PDA

View Full Version : How fair do you live from the trail

azchipka
02-25-2004, 09:54
I am curious to see where the people hiking the trail are coming from in general. If your from the west coast or middle of the country what made you decide to go with the AT instead of PCT or CDT?

Lone Wolf
02-25-2004, 09:57
I live 60 yards from the AT.

Hammock Hanger
02-25-2004, 09:58
I'm from FL and have always loved the AT. This year, however, it is the CT.:sun Hammock Hanger

Brushy Sage
02-25-2004, 11:06
I'm thirty minutes to an hour from the AT, depending on where I access the trail. It is my trail of choice. Alternates are NC Mountains to Sea trail, and various trails in Pisgah Natl. Forest, many of them along the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Patco
02-25-2004, 11:16
It NOW takes me 5 hours to get from eastern NC to Mount Rogers, VA area to access the AT. That's my closest point and it's worth every minute of the drive and every gallon of fossil fuel burned. ($1.61 here) Back THEN, when I was in elementary school, and put my feet on the AT for the first time, I lived in the NC mountains and it took us about 30 minutes to get to the various trail heads.

Kerosene
02-25-2004, 11:45
I grew up in New England and Jersey, doing the NJ section in 1973 at the age of 16. I still have a vivid recall of each of my hikes over the years and have set a life goal to hike the entire AT before moving on to other trails in my dotage.

I'm now about 10 hours from the closest section of the AT (in Maryland), but since I've hiked everything from central Virginia to New Hampshire, the logistics keep getting harder. Even though I'm a geography major, I'm always surprised by how long it will take to drive to Monson (1,000 miles and 16 hours!).

Jaybird
02-25-2004, 11:48
I am curious to see where the people hiking the trail are coming from in general........................................... .........

azchipka/Digital Ranger:

269.32 miles from my house (Springfield,TN) to the closest point to me: Clingmans Dome, TN(which, ironically, is where i start my section hike this year)

OR

4 hours & 58 minutes away from the A.T.

seeya'll UP the trail

Lilred
02-25-2004, 18:14
azchipka/Digital Ranger:

269.32 miles from my house (Springfield,TN) to the closest point to me: Clingmans Dome, TN(which, ironically, is where i start my section hike this year)

OR

4 hours & 58 minutes away from the A.T.

seeya'll UP the trail

and I'm 20 minutes closer......... :p

Needles
02-25-2004, 18:37
I have to cross the PCT and CDT to get to the AT. If I was hiking on the southern end of the trail I would cross the ADT as well.

Seattle is much too far away from the AT.

FatMan
02-25-2004, 18:52
One and a half hours.

MOWGLI
02-25-2004, 18:58
It took me 2 hours 45 minutes to reach Blood Mountain from Chattanooga this past Saturday. I'm about the same distance from Great Smoky Mountain NP, and from the AT in Franklin, NC.

stranger
02-25-2004, 21:19
I grew up about a mile from Harriman State Park in NY, lived there for 25 years...I was about 10 miles from the Bear Mtn Inn. Moved to various parts of NJ where I was about 30 minutes from the Route 17 crossing right before you go into HSP. Now I live in Wellington NZ, which is approx 22 hours via plane from NYC. I miss having the trail at my doorstep.

jigsaw
02-25-2004, 21:35
i grew up in tyringham mass and the trail went right by my house. and for three years right thru my house as my folks ran a little general store in of our house in the late seventies.right now im in lee four miles from upper goose pond its gonna be in the forties here this weekend and i think i'll go to my favorite climb race mountain.

Bankrobber
02-25-2004, 22:12
The AT at Rockfish Gap is 27 miles from where I live in Charlottesville.

bobgessner57
02-26-2004, 00:34
I now live 4-6 hours away from various sections of the trail in NC and Virginia.
I used to run the Jesuit hostel in Hot Springs in the late 70's-the trail was 20 feet from my bedroom. Then I moved to Mars Hill, NC and could look out to Big Bald from the top of the ridge above the house, now that convenience is no more. Whenever we go home to my wife's family in Mars Hill I slip off for at least a day hike or an overnighter. There are some great side trails connecting to the At around Standin Indian, in the Shelton Laurel backcountry area of the Pisgah NF and in other places to make good quick loop trips. I have also made loops using the Glenwood horse trail and the AT in Virginia around Apple Orchard Mtn. There are some wonderful places to explore without having to resort to shuttles, etc. The side trails allow for some solitude during peak AT use, but it is also nice to check in on thru hiker humor. When I am home all I need to do is close my eyes to be back in the magic.

Skyline
02-26-2004, 01:47
My first home is almost within yodelling distance of Thornton Gap, Shenandoah National Park. My second home is Pass Mt. Hut, 0.2 mi. from the A.T., in SNP. The rent is cheaper at my second home.

attroll
02-26-2004, 02:23
I am only about 75 miles and about 1 1/2 hours miles from either Andover or Rangeley Maine.

Jaybird
02-26-2004, 06:26
i grew up in tyringham mass and the trail went right by my house. and for three years right thru my house as my folks ran a little general store in of our house in the late seventies.right now im in lee four miles from upper goose pond its gonna be in the forties here this weekend and i think i'll go to my favorite climb race mountain.

see you in April Jigsaw! :p

]

Matt Pincham
02-26-2004, 06:58
I live a mere 3000 or so miles from the AT. :)

Fallen in love with it I'm afraid and there's nothing in the UK that can compare to it.

Also, I want to meet all you lovely Yanks as I've never been to the States.

See you in 26 days...my girlfriend and I can hardly wait.

snowshoe
02-27-2004, 13:47
I live less than a mile from the AT were it crosses Deckertown rd in High Point SP NJ. This too me is the ideal location because I live within 1.5 hours drive of well over a thousand miles of trails not inluding the AT. I can hike the Catskills, the Gunks, The Kittatinnies, as well as the NY-NJ High Lands and the Poconos of PA. On a winter day I can choose to hike in no snow or if I want to snowshoe I can easily do that as well and still be home well before dinner. I have calm rivers to Kayake as well as white water and lakes. Plus there are plenty of jobs within a 45 minute radius.

mdjeeper
02-27-2004, 13:49
from where I am in MA it takes me between 3 and 7 hours to get to the trail depending on where I want to get on at

Doctari
02-27-2004, 19:50
The closest the trail comes to me is about 200+ miles, I have almost hiked to that point :-)

Cincinnati is too damn far from the trail.

SIGH.

Doctari.

Chip
02-28-2004, 17:13
I am 30 to 45 minutes from the AT. Just depends where I start the trail. I am a member of Carolina Mtn. Club and help maintain 3.5 miles of the 92 mile section of the AT that the club is responsible for. I really enjoy working on &
hiking on the trail. My wife and I are section hikers.

Mini-Mosey
03-11-2004, 07:57
Presently, I live quite close to a number of AT trailheads in Maryland, West Virginia, and Northern Virginia. I will be moving at the end of the month to Carroll County, Maryland, but I'll still be pretty close to Maryland and West Virginia trailheads(approximately an hour).

Texas Dreamer
03-11-2004, 10:03
The problem around here are the hours involved just getting across Texas!
As to the interest in the AT over the others, I suppose the fame brought it to my awareness at a younger age--more time to form daydreams.

zammy
03-11-2004, 11:05
I'm in Israel, let me see now: 2 hours to get to the airport, 3 hours security check,12 hours flight to NY, 2 hours delay, 2(?) hours to Atlanta, 2 (?) hours to the approach trail=23 hours at least , I don't know know exactly how many thousands of miles.

BlackCloud
11-24-2004, 15:10
40 minutes from Harper's Ferry, one of the coolest towns around..........But I have several hours of driving to get to a stretch of AT I've not done yet...

MisterSweetie
11-24-2004, 20:43
I live probably 7 hours from the nearest point on the AT, but I'm interviewing for a job on Monday that would put me much MUCH closer. :)

fishinfred
11-24-2004, 22:56
I'm definetly too far away here in Mi. but hope to be based in Damascus next fall,I love it around there but its going to be hard to beat you L.Wolf ,60 yrds? Must be nice :)
Fishinfred

11-25-2004, 02:13
Lone Wolf has me beat but every morning I can wake up and see it from the back porch.

Flash Hand
11-25-2004, 06:32
2,000 miles from Arizona to Georgia. I made Southwest Airline hundred bucks richer.

Flash Hand :jump

Sarge
11-25-2004, 08:01
I live 300 miles away and a 6 hour drive and I LIVE in Georgia!!! I'm about the same distance from Florida as Springer is from North Carolina. It's almost depressing to be in the same state as the trail starts in and still be so far away.

Magic City
11-25-2004, 12:27
I'm in Millinocket, Maine; about 20 minutes from Baxter State Park.

Askus3
11-25-2004, 22:22
My location states exactly how far. The nearest road crossing/trailhead is the AT crossing of NY 17A between Warwick & Greenwood Lake.

SGT Rock
11-28-2004, 14:38
I was a few states away, now I live about 3 miles straight line distance from Smoky Mountain National Park. I can be at Newfound Gap in about 1-1.5 hours depending on tourist traffic.

smokymtnsteve
11-28-2004, 14:55
as soon as I get moved to healy ak I'll be over 4,400 road miles away from springer.

Toolshed
11-28-2004, 16:07
I used to live 16 miles as the crow flies and 18 miles by car from Wind Gap. The great thing was from the hill we lived on I could see the Entire Blue Mountain from the Lehigh Gap to the DWG and wonder who was hiking along it every day. It also made it easy to stop along the trail after work with my little on and bring in some cold sodas to Leroy Smith and the Kirkridge shelters.

Now we live 70 miles away from it in the Berkshires and 100 miles from it where it crosses Mount Mondadnock. On the bright side, I a only a few minutes from the Midstate Trail and Mt Wachusett!!!!

c.coyle
11-28-2004, 16:30
A 20 minute drive to 501 Shelter or Swatara Gap. Never far from the rocks.

Nameless
12-05-2004, 17:45
I have to cross the PCT and CDT to get to the AT. If I was hiking on the southern end of the trail I would cross the ADT as well.

Seattle is much too far away from the AT.Try living in Alaska... Thats pretty far...

But then we have a million and two other GREAT trails, and all the ones you make yourself (some areas like Denali National Park you are not allowed to make or use defined trails, you must find your own, and it is wonderful)

Pink

saimyoji
12-05-2004, 22:16
Good GOD! How can the govt expect you to make your OWN trails in life?

Ramble~On
12-06-2004, 02:18
Standing Indian, NOC, Wayah Bald, Clingman's Dome are all a short drive.

I guess NOC is about twenty minutes in the car. :sun

ffstenger
12-06-2004, 06:22
I drive 800+ miles to reach the AT in Virginia. Not quite that far to Georgia or
NC It took over 17 hours to get to SNP. When I start hiking farther north
I'm gonna have to take 2 days to drive......or fly. But it's never too far to the
AT:clap Showme

zephyr1034
12-07-2004, 01:02
[QUOTE=Bankrobber]The AT at Rockfish Gap is 27 miles from where I live in Charlottesville.[/QUOTE
================================================== ========

I'm glad there's at least one other person in the world who still expresses distances in terms of miles instead of time.

To say that a given trip is "two hours" is totally meaningless. It all depends on:

1. Who's driving
2 What you're driving
3 Traffic
4. Weather
5. Day or night? Rush hour? Holiday weekend?

And if you try to average it out, you come up with a number that's totally meaningless.

On the other hand, 27 miles is a fixed number that won't change.

BTW, I live about two miles from the AT in Pearisburg VA. It's on the opposite side of town for me. It generally takes me about ten minutes, because speeding around here is a BAD idea.

Askus3
12-07-2004, 08:28
Zephyr: You did not say what means you are using to get to the AT. I hope you aren't driving a car as two miles in ten minutes is not speeding it is creeping (12 MPH). If that is what it normally takes you to go by car, I am glad I don't live anywhere's near Pearisburg as even if the scenery is great, the traffic sounds like a quagmire. So either your falsifying the distance from the AT, the time it takes to get there or both or your time is based on some slower means of transportation (ie. bicycle). Maybe your two miles is by way of the flight of crow not the route of public roads. What this goes to show you is that even mileage can be interpreted different ways. So time might be more meaningful.

Look at my location above. I am actually two miles from the AT by crow, but by auto using public roads, I am four miles. I averaged it to get my three miles. But it doesn't matter as I am close enough to go to the AT at any convenient time.

neo
12-07-2004, 10:28
from my house to any were on AT in between springer mountain to damascus va
4 to 5 hour drive:bse :jump :banana :clap

Colter
12-07-2004, 12:04
Calculate distances between two towns here: (http://www.indo.com/distance/)

Fairbanks to Hanover

zephyr1034
12-07-2004, 20:25
[QUOTE=Askus3]Zephyr: You did not say what means you are using to get to the AT. I hope you aren't driving a car as two miles in ten minutes is not speeding it is creeping (12 MPH). If that is what it normally takes you to go by car, I am glad I don't live anywhere's near Pearisburg as even if the scenery is great, the traffic sounds like a quagmire.
================================================== ===============

It's actually 3.6 miles, not 2. I went over there today and took my customary walk on the AT, from the Route 100 crossing (near the Rendezvous) to the Route 460 bridge. I always take the blue loop through the Pearis Cemetery one way or the other.

I drive through "downtown" (such as it is) Pearisburg to get there. The speed limit is 25 in town, 35 on the outskirts.

No quagmire here. I live an almost totally traffic-free life. There are four traffic lights here in Giles County: three in Pearisburg and one in Narrows. Three of the adjoining counties have NO lights: Craig, Bland and Monroe.

I often give hikers rides up to the hostel or wherever they need to go in town.

Tom

Ridge
12-07-2004, 23:31
I live a short distance from the trail, but miles and miles away from the areas of the AT I wish to rehike.

leeki pole
02-25-2005, 18:50
Six hours to Atlanta and however much longer it takes to get to Amicalola depending on traffic. Much too far. Hey Rock, I'm hoping my daughter will go to UT or Maryville College so I can move up there too. Great area!

stomparound85
04-01-2005, 00:03
I grew up in Wytheville Va where I can access the trail in Bland at 20 minutes away, Atkins about 15 minutes away, MT. Rogers about and hour away, Damascus 1 hour as well, Roanoke, pearisburg, blacksburg. Damn Wytheville is central for getting on the trail. but guess what now I go to school in the flatland of Hickory North Carolina where it takes me about 2 hours to get to a trail head at say either 19E near Hump mountain or hot springs near asheville.:jump

superman
04-01-2005, 09:20
I live about 10 miles from where the AT passes by the Dartmout ski area via dirt road. The Darmouth ski area is between Hanover and Glencliff, NH. Hiking north you come out on a dirt road and look to your right you'll see the dark green buildings of the ski area (no re-supply). Continue passed the ski area until to come to rte 4. Turn left until you see the brown house in the pictures. I'll either be puttering and tinkering or off hiking some place.:sun
http://groups.msn.com/OldGUYthenandnow

weary
04-01-2005, 10:54
I live a "fair" piece away.

My town's history is entitled, "Phippsburg, Fair to the Wind." Fair has many meanings. But I'm not sure any of them fit the title of this thread.

smokedog
04-01-2005, 14:13
I live in north Florida and have been section hiking the trail for the past 6 years. I have a summer home in Highlands NC approx 25 miles from where the trail crosses US 64 west of Franklin NC (Winding Stair Gap?). For several years my brother in Hendersonville, NC helped shuttle me but now it's too difficult for him to do much. This year I will take a 17 hour bus ride from my home in Florida to Wytheville, VA where a shuttle will pick me up and take me to Pearisburg. I'll hike to Harpers Ferry, WV then take Amtrak home. A lot of trouble and expense, but well worth the effort.

napster
04-18-2005, 17:53
From my home about 1.5 hours to Max patch or Hotsprings.

Crash
10-28-2005, 22:51
Its very close to my heart

:sun

but
its 22 miles to the closest trail crossing.
Man I wish it was closer!!

Private Pyle
10-30-2005, 21:02
16 miles to Port Clinton. Currently Day/Section hiking. Pa #4 & #5 down. Working on #6. Will hopefully get to see more of the trail next year when I start to do overnighters.

TooTall
10-30-2005, 21:48
Had to move from Hoston, TX to Concord, NH to get close to the trail.

One Leg
10-30-2005, 22:32
On the other hand, 27 miles is a fixed number that won't change.

Depends on whether you're talking about road miles or trail miles.......

Trail miles seem so much longer........

My wife'll give me directions, and tell me how far it is in miles. I'll always ask her "Are you talking about road miles or trail miles?"

P.S. I live about an hour from the trail, and I drive like a maniac to get there.

Ridge
11-04-2005, 20:02
Why its not Fair at all!

MedicineMan
11-04-2005, 22:51
in that i live close (2.5 miles from Hughes Gap) but to get to new sections of trail I've got a long drive (takes about 6.5 hours to get to where I'm adding sections now) to Harpers Ferry.

Nean
11-05-2005, 03:41
I see Lone Wolf out there year after year, find himself a great woman on the trail, find a place closer than most shelters from the trail and think:-? , man, thats great, I'm going to try that too. thanks LW

My dream is to have a home on the pct, cdt, and at; live at each for 2 months for nobo season & 2 months each for the sobos. Had to start somewhere.

weary
11-05-2005, 11:31
I am curious to see where the people hiking the trail are coming from in general. If your from the west coast or middle of the country what made you decide to go with the AT instead of PCT or CDT?
I live 100 miles from the trail and I don't think that is "fair" at all.

Cookerhiker
11-05-2005, 11:53
depending on the time of day and whether I have to navigate the Washington DC rush hour. It's 55 miles from home to where the Trail leaves the Potomac River and ascends to Weverton Cliffs for the Maryland stretch. If I leave 6AM on a Sunday, 45-50 minutes. If I leave home 5PM on a Friday, 2 hours!

I'm less than 100 miles from the halfway point at Pine Grove Furnace State Park, PA.

tville_hiker
11-09-2005, 02:35
i'm 10 hours from springer mountain according to mapquest

HarleyHogPit
11-09-2005, 10:52
I live 4 miles from the trail if that.

Jack Tarlin
11-09-2005, 19:50
Living .3 from the A.T. means you spend lots of time on the Trail without even being aware of it.....I recently came to the horrifying realization that I have something like 3,000 Trail miles JUST IN HANOVER. I suspect that Wolf has amassed an equal or greater ammount of miles just bopping around Damascus.

I think we both need to get away more.

saimyoji
11-10-2005, 00:58
Recently moved, I'm now 5 min. from the trail at the closest point, ~40min to my favorite stomping ground: DWG. :D

stargate
11-10-2005, 02:02
449 miles from starting point in Georgia. Always wanted to hike the AT. Will do the PCT after.

jad
12-23-2005, 23:48
I was introduced to the AT and backpacking by a co-worker in 1982. Although I live in Cincinnati I was born in NE Tenn.(claibourne cty). The AT is my favorite trail and I have introduced several people to the trail. it is always a 6 or 7 hour drive to the trail but is worth every minute of travel. I stopped smoking the night before my first hike and this year I plan trying a thru hike.

Krewzer
12-24-2005, 09:59
...just bought a place 10 minutes from Stecoah Gap, maybe 5 minutes from Fontana Dam, about 30 minutes from the Nantahala, 30 minutes or so from Joyce Kilmer/Slick Rock, the Bartram or McKaye trails. Oh yea, I'm excited. I can hardly wait to start building.

Merry Christmas Y'all.....

PS. Anybody need a house in Alabama?

PartnerShip
12-24-2005, 16:00
Very close, Asheville NC.

Tinker
12-24-2005, 17:50
It's a little over 2 hrs. from my house to the nearest (quickest to get to) trailhead (a little ways off of the Mass. Turnpike).

Smooth
12-25-2005, 00:14
I live within a few minuts walking distance from the Tuscarorra Trail. One short day hike to the C&O canal with another short day hike to Harpers Ferry. Send me a note when you get to Harpers Ferry and I will come out and pick you up!

Trailjockey
01-01-2006, 21:43
:jump I`m about 110 miles away from the CT & NY sections of the trail. It`s some of the most beautiful backroad traveling I`ve seen along along the AT. Virginia also has some nice backcountry roads. Sort of puts you in the right frame of mind before you get on the trail.

Blissful
01-02-2006, 00:07
We're about 12 miles from the AT crossing at Swift Run Gap in SNP.

Wonder
01-02-2006, 00:50
1 hour 15 mins. to hawk mt road crossing

lbbrown
01-02-2006, 18:35
1 hour 15 mins. to hawk mt road crossing
1.5 hours from Wilmington to Port Clinton or 1 hour 45 minutes to crossing near Eckville shelter. Camped at Windsor Furnace Shelter the night of 12/25/05.

Wolfpaw
01-03-2006, 00:33
I live in detroit im gonna have to take a train to chicago then washington then i guess my hike actually starts there unless i find a ride.

Blister
01-11-2006, 15:38
.3 from my front door to the AT. I live closer than some of the damn shelters off the trail.

waterboy99
01-11-2006, 18:55
I live about 50 feet from the AT, just across the street from the Methodist Church in Damascus.

RestStep
01-11-2006, 20:17
I presently live in the Seattle, Wa. area, but just bought a home in N.E. Tennessee this past November. So at present, I live about 2700 miles, but that will be reduced to only about 17 miles from Damascus when I'm in Tenn. :) , which will be often.

FatMan
07-24-2006, 22:00
I closed today on my dream property today near Suches, Ga. 3+ acres with the USFS as my neighbor. Property line includes Grassy Gap Branch and I share a small pond with the USFS. Address is Cooper Gap Road AKA FS 42. Once my house is built (about a year) I will step out the door and walk an old trail about 300 yards and I will be on the AT between Ramrock Mtn and Gooch Gap. Hey Ridge...Beware of Dog!:p

Jaybird
07-25-2006, 05:03
I closed today on my dream property today near Suches, Ga. 3+ acres ..................etc.,etc.,etc.,................. ........................... walk an old trail about 300 yards and I will be on the AT between Ramrock Mtn and Gooch Gap. Hey Ridge...Beware of Dog!:p

DAMN! Now thats close....you'll have HIKER TRASH all in your front yard!
hehehehehehehehe:D

woodsy
07-25-2006, 07:18
30 miles as the crow flies, 1 hr up the winding road to many of Maine's remote 4'000 footers.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-25-2006, 08:08
We're about 50 - 60 miles from NC Hwy 28 crossing at Fontana Dam and about 70 miles from US 441 crossing at Newfound Gap (GSMNP)

I'm 27 miles from the Townsend 'Wye" entrance to the GSMNP. We're about 35 miles from Cades Cove (GSMNP) which has various trails in the 5-8 mile range that access the AT at the Gregory Ridge, Spence Field and Russell Field area. We're about 28 miles from Tremont (GSMNP) with trails in 8 -9 mile range to access the AT. There are various trails along Little River Road in the GSMNP that are from 6 to 12 miles from the AT.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-25-2006, 08:11
I closed today on my dream property today near Suches, Ga. 3+ acres with the USFS as my neighbor. Property line includes Grassy Gap Branch and I share a small pond with the USFS. Address is Cooper Gap Road AKA FS 42. Once my house is built (about a year) I will step out the door and walk an old trail about 300 yards and I will be on the AT between Ramrock Mtn and Gooch Gap. Hey Ridge...Beware of Dog!:pBeware of hiker with recipe for dog:p. Seriously, congrats on getting your dream property.

TOW
07-25-2006, 08:17
well i rent a little cabin smack dab beside the trail.................

Time To Fly 97
07-25-2006, 12:30
I live on Upper Greenwood Lake. 1.2 mi from Long House Road AT crossing (last road crossing in New Jersey Northbound). From Long House Road... Northbound is the section going from NJ into NY and Southbound goes into Wawayanda State Forest.

TTF

Gecko
07-25-2006, 12:45
I live in Pittsburgh, so I am about a hundred miles from the AT, give or take a few. It's relatively easy to get there though.

gonzo
07-25-2006, 13:50
Live in Richmond, Virginia and it's about 1h 15m to Rockfish Gap (South Entrance to Shenandoah National Park). About 4.5 hours from Damascus and about 2 hours from Harpers Ferry.

blackbishop351
07-25-2006, 13:59
I grew up about two hours away from the AT, depending on where I wanted to catch it. I was also about an hour away from Pisgah National Forest, the BRP, and about three hours away from GSMNP. I've moved east since, but I can catch the AT where it goes through Grayson Highlands State Park, VA - only about an hour and a half from here. So I got closer to the AT, but farther away from everything else :P Go figure.

Phreak
07-25-2006, 14:12
I'm roughly 90 minutes from Springer Mountain.

jaywalke
07-25-2006, 15:14
I'm a 20-mile drive from Pearisburg. It's probably only 10 as the crow flies.

wilconow
07-25-2006, 15:18
I'm about 25 minutes from Snickers Gap

ASUGrad
07-28-2006, 09:04
About 25 minutes. As the crow flies, not far at all.

Terraducky
07-28-2006, 12:11
I can be on the AT in an hour. My introduction to the trail was during the draught 2002. A friend of mine was taking jugs of water up to Bake Oven Knob for thru hikers. I am now hooked and have started backpacking on weekends this summer!

Creepy Uncle
07-28-2006, 16:01
closest point is hot springs... 45 min away.

nicodemus
08-16-2006, 17:45
too damn far

reikiman5
08-16-2006, 19:58
I live across the Housatonic from the reservation and the AT.

fiddlehead
08-16-2006, 23:49
Well, i moved from living about 3 miles from the trail (near port clinton) to about as far away as you can possibly get. (dig the deepest hole possible and you would be near Phuket Thailand)
I guess i won't be thru-hiking in the near future although i do go back every fall and jog up on the AT. Love that cold, tasty spring water up there.

bfitz
08-17-2006, 02:23
20 - 30 minutes...and I had no idea it existed until 2003. Wish I'd noticed earlier.