PDA

View Full Version : Which way from Harpers Ferry in September

English Stu
07-10-2008, 12:26
I did the southern third of the AT in 2004,Roanoke to Springer and will becoming over again in late August to do the JMT .I am breaking my journey back to the UK at Washington DC mid Sept and have seven to ten days to return to the AT from say Harpers Ferry. Should I go south or north from there ? Or would it be better to travel a bit ,not too far,to a better section with good weather.

A-Train
07-10-2008, 12:30
If I had to hike one way or the other from HF, I'd go north. Neither direction is particularly exciting.

Not sure where you got off to go to Roanoke, but I'd start back around there and head north to Waynesboro or Luray for 7-10 days. This section is much nicer, IMO.

Enjoy the JMT, THAT trail rocks.

rafe
07-10-2008, 12:36
What A-Train said. Harpers Ferry is sort of in the center of a (relatively) mild and not terribly interesting stretch of AT. If I may ask -- why not pick up where you left off at Roanoke and continue heading north?

sasquatch2014
07-10-2008, 12:58
Not sure exactly when we are doing it but we are planning a Parade O'Fools trip south through the Shenanadoah. This will be a week or so trip sometime in the middle of Sept to end of the month. Would love to have you join us if it fits your time frame.

Kerosene
07-10-2008, 13:48
Mid-September is too early for good Fall colors around D.C., so I'd probably just head down to Roanoke and hike north until you have to stop.

fiddlehead
07-10-2008, 14:15
Maine is the best part.
or are you looking to save it for last?
Harper's Ferry in either direction is bland comparatively.

I'd stay out west and keep going after you finish the JMT and either keep goin north or south on the PCT.

Moon Monster
07-11-2008, 01:44
What are your transportation options? You can train to Charlottesville and go from Rockfish Gap south to the James River and then train back to DC from Lynchburg. That's 75-80 miles on the AT. Amtrak tickets are selling out at least 3 weeks in advance this summer. You can likely drop off a one way auto rental at either city as well. Either way, this is my favorite stretch that is less than a half day's transit from DC. Rain systems that time of year tend to be once to twice a week and last less than 24 hours, but occasional hurricanes or tropical storms can upset that greatly.

But, I agree that staying in the Sierra is a nice option. September is a lucky time to be there.

modiyooch
07-11-2008, 07:10
start at RT 50 in VA, and hike North thru Harper's Ferry to Pen Mar Park. You get the roller coaster, Bears Den Hostel, Harper's Ferry and other historical areas, ATC office, 4 states (completing 2), the Mason-Dixon line, Pen Mar and that mountain right before Pen Mar. I disagree with the other posters. I found the trail to be interesting and a change of pace than VA.

English Stu
07-11-2008, 10:08
I got on the Trail in 2004 at Daleville and went to Springer.Makes sense to go back I just didn't want to waste a lot of time getting there.What are the travel options ,don't fancy hiring a car.I get into Dulles Washington DC at 17:00hrs just thought there was train out there to Harpers Ferry.Could have stopped out west but wanted to do a bit on the AT.

Cookerhiker
07-11-2008, 16:53
I got on the Trail in 2004 at Daleville and went to Springer.Makes sense to go back I just didn't want to waste a lot of time getting there.What are the travel options ,don't fancy hiring a car.I get into Dulles Washington DC at 17:00hrs just thought there was train out there to Harpers Ferry.Could have stopped out west but wanted to do a bit on the AT.

Given that you'd rather not rent a car or go too far while relying on public transportation, can you hike 120 miles in your 7-10 days? If so, you can hike from Harpers Ferry to Duncannon.

If you're arriving at Dulles, you first must take a shuttle or bus to downtown Washington DC (it's a national embarassment that in the US capital, there's no rapid rail service from our major international airport to the heart of downtown) and then a train to Harpers Ferry. Schedules via the Maryland MARC commuter rail line are here (http://www.mtamaryland.com/services/marc/schedulesSystemMaps/brunswick.cfm). There's also one AMTRAK train per day to HF - the Capitol Limited (http://www.amtrak.com/timetable/may08/P29.pdf).

In Duncannon, you take a taxi ride to Harrisburg and pick up AMTRAK to Philadelphia. (http://www.amtrak.com/timetable/may08/W10.pdf)I don't believe there's local bus service Duncannon-to-Harrisburg but I suggest sending a PM to Trail Angel Mary for her advice. If you can't make it to Duncannon, keep the ATC list of shuttlers (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/atf/cf/%7BD25B4747-42A3-4302-8D48-EF35C0B0D9F1%7D/ATshuttleWEB_May_29_2008.pdf) handy and arrange a shuttle from Boiling Springs or wherever to Harrisburg. Once in Philadelphia, take AMTRAK's Northeast Corridor (http://www.amtrak.com/timetable/may08/W02.pdf)back to Washington.

It's ambitious hiking but as others have said, it's not a particularly difficult section. Hope it works for you.

NICKTHEGREEK
07-11-2008, 17:47
Stu, you'll miss the last train to Harpers by at least 3 hrs counting delays/baggage/ and transport Dulles to Union Station. Arrival day is a waste unless you taxi direct to Harpers, easily a $100.00 proposition.

http://www.nps.gov/archive/hafe/travel.htm

Pepper Beard
07-12-2008, 01:27
there are several trains that go to Harpers Ferry each day and several more that go to Brunswick, MD which is a short distance away. A MARC train will cost you minimal money.

The last Marc train leaves Washington DC at 715pm and arrives at Harpers Ferry at 842pm.

Pepper Beard
07-12-2008, 01:27
Forgot to add, the MARC trains only run Mon-Fri