut!

Wilson
07-08-2008, 15:06
I need to hurry up and get my ducks in a row so I can sell and move to Damascus. I've never felt more at peace than when I'm there. Maybe it's a "grass is always greener" thing, but I can definitely see myself enjoying the pace (and the company) there.

Funny, I've been to Mocksville quiet a few times. Seems like nice place. I could live there. Guess the grass is always greener.

Wonder
07-08-2008, 15:11
That is why you have the 1,000 post minimum...(123 people on WB with >1k posts)...no worries Wonder, you make the cut!

WooHoo!!!!!! I can stay!!!! Wait......oh, yeah. I'm moving.:(

Odd Thomas
07-08-2008, 15:20
It would be interesting if everyone on WB moved down to Damascus but still "hung out" on Whiteblaze. Could make a town rule that you can't buy a house unless you have 1,000 posts on WB first. Could call the cops "moderators".

News: "Moderator busted for selling Meth on Whiteblaze.net"
:p

TOW
07-08-2008, 15:22
believe half of what you see and none of what you read

there is no car theft ring operating here. cars are safe

lots of young families are moving in lately. there's very little crime here.

hikers have nothing to worry about here in town if they stayi second that opinion.........

this is a great town, all of you who can afford it ought to move on in here and help make it a better place to live....

TOW
07-08-2008, 15:25

rumor has it that the reason they fired John was because they simply did not like him, but i'm sure that is just a rumor........

Odd Thomas
07-08-2008, 15:34
rumor has it that the reason they fired John was because they simply did not like him, but i'm sure that is just a rumor........

That's always part of it. If they liked him he'd get away with the same stuff our chief gets away with and keep his job. Our chief likes to bother people from the "segregated" part of town.

TOW
07-08-2008, 15:35
if you are not smiling here you are truly depressed and if you let it this town will help renew your spirit and thinking........

Just Plain Jim
07-08-2008, 15:37
I love Damascus:p. I've visitd there 3 times in the past 5 years, during Trail Days, and have always had a great time. I brought my wife this year so that she could get a taste of the hiking community:eek:. I also left my truck behind Mt. Rogers T P while I hiked for 7 days with no problems after I got back.

Bearpaw88
07-08-2008, 15:52
I stayed 2 weeks in Damascus when I walked in from the AT this year. With others I also volunteered to help set up tent city for trail days. While doing that I met most of the cops in town and they were all very nice polite and decent people. Of coarse there were small town politics, but that is every small town. Hikers have nothing to worry about in my opinion. "stuff" happens. Even if the town did have a car theft ring, and every cop was on meth Damascus would still be worth going to because of DOTS:D

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-08-2008, 15:55

Yahtzee
07-08-2008, 16:50
Was treated very well by the police in '01 when they were stalking a flying bear(hint hint) who yelled an obscenity at the owner of the pizza shop for turning off the final game of the Stanley Cup. After my eyes refocused from the huge flashlight shone in my eyes, they went about their business accordingly. Certainly could have busted me for public intoxication if they were so inclined. Can you imagine how many people they could pop for that, if they were so inclined? Considering the amount of petty crime hikers bring to the town (drugs, drunkenness, public urination, general mayhem and noisery), me thinks they do a nice job of leaving the hikers alone.

Lost My Mind
07-08-2008, 18:03
I felt very safe and confortable while in Damascus this spring. Great town, great people. Parked my car at TOW's house, (met him once), tossed him the keys and told him there was 1/2 tank of gas if he needed to use the car. Never thought twice about it.

Been trying to talk my husband into buying Hiker Inn and moving ever since I came back home.

By the way, 7 cars were stolen in my town while I typed this:eek:

Nest
07-08-2008, 18:19

And the owners shot.

TOW
07-08-2008, 18:23
I hear the police chief's house is for sale ;)

Seriously, this is just small town politicking. The balance of power got upset when the former police chief got removed by the feds. Things won't settle down for a couple of years at least.
i agree with that........

TOW
07-08-2008, 18:25
I felt very safe and confortable while in Damascus this spring. Great town, great people. Parked my car at TOW's house, (met him once), tossed him the keys and told him there was 1/2 tank of gas if he needed to use the car. Never thought twice about it.

Been trying to talk my husband into buying Hiker Inn and moving ever since I came back home.

Quit trying to talk him into it, just grab him by the ear and lead him home.......

rafe
07-08-2008, 18:58
Seriously, this is just small town politicking.

i agree with that........

Then what, pray tell, was the point of starting this thread? :-?

StarLyte
07-08-2008, 19:19
it IS small town politics. the current chief was nothing but a damn good police officer. the mayor simply did not like him along with 3 other council members. we get a new chief evert 2 years or so. the AT thru here is not affected by who is or is not acting chief of police

I suspect & agree - small town politics.

I'd move to Damascus in a heartbeat, and I'm trying. That would never stop me.

But then I'm used to serious crimes here in Cleveland Ohio - torturing, brutal crimes against women, children, animals, elderly. Doesn't matter who you are, and they don't care about your money. Folks are just mad as hell.

The video mentions Erwin TN as well !

Bare Bear
07-08-2008, 20:07
I think it is easily settled. Everyone just stay with Lone Wolf who will keep us safe. How about it? I'll let you know when I am coming thru in 09 GAME cubed.

TOW
07-08-2008, 22:01
Then what, pray tell, was the point of starting this thread? :-?
I just wanted to see if you were lurking here to ask such a question......

Ron Haven
07-08-2008, 23:12
Lone Wolf,Here's your chance :D

Lugnut
07-08-2008, 23:44
this is a great town, all of you who can afford it ought to move on in here and help make it a better place to live....

I'd move there tomorrow if I could. Has nothing to do with the trail. Just a place that says home. You who are lucky enough to be living there are fortunate. Are you moving Wonder?

SGT Rock
07-08-2008, 23:45
I'd live there too if it wasn't for already owning a mortgage.

Wonder
07-09-2008, 00:13
Yeah.....I am.:(
I'll be back often. Very often, I'm sure...... but with gas prices what they are, a long-distance relationship gets expensive :eek:

Lone Wolf
07-09-2008, 02:30
Lone Wolf,Here's your chance :D

nah, there's really nothing to say after all that's been said. this issue has nothing to do with the AT. i've lived here longer and have been coming to damascus longer than anyone on this forum. let the armchair know-it-alls have at it. i know the real damascus :)

Lone Wolf
07-09-2008, 08:37
nah, there's really nothing to say after all that's been said. this issue has nothing to do with the AT. i've lived here longer and have been coming to damascus longer than anyone on this forum. let the armchair know-it-alls have at it. i know the real damascus :)

http://www.topix.net/forum/city/damascus-va/TRDN3BCJV888SA6JT

Lone Wolf
07-09-2008, 09:17

and more... http://www.tricities.com/tri/news/local/article/despite_criticism_damascus_mayor_defends_police_ch ief_firing/11443/

Lugnut
07-09-2008, 09:29
Yeah.....I am.:(
I'll be back often. Very often, I'm sure...... but with gas prices what they are, a long-distance relationship gets expensive :eek:

Damascus is out of eligible batchelors? :eek:

Lone Wolf
07-09-2008, 09:31
what'a a batchelor? :-? a place they make batches of cookies?

Wonder
07-09-2008, 09:33
NOpe, plenty of single men.......there were just none eligible;)

Wonder
07-09-2008, 09:34

***Ba dum dum ching***

Darwin again
07-09-2008, 10:38
and more... http://www.tricities.com/tri/news/local/article/despite_criticism_damascus_mayor_defends_police_ch ief_firing/11443/

It ends: "The police chief vote could be a troubling sign of things to come."

Are you actually reading these links, wolf? :rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
07-09-2008, 10:39
yeah darwin :rolleyes: and you quoted the wrong article. the one you quoted is an editorial. just some writer's opinion

Darwin again
07-09-2008, 10:43

And in this link, there's this:
“These are the officers that busted all the meth labs in this town,” Farmer said of the police department under Rouse’s leadership, “but they don’t want that.”
When Rouse was fired Monday, one of the officers, Ricky Stumbo, quit in protest.
“You can have my badge and my equipment tonight,” Stumbo said. “I’m not working for a department I can’t trust. It’s that simple.”
After Stumbo left, the council voted to accept his resignation. He was outside, already cleaning personal items out of his police car.
“If I go back to flipping burgers for minimum wage, it’s better than being treated like a dog for minimum wage,” said Stumbo, who said he’d taken a $13,000-a-year pay cut to work for the department because he always wanted to be a police officer.
“So much for the American dream in this town, or any other town in Washington County,” Stumbo said.

That's mighty upbeat stuff, LW. The chief who busted the meth labs gets ousted on political grounds ... shah-weeeeeeeeeet!

Don't seek a career in public relations, wolf!:sun

Alligator
07-09-2008, 10:57
Something someone pointed out to me that I find very interesting is that the discussion is elevated quite a bit when diminutive names are not employed. One is able to focus on the person's arguments and not be distracted with the name-calling. Fascinating.

(I'm not implying gator is a problem here at all btw.)

Lone Wolf
07-09-2008, 11:16
the person who started the diminutive naming really has no interest in the town of damascus, it's police chiefs, former/future or politicians. just an observation. i'm not very well liked :)

Wonder
07-09-2008, 11:26
i like you...........

bloodmountainman
07-09-2008, 11:30
the person who started the diminutive naming really has no interest in the town of damascus, it's police chiefs, former/future or politicians. just an observation. i'm not very well liked :)
A guy who likes Pink Floyd and The Drive by Truckers can't be all that bad ..... no matter what's going on in his town!;)

jhick
07-09-2008, 11:35
It seems a thread about crime in a trail town has turned into 'hey, let's try to get under someone's skin'.

Lone Wolf
07-09-2008, 11:37
It seems a thread about crime in a trail town has turned into 'hey, let's try to get under someone's skin'.

as always. mr. moderator, please lock it up. :)

Alligator
07-09-2008, 11:40
the person who started the diminutive naming really has no interest in the town of damascus, it's police chiefs, former/future or politicians. just an observation. i'm not very well liked :)Speculation. Let's move on from the personal here though and return to discussion of the chief. Donations of cheer to LW can be sent via WB through PM, VM, or by putting him on your friends list:sun.

Wonder
07-09-2008, 11:55
OK....I hate that the Chief was fired. I HAVE seen him on foot beat, and feel that he was in touch with the town. 2 big thumbs down on the decision. Also, as for the wanting to lay off officers.....he explained his reasons at a town open forum months ago......having less then 6 cops for 24 hour duty would be a scheduling nightmare and impossable to achieve without going into some serious overtime

Alligator
07-09-2008, 11:58
Does the police force use any bicycles there? Seems like it would be a natural.

Odd Thomas
07-09-2008, 12:00
OK....I hate that the Cheif was fired. I HAVE seen him on foot beat, and feel that he was in touch with the town. 2 big thumbs down on the decision.

The officer who resigned sounds like a good egg too. Took a huge pay cut to help the town.

Just Plain Jim
07-09-2008, 12:05
I saw a couple of police on bikes during Trail Days.

Wonder
07-09-2008, 12:08
Yes both the Damascus PD and the Washington County Sheriff have bike patrols

Lone Wolf
07-09-2008, 12:18

yes. they do

Lugnut
07-09-2008, 13:35

I never take spelling seriously before 10 AM. :o

TOW
07-09-2008, 17:20
Well, all I can say is I now have no respect for that decision..........

TOW
07-09-2008, 17:26
John Rouse was on a bicycle continously.........

WalkingStick75
07-09-2008, 17:53
I'm confused... the article starts out saying they fired the chief and two quit in support of the chief. The rest of the article is about the childish behavior of the council between a college student and a council member.

From the thread I read that an officer entered a residence without a warrant, is that what this is all about? If so then (at least here in Michigan) that is a question for the courts not council. I also read that the chief would not release the police reports, the only way he can stop the release of the report is if their is a open investigation but it will become public record when it goes to court.

Disclaimer :) I am not a lawyer nor do I play lawyer in my spare time, the opinions stated her are just my opinions :)

TOW
07-10-2008, 06:19
Only one officer quit WalkingStick.........