PDA

View Full Version : Planning a 5-7 day hike

wGrantham
07-08-2008, 21:38
One of my friends and I are planning on going on a 5 to 7 day hike on the AT around the first week of august. I am a fairly experienced backpacker, while my friend has done little to none. I have been trying to find a good start and ending point, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. We live in Winston-Salem NC, so any of the trail in NC, TN or the southern part of VA is where we are looking to go.

MOWGLI
07-08-2008, 21:48
Gosh, there are so many places. You could traverse the Smokies in 7 days, or walk between Hot Springs, NC and Erwin, TN, or walk southbound through the Grayson Highlands area and end at Damascus, VA. How many miles are you hoping to hike a day?

wGrantham
07-08-2008, 21:55
I havnt put too much thought into that part. Id say probably 8 to 10, but a little longer either way wouldn't be a bad thing.

bigcranky
07-09-2008, 08:20
Drive to Damascus, Va, and get a shuttle to the Mt Rogers Headquarters building on Rt 16 near Marion. Walk the 65 miles back to your car. The hike starts with a fairly easy section, then goes over some of the most spectacular scenery in Virginia. Great hike.

MOWGLI
07-09-2008, 08:25
Drive to Damascus, Va, and get a shuttle to the Mt Rogers Headquarters building on Rt 16 near Marion. Walk the 65 miles back to your car. The hike starts with a fairly easy section, then goes over some of the most spectacular scenery in Virginia. Great hike.

I agree with Big Cranky. Send Lone Wolf a Private Message if you need a shuttle. He lives in Damascus and will hook you up.

Lone Wolf
07-09-2008, 08:25

yup. PM me for a shuttle. the blueberries in the highlands will be ripe early august. TONS of them! bring pancake batter.

wGrantham
07-09-2008, 16:22
thanks so much. Mt. Rogers sounds great, I will send a PM when I get all the details figured out. thanks again.

bigcranky
07-09-2008, 19:59
yup. PM me for a shuttle. the blueberries in the highlands will be ripe early august. TONS of them! bring pancake batter.

Yup. We head up every year for an overnight hike just to pick blueberries. If we're careful, they last in the freezer all winter.

Lone Wolf
07-09-2008, 20:05
we're driving up to scales in a couple of weeks, park, pick berries and eat pancakes, waffles, bacon, beer, taters and sausage for 3 days. all 3 meals per day

Storyteller56
07-09-2008, 20:06
Don't forget to bring a stick of real butter, you will be eating gourmet!!!!

Lone Wolf
07-09-2008, 20:09
Don't forget to bring a stick of real butter, you will be eating gourmet!!!!

oh yeah, and vermont maple syrup

MOWGLI
07-09-2008, 20:31

I sometimes hike with the little glass bottles of Cracker Barrel syrup. It's the only time you'll ever find me toting glass in my pack.

bigcranky
07-10-2008, 15:50
I buy maple syrup by the half-gallon. Those little Cracker Barrel jars are cute, but way too small.

Lone Wolf
07-10-2008, 15:52
i was in vermont 2 weeks ago and forgot to get me some syrup. oh well. mrs. butterworths will do

Speer Carrier
07-10-2008, 16:08

I agree with Bigcranky. Six of us are making that very hike the last week of August. We are doing that section for exactly the reasons mentioned.

Wise Old Owl
07-10-2008, 23:38
i was in vermont 2 weeks ago and forgot to get me some syrup. oh well. mrs. butterworths will do

Why would you say that when you can enjoy the REAL thing.

Cookerhiker
07-11-2008, 16:56
As long as it's pure 100% maple syrup, it doesn't have to be from Vermont.

Plodderman
07-14-2008, 11:30
Hiked southbound from Atkins VA, to Damascus a few weeks ago. Enjoyed Grayson Highlands and the wild ponies. We drove to Damascus (stayed at Dave's Hostel) and caught a ride to Atkins on 81. Very pleasant and we avergaed around 15 miles a day, went in on Monday and hiked out on Friday.

Last year we did the Smokies over five days starting at Fontana Dam and went to Davenport Gap. We had a nice hike but might be difficult for a first timer.

Blissful
07-14-2008, 11:44
As long as it's pure 100% maple syrup, it doesn't have to be from Vermont.

Sorry I beg to differ. :D I had the real Vermont stuff while I was at my parents last week vs the stuff I get from Canada in the supermarket. NO COMPARISON! Vermont is much tastier.