PDA

View Full Version : Rock Climbing On The Trail

azchipka
02-25-2004, 20:40
As I have never hiked the Southern part of the AT, does any one know if there are any areas the are suitable for rock climbing on the southern part of the AT or on a nearby side trail. I am trying to decide to pack my rope from the start or put it in a mail drop for once i get up north.

If there is anyone who know specific areas on the Southern AT that would be great to cause then i could just place it in the nearest drop before those spots. I was going to put it in my bounce box but then figured that wouldnt work cause by the time i got the rope i would have already passed where i wanted to climb.

Its only an issue because as I am sure most of you know 150' of climbing rope is kinda heavy.

jlb2012
02-25-2004, 20:48
well one place that is right on the AT is the Little Stoney Man area of Shen. - its about a mile or two north from Skyland area - in the summer it is not at all unusual to find people top roping right there - as one hikes one has to step over their ropes.

weary
02-25-2004, 22:36
I wouldn't carry rock climbing gear on the AT. I figure one adventure at a time. The trail itself is enuf of a challenge. If you manage to get within hailing distance of Katahdin, I might consider consider a traverse of the knife Edge, and maybe an escape down the Chimney. But leave that planning for much, much later.

The Chimney requires reasonable caution. I did it one February and have thought about it from time to time as a summer ascent, but just never got around to it.

There are a couple of interesting chock stones that require some skill to get around. But I wouldn't carry a rope from Georgia for that particular challenge. The Knife Edge itself requires no technical ability, but is a fitting conclusion to a six-month walk from Georgia,

Weary

Chickenfeet
03-03-2004, 14:58
Both in Virginia...Tinker Cliffs is right after MacAfee's knob, just outside Catawba. Dragon's Tooth is just before Catawba. But I wouldn't carry a rope. Yeah, I know I'm a big wimp anyway, but Flanders wouldn't carry a rope either. And Flanders was jizzing himself over rock climbing when we passed tinker cliffs. But you could probably make a rock climbing day coming out of Four Pines Hostel...get a rope sent there, and have Joe (from four pines) drop you off and pick you up, and you'd only have to carry the rope for a day. Or even better yet, let us know when you're going to be doing tinker cliffs and maybe we'll come and work some trail magic there, complete with top rope set up.

xoxo
chickenfeet (and flanders)

Grimace
03-03-2004, 15:06
Heading North from KEnt you do a nice walk along the Housatonic River. There is a rock formation that you hike down from to get to the river. Saw people climbing there. You could do a day trip from Kent easily. The rocks havea name but its escaping me right now.

azchipka
03-03-2004, 16:47
I am going to carry my rope with me on the trail but i ordered 5mm rope (under 1.6 lbs) to use while I am on the trail instead. 5mm rope will only save you from one hard fall (helps that im light) but I figure I can always replace it if i have a fall. So any rock climbers doing the trail leaving in late march early april hit me up maybe we can get together.

B Thrash
03-03-2004, 21:24
William & Mary College has a course taught (Kinesiology) (Body Motion Study) where they rock climb as part of the course that is near the Bear's Den in VA (I think) it has been four or five years ago since I run upon them. You might contact the Department of Kinesiology to fine out where their training cliffs are.

smokymtnsteve
03-03-2004, 21:29
there are some nice rock faces in the road cut at winding stair gap on us 64 ...franklin nc

also there are some rock faces near tray mtn.

charlies bunion in the GSMNP

Dances with Mice
03-03-2004, 22:03
I'm willing bet the rope gets sent home or forward soon. But if you want to know the first good opportunity to try it out in Georgia:

Walking north from Hawk Mtn Shelter and immediately before Sassafrass Mtn you'll come to Horse Gap. There's a Forest Service Road parallelling the Trail, follow it north about a quarter or third of a mile. You'll find a quarried cliff face, can't miss it, there's a car park and campsite there. There's also a route up the side to set the top rope. In spring, areas of the rock face may be wet from dripping springs but many people run out of water on the Hawk Mtn to Justus Creek section anyway, so climb, refill your water bottles, then go back and tackle Sassafrass. If your goal that day is to travel between Hawk Mtn and Gooch Mtn shelters, you'll have lots of time to try some climbing. Go for it.

torch
03-11-2004, 13:52
I think Grimace might be talking about St. John's Ledge. If he is, then it is a sizable slab, but if you are an accomplished climber, it will be a bit on the easy side. Rather than haul your rope up there, why not have it sent to you in a mail-drop near that area, use it, then send it back?

springerfever
03-11-2004, 15:39
In the Standing Indian area of North Carolina there is a side trail off one of the FS roads, just before Albert Mountain that leads to Pickins Nose. I did this
sidetrail on a 22 mile marathon day and enjoyed a lunch at this spot. Saw quite a few rock climbers doing their thing.....looked like a great area and wild azalea/rhododendron was blooming in profusion in early June...A simply beautiful area.....the entire Standing Area basin.......

Do a Google search on Pickins Nose ; I think you'll find some information........

Pencil Pusher
05-27-2004, 18:50
You are crazy to climb on 5mm rope. You may as well just leave that behind and free solo on acid.