PDA

View Full Version : Question for couples: first aid

Lops
07-10-2008, 10:47
Our last hike we each carried first aid kits that were fully functional (the kind you would carry if you were alone) and I thought it was a bit too much - weight and first-aid overkill. Do you think each person carrying one is necessary?:confused: I was thinking of either getting rid of one all together, having one person carry only the essentials, or splitting the load of one kit?

We tend to hike together, maybe separated for parts of the day, but end up at the same place at night...

Thanks

Roots
07-10-2008, 11:30
My husband and I have only 1 1st aid kit. We are usually no farther apart than "the eye can see", though. We split all the weight in our packs and it has always worked well. Maybe you could carry the 1st aid and she could carry something else with similar weight, for example. Good luck!

Lops
07-10-2008, 11:43
Thanks Roots! I think we'll probably go the route of one carrying and one not.

WalkingStick75
07-10-2008, 19:12
My first aid kit weighs 6oz, I did carry a few bandaids when the kids hiked with me but knowledge is more important then the items you carry.

shelterbuilder
07-10-2008, 20:36
Just remember that, if you're separated "more than the eye can see", and someone gets hurt, that person may not have the necessary equipment to patch themselves up. And if the injured party is the one bringing up the rear, the person in front may not know that there's trouble for several hours. YMMV.

Blissful
07-10-2008, 20:36
We had one first aid kit - my son carried it as he needs the epi pen. But I did carry my own ace wrap and a few bandaids along with my own meds (like Advil).

take-a-knee
07-10-2008, 23:23
Both need blister stuff at a minimum. I like duct tape for hot spots, and I've started carrying a tiny pair of bandage sisscors in a belt pocket so I don't have to dig into my pack when I stop.

orangebug
07-11-2008, 07:30
Much of this depends on your specific definition of a first aid kit.

I'd encourage each hiker to carry their own medications and some basic wound care (duct tape wrapped around a hiking pole and bandana or other gauze substitute). Each will carry orthopedic gear for splints (pack stays, hiking poles, duct tape, clothing to cushion the splints). If you treat water with iodine or other bleaching agent, you have antiseptic. If you carry water in something, you can lavage foreign objects from eyes or wounds.

What more do you need to carry?

ADD: Don't forget the whistle that each carries.

Lone Wolf
07-11-2008, 07:33
aspirin and ibuprofen is all we carry

The Solemates
07-11-2008, 09:42
we do not carry anything. not even ibuprofen.

Lops
07-11-2008, 10:10
Thanks for the help...great info...it looks like having one of us carrying a little bit heftier kit (I was thinking under 6 oz) and the other carrying just the bare essentials might be a good idea. She tends to use quite a bit more ibuprofen then me, so she'll need to stock up in that.

good point orangebug-->We each carry a whistle on our pack straps.

jesse
07-11-2008, 10:24
I carry a minimal amount of stuff for me and my son. We are never separated.

LIhikers
07-12-2008, 22:17
My wife and I carry one kit, we almost always are together.

Homer&Marje
07-12-2008, 22:25
My wife and I as well keep 1 well equipped kit. Never used it until last weekend when i split open my finger with the knife. Glad we had the kit and glad the wife was there to find the gauze pads, otherwise I would have lost a lot more blood. I think i will have her carry our old first aid kit with at least some gauze and tape in there, We always carry tylenol pm too, nothing better to soothe the pain and put you to sleep no matter what the surface! Just my suggestions tho.

Frau
07-12-2008, 22:53
Nessmuk is a nurse and is well-prepared--with our one kit. I do have a small one I carry when I hike alone. He was camped in the Deal's Gap area when he ended up with a sliver of wood in his eye (chopping up fire wood), and so has things for what I consider freak accidents.

Frau

gumball
07-13-2008, 08:04
My husband and I carry separate everything, including first aid kits. Even though we usually are always within eyesight, there is always the possibility of getting separated--so we each carry what we need to get through a 24 hour period without the other, including shelter. If one of us is injured and can't walk and the other has to go for help--then we are separated. We figure that the possibility always exists that someone may have to leave the other to go for help if someone really gets hurt (ie, breaks something or snake bite).

That being said, we don't carry much more than band aids, blister repair and ibuprofen, as well as a stick-um pen for allergic reactions...so our first aid packs aren't heavy.

Sailor (The other one)
07-13-2008, 09:09
I was a scout and I think they've got it right: be prepared. That means Knowledge, skills, are most important. The ability to improvise may be second. That's why scouts wear those bandanas as part of the uniform.
Nevertheless, Mudpie and I carry three (three!?) first aid kits. We each carry a minimal on our person at all times. Mudpie also carries a larger kit, which does not duplicate the smaller ones but carries stuff we are less likely to need. She has a steel plate in her right leg that occassionally gives her trouble and is happy to carry one of those instant ice things in case we can't find a source of cold water. She'd rather carry the weight then have to get off the trail. It contains some other items we've needed rarely, but needed, in the past, such as some serious pain medication, an ACE bandage, a little Benadryl, a little Oragel, gauze, Immodium. The personal kits are for the reason Gumball gave - it is always possible for someone to get lost or for people to otherwise get seperated. For example, last year in the AT in Georgia, when there was no water from Amicolola to Stover Creek and we were making low mileage, Mudpie stayed in camp while I took our water carriers down to the Hike Inn for water. No sense in two making that extra hike, so we each had our personal emergency gear with us. For these reasons, we each also carry other emergency/rescue/survival stuff on our persons at all times also. We each have a whistle and a Photon II micro light on a neck lanyard and we use this system: two whistle blasts mean "Hey! Where are you?" and one - after a purposeful pause - means "I'm over hear." (We won't use three because that's the international signal for "I'm lost. Rescue me" and could involve others in a non-emergency. That's why the purposeful pause.) The rest includes such things as a knife, emergency shelter/warmth, fire making supplies, a compass, ziplock bag, aluminum foil, signal mirror, waterproof matches. We've gone over the use of all this stuff. I've learned the hard way. I got lost once as a teen, following another teen who said he was sure of the way. We had no signaling devices or other emergency gear and he wouldn't stay put. Luckily, we were not in a large forest, no one got hurt and I spotted some power lines in the distance, and we followed those out to a road and were picked up by a deputy who was looking for us.

Lops
07-13-2008, 14:23
Thanx everyone, very helpful!

RBrownkatz -- I see your reasoning about the 3 kits. It makes more sense than what we did on the Knobstone trail - two rather large kits. We're still toying with the idea of one small and one large...will consider the 3 kit approach. And there's definately no denying the importance of knowledge and skils!

Frau -- A splinter...in the eye!! Wow-How did that get resolved?