PDA

View Full Version : Pad-bag for a mid May hike

Maine Man
02-25-2004, 14:24
Hi I have a Henessy haymock ultra light A-sym that I bought this summer. I have spent a week plus in it and really like it.

I plan to use my H.H. on my northbound thru-hike this summer. I will be starting the trail quite late (May 12th) and I have some questions about what kind of pad/bag I should bring.

I tested my bag in Maine for a week during late August. During this time I was comfortable with a 25 Degree bag and no pad. I was going to use this combo for the trail but after reading all the posts I noteced that most people use a pad.

My question is what kind of pad/bag combo would you you recomend for Georgia in mid may? Also has anyone been sucsessful W/o a pad during this time?
Thanks for your Help

crazyhawk
02-25-2004, 15:11
As a Georgia resident and a H.H. user, I would say leave the pad at home for mid-May. I use a old +15 down bag with no pad as long as the low temps stay above the mid 40's.

weary
02-25-2004, 22:19
As a Georgia resident and a H.H. user, I would say leave the pad at home for mid-May. I use a old +15 down bag with no pad as long as the low temps stay above the mid 40's.

I know nothing about hammocks, but I started from
Springer about April 15 with a 20-year-old Northface down sleeping bag liner. I forget the details, but I doubt if it ever was considered adequate for more than 45 Degrees F.

During the early weeks I augmented it with a 1# down jacket, long johns, and a foam pad. The combination worked through an October 15 ascent of Katahdin, though at times I wore all my clothes, and occasionally was mildly chilly.

Weary

peter_pan
02-26-2004, 10:04
N. georgia, the Smokies and Mt Rogers area can all have some severe weather well into may. Don't forget, you will do new england in Sep/Oct with that late start and severe weather is again a real risk. Some bottom insulator is a must. A wide (atleast 24 ") pad, or under-quilt is a good idea. If you plan to use shelters also, use a pad. But if you are dedicated to luxurious sleep and never putting up with all the assorted issues in a shelter, get an under-quilt. Smee and I have a model that is nominally 48x78x1.5, down, 1.1 ripstop w/dwr, weights 19 oz.(pictures at Smee in photo gallery, also in the hammock photo gallery). We plan to make about 6 of these to bring to Trail days to see what interest they spur. They are designed for HH but will fit other hammocks as well.
On a related note, Altough I had 50 "never wet" nights last year under the HH fly I recommend a larger tarp with fluffy under-quilts. Personally, Smee and I have gone back to our 8x10 silnyls that we used the last couple of years. This is an especially good point if you are dedicated to always "hanging out". There are days it is appreciated, especially if you get stuck in a storm induced layover. Also the net is only plus 6 oz on the swap. We hear good things about Brian"s Hex Tarp. Saves a couple oz, and is mid-way between a stock HH and an 8x10 for coverage.
Whatever your choices, welcome to the wide wonderful ways of "hanging out".

ncmtns
02-26-2004, 18:48
How much are you planning on selling the under-quilts for?

N. georgia, the Smokies and Mt Rogers area can all have some severe weather well into may. Don't forget, you will do new england in Sep/Oct with that late start and severe weather is again a real risk. Some bottom insulator is a must. A wide (atleast 24 ") pad, or under-quilt is a good idea. If you plan to use shelters also, use a pad. But if you are dedicated to luxurious sleep and never putting up with all the assorted issues in a shelter, get an under-quilt. Smee and I have a model that is nominally 48x78x1.5, down, 1.1 ripstop w/dwr, weights 19 oz.(pictures at Smee in photo gallery, also in the hammock photo gallery). We plan to make about 6 of these to bring to Trail days to see what interest they spur. They are designed for HH but will fit other hammocks as well.
On a related note, Altough I had 50 "never wet" nights last year under the HH fly I recommend a larger tarp with fluffy under-quilts. Personally, Smee and I have gone back to our 8x10 silnyls that we used the last couple of years. This is an especially good point if you are dedicated to always "hanging out". There are days it is appreciated, especially if you get stuck in a storm induced layover. Also the net is only plus 6 oz on the swap. We hear good things about Brian"s Hex Tarp. Saves a couple oz, and is mid-way between a stock HH and an 8x10 for coverage.
Whatever your choices, welcome to the wide wonderful ways of "hanging out".

peter_pan
02-27-2004, 20:45
OK. Here is the deal on “Jacks ‘r’ Better” under-quilts for Hennessey hammocks and other models.

First. We have been actively working and testing hammock insulation ideas and systems for over two years. In our experience, the under-quilt is the best answer. Our homemade models have undergone a fair amount of testing. Our earliest quilts have seen 80 nights of use and 800+ miles of the AT. We are in the final stages of weight reduction and determination of the best overall attachment system. Read simplest, lightest, with adequate durability.

Second, these under-quilts are fairly described as:
* Nominal dimension are 48x78x1.5 inches.
* Fabric is 1.1 oz rip stop w/DWR treatment.
* Box baffle design uses no-seeum netting.
* Design includes a split entrance w/non-snagging, double sex Velcro hook and loop that attaches to the Hennessy’s entrance hook and loop. It can, also, be self fastened to form a flat quilt for cabin use. Further, it can be used as a top quilt, either stand-alone or as a bag liner since it has a foot sack capability.
* It attaches to the hammock without sewing or special hardware.
* Attachment time is generally under a minute.
* It may be comfortably worn as a parka length vest.
* It comes with a silnyl compression sack that allows it to be stuffed to 7x7x7.
* It weighs 18 oz; the compression sack is 1 oz.
* These prototypes are stuffed with “floor down” that has been washed, believed to be approx 750 fill.
* We have used these into the low 30s, wearing only fleece long underwear and using a down top quilt and balaclava, often barefoot.
* Photos are posted in the member gallery under Smee, and in the others gallery under Hammocks.

Third, if the market reception at Trail Days is good we may go to a limited production commercial run. The expected cost range is estimated at $175-200. Eventually, full production may result in a choice of models, of varying thickness, as well as, synthetic and down fill choices. No cost estimating of possible variants has been done. It is, however, likely to range from low for 1.5inch synthetic of $100 to high for winter thick, high fill count down at $275 or greater.

Finally, the quality of workmanship is really good on these eight prototypes. They will be for sale at Trail Days or on advance order at $175 with $50 deposit. Send a personal message if interested.

The real questions are. Does the hammock community like the idea of under-quilts? What design features should go into under-quilts? What do you think?

Shoe Leather Express
02-28-2004, 09:00
The real questions are. Does the hammock community like the idea of under-quilts?
I love the idea of an underquilt and probably lack the skills/patience to make one. However, I won't pay more for the accessory than I paid for the hammock. That's the problem you're most likely to run into.

watertight
02-28-2004, 14:23
I love the idea of an underquilt and probably lack the skills/patience to make one. However, I won't pay more for the accessory than I paid for the hammock. That's the problem you're most likely to run into.
I'm surprised at the consideration of paying more for the quilt than the hammock itself. My sleeping bag cost more than my hammock. So does the gas to get to the trail head over time. If you look at the complication of construction and cost of materials, you'll see that it would be a lot harder and time consuming and more expensive to make a good baffled quilt than the hammock. I'm not at all questioning that the market price of a quilt would be higher than a hammock.

Shoe Leather Express
02-28-2004, 14:45
I'm surprised at the consideration of paying more for the quilt than the hammock itself. My sleeping bag cost more than my hammock. So does the gas to get to the trail head over time. If you look at the complication of construction and cost of materials, you'll see that it would be a lot harder and time consuming and more expensive to make a good baffled quilt than the hammock. I'm not at all questioning that the market price of a quilt would be higher than a hammock.
My bag didn't cost me more. :D I'm not saying it won't sell, but that's where I can forsee a potential problem in selling one. It could always be contracted out to a Chineese company like Hennessey did to cut down on price.

Meh. I'm just giving feedback like the man asked for. It's just one guy's opinion, for whatever it's worth.

peter_pan
02-28-2004, 22:41
shoeleather Express makes a good point. But truth is, the cost of a good down bag does exceed the hammock...it often exceeds ones tent. A pair of down quilts at approx 2.5 lbs total is comparable to good three season down bags in both cost and weight. In fact it is a lighter and less expensive alternative to a good number of major manufacturers out there. Thanks for the feedback.

Shoe Leather Express
03-07-2004, 14:41
Originally posted by peter_pan
They will be for sale at Trail Days or on advance order at $175 with $50 deposit.
I think I'm changing my mind about buying one. I priced the materials for $125 to make one the same dimensions, but 2" thick, with 800 fill down. The extra $50 would be worth it to me to not have to sew the thing myself. There's a pretty good chance I'll be contacting you closer to the fall this year.

peter_pan
03-07-2004, 22:16
Shoeleather express. You're right on avoiding the sewing part. The real toughie is the stuffing of the down. This is best reserved until your wife is out of town for a few weeks so that you'll have a couple cycles of the cleaning service before she returns. Either that or make sure there are more flowers for her than loose down plumes in the house. Oh yea, the flowers are an ongoing issue cause those floaties can be around for a long time. :)