PDA

View Full Version : am i too old

CVANN
07-10-2008, 13:27
im 49 overweight, and havent hiked in 8 years, is it too late for me?
i have been wanting to hike this trail for years. hiked from damascus
to partnership shelter in 3.5 days in 2000,opinions?:-?

cowboy nichols
07-10-2008, 13:31
I can't believe your asking. Getout and start walking.

Lone Wolf
07-10-2008, 13:32

damascus to partnership in 3.5 days is faster than average. you're not too old at all. lose some weight and get out there. it's just walking

kanga
07-10-2008, 13:34
no one is ever too old and it is never too late. and the hiking will solve the overweight part in short order. if you decide to do it and want a part-time hiking partner in GA, NC, and TN, let me know and I'll join in as often as work allows!! if you knew what you'd get back out of doing it, i would bet you'd already be there. now, get your butt out there!

4eyedbuzzard
07-10-2008, 13:36
Unless your weight is such that it makes it medically impossible or dangerous for you to hike, why not just start slow and get back in shape? I've had 3 major back/disk injuries since 2003. Couldn't hike at all for the last two years until this spring. I've got lifting and carrying restrictions, and aerobically I'm not in good shape. So i'm starting back slow, <6 mile/day, overnight and two night hikes, over easy to moderate terrain. If you think about it in terms of completing a thru-hike, it often seems insurmountable if there are medical problems holding you back. Just set shorter intermediate goals and don't worry about the entire trail for now.

Survivor Dave
07-10-2008, 13:39

CVANN, I was 44 when I started hiking. Seriously obese, diabetes, and high blood pressure. My weight was hovering around 300 lbs. That's OK if I was an NFL player at 6'6". I'm 5'10".

I see that you have hiked in the past, so you know what it's like.

The first hiking step was hard, but not as hard as the decision to do something about my health and take ACTION.

I'll tell you what, it's the best thing I've done for myself in years.

Best of luck and get on out there! S-L-O-W-L-Y:banana.

SD

HikerRanky
07-10-2008, 13:40

First of all, welcome to WhiteBlaze!:welcome

It's never too late IMHO to begin hiking... Having said that, you really need to do a brutal analysis of your physical capabilities.... As has been said for many things before, small steps, then larger strides, then running sprints..

Many people, myself included, do a section at a time.... I would suggest reading some of the articles (http://whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=content) here on WB about preparation (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=184425#post184425) and then perhaps find an easy section to hike for the first outing.... That way you are making progress towards your goal.

Hope this helps!

Randy

Survivor Dave
07-10-2008, 13:41
Unless your weight is such that it makes it medically impossible or dangerous for you to hike, why not just start slow and get back in shape? I've had 3 major back/disk injuries since 2003. Couldn't hike at all for the last two years until this spring. I've got lifting and carrying restrictions, and aerobically I'm not in good shape. So i'm starting back slow, <6 mile/day, overnight and two night hikes, over easy to moderate terrain. If you think about it in terms of completing a thru-hike, it often seems insurmountable if there are medical problems holding you back. Just set shorter intermediate goals and don't worry about the entire trail for now.

Re-Ditto to that 4EB.:D

weary
07-10-2008, 13:41
no one is ever too old and it is never too late. and the hiking will solve the overweight part in short order. ....
Well, I'm not sure about "never," but "never" certainly arrives only rarely by age 49.

Weary

bloodmountainman
07-10-2008, 13:42
Since when is 49 too old? I'll turn 50 this summer, and was away from backpacking for several years, raising kids, taking care of business, and other obligations. Your heading into the best years of life.......get out there and enjoy them! It's the best recreation for geezers!;)

Kerosene
07-10-2008, 13:45
Just take it slower, spread your hiking out across an entire day with frequent breaks, and don't try to cover as many miles. Moving to a hammock for a summer hike will give you a lot more options as to where to stop for the night. Ideally you'd get out there for 3-4 weeks or more so you can shed a lot of that weight, but you'll get benefits from any time you're out there hoofing it.

Footslogger
07-10-2008, 13:46
==============================

Age is just a chronological phenomenon. I didn't have a weight issue and thru hiked the AT successfully in 2003.

My suggestion would be to start walking and/or exercising regularly, get the weight a bit under and if you feel good then start backpacking/hiking.

'Slogger

The Solemates
07-10-2008, 13:53
you're too old. i'd sit on the couch instead.

Quoddy
07-10-2008, 13:59
Oh, to be 49 and young again. How much farther and faster I'd go.

rafe
07-10-2008, 14:03
What everyone else said. 49 is not old. (I did ~600 miles of AT last year at age 54 and at least 35 pounds over "ideal" weight.)

fiddlehead
07-10-2008, 14:08
Yeah, you're too old.
Just go book your spot in the local cemetery. Probably best for you.

But then again, you might just miss some of the best years of your life.
I was in my prime 7 years ago when i ran the Leadville 100 in 26.5 hours and then started the toughest hike of my life.
But that's me. You are you, and must decide if you're over the hill, or just getting ready.

Oh yeah, i had my first kid when i was 55 and am seriously thinking about another one. Except that it will mean that i can't thru hike again till i'm 75. I doubt that would be a problem though.

Up to you man.

Mrs Baggins
07-10-2008, 14:20
Oh good grief! I'm 52, have had 2 kids, and didn't start hiking until I was 46. I did my first 20 mile overnight at 47. I did 70 miles on the AT last March after mostly sitting on my rear in a high rise apartment in Canada for 8 months. I did walk to the stores and tried to use the stairs whenever possible but not much more than that. Just get out there and don't ever let me hear those hideous words "too old" out of you (or anyone else!) ever again! Now start walking! :banana

CVANN
07-10-2008, 15:07
damascus to partnership in 3.5 days is faster than average. you're not too old at all. lose some weight and get out there. it's just walking
actually re thinking the trip it was 4.5 so now im below average lol

Mzee
07-10-2008, 15:12
I have just two words for you: Grandma Gatewood

From Wikipedia:
"She hiked the trail in 1955 at the age of 67, wearing Keds sneakers and carrying an army blanket, a raincoat, and a plastic shower curtain which she carried in a homemade bag slung over one shoulder, thus making her a pioneer of ultralight backpacking. She hiked it again in 1960 and then again at age 75 in 1963, making her the first person to hike the trail three times (though her final hike was completed in sections). She is also credited with being the oldest female thru-hiker by the Appalachian Trail Conference."

She's my inspiration.

Get a medical checkup. Tell the Doc what you want to do. If the Doc says it's ok, start short and slow, and build from there. You can do it.

Cookerhiker
07-10-2008, 15:15
Having just turned 60, 49 sounds pretty young to me!:) I echo the advice you're already received on this thread.

One book you may want to consider (it's available through the ATC) is Robert Rubin's On the Beaten Path. Rubin was about 10 years younger than you when he began his hike but he was still middle-aged and quite overweight. I don't normally recommend this book because of some other issues, but in your case you'll see that an overweight middle-aged guy can successfully thru-hike.

Sly
07-10-2008, 15:25
I started long distance hiking when I was 45, thru-hiked the CDT at 50.

Sly
07-10-2008, 15:28
actually re thinking the trip it was 4.5 so now im below average lol

What's it about 70 miles? That's over 15 miles per day. Nothing at all wrong with that, especially for a section hike.

jesse
07-10-2008, 15:50
Listen to your body. Overweight can lead to all sorts of problems, with feet, and knees, and back, especially if your pack is too heavy. Best advise I can give is what I did myself, about 4 years ago when I was 49, and about 30 lbs overweight. I started eating better, and walking. I don't get out and backpack but once every month or two, but I am walking/jogging an hour a day, everyday, mostly up and down a fairly steep hill. Good news, overweight can be cured, and is free.

Singe03
07-10-2008, 16:08
Had a 60+ year old hiking some of us in our 30s in to the ground in 2003, including a one day jaunt over the roller-coaster in 90+ degree heat.

Blissful
07-10-2008, 16:27
No way are you too old or anything else!!! (I went at age 44 and 30 lbs overweight)

Hike, hike hike and enjoy the epxerince. And read about hiking here on WB, prep etc to help you as well.

Blissful
07-10-2008, 16:28
Listen to your body. Overweight can lead to all sorts of problems, with feet, and knees, and back, especially if your pack is too heavy. Best advise I can give is what I did myself, about 4 years ago when I was 49, and about 30 lbs overweight. I started eating better, and walking. I don't get out and backpack but once every month or two, but I am walking/jogging an hour a day, everyday, mostly up and down a fairly steep hill. Good news, overweight can be cured, and is free.

Good advice as well. Best to start walking and training now though. And watch the bread and sugar.

JAK
07-10-2008, 16:46
Ideal weight for hiking is whatever you weigh now.
49. Perfect age. I envy you.

mark schofield
07-10-2008, 18:06
As my age increases I get slower and don't go as far each day as I did when I was 30. But I'm not to old. Just older and slower than I was a long time ago. Mark S.

modiyooch
07-10-2008, 18:24
2-3 years ago I ran into a couple in their 70s that were thru hiking. I met them near Harper's Ferry.

WalkingStick75
07-10-2008, 19:04
Never too late to loose weight, never too old to hike. Talk to your doctor, start hiking, know your limits.

rlharris
07-10-2008, 19:07
I probably won't through-hike, but Brad (my Chesapeake) and I are tackling the 4000 footers in NH. We're a quarter of the way through them. Oh, by the way, I'll be 70 in less than three months.

boarstone
07-10-2008, 19:09
hey buddy...so am I, by about my pack weight of 30lbs, so IF I lose my pack weight, I can hike more effeciently, if I don't, I have to pack less weight and/or hike slower and less miles per day, but at least I'm OUT THERE doing something! Not sitting here in WB reading what others are doing and wish I was....:)

Lilred
07-11-2008, 01:48
There was a guy this year that started the trail at the age of 84. Anyone know if he's still out there?

LIhikers
07-11-2008, 07:20
If you're still above ground it's not to late. Like Lone Wolf says, "it's only walking".
Just make the walk one youo can enjoy.

kayak karl
07-11-2008, 07:41
i think people later in life can appreciate hiking MORE :-? . have more life to compare it to.:rolleyes:

MOWGLI
07-11-2008, 07:47

I think you got your answer. Let us know when you start exercising. Today would be a great day to start.

Lyle
07-11-2008, 07:55
You better not be too old, or I'm gonna have a miserable retirement!

Marta
07-11-2008, 10:35
My motto is to use age and guile (and money) instead of youth and strength. It works for me.

neo
07-11-2008, 10:45

I will be 50 in november and i have never felt better:cool:neo

oops56
07-11-2008, 10:46
You know you are old when you can't bend over to tie your shoes the belly gets in the way.Also all them things you put off tell later now its later and you say tomorrow i will do it but there is 365 tomorrows.:confused:

MOWGLI
07-11-2008, 10:48
You know you are old when you can't bend over to tie your shoes the belly gets in the way.

I thought that's what fallen trees are for?? :confused: :D

squirrel bait
07-11-2008, 10:59
Take it easy and take it slow. I climbed hand over hand,:eek: resting maybe every 20 feet over Dragoon's Tooth when I was 49. My recommendation, don't start with that stretch, but get out there. Good luck CVANN, have some fun.

boarstone
07-11-2008, 11:06
Hey, my plan is to hike the AT SOBO the spring I turn 62, I'm 54 now, I still hike when I can, it's never too old!:D Get out and just start, somewhere, anywhere....

CVANN
07-11-2008, 11:07
started excercising about 3 weeks ago, have lost about 4 lbs
thanks for the encouragement

auburnbreeze
07-11-2008, 11:30
I know you've heard this from all of WB, but you're never too old! There are some great places to go that are good to start you off! Its tough but I just started hiking a few years ago and love it! Its great just to be out away from society. Good Luck! Hope to meet you on trail one day!

mudhead
07-11-2008, 11:44
started excercising about 3 weeks ago, have lost about 4 lbs
thanks for the encouragement

Good! Start reading food labels. It is amazing what is in processed food.

The amount of sugar and fat in what you would think would be healthy is scary.

No fad or crash diets!

double d
07-11-2008, 12:21
CVANN: I just turned 40 and age is nothing more then a state of mind, as the old saying goes. Think of it this way: everyday you have a balanced diet and you get a good workout in (at least 20 min. 4-5 times a week), you will be in better shape (both in body and mind) the next day. Try and change your thinking about food, not as pleasure, but as fuel (yes, pizza and beer taste great, but only once in a great while). I would also suggest a visit to a GP doctor, get your physical in and let the doctor go over any issue that needs to be addressed (as you have mentioned, you have some concerns). Good luck and don't like anything get in your way.

Montego
07-14-2008, 13:48
I hadn't hiked much since I was 32 but got out there and did 6 days on the AT (unfortunately, I was called back home) at the young age of 57, in May (now 58). Yeah, the mileage was slow for the first couple of days and I had to take a lot of rest breaks but the mileage picked up and the need for rest breaks dropped as I started to get into shape.

Yeah, there was a couple of times I wondered "why the heck am I doing this to myself" but by day 5 I was starting to really have fun, take pictured of the scenery, and look forward to meeting and talking with other hikers. I am looking forward to doing some more (if not all) of the AT again, hopefully next spring.

Listen to the advice of others and just get out there and do it. I had the time of my life, even if it was way too short and so will you. Just take it slow, keep your backpack weight down, and live for the moment.

Red Hat
07-14-2008, 13:57
Take it easy and take it slow. I climbed hand over hand,:eek: resting maybe every 20 feet over Dragoon's Tooth when I was 49. My recommendation, don't start with that stretch, but get out there. Good luck CVANN, have some fun.

Dragon's tooth was the most dangerous place I had hiked before in over 1000 miles. Then I went to Maine to do a SOBO... Never could get used to the boulder climbing (up or down!) I recommend starting in the south. By the time you get to NH and Maine you have to decide if you can do the boulders and if it is worth the danger to say you have done the thru... Probably not a good time for me to post as I'm still overcoming my withdrawals... But it isn't about age, it is about attitude. My husband says that under 40 you think you are invincible, but after 40, you are a bit more careful.

mudcap
07-14-2008, 14:13
You are never too old,just start hiking again. I let myself get old and fat. I got back into after years off the trail. Best thing I have done for myself in years was to get my butt back on the trail. I kept car camping all the time,but that is a whole different deal. Enjoy yourself.

bigmac_in
07-14-2008, 14:27
When the Piddler and I decided to start section hiking 4 years ago we were both 45, and old college buddies. Now we're both 49 (same as you), and planning a hike every year is very exciting. Thinking about adding a fall hike now as well.

The real reason I wanted to reply was to relay a story from our first section hike. We car camped at the USFS42 parking lot the night before we started. In the morning, as we were getting ready to head up Springer Mtn., two "experienced" hikers came out of the wood. Of course, I had to go talk to them. It was a man and woman hiking together (not a couple). I asked how far they had come, and was informed they started at Newfound Gap. I was impressed, and encouraged that these two, who were obviously older than I, had hiked that far.

I asked if either of them had hiked the whole trail and the woman said "he has". At which point, the guy says "that was 10 years ago". The kicker was her retort - "He's 81". WOW !

I cussed his name every hill we climbed the next 2 days, because it wasn't easy for me right off the couch, and this 81 year old man had just walked through the same route. (In jest, of course) My goal is to be that 81 year old man in the year 2040, and have some "youngster" of 49 cussing my name. :D

weary
07-14-2008, 15:25
.....I would also suggest a visit to a GP doctor, get your physical in and let the doctor go over any issue that needs to be addressed (as you have mentioned, you have some concerns). Good luck and don't like anything get in your way.
I observed my 64th birthday a couple of weeks after starting north in 1993.(I almost said celebrated, and then I remembered)

I asked my doctor about the wisdom of a long distance hike before starting. His reply. "It's probably the best thing you could possibly do," or words to that effect.

I wasn't in any great shape. I'd had a leaking heart valve for years. My knees were always my big complaint when I visited the doc for annual physicals. I was slow going up hills thanks to the leaky valve. A swollen toe cost me a week's delay at Rainbow Springs. Undiagnosed excruciating pain in my right thigh cost me another 10 days in late August, so I had to bypass southern New England in order to make Katahdin by snowfall.

But it was the best thing I've ever attempted in terms of overall health and for my mental and emotional outlook. I still have a few nooks and crannies to fill in before qualifying for 2000 miler status, which I'll probably never do. A patch no longer seems that important.

Talk to your doc. If he advises against a thru hike, get a second opinion -- maybe even a third, if needed.

Weary

Monkeywrench
07-14-2008, 16:35
If you think you're too old, you're too old.

Allen, at a very young 49

Appalachian Tater
07-14-2008, 16:40
to partnership shelter in 3.5 days in 2000,opinions?:-?Just start out slow.

rafe
07-14-2008, 17:00
My father-in-law is 93 years old and can barely walk. He's too old.

Plodderman
07-14-2008, 17:06
Just hiked from Adkins to Damascus a few weeks ago. I am 49 and tend to be on the Clydesdale side myself but man was it fun. We did it from Monday afternoon through Friday morning.

Every year I take a week or two, to do a long hike and usually take 3-4 months getting ready by hiking some trails near my home.

Good Luck.

Cherokee Bill
07-14-2008, 17:15
I can't believe your asking. Getout and start walking.

:-? If you can still walk and are still drawing breath, then the only thing holding you back,.......... is you ;)

"If there is something you really want to do, then do it today"! :D We are not promised a "tomorrow". Good-Health is something we can lose in the blink-of-an-eye.

Metaphor Man
07-14-2008, 17:17
There are obviously multiple variables involved for someone starting to hike who is overweight. Aside from choosing more carefully where you hike and going slow because of inital weight I would agree with those who suggested talking to your doc. Maybe a stress test (maybe not) to help understand limitations and/or risks. With this kind knowledge you can plan your hiking in a much more meaningful and safe way. 49 is not 20, no matter what the motivation.

Silver Bear
07-14-2008, 17:18
I turn 66 in Sept. I just did New Found Gap to Davenport Gap, approximatly 35 miles in 3 days. I have been building up to this since the first of the year. It took me 7 days in 3 trips to do from Fontana Dam to New Found Gap. Totally out of shape at the first of the year. I think anyone can do it, you just have to set your pace.

At this point I am a section hiker with plans to complete 500 miles this year, 500 miles next year, than finish up in 2010.

Go for it you can do it.

brotheral
07-15-2008, 07:17
I drove by a billboard along the interstate that stated: "Put down those Chips and exercise your Hips. Start Walking !!" It's good for you :sun

SloHiker
07-16-2008, 08:53
The oldest official AT thru-hiker (Easy One) lives in my city. He's well into his 80's now and he still hikes all the time. If I recall correctly, Mr. Berry told me that he never hiked a day in his life until he was 50 or 51 yrs old. That ought to be encouraging to anyone :)

MoBill122
07-16-2008, 21:29
When I got the idea of hiking in my head, I couldn't walk the 500ft uphill road from my home without cramping up so bad I'd have to stop. Within a month, I was doing 9-10 miles around a local hilly park.
My first hike was SOLO, for 140 miles on the Alabama Pinhoti... I'm 56
Since then, I've hiked perhaps 20 trails in north Georgia and I feel in better shape now than I was in when I was in my 40's.

SunnyWalker
07-16-2008, 21:43
I'm 55 and going on 56 and plan on doing a thru hike when I'm 60. You can do it. It'll be the best time of your life.

kayak karl
07-16-2008, 21:53
I read this book 2 years ago and inspired me to start getting out more.
HEFT on WHEELS by Mike Magnuson http://www.amazon.com/Heft-Wheels-Field-Guide-Doing/dp/1400052408
Its not about hiking, but it is about making changes. good read!

buff_jeff
07-20-2008, 20:55
You're never too old. Don't let fear define you. Take the plunge, why not?

Wise Old Owl
07-20-2008, 21:31

There aren't any 95 year old fat people. There are tons of old hikers, I know I belong to their clubs. Gives me penance!

fiddlehead
07-20-2008, 22:52
OP is 49?
Definitely too old.

superman
07-20-2008, 23:46
You're way too old. You should be getting in the box. Stop consuming the limited food in the world. There are people in China that need the air you're breathing. Er,...did you say 49? Never mind.

Mariner
07-24-2008, 09:14
I completed a Thru hike last year at age 59 with my 23 yr old son. I had not hiked seriously in years and was 20 pounds overweight and did nothing to prepare physically.

Except for a few blisters at the start, I had no problems. As mentioned earlier, part of the secret is avoiding trying to do too much too soon.

We met a 73 year old grandmother and a 74 year old man (his fourth thru hike) who were both doing fine.

It helped me to be walking with my son as I sure didn't want to disappoint him by quiting. I am not particularly athletic but had no problem keeping up after the first 30 days or so. In fact, by the end, I put him in front of him so that I didn't have to keep waiting for him (my legs are longer and walk a little faster). I never was able to go uphill as fast as he could but by the end we were averaging 20+ mile days with 30+ whenever we wanted.

We didn't have a hard schedule and that helped as well.

I lost over 30 pounds in the course of the hike.

Obviously, everyone is different, but we met a lot of middle to older hikers who were successful. I don't think age is the critical factor.

Good luck.

superman
07-24-2008, 10:53
I'm leaving today to go hike in Sweden. Just do stuff that you're interested in.

Doctari
07-26-2008, 18:22
At (almost) 54, I often get my hiking butt kicked by people over 65. I SO wish I was 49 again ;)

gghiker
08-04-2008, 16:57
Hey, my plan is to hike the AT SOBO the spring I turn 62, I'm 54 now, I still hike when I can, it's never too old!:D Get out and just start, somewhere, anywhere....
Same age range for my NOBO, only I've got more years to wait. Just prayin' that my health holds up, esp knees. Now is there any question that you should do it? No way, don't put it off any longer. There's no better way to cure obesity than a few miles a day.

Heck, I'm just glad to see I won't be the only old guy out there, its seems all I ever run into are the young'uns.

mudhead
08-04-2008, 17:32
If you order in a restaurant, and they ask for money up front, you are too old.

Blissful
08-04-2008, 18:14
A guy in our hiking party last year got IDed in Dahlonega for a beer. He was around 50 and had the gray hair and beard, everything. It was pretty funny.

Lone Wolf
08-04-2008, 18:16
A guy in our hiking party last year got IDed in Dahlonega for a beer. He was around 50 and had the gray hair and beard, everything. It was pretty funny.

GA and TN law. EVERYBODY must be IDed

Blissful
08-04-2008, 18:24
I'm sure that was the case, but it was still kind of funny. The waitress laughed too.

Gator 65
11-23-2008, 09:54
49!
You should be so lucky! You have the dream the rest is just committment. I will start my thru hike from Springer in March with very little hiking experience and will turn 65 in Mid April. I am looking forward to my 7-8 mile days in the beginning. I'm old in numbers only. I have waited 35 years to hike this trail. Do not let anybody discourage you. You will find valuable advice and encourgement on this site. My wife thinks I'm crazy but supportive of the trip. She thought the same thing when I took up skiing 3 years ago when our son and daughter in law moved to Colorado. Go for it.

CowHead
11-23-2008, 16:51
In January I was 50 and wt 350 and I started walking 11 months later 51 and 237 and have hike 42 miles in 2 days your never to old or out of shape put one foot in front of the other and start walking

Ron Haven
11-23-2008, 18:58
Here I am by the Wayah Bald Shelter hiking and run upon a friend of mine from Florida.(Paw Paw) 92 yrs young :D
http://www.appalachiantrailservices.com/vbulletin/album.php?albumid=1&pictureid=15

Rockhound
11-23-2008, 19:48
theres a saying, if you think you're too old, you're right. If you think you're not too old, you're right also.

hurryinghoosier
11-23-2008, 20:07
I will turn 63 the first month on my 2009 thru.

twoshoes06
11-23-2008, 20:34
You are only too old if you believe you are too old.

I hiked with a 60 year old that hated hiking with others his age because they complained all the time. Therefore, he hiked with the younger crowd who enjoyed the freedom of the trail and he finished skinnier and healthier than when he started the trail.

You can do it. Just take it slow and easy and give you body time to adjust.

weary
11-24-2008, 00:17
Here I am by the Wayah Bald Shelter hiking and run upon a friend of mine from Florida.(Paw Paw) 92 yrs young :D
http://www.appalachiantrailservices.com/vbulletin/album.php?albumid=1&pictureid=15
I'm glad to hear he's still out there. I met Paw Paw on Saddleback during the controversy over the ski area. -- probably a decade or so ago. I used his photo and comments on the controversy in the MAINEtainer, the newsletter of MATC.

Weary

Bare Bear
11-24-2008, 13:16
You youngsters are so funny, of course you can do it.

Doctari
11-25-2008, 11:25
I think this was on a Nike ad a few years ago:

"You could get mauled by a bear & Die. You could get bit by a snake & Die. You could fall off a cliff & Die. You could get struck by lightning & Die. Or, you could stay home, sit on the couch, eat potato chips, & Die."

Personally I would rather be out there doing!

How about you?

BTW: I'll trade you ages. Oh, to be 5 years younger,,,,,,

And as stated above, hiking the trail will take care of the weight problem in short order. I lost 28 Lbs in 20 days earlier this year: I'm 54, about 60 Lbs overweight & I did it.

Montego
01-11-2009, 23:26
Back on the web with a new 'puter now. My old desktop finally bit the dust after 6 years, or so. I decided to try a lap top this time and have discovered that it still misspells just as bad as the 'ole desktop one did :D.

As some of you know, my daughter yelled for me to come back home, nine days into my thru-hike (just long enough to get the bugs worked out and get a good start on developing my 'trail leggs'), last May.

After getting a few things taken care of here in Oklahoma City, I had planned on heading back to the trail to continue on, in May 2009.

I had kept a secret, but after meeting some of you on the trail and being "BLOWN AWAY" by the friendliness and kindness of y'all (especially KIRBY, COOKIE, LUCKY, the people at the Concervency in Harpers Ferry, to name a few), I feel that a confession is owed.

I hit the trail last May, a bit phycally challenged. Unfortunately, my handicap has progressed to the point that I no longer think that it would be wise (for my own safety) to continue onward (It's getting to be a challenge to even walk a straight line now - and, no Officer, I'm not drunk :eek: :D).

So, that being said, my apologies to all my fellow hikers and to the keepers of the trail. Guess I'm relevated to being a cyber-hiker now, and we all know what we think about them!!!

Montego

Kanati
01-12-2009, 11:38
What are you waiting on? Get out there, but, but, but, take it easy at first. If you've been living a sedentary lifestyle, you don't need to start overstressing your cardio system. Be sure to have a complete physical, especially if you have had any past heart/bp issues, or if there is a history of it in your family. One advantage of age is wisdom. Use it.

I was 61 when I started last March. I hiked from Springer to Grafton Notch, ME in 120 days, 160 days total if you count zero's. No record, but not bad. I had worked out for 5 months before starting. I suggest you do the same and focus on dropping some weight first. As a matter of fact, some of the best hikers I met were formerly over weight, some of them very over weight. They had lots of leg strength which came in handy when the weight came off.

Go for it!! and happy hiking. :sun

Rockhound
01-12-2009, 12:00
In 1816 there was no Kansas City MO. There was however a Fort Osage on the fringe of what was then the American frontier. In that year Ft. Osage was visited by Daniel Boone. He was dead set on continuing his journey west to explore the virgin forests, crystal lakes and rivers and snow capped mountains. The troops tried to talk him out of it. They reported that many a man had attempted this trek never to return again. Boone went anyway. He hiked for over 1000 miles across what is now Nebraska, into the Rockies eventually crossing into what is now Wyoming and on into Yellowstone country. Needless to say, it was a rugged journey. Boone was threatened by indians but eluded them. He was besieged by bad weather but survived. He made it 1000 miles into the rugged wilderness and back on a journey that had taken the lives of many men before him. In and of itself this tale is unremarkable. He was after all, Daniel Boone. What is remarkable is that in 1816, when Boone began his adventure, he was 82 years old.

nufsaid
01-12-2009, 12:29
I think this was on a Nike ad a few years ago:

"You could get mauled by a bear & Die. You could get bit by a snake & Die. You could fall off a cliff & Die. You could get struck by lightning & Die. Or, you could stay home, sit on the couch, eat potato chips, & Die."

I love getting outside. But why choose bears, snakes or lightening if you have a choice. Don't avoid the outdoors because you are afraid of death. Then you are already dead. But don't dismiss there are other important thing besides nature. If you were to finish a trip and then come home to the couch for a day and enjoy some yummy chips, with loved ones both human and canine, would that be inferior to the bear?

hikingshoes
01-12-2009, 13:56
reading all this makes me feel better,here im 45 hurt back and waqnting to thru-hike the AT.hope i can do that down the road.

Grampie
01-12-2009, 14:08
By far you are not too old. I did my thru when I was 66. It was the greatest adventure I have ever been on. :)

superman
01-12-2009, 14:45
Yes, you're way too old. Now get back in the box, stop wasting air and cross your arms on your chest...again.:)

BR360
01-12-2009, 18:36
You can do it. Just go on a few weekenders to get ypour legs back under you, pace yourself and go have a great time.

I started hiking and trail running 4 years ago after a layoff of 7 years. This summer, I did 50 miles in 2 days. (This is not bragging, because there are some real animals my age that make that look like a warm-up jaunt!!) It's just to give you an idea of what you can do if you put your mind (and body) to it.

Have a great time renewing yourself on the trail. Hope to see you ouot there!

TOW
01-12-2009, 19:34
I am 48, fat, bald, wear glasses, dern good looking and I just hiked the entire width of the AT in less than 3.5 seconds!

MoBill122
01-12-2009, 20:18
Goodness... I met a fellow this pass weekend at Gooch Gap that was 81 years old. He had more spunk than me, and I'm just a youngster of 57 !