PDA

View Full Version : sleepingbag rating

Dan Bowen
10-11-2002, 17:14
If you could only use one bag for the hole thru-hike?
1.below 20 degrees
2.20-30 degrees
3.30-40 degrees
4.over 40 degrees

highway
10-12-2002, 07:22
This is that-a subjective question- as we all sleep differently.

Some are warm sleepers, some cold. Some sleep naked, some with clothes. The season and latitude determines the rating for most. Some forego the inherent safety of the mummy's hood and remove it for the few ounces gained.Some rely on just cool-not cold-weather and dont use a mummy at all, but use a quilt.

Peaks
10-12-2002, 08:34
You probably could make it with one sleeping bag if you used a liner.

Youngblood
10-23-2002, 20:55
You could always make it with one bag if you really wanted to. With a lot of 20* down bags you could shift the down from top to bottom as the temperatures changed. The biggest issue I thing is what months you will be on the trail. A 4 month hike from mid-April to mid-August would require less cold/hot gear changes than a 7 month hike from March to October.

With the 4 month hike you might could make it with a 30 or 40* bag. With the 7 month hike you would want to adjust the bag to be a 20 to 40* bag...or you might want to switch to a 40* bag during the warmer months to save a pound or so of pack weight. There isn't one 'right way' to do most things.

Youngblood

Hammock Hanger
11-05-2002, 16:03
I have a 45 degree down that weighs slightly over 1 1/2 pounds. Then I have used a 45 degree liner bag (or fleece bag) that weighs 1 pound. So together they only weigh 2 pounds which is still less then some 20-30 degree bags. This way I can bump one ahead when it gets warm without having to buy another. I can regulate the warmth by unzipping one while keeping the other zipped. If one gets wet I still have a back up. WHen stuffed it is not one bulky package and the two together are still smaller then some poly bags. It is sort of like a layering system. It's working for me. I am currently debating which I want to have as the inner bag more, the 45 degree liner bag or the fleece??? I like both. Just another option. HAMMOCK HANGER

MedicineMan
12-06-2002, 05:23
I use the Western Mountaineering Linelite and Megalite. The Megalite is WM 'certified' at 30 degrees and weighs 25oz", the Linelite at 14oz is rated to 45 degrees. Together that are rated to 20degrees and the beauty of layering with these is obvious because if you are small enough you can get out of the Megalite while wearing the Linelite and walk about to answer natures call in the middle of the night because the Linelite has an opening that can be cinched open or closed ..
total. weight of these two bags is listed as 39oz. which is heavy for a 20 degree bag (2.4 pounds) by about 3oz. (compared to a Feathered Friends Hummingbird at 35.9oz) but for those 3 ozs look at the variability you get....now add in 10 degrees if in a tent or when in serious doubt add a silk mummy liner and one should be good to go at 5-10degrees....also the Linelite (if you are small enough-I am not though) can easily double as a nice down vest....

ez-does-it
12-06-2002, 10:04
Hi gang,
I use the Feather Friends Hummingbird 20 % 700 fill down bag and mine only weighs 26 oz.s it has a 3/4 lenght zipper and has done me well in two thru's hope this will help you.:)

MadAussieInLondon
01-09-2003, 17:37
aaargh! I had to convert from celcius to f. my bag is a -6 which is about 20dec faren.

is a versalite fairydown bag (made in new zealand).

veeery nice. veeery light. packs down to nothing and weighs about the same!

Colter
01-17-2003, 00:40
You can also boost your warmth a lot by wearing more clothes in your bag. The advantage of boosting your bag with clothing is you can use that extra warmth during the day, sitting around the shelter, etc. and not just when you're sleeping.

Balaclavas rule for sleeping!

Doctari
01-25-2004, 10:32
My current bag is rated at 35, I will be replacing it with a similarly rated bag. The old one has kept me warm down to 17 deg: I was in Blue Mt shelter, my space blanket as ground cover (under me only) a T-rest Ultra light pad over that & I was wearing some clothing (Clothes probably added 5 deg). A few times that night I was too warm. As posted above, some sleep warm, I am one of those people, a fellow camper had a 0 bag & was cold all night.

Doctari.

cabalot
01-31-2004, 00:23
i would be interested in knowing what the outside temp is for those using a 20-30 degree bag. i am considering the marmot never winter 30+ reg.
it is 1# 15 oz. i have a thermarest guidelight and will be in a 3 season tent during winter months from NY, NJ, and PA.

Happy
01-31-2004, 00:44
The tent is going to add 5-10 degrees and if you purchase a silk liner you can add 5-7 degrees. I have the same bag and it truly weights close to 2lbs 5 oz.

I am in the process of purchasing a WM Versalite...I have only used my Marmot Never Winter 3 times...send me a PM and make me an offer. I also own a Marmot Trails which will become my summer bag. The WM Versalite will replace my old 15 degree NF Cat's Meow.

MedicineMan
01-31-2004, 02:41
We checked them on when in NZ this past September, they said they would be marketingthem in the USA soon,,,but probably under a different name since 'ferry' has implications here it doesnt have in NZ!

Also on ratings, a plug for WM bags...have awoken to outside tent temp of 4.6 but was warm and cozy in a Versalite in the tent at 8F...I am convinced (and do own 4 WM bags) that their ratings are conservative..I am a cold sleeper.

cabalot
01-31-2004, 02:44
We checked them on when in NZ this past September, they said they would be marketingthem in the USA soon,,,but probably under a different name since 'ferry' has implications here it doesnt have in NZ!

Also on ratings, a plug for WM bags...have awoken to outside tent temp of 4.6 but was warm and cozy in a Versalite in the tent at 8F...I am convinced (and do own 4 WM bags) that their ratings are conservative..I am a cold sleeper.

What does WM stand for?

MedicineMan
01-31-2004, 03:16
WM=Western Mountaineering, a manufacturer of down sleeping bags and clothes

Uncle Wayne
01-31-2004, 08:31
WM=Western Mountaineering, a manufacturer of down sleeping bags and clothes
Have to agree with Simva t MM on this one also. The WM bags are rated conservately. My wife nearly froze using one of the LL bean down bags rated 20 degrees. I bought her a WM ultralight (? I think that was the name) rated 20 degrees and under the same temp conditions she sleeps much warmer than in the LL bean bag. It's lighter also another plus.

mdionne
01-31-2004, 08:50
does the sleeping bag rating account for wind chill?

Colter
01-31-2004, 11:44

I guess the short answer would be "maybe." There's no industry-wide standard on bag ratings. Undoubtedly shell fabrics would be a big factor in the wind. One way or another, staying out of the wind in the cold is an important skill in camping.

Youngblood
01-31-2004, 12:09
I agree with Colter on everything except the "maybe", I think the answer should be "no".

However, I do understand his point about some materials being more wind resistant than others and they will help prevent the wind from penetrating your insulation... but they can't prevent wind from changing natural convection to forced convection on the boundry layer of warm air that surrounds your sleeping bag and the extra cooling effect that that causes.

Youngblood

Peaks
02-02-2004, 10:17

Wind chill is related to the effect of wind on bare skin. IE: evaporation rate. So, inside a sleeping bag there should be no exposure. Windproofing is another matter.

Kozmic Zian
02-27-2004, 11:39
Yea......Bags. I'm with you Doctari. I have a 35o North Face bag. But, it cuts off the warmth at about 32o-30o. But, I also, in colder weather, carry a down filled quilt, stuffs to nothing, weighs less that a #, it fits in the sleeping bag stuff sac. It and the bag will take me down to 25o-20o, with clothes on. I'll carry the quilt the spring time, then send it home. Works for me!........KZ@