PDA

View Full Version : good solar/charger gear site

grrrhaha
07-09-2008, 01:23
found some cool solar chargers for ipod/cell phone at : modernoutpost.com.
wondering if anyone who has used any of this solar stuff has any input on how well they work. thx.

shelterbuilder
07-09-2008, 20:37
While I'm not familar with this company or their products, I have "played" with solar power for a number of years. Depending on your power comsumption, the panel size, and the amount of sunlight that hits the panel, you can get reasonable results with solar. HOWEVER, solar is better in a fixed location than, say, moving around on the top of your pack. If any part ( even a small corner) of the panel becomes shaded, the entire panel can stop producing power. If you have a remote base camp or a remote cabin that's off the grid, then you can clear a "solar field" for your panel(s), and while the sun tracks across the sky, your panel will sit there, quietly and cleanly producing electricity. Of course, you need a battery or batteries to store the power in (as well as the necessary cables, fuses, junctions, etc.), but that's another story. And the panels aren't cheap! And it's NOT the same as plugging into a wall outlet - you don't have unlimited power at the flip of a switch.

If you're carrying something that absolutely needs power, and you have the time in your schedule to stop hiking in a sunny location long enough to do a charge, a small solar panel will eliminate the need for (and the wastefulness of) buying regular batteries. Otherwise, regular batteries are probably a better solution.

Wise Old Owl
07-09-2008, 23:48
Previous link and if you search there are many others

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32751&highlight=%22solar+power%22

Here is your link

http://www.modernoutpost.com/gear/power.html

NICKTHEGREEK
07-10-2008, 06:30
found some cool solar chargers for ipod/cell phone at : modernoutpost.com.
wondering if anyone who has used any of this solar stuff has any input on how well they work. thx.
My kid uses a solio h1100 for his ipod, claims it works good. He's in the desert and there's no shortage of sunlight