PDA

View Full Version : Hiking SNP This weekend 7-12 and 13-08

Hikerhead
07-09-2008, 13:10
J5MAN and myself are going bear hunting this weekend. Starting south of Elkwallow Wayside and heading North. We'll be stealth camping in our hammocks. Only doing about 10 miles each day.

Anybody interested in joining us let one of us know.

Thanks

jlb2012
07-09-2008, 14:26
I might be interested in camping with ya'll Saturday night - not so sure about hiking however - you know how slow I am - PM me a clue about where the campsite might be and I'll try to find ya'll.

Hikerhead
07-09-2008, 18:36
PM sent.

Cookerhiker
07-13-2008, 19:49
I trust you enjoyed the milkshake(s)!

Hikerhead
07-13-2008, 21:12
I trust you enjoyed the milkshake(s)!

Oh yes. It was good :), the price and the amount was bad. :(

Hikerhead
07-13-2008, 21:40
The bear hunt was succesful somewhat. NJH got 5 bears, I believe HOI got a few, I saw two, shot the last one about 10 times. J5MAN was an o-fer but that just gives him an excuse to go back.

J5MAN and myself met NJH and HOI at Elkwallow Wayside on Sat at 11am and drove to Compton Gap. We hiked south about 5 miles to the top of North Marshall and made camp there. It was hot and the wind that night felt good, actually had to craw into my bag sometime that night. NJH saw 3 bears on sat, not sure if she got a good shot on any of them. It was some hot and muggy hiking.

J5MAN tried out a hammock for the first time, my old Hennessey. He said it was just OK. Wait till he tries the Clark, he'll then be sold on the hammocks.

Today we had about 10 miles to hike to Elkwallow Wayside. It was hot and muggy again. Me and NJH were resting on top of Hogback Mtn when a bear walked thru the ferns in front of us. He had walked across about 30 or 40 yards of open ferns before we saw it and then it went into the woods.

My last sighting was about a mile before Elkwallow. I scared him more than him me...he ran out of a thicket and stopped and then just moised along while I was getting my shots in.

NJH came across a rattle snake at the SLD road crossing at Elkwallow. I showed up a little later and another hiker warmed me of it....but I didn't see it....and I was looking real close. What was distrurbing was that they said that it DID NOT rattle.

Got to Elkwallow and HOI and myself got a hamburger and shake. Then we retrieved J5MAN's car and we all went to Skyland to eat again and sip on a cold beer.

Today's hike in the heat and humidity just took it out of me...I'm really beat.

Anybody with PATC...the spring listed on the map and the profile at Hogwallow flat does not exist. If it does, please place a sign showing where it is. If it doesn't exist, take it off of your map. Every hiker we came across on Sat was looking for that spring. NJH was really put out by it as she had to hike down to Gravel Spring Hut to water up and hike back. I tried to talk her out of that as that I had some to spare.

Special thanks to HOI for giving us the chance to do some slackpacking.

We had a good time.

J5man
07-22-2008, 22:38
Alert! There are no bears in SNP! I think I am the only person in history who has spent 2 days in SNP and not see one bear! However the blackberry milkshake at Elkwallow Wayside was worth it. Yea, the jury is still on hammocking but it was better than I thought it would be. I will definitely try it again. Next time I will carry the blackberry milkshake with me and see if that might attract a bear!

Hikerhead
07-22-2008, 23:06
:)You might not have seen any but I bet a lot of bears saw you.:)

DAKS
07-23-2008, 06:29
i saw 7 bears in one day in SNP this last weekend! four just south of gravel springs and then three near milam gap.

looks like you guys had fun!