PDA

View Full Version : BA Seedhouse 1 weight

Elger
07-09-2008, 13:08
Has anyone really carefully weighed this tent? The website is not accurate I think and I have had owners quote as light as 2lbs 6 oz and as high as 3lbs 4oz. I am interested in what I call "trail weight", which is tent,fly,poles and the minimum stakes necessary to securely hold it.

Thanks

rafe
07-09-2008, 13:10
I weighed one at EMS once. It came to 2 lbs 6 oz. on the nose -- for the package that you'd be carrying in the woods with you. That includes the inner tent, the fly, stakes, and stuff sack.

Incahiker
07-09-2008, 15:53
The Big Agnes seedhouse one weighs in at a hefty 3lbs. 12oz. packed weight, which is what you will be carrying in your back pack.

Now the Seedhouse SL1 comes in at 2lbs. 13oz packed. Add another 5oz. for the footprint and you get 3lbs. 2oz.

This is just going from specs though. I have the Seedhouse SL1 with the footprint and it feels as light as the Hennessy hammock I used to have.

Elger
07-10-2008, 19:57
Terrapin:

There's that nice 2lb 6 oz weight again. Why do you suppose Incahiker gets a weight of 2 lbs 13 oz? Those are the very two weights that keep repeating whenever more than one person reports the weight of the Sedhouse SL 1. Assuming both you and Incahiker know how to weigh a tent, how can this be?

rafe
07-10-2008, 20:14
Terrapin:

There's that nice 2lb 6 oz weight again. Why do you suppose Incahiker gets a weight of 2 lbs 13 oz? Those are the very two weights that keep repeating whenever more than one person reports the weight of the Sedhouse SL 1. Assuming both you and Incahiker know how to weigh a tent, how can this be?

I can't answer that. But why don't you try to find out for yourself and report back your results? Seriously. Is there an outfitter near you that has them? If you are concerned with weight, you should own a suitable scale -- take that with you to the store. That's what I did.

Elger
07-10-2008, 21:43
I do have a scale, but alas, no store.

So you weighed the items you stated on your own scale at the store then, and got 2lbs 6 oz. Having read many of your posts I trust your knowledge, so that's good enough for me. Thank you very much.

BTW Do you own one? If so how do you like it? Or why did you get what you have instead of it?

rafe
07-10-2008, 21:57
BTW Do you own one? If so how do you like it? Or why did you get what you have instead of it?

No, I don't own one. It was a tough choice between the SL1 and a Tarptent Rainbow. The Rainbow is 2 lbs. on the nose, and somewhat cheaper. If I had it to do over again (and if my measurement was correct!) I might go the other way. The BA has the advantage of being double-walled; the Tarpent has more room. On hot days one could pitch the BA without the fly.

If I owned one I could be a little bit more confident in the measurement I reported. Make sure you buy it from a place with a decent return policy just in case I got it wrong. ;) Or if you buy it and don't like it... PM me. In any case, let us know the weight!

Wise Old Owl
07-10-2008, 21:58
I have found inexpensive fish digital scales at Dick Sporting Goods that removed all the doubt, When I walk into Rei it's in my pocket now. Simple Yea or Nea. I have a good discussion with the employees as they know me on sight and I appreciate their insight and knowledge.

Mark

Dogwood
07-10-2008, 22:31
Ohh, the gear manufacturer's weight game. I understand your sentiments. It seems accurate gear wts. and sleeping bag temp. ratings R are a favorite place to mis quote information. Stongly advise to read and understand how and what some gear manufacturers are claiming for gear wts. and temp. ratings. Make sure to wear your boots because the way some of this info is arrived at is pure manufactured marketing bull****.

Dogwood
07-10-2008, 22:37
Buy an inexpensive digital scale(Bed, Bath, and Beyond, Lerners)that is acccurate to 1/8 oz. to everyplace U might buy gear and be enlightened to what U R really getting in terms of gear wt.

Mocs123
07-11-2008, 00:00
I have a SL1 but not a scale so I can't give you an exact weight, but I can say that the reason you sometimes see two listed weights is that they changed a few things (new hub design etc) for the 2007 models that was supposed to make them 2lbs 6oz over the "older" SL1's 2lb 13oz. Other than the hub and slight pole differences, I don't know of any way to tell the newer SL1's from the older SL1's.

Here is a picture of the old hubhttp://www.moontrail.com/details/bigagnes/seedhouse-sl/shsl-t-hub.jpg

And here is the newer lighter hub

http://www.bigagnes.com/resources/tents/extraimages/tent-shsl-hub.jpg

rafe
07-11-2008, 00:08
I have a SL1 but not a scale so I can't give you an exact weight, but I can say that the reason you sometimes see two listed weights is that they changed a few things (new hub design etc) for the 2007 models that was supposed to make them 2lbs 6oz over the "older" SL1's 2lb 13oz. Other than the hub and slight pole differences, I don't know of any way to tell the newer SL1's from the older SL1's.

That's a good point; there are two generations of BA SL1 tents, apparently. Surprising that there's no formal difference in the designations -- like maybe a "UL" in the part or model number, or some such. Anyway, BA formally lists the "trail weight" of the current SL1 at 2 lbs. 6 oz., which I believe. In their definition of terms, BA says this on their web site:

"Trail weight includes tent body, poles, and fly (w/o guy lines). Packed weight includes tent body, poles, fly, guy lines, stuff sacks and stakes."
I'm not sure how many stakes the SL1 requires, but decent aluminum stakes come in at around 0.5 oz apiece; Titanium stakes can be had down to 0.25 oz. apiece. The stuff sack and guy lines combined can't weigh more than 1 oz. total.

Elger
07-11-2008, 11:18
MOCS123. Great post. That seems to explain it. Thanks.

Terrapin: Whoa. New Avatar. Which one is you, the previous pic in the headband or the new one? I used to look for your picture to read your posts, you tricked me up dude.

Pedaling Fool
07-11-2008, 11:21
MOCS123. Great post. That seems to explain it. Thanks.

Terrapin: Whoa. New Avatar. Which one is you, the previous pic in the headband or the new one? I used to look for your picture to read your posts, you tricked me up dude.
His last avatar had him looking like Ed Norton, now he's looking like....well never mind:D

rafe
07-11-2008, 11:36
His last avatar had him looking like Ed Norton, now he's looking like....well never mind:D

Bozo? :D :banana ;) Yeah, no doubt.

Mocs123
07-11-2008, 16:06
The SL1 comes with 13 stakes, but I only use/need 10. With a slight modification, I know some users that have gotten down to 8 stakes.

As far as the different versions, MSR has done the same thing with the Hubba/Hubba Hubba tents. They changed their hub designs to the newer lighter design about the same year, so they probably both have poles made by the same company.

rafe
07-11-2008, 17:24
13 stakes. Yowza! I'm feeling a little better about my Rainbow now. 6 stakes get the job done.

QuebecRun
07-11-2008, 18:44
My Seedhouse SL1 came to 2 lbs. 13 oz. FYI, The hub looks like the newer one pictured.

I weighed it in grams to be more exact, then used a conversion calculator for the oz.

Pole = 268 g = 9.45 oz
Fly = 410 g = 14.46 oz
Tent = 446 g = 15.73 oz
13 Stakes = 158 g = 5.57 oz

Total grams = 1282 = 45.22 oz = 2 lbs. 13 oz. (smidge over if you REALLY want to be exact)

(1 stake = 12.15 g = 0.428 oz if you want to figure weight with less than 13 stakes)

Hope this helps.

Mocs123
07-11-2008, 23:48
Thanks QuebecRun!

Incahiker
07-14-2008, 13:48
13 stakes. Yowza! I'm feeling a little better about my Rainbow now. 6 stakes get the job done.

Mine takes about 9 stakes total to get it nice,roomy, and weather proof with the fly. Without the fly it would need about 5 stakes. With the fly you have to add 4 more, 2 to keep the vestibule out, and 2 more to tie the sides of the fly off. If you really needed to batten down the hatches, you could add an additional 2 stakes to the front of the fly and tie that off. My weights were just going from what BA had posted on their website