PDA

View Full Version : ultrasonic mosquito repeller

Gumbi
07-09-2008, 22:15
Does anyone have any experience with an ultrasonic mosquito repeller, the kind that operates on batteries?
I went on a 5 mile shake-down hike and got eaten alive! I live in eastern Iowa where we have had lots of rain and flooding and the mosquitos are horrible!. I used sunscreen with deet in it and sprayed my clothes down with OFF. I doused my hat with OFF. I rubbed OFF on my face, neck, ears, arms and all other exposed parts, but the mosquitos acted like it didn't bother them at all!
It made for a miserable hike. I did learn that hammock hanging is definitely for me, though!

Bob S
07-09-2008, 22:26
Had one years ago and found it did nothing to keep them away.

saimyoji
07-09-2008, 22:41
I've used one that ran on 1 AA: its always worked fine for me.

4eyedbuzzard
07-09-2008, 23:08
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_068.html

saimyoji
07-09-2008, 23:17
From 4eyed's link:
Some ultrasound firms say their products will also repel mice, rats, roaches, bats, fleas, spiders, and the like. The evidence to date suggests these claims are greatly exaggerated.

I have used the ultrasonic pest device inside my house and find it does not work. However, the mosquito one I use outside seems to. There must be other factors at work.

sliderule
07-10-2008, 00:10
There must be other factors at work.

There is at least one other factor. It's called "the placebo affect."

JAK
07-10-2008, 00:13
How about a ultrasonic mosquito propeller?

saimyoji
07-10-2008, 00:28
There is at least one other factor. It's called "the placebo affect."

Otherwise known as coincidence. :D worked from my perspective. sorry you're jealous.

Odd Thomas
07-10-2008, 00:34
How about a ultrasonic mosquito propeller?

I want one of those military Active Denial Systems (the heat guns), I bet a flash with one of those would knock those bugs right out of the sky!

Gumbi
07-10-2008, 01:12
I want one of those military Active Denial Systems (the heat guns), I bet a flash with one of those would knock those bugs right out of the sky!
Maybe, but I'm tellin' ya, they were BIG!:D

NICKTHEGREEK
07-10-2008, 16:38
I'd be satisfied to transmit a high frequecy buzz that simulates a mosquito that feeds on mosquitos buzzing in the little BAZTerds ears (if they have any). I'd take the hit just to annoy them.

daibutsu
07-10-2008, 17:41
You need to get your hiking buddies to apply "On" while you apply "Off."

JRiker
07-16-2008, 14:30
take vitamin c supplements. when they land on your skin they can smell the vitamin c in your blood and they'll fly off without biting you...

oldfivetango
07-16-2008, 15:08
take vitamin c supplements. when they land on your skin they can smell the vitamin c in your blood and they'll fly off without biting you...

I have heard this as well and the same about garlic.
I dont know if the garlic will work on mosquitoes for sure
or not but from what I hear it is simply awesome on werewolves
and vampires(helps to carry a wood hiking stick with a real sharp
point for use in an emergency though).
Also hear that Avon skin so soft works well but I ain't wearing that!

Oldfivetango

Bob S
07-16-2008, 15:29
Avon skin so soft works for about 20-min. then you are back to being lunch. But you smell so nice.