PDA

View Full Version : Bugs in Georgia

Toolumpy
07-08-2008, 21:49
What might the bugs be like from Springer Mtn to Hot Springs if I start on the 3rd week of April?

MOWGLI
07-08-2008, 21:52
What might the bugs be like from Springer Mtn to Hot Springs if I start on the 3rd week of April?

Pretty much non-existent, although you could get gnats if the weather warms.

Boudin
07-08-2008, 22:20
We call them "dog peter gnats". They don't bother smokers. They are at their worst in the afternoons. If you forget repellent, try holding one hand above your head or sit next to someone that is either standing or smoking.

Incahiker
07-08-2008, 23:07
Don't forget the ticks, I have never gotten so many tick on me before. I hiked the Neels gap to Tesnatee gap, and I had ticks crawling all over me in the tent. I had to pick off about 20-25 ticks from the dog, and before we went she had a total of 0 ticks.

Survivor Dave
07-08-2008, 23:10
Don't forget the ticks, I have never gotten so many tick on me before. I hiked the Neels gap to Tesnatee gap, and I had ticks crawling all over me in the tent. I had to pick off about 20-25 ticks from the dog, and before we went she had a total of 0 ticks.

I think he was talking about the 3rd week in April!;)

pmazer
07-09-2008, 00:33
When are bugs bad in Georgia?

Survivor Dave
07-09-2008, 00:35
When are bugs bad in Georgia?

Pretty bad right now.

pmazer
07-09-2008, 00:40
Well, yeah, but what months are they bad in the mountains? :)

Survivor Dave
07-09-2008, 00:44
Well, yeah, but what months are they bad in the mountains? :)

That's funny. I see you are from Atlanta. Maybe a trip up to Neel Gap or somewhere around Unicoi Gap or Woody Gap might give you a better perspective.

There is a thread about ticks here. You might get better insight.

SD

Incahiker
07-09-2008, 08:08
I think he was talking about the 3rd week in April!;)

Oh, hahah, well at least now they know the ticks are bad right now.

MOWGLI
07-09-2008, 08:16
Don't forget the ticks, I have never gotten so many tick on me before.

Hey! He wanted a "bug" report. Not an arachnid report. :rolleyes:

Forgot about those pesky buggers. I think they'd be worse later in spring though, as the trailside vegetation isn't cranking in April.

Roots
07-09-2008, 10:51
I hiked Springer to Newfound Gap in April. I can vividly remember sitting for lunch at the top of a hill from a shelter, in GA, and fighting flies constantly. For some reason, those little pests were in flight pretty good during my hike. By the time I got to the Smokies, they were so bad at one shelter we were thanking God that the tarps were still up on the shelter so everyone could go in to escape them. All you could hear was humming from the flies. Don't get me wrong, the whole trip wasn't that bad just certain times more than others. I think the up and down of temps had a lot to do with them not being bad the whole trip.